Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

Can we whip up some fake box art for this thing and include quotes like this.

Stolen from EA's NHL forums:

"EA Sports..... We won't tell you if IT'S IN THE GAME!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That video has been leaked before. We've already commented on it. It's also 2 months old, so it's likely tweaked since.

e:

Hockles posted:

Views from that video:

• The puck is still glued to the end of the puckholder's stick
  • The goalie defaults to the "splits while on his rear end" save
  • Skating looks exactly the same, save for one bit where the LA defenseman did a realistic looking crossover
  • Skating backwards with the puck up the ice is still a thing
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The energy meters are no longer red/yellow/green
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The puck doesn't bounce 7 feet in the air during a dump-in
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The goalie's pass now FLIES out of his glove

So, yep. NHL 14 sponsored by NBC.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah, that video is blocked though. I noticed the date on the vid after I posted it :S

I can't wait to see Rammer's twitter when the game goes live without any of the old modes.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Diet Crack posted:

I can't wait to see Rammer's twitter when the game goes live without any of the old modes.

If you happen to do a Twitter, follow a guy @WE_WANT_EASHL for laughs. For example, he retweeted a dude that posted Rammer's direct extension.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

KiddieGrinder posted:

"We at EA heard the player's cries, and knew that the number one most requested feature for the next iteration of the best* hockey game was cloth dynamics, and we feel we have delivered on that promise!"

*only

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I love how they did the fans up like American football fans at a tailgate party. All they had to do was add beer cups and have 1 in every 5 fans sending text messages.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

cname posted:

I love how they did the fans up like American football fans at a tailgate party. All they had to do was add beer cups and have 1 in every 5 fans sending text messages.

Or the ACC special: lower bowl filled with rich children and bored businessmen would couldn't be bothered to cheer or put their BBs down for more than a second.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Or the ACC special: lower bowl filled with rich children and bored businessmen would couldn't be bothered to cheer or put their BBs down for more than a second.

Also not pictured, giant blocks of empty seats.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

Also not pictured, giant blocks of empty seats.

Hey, those beer lines at intermission can be rough. Also, WHERE DO ALL THESE RICH PEOPLE loving GO?!

Anecdotally a friend of mine won 11th row tickets a few years ago. We went all super fan with the paint, wigs, capes and lack of shirts. A CBC crew even stopped us to get some B-roll footage of cheering and walking to our seats. Then we got there. Very few times have I felt more out of place in my life. Some lady asked if I could stop screaming and cheering as it was ruining the experience for her and her husband.

Also even cooler side note, that game was against Calgary (home and home I believe) and Sundin scored his 500th career goal. In overtime. Short handed. And it was his 3rd of the night. gently caress that man was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VNL1qgpjGo

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

JoelJoel posted:

Anecdotally a friend of mine won 11th row tickets a few years ago. We went all super fan with the paint, wigs, capes and lack of shirts. A CBC crew even stopped us to get some B-roll footage of cheering and walking to our seats. Then we got there. Very few times have I felt more out of place in my life. Some lady asked if I could stop screaming and cheering as it was ruining the experience for her and her husband.

Wow, that's pretty lame. Toronto?

I once sat like 4th row off the glass behind the goal at the Shark Tank in San Jose and it was as wild as I expected.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Luceo posted:

I once sat like 4th row off the glass behind the goal at the Shark Tank in San Jose and it was as wild as I expected.

I sat in the 2nd row behind the nets in the ACC once. The guys in front of me were the stereotypical 'never watch the game' business types. They just sat there and discussed some case they were working on and left about 10 minutes into the second period. You could've heard a pin drop for the vast majority of the game it was so quiet around me. The most enthusiastic people were the guys walking around taking beer orders. Everyone sat their quietly like it was their solemn duty to pay attention as long as necessary but not to disturb anyone on the ice. I spend the entire game getting rather drunk on very expensive beers with my buddy who got me the tickets. I wouldn't do that again.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I get insanely drunk at hockey games. I start off loud, spirited and enthusiastic, but after the 4th or 5th beer, I just sit there 100% focused, jaw a-gape. (:stonk: <- Me watching hockey.) When my team scores, I jump up, start cheering and realize holy poo poo, I'm way more drunk than I thought.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If you remember how you got home from a hockey game you're no true fan.

Unless you're getting home from Kanata. That hour long bus ride will sober you up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

JoelJoel posted:

Hey, those beer lines at intermission can be rough. Also, WHERE DO ALL THESE RICH PEOPLE loving GO?!

There are a bunch of luxury boxes underneath the seats of the 100 level. So where you see the players leave the dressing rooms, there's a long hallway with sponsored rooms for corporate people to dip into to get snacks and stuff.

I doubt that's where ALL of them go, but still it's interesting. If you're in the Toronto area, you can take a tour of the ACC and see all this poo poo, it's cool.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Diet Crack posted:

Haha, fucker hasn't blocked me yet.

