Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I've gotten in the habit of making larger starters than I need and bottling the leftovers from a pitch. I've got two undecanted mason jars full of WLP090 San Diego Super and various other lager strain jars from earlier this year that I've made off of one vial each. It also helps that I have a super awesome 5L flask to help with that process.

I've asked before and didn't get a response. I have about 6 pounds of crushed Belgian Pale Malt that my recipe calls for toasting at 350F for 25 minutes. Who toasts their malt, can I do it crushed, and what process do you use (what do you lay it on, soak it in, etc.)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

LaserWash posted:

I've gotten in the habit of making larger starters than I need and bottling the leftovers from a pitch. I've got two undecanted mason jars full of WLP090 San Diego Super and various other lager strain jars from earlier this year that I've made off of one vial each. It also helps that I have a super awesome 5L flask to help with that process.

I've asked before and didn't get a response. I have about 6 pounds of crushed Belgian Pale Malt that my recipe calls for toasting at 350F for 25 minutes. Who toasts their malt, can I do it crushed, and what process do you use (what do you lay it on, soak it in, etc.)?

I just put it on top of parchment on a sheet pan. If you wet it you'd probably get more caramel flavors as opposed to toasty for dry, as wet and warm will start conversion. I've only toasted whole malt, I'd think crushed would darken a lot quicker so maybe cut the time down idunno. Are you sure it calls for toasting a full 6 pounds? How big is the entire grain bill?

edit: forgot the standard direction to let toasted malt rest a couple weeks before using it, probably a good idea just in case your recipe didn't mention it

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 11, 2014

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

If I bust my rear end I can get 85%, to get that I mash out to 170F in the kettle then move the bag to a 1 gallon dunk sparge at 165F for 10 min, but it's not worth it in terms of effort or outcome I don't think. I just use more malt and skip the sparge which puts me at 70-75%. Squeezing the bag is harmless so do it, high temp/high pH combo is where tannins become an issue. Do you know anything about your water or resulting mash pH? If not then that's the red flag for me - if you're outside the good range the enzymes can't really do their jobs. I couldn't see your recipe but assuming it was mostly or all pale malts then water is even more of an issue.

I hit 85% yesterday I think. My overall efficiency for one of my two batches was at 85% and the other at 82%. I was absolutely over the moon, slightly finer crush, better bag squeezing. Both were a preboil target of 1.038, one hit 1.044 and the other 1.043 so I was happy.

With the person regarding APA/IPA recipes - try this (this is for 20 litres batch size 70% eff)
4.36kg pale malt
250g each carapils and caramunich

Otherwise my other base recipe is 91% base malt, 9% caramalt, but you can sub 20% of your base for either rye or wheat and have a completely different beer.

As for hop additions think 10 IBU each at 60, 20 and 10, with a 5 IBU 10 minute hop stand after boiling. For an IPA up that to 10-20 IBU.
Best hop options are something like Amarillo, Columbus, centennial, basically anything higher-alpha with large amounts of aromatics. Hope that helps?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

McSpergin posted:

4.36kg pale malt
250g each carapils and caramunich

I'm actually thinking the carapils and caramunich numbers are different iirc so I will check these when I get home and confirm but it's basically a modified Sierra Nevada pale ale base recipe

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
First time brewing. Everything went kinda ok (late fermentation start) and I racked to my secondary after I measured a gravity of 1.012 (OG was 1.042). But now suddenly, 2 days later, I'm seeing white things grow on the surface of my brew.

I'm talking about the white stringy things. They are spiralling outwards from the middle, 1 cm apart. Are these yeast rafters or am I looking at an infection?

Brew is a Brewpaks Californian Steam beer beerkit. Brewferm lager yeast. Cellar temperature is constant 20 Celsius.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It looks like yeast.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
20 degrees Celsius is really warm for a lager yeast. I'm not sure what the range on the one is, but it's higher than any lager yeast I've seen.

Edit: yeah, you're definitely well over the temp range for that yeast.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 12, 2014

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno
This is kind of a stupid question, but is there an easy way to get fruit into a carboy? My bottleneck seems to be the thin neck of the carboy. I might just :homebrew: for a big mouth bubbler.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

WAIL posted:

This is kind of a stupid question, but is there an easy way to get fruit into a carboy? My bottleneck seems to be the thin neck of the carboy. I might just :homebrew: for a big mouth bubbler.

A blender.

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno

I sould have mentioned I tried that. When I pour the fruit goop through my funnel it clogs opening and
I'm forced to push it through with the end of a spoon. I did find a wide mouth funnel here that looks like it'll work for me though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

WAIL posted:

I sould have mentioned I tried that. When I pour the fruit goop through my funnel it clogs opening and
I'm forced to push it through with the end of a spoon. I did find a wide mouth funnel here that looks like it'll work for me though.

Shrug. I just push it through myself.

Speaking of I really need to brew my raspberry wheat...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

rockcity posted:

20 degrees Celsius is really warm for a lager yeast. I'm not sure what the range on the one is, but it's higher than any lager yeast I've seen.

Edit: yeah, you're definitely well over the temp range for that yeast.

It's a California Common. Isn't that sort of the thing with that style?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Glottis posted:

It's a California Common. Isn't that sort of the thing with that style?

20C is 68F -- I thought for Cal Common you were supposed to go on the low ale-temp side, like 60F.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It will probably be ok anyhow, but might need to sit longer. How does it smell? I recall some guy on the Sunday session who won an award for his lager and I'm pretty sure it was fermented and stored at room temp, just for a bit longer than usual. (I might be misremembering and it did primary at lager temps and aged at room temp.)

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

more falafel please posted:

20C is 68F -- I thought for Cal Common you were supposed to go on the low ale-temp side, like 60F.

Yeah, but it'll probably be fine. Keeping it at 20 now won't hurt it anyway, no matter what temp it fermented at.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Whoops, yeah you are right.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I had an order from the Yeast Bay that died in transit. The USPS said the package would be delivered on Monday the 11th but I got home Sunday evening to find the package sitting in my mailbox. This means it was delivered Saturday morning and endured 36 hours in a black oven of death.

I pitched it anyway, hoping for the best, but after a day and a half of no action it's apparent it was DOA.

So can anyone help me find a suitable replacement? My LHBS stocks a good amount of the white labs strains.

The yeast was the Wallonian Farmhouse and I was pitching it into what would become a dark saison. The gravity is 1.072. Temperature will be right around 75-77.

Honestly, at this point I'm just super bummed about this batch. I was stoked to try that yeast. So maybe I can take it in a completely different direction. I don't know. But I'm up for ideas.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I would wait on activity longer than a day and a half, personally. If only a small amount survived it might just take a while. You weren't planning on making a starter?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I'm trying to finalize my brew in a bag witbier recipe and I'm trying to decide if I should go with white wheat or flaked wheat. White wheat would be the easier way to go but I guess unmalted raw wheat is the authentic way to do it. Anyone have any experience making like a 50% flaked wheat beer? It looks like you just have to do some protein rest and hope you don't gently caress it up or something right?

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 13, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Wheat malt can self-convert, but flaked wheat will not, so keep that in mind.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

adebisi lives posted:

I'm trying to finalize my brew in a bag witbier recipe and I'm trying to decide if I should go with white wheat or flaked wheat. White wheat would be the easier way to go but I guess unaltered raw wheat is the authentic way to do it. Anyone have any experience making like a 50% flaked wheat beer? It looks like you just have to do some protein rest and hope you don't fun it up or something right?

I just did a lambic with 30% flaked wheat. I did a glucan rest for 20 minutes at ~112F, and a 20 minute protein rest at 122F. I also did separate beta and alpha sacch rests, but that's probably not necessary with the witbier.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
So, if I brew a fairly big tripel (1.085ish) can I do a second sparge and make a small beer with the runnings?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Saw these growing on a walk. Can anyone identify the variety?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are hop varieties really visibly different?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

withak posted:

Are hop varieties really visibly different?
I don't know, I've only ever bought them from a brew supply store :) How can I figure out what variety it is ?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Glottis posted:

I would wait on activity longer than a day and a half, personally. If only a small amount survived it might just take a while. You weren't planning on making a starter?

Turned out this was the correct option. I got home about 15 minutes ago and found my air lock bubbling away. Definitely a much slower stay than I'm used to.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Turned out this was the correct option. I got home about 15 minutes ago and found my air lock bubbling away. Definitely a much slower stay than I'm used to.

Yeah, assuming you did the other things that usually lead to a quick start (oxygenation, servomyces), it's probably just because the yeast had lower viability than normal. Probably won't be a big deal at all but will likely attenuate on the lower end of the spectrum.

Glad you didn't dump it out!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

calcio posted:

I don't know, I've only ever bought them from a brew supply store :) How can I figure out what variety it is ?

You basically can't. If they smell good you could use them and not worry about what they are. I don't know how true this is but I've heard most wild hops growing in America are Cluster related.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
ow my table [dat hop image]

I've got some plums I picked yesterday in MI and am looking to press them and add them with some honey for a tasty mead. Don't try and stop me.

Also: I've got conflicting info and trust goons more - for using corn grits: I do a 30min boil and then add them to the mash, yes? Is a sacc rest enough? Do I do a protein rest too?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jacobey000 posted:

ow my table [dat hop image]

I've got some plums I picked yesterday in MI and am looking to press them and add them with some honey for a tasty mead. Don't try and stop me.

Also: I've got conflicting info and trust goons more - for using corn grits: I do a 30min boil and then add them to the mash, yes? Is a sacc rest enough? Do I do a protein rest too?

In one of my books it says to use corn grits but to precook them like rice then add them to the mash. But that was for a George Washington era beer so I don't know. Protein rest might help though maybe?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fluo posted:

In one of my books it says to use corn grits but to precook them like rice then add them to the mash. But that was for a George Washington era beer so I don't know. Protein rest might help though maybe?

You have to do a cereal mash (boiling them) if the the starches aren't already available for conversion. This means stuff like corn grits, etc. (flaked adjuncts are already run through a heated mill to burst the granules) I don't think you have to do a cereal mash for 30 minutes though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 14, 2014

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
There are also purely ornamental hop varieties out there, which is terrifying. Just smell them and decide if they seem good to use. Maybe you'll even be able to guess what they are.

A co-worker of mine has giant hop vines and has no idea what they are, they came with his house. He's going to pick them for me this year. Who knows?

pugnax posted:

So, if I brew a fairly big tripel (1.085ish) can I do a second sparge and make a small beer with the runnings?
If that 1.085 includes the sugar adjunct then the mash may not be that strong, of course. It's a mistake I've made before.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
Wait until they're papery, then you can pick those hops. Crush them in your hands and give them a smell. If you plan on using them, I wouldn't use them for bittering because you don't know their alpha acid content. Just use them for their aromatic qualities.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Angry Grimace posted:

You have to do a cereal mash (boiling them) if the the starches aren't already available for conversion. This means stuff like corn grits, etc. (flaked adjuncts are already run through a heated mill to burst the granules) I don't think you have to do a cereal mash for 30 minutes though.

Yeah, the ones I have a likely not heated or treated in anyway - they are heriloom grits from a local farm.

local hippies posted:

Hazzard Free Farm products are always whole grain, stone milled to preserve the taste and quality. We do not fumigate
our grains through the use of gas or chemicals. Industrial mills produce flour that is altered due to high heat conditions
during milling. Our flours contain the germ and bran they are un-bromated, un-bleached and un-altered by the
addition of additives.

They are also a blend red, purple, blue, and yellow corn - for added fun. My plan is to boil them for 30min then add them to the mash for sacc rest and hope for the best. Looks like BYO suggests that as an option too, thanks for the pointers.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

BerkerkLurk posted:

If that 1.085 includes the sugar adjunct then the mash may not be that strong, of course. It's a mistake I've made before.

poo poo. Yeah that definitely includes a good amount of sugar. Thanks for the heads up on that, totally didn't occur to me. But a big RIS or barley wine should be able to do a second sparge?

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Yeah that should work.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jacobey000 posted:

Yeah, the ones I have a likely not heated or treated in anyway - they are heriloom grits from a local farm.

They are also a blend red, purple, blue, and yellow corn - for added fun. My plan is to boil them for 30min then add them to the mash for sacc rest and hope for the best. Looks like BYO suggests that as an option too, thanks for the pointers.

I believe the normal thing you do is basically put 15% of your basemalt in with the adjunct, get it to sacc rest temp (like 155) for a few minutes, and then boil gently for 20 minutes or so. Then you put it in the main mash sort of like a step-mash.

I'm finally back in the brewing game after a several month absence! Got an IPA ready to go, but cleaning up unused equipment from 5 months ago was a pain.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

pugnax posted:

poo poo. Yeah that definitely includes a good amount of sugar. Thanks for the heads up on that, totally didn't occur to me. But a big RIS or barley wine should be able to do a second sparge?

You could probably just add sugar to the batch you make with the runnings. If the source is a tripel, presumably the result from the runnings would be something Belgian-y too so sugar wouldn't hurt. Maybe just split the planned sugar proportionally by volume between the two batches? Otherwise your tripel would be crazy strong if you had a 5 gallon batch worth of sugar in, say, a 3 gallon batch.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ieatsoap6 posted:

You could probably just add sugar to the batch you make with the runnings. If the source is a tripel, presumably the result from the runnings would be something Belgian-y too so sugar wouldn't hurt. Maybe just split the planned sugar proportionally by volume between the two batches? Otherwise your tripel would be crazy strong if you had a 5 gallon batch worth of sugar in, say, a 3 gallon batch.

Grain-bill wise, a tripel is pretty simple, usually just Pils and sugar, so it's not necessarily something Belgian-y. It could easily be a pilsner of some sort, or even a west-coast IPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Grain-bill wise, a tripel is pretty simple, usually just Pils and sugar, so it's not necessarily something Belgian-y. It could easily be a pilsner of some sort, or even a west-coast IPA.

There's a new brewery here (Wilmington Brewing Company if anyone is curious) that makes a great extra pale ale with just pils malt and crystal hops. So an American ale is definitely possible with the second runnings from a tripel.