Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can't say I find that controller agreeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That looks edible, somehow.

First glance I thought it was a cake.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The original MGS seems to be the only one with a decent plot, the rest (including MGS' own predecessors) just went off the loving rails.

MGS3 is pretty self-contained too, and is also a good starting point if you can get used to the controls.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Well gently caress, my ps4 seems to be broken. I was afraid something was going to happen after hearing all the stories in here and it did. I finished playing a game and after I put it on standby it would beep a couple of times in intervals, so i turned it back on and it still beeped. after a bit it beeped in quick succession and then stopped. Today I tried to put a disc in and it wouldn't take it. It seems like the disc drive is busted somehow. Why couldn't they just do something like the ps2 disc drive instead of this feeding in and out bullshit? Is there a fix for this or do I have to see about getting a new ps4? I've only had the system since the spring and it already broke. Gutted.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The original MGS seems to be the only one with a decent plot, the rest (including MGS' own predecessors) just went off the loving rails.

MG1 is actually pretty contained and cool honestly. It would make an awesome Dredd/The Raid type movie without having to change too much. MG2 though yeah, uh, good thing all these children mysteriously vanished and went to Outer Heaven so no one will know that the US blew up South Africa :wtc:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That looks edible, somehow.

Rinkles posted:

It's faux Cheeto dust. :cheeky:

edit: Oh yeah, speaking of broken PS4s: After the 1.75 update, mine no longer appears to charge my controller in standby.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Sorry if this is adding too much to the fire but get this if you want to relieve some UI worries. Just say the game title (even partial, after pressing L2 or saying "PlayStation") and it jumps to it.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Yeah the controller skins are kinda bad because of how limited the area they cover is so they end up looking like a mish mash of black/orange. At least the official colored controllers look sweet as hell (except the camo one).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mrEkli posted:

Sorry if this is adding too much to the fire but get this if you want to relieve some UI worries. Just say the game title (even partial, after pressing L2 or saying "PlayStation") and it jumps to it.

Any mic will do that though. But yeah the camera is always connected/on

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Has anyone tried upgrading their HDDs with the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2tb external drive?

It's available on sale for $110 :canada: which is much cheaper than even 1.5s

Guide on the install is https://imgur.com/a/JF5jA

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Math You posted:

Has anyone tried upgrading their HDDs with the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2tb external drive?

I settled for a 1tb SSHD, when I picked my system. A good price break between a HD and a SSD speeds.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Math You posted:

I upgrade with this exact drive last week, went off without a hitch.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Math You posted:

Yes, a lot of people did. It's great, you'll have around 1700GB's left for space.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

smuh posted:

Yeah the controller skins are kinda bad because of how limited the area they cover is so they end up looking like a mish mash of black/orange. At least the official colored controllers look sweet as hell (except the camo one).

I think the white controller looks kinda dumb and they should have left the textured bottom/back black, the custom painted ones that popped up when the PS4 first came out looked way better.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

That loving Sned posted:

MGS3 is pretty self-contained too, and is also a good starting point if you can get used to the controls.

The Subsistence version with regards to the controls--it allows you to move the camera freely with the right stick.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

il serpente cosmico posted:

The Subsistence version with regards to the controls--it allows you to move the camera freely with the right stick.

You still cannot aim a gun and move at the same time as you could in 4 or Peace Walker(at least not with manual aim) which takes a bit of getting used to after something like 10 years of almost every 3rd person action game in existence using the same basic control set up. MGS3 is still the best game in the series though, and once you are used to the shooting controls, they are fine.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
More Share Play info, 60 minute time limit, no info if that's total or per session. http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/08/14/ps4-s-share-play-will-have-time-limit-according-to-sources

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
That makes no sense and is coming from some obscure french gaming site. Doubt its true.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bobby2times posted:

That makes no sense and is coming from some obscure french gaming site. Doubt its true.

It's a (somewhat inconvenient) way of letting someone play a game for free. Someone somewhere on the game making/publishing side surely objected to giving us completely free reign (as benign to sales as the that probably would've been in the grand scheme of things).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
So instead of just saving me the hassle of having to be the in same room as the person I wanna coop with who could be across the country now it's pretty much useless to me if that's true. Sure hope it isn't.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rinkles posted:

It's a (somewhat inconvenient) way of letting someone play a game for free. Someone somewhere on the game making/publishing surely objected to giving us completely free reign (as benign to sales as the that probably would've been in the grand scheme of things).

So is it like the way nintendo did this? Where if person A buys Mario Kart, but person B doesn't have it, then person B can join person A's multiplayer game for awhile? That kind of thing?

Or like if I don't have a game, I can basically just get a free trial for a period of time? Sorry if I'm being dense, but searching for this is just making me more confused.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Rinkles posted:

It's a (somewhat inconvenient) way of letting someone play a game for free. Someone somewhere on the game making/publishing side surely objected to giving us completely free reign (as benign to sales as the that probably would've been in the grand scheme of things).

It's metaphorically the same as sitting on a sofa and handing them a controller. You aren't losing game sales by only one copy of the game and having two people sit on a sofa and play it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Chompers posted:

More Share Play info, 60 minute time limit, no info if that's total or per session. http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/08/14/ps4-s-share-play-will-have-time-limit-according-to-sources

Full (my) translation from the original article to avoid translation issue speculation:

quote:

INFO GAMEBLOG. Live from Gamescom, we just met with Jim Ryan of Playstation Europe for an interview. While waiting for the whole story, here's first-grade fresh info pertaining to the famous "Share Play" feature announced yesterday during the Sony conference!

We actually asked about the limits and restrictions of such a system, which offers a player who doesn't own a particular game to play it anyway if a friend with PS+ owns it, and here's Jim Ryan's response:

"There is a limit, and a very generous one in my opinion: 60 minutes of game time. Also, if I'm a PS+ member and you aren't, I can invite you to play even if you're not a PS+ member.

That said, if you want to play against me, competitively, you have to be a PS+ member."

But could we relaunch multiple 60-minute sessions in a row?

"The plan, basically, is 60 minutes, that's all I can say right now."

There you have it, two major bits of info learned during our interview, stay tuned for the full interview coming soon!

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 14, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Platypus Farm posted:

So is it like the way nintendo did this? Where if person A buys Mario Kart, but person B doesn't have it, then person B can join person A's multiplayer game for awhile? That kind of thing?

Or like if I don't have a game, I can basically just get a free trial for a period of time? Sorry if I'm being dense, but searching for this is just making me more confused.
I think it's the former.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

If you both have (or just the owner?) PS+, the person w/o the game can control the owner's game remotely over the internet. Whatever game, wherever each of you is. The question is whether there's there's a time limit, and whether/how often it resets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Without some kind of limit on Share Play every single PS4 is a Gakai server and I doubt that Sony or the game publishers wants that to happen.

With unlimited Share Play there would almost certainly be internet-enabled Share Play groups of people who don't know each other and who would be dedicated to sharing games while away from their console. Example: I leave Far Cry 4 in the disk drive, post on the forum that MMJS's PS4 is available, somebody gets on it to play and I go to work. This is what will happen to it without restrictions, same thing that happened with PSN Games sharing.

It's not quite the same as sitting on the sofa, unfortunately. I would much rather have Share Play with no time limit but that only worked with a predefined group of a dozen people or so - much better functionality IMO.

Edit: 60 minute limit would loving suck and make this basically worthless.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 14, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BitBasher posted:

It's metaphorically the same as sitting on a sofa and handing them a controller. You aren't losing game sales by only one copy of the game and having two people sit on a sofa and play it.

I know, I don't think there's a good reason to restrict it (unless there's some significant cost to Sony involved). It's generally too inconvenient to easily "abuse", on top of the experience probably being significantly inferior to native play. But I can see why publishers could be wary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just a reminder -

Save $15 on any video game in stock priced $39.99 or higher when you buy any pre-order card for $1 at Target Stores

I'm gonna try to get Rayman Legends for $25 and probably pre-order Diablo 3. Not sure if I'll actually pick it up but apparently you'll get a $5 voucher off that game that your $1 goes towards.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Without some kind of limit on Share Play every single PS4 is a Gakai server and I doubt that Sony or the game publishers wants that to happen.

With unlimited Share Play there would almost certainly be internet-enabled Share Play groups of people who don't know each other and who would be dedicated to sharing games while away from their console. Example: I leave Far Cry 4 in the disk drive, post on the forum that MMJS's PS4 is available, somebody gets on it to play and I go to work. This is what will happen to it without restrictions, same thing that happened with PSN Games sharing.

It's not quite the same as sitting on the sofa, unfortunately. I would much rather have Share Play with no time limit but that only worked with a predefined group of a dozen people or so - much better functionality IMO.

They could just make it not work for more than 60 minutes unless you're active on the base console so coop was possible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

"a very generous limit"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It'll have some sort of limit I'm sure. Still, a great way to advertise games to your friends. Publishers see the value in demoing, they just don't want to spend a lot of time/resources putting together a good demo.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 14, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So what if both people own the game, but it doesn't have online coop (Towerfall!!)? I can't think of anything outside of that example but drat is it frustrating that I can't play this with my friends.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

So what if both people own the game, but it doesn't have online coop (Towerfall!!)? I can't think of anything outside of that example but drat is it frustrating that I can't play this with my friends.

This function is going to be built into the game, not the OS.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Lblitzer posted:

Lego Marvel too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

This function is going to be built into the game, not the OS.

You sure about that?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

That doesn't sound like a big deal really, there's still only 1 player to a copy and they won't be able to load their own saves.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lblitzer posted:

Guacamelee was a big one for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This seems identical to using remote play, only the target is another PS4 and not a Vita, and that's built into the OS.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tempo 119 posted:

That doesn't sound like a big deal really, there's still only 1 player to a copy and they won't be able to load their own saves.

Games like Assassin's Creed have 3 slots for saves, so conceivably you could save your progress and not overwrite your host's settings. And if you don't own the game there's no save to import/load anyway.

I'm not saying it would be free games for everyone but it definitely could cut into the revenue stream hard, particularly on games with 5 - 10 hour campaigns (campaigns that you can shotgun down in one or two marathon sessions, basically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

You sure about that?

I guess not. I thought they said it would be with select games but they're saying it's anything.

• Locked thread