@Rammer34 You are to the NHL title what lymphomas are to in-patients. Something we all pray to find a cure for.

I'm in process of reading through the whole thread, so this is a Real Old Post© but I have to ask if you've been a thorn in the side of EA on Twitter for a long time?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Chairman Wao posted:

I'm in process of reading through the whole thread, so this is a Real Old Post© but I have to ask if you've been a thorn in the side of EA on Twitter for a long time?

EA mole spotted.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Luceo posted:

Yeah, I can confirm that even in the upper levels where the plebes sit, joining a Go Leafs Go chant can get you dirty looks.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Add me, your pal doomocrat, to your PS4 friends list. And for the love of god don't invite me to anything organized past a pickup game.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah, I can confirm that even in the upper levels where the plebes sit, joining a Go Leafs Go chant can get you dirty looks.

Well, it is Toronto, perhaps no one wants to get their hopes too far up?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

cname posted:

EA mole spotted.

Nah, just phone posting instead of working.

Phone crew represent.

E: Also just had to make a reference to a N/V thread from this past season. It was the best N/V thread I've ever read.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 15, 2014

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I've posted on Rammers wall like 3 times, and told them their videos aren't gameplay videos on youtube. A number of people in this thread have been telling him he's a moron.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Overhead gameplay video coming today supposedly.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
EAs silence confirms this game will suck rear end. Why not send out the PR dogs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why bother, the game literally doesn't matter to EA as long as Madden and FIFA continue to sell crazy numbers. They just keep making NHL games because they have the license and it's not actually losing them money yet.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm no fancy videogame maker, but wouldn't the stuff people want require less effort than the poo poo EA is trying to sell, which nobody cares about?

It's like telling a child to rake the leaves and having him ask if you want him to also mow the grass, trim the hedges, prune the oak tree and bust out the weed wacker for the hard to get spots. You're like "No, just rake the leaves. You're only 8 years old, you can't handle all that poo poo." Then you come home to find the entire yard in shambles.

"No no, really, we don't need dynamic cloth technology. Just make it so passes don't go right through people's legs. No, really, nobody cares that the jerseys don't flap in the breeze, it's not import--- aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh you're doing it anyway. Guess it's too late to stop you, at this point."

cname fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 15, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Their codebase is probably such a festering pile of crap that changing anything probably requires a major effort.

But at least with DYNAMIC CLOTH TECHNOLOGY they can get some headlines on news sites and maybe trick a few people into buying it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hope you guys are ready for Dynamic Cloth Technology(TM) in the brand new Stadium Series(TM) mode.

Also, practice mode.

But, it's okay. The overall rating has a colored meter around the number on the player info screen.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The new video today is so bad. Everything about it is bad. The game is the same except much worse. The new commentary blows. I don't want this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kklp7UzMiE

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

The new video today is so bad. Everything about it is bad. The game is the same except much worse. The new commentary blows. I don't want this game.

Come on man look at those jerseys majestically fluttering as the players skate. How does that not inspire a pre-order?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pleads posted:

I'm happy they still have the "Score goal / cut to player fistbumping the bench players" transition

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haha that looks so terrible. Emrick sounds like he's been huffing helium, all his commentary is like a half second late and they somehow managed to not use a single one of his catchphrases.

Also the hockey looks bad. Lots of animations unable to keep pace with the inputs they're being given.

I don't really get why they're trying to make it look more like a broadcast, unless NBC wheeled up a giant truck of money to Rammer's house. If they're trying to make hockey super realistic, why is it from the fan's perspective rather than the player's perspective?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's a second, longer gameplay. lol at the first goal and then this hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Te6rNysJQ&t=123s

also lol at Sharp with the puck at 2:10 and the goal from 2:30-2:38. Come on is every loving goal a dumb toe drag clipping through poo poo??

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 15, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That new gliding thing looks really weird and stupid

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the gently caress is going on with goalies feet in the warmup? It's like they're making cotton candy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Haha and the first goal of their highlight package is scored in the same place and exact same way I've scored like 90% goals since NHL 10 where the goalies get retarded.

And my those jerseys are dynamic! They look as though they were made of the silkiest silk they could find. So flappy!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

eXXon posted:

also lol at Sharp with the puck at 2:10 and the goal from 2:30-2:38. Come on is every loving goal a dumb toe drag clipping through poo poo??

New Dynamic Intangible 5/3/4-Hole Technology™

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

No EASHL on ps4 or xbox one according to official game box art

http://www.costco.com/NHL-15-PlayStation-4-Video-Game.product.100127446.html

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Cool. See you guys next year!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Hockles posted:

Cool. See you guys next year!

With revolutionary next-gen 12 person multiplayer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
What did NHL14 have on the box for EASHL?

eXXon posted:

There's a second, longer gameplay. lol at the first goal and then this hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Te6rNysJQ&t=123s

The goal at 2:53 went right through the goalie's leg pad like they always do. Also lol @ the fact that the sit-down animation is still there for goalies.

cname fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread