Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Every RPG protagonist I ever play ends up Chaotic Good, saving the world while stealing every gold coin from every peasant's locked drawer is the only way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

verybad posted:

Alignment is a gameplay mechanic with very minor effects. Don't fret over it, just pick one that sounds appropriate and then play your character and make the kind of choices you think your character would make. That said, these games don't really tackle moral and ethical questions all that much, so there's not a lot of nuance and depth in that regard to them. They're murderhobo simulators after all.

Your alignment should match your party's in general for optimum efficiency though. Clerics care most about this, since they have a lot of spells that hit all characters of on an opposing alignment axis (good-evil). Icewind Dale is the worst - Righteous Fury of the Faithful is an awesome buff spell but it only works on people of the exact same alignment. Whoops!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think there's any downsides to being evil if you're not a cleric, other than a lower starting rep and being vulnerable to one cleric spell. It gives you a couple more dialogue options and alternative solutions to a few quests, but it's not like you're forced to do any of those things.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Eh, there's only two really relevant abilities when it comes to aligment: turn undead & holy smite. Turn undead charms undead instead if you're evil*, and you don't get holy smite (unholy smite is pretty much useless). If you do have holy smite, you don't want your frontliners to be evil because then it's not a party friendly AoE spell anymore.

* this is mostly a downside, but it does turn one of the "bad" options with Limited Wish into "Summon Vampires"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

verybad posted:

Eh, there's only two really relevant abilities when it comes to aligment: turn undead & holy smite. Turn undead charms undead instead if you're evil*, and you don't get holy smite (unholy smite is pretty much useless). If you do have holy smite, you don't want your frontliners to be evil because then it's not a party friendly AoE spell anymore.

* this is mostly a downside, but it does turn one of the "bad" options with Limited Wish into "Summon Vampires"

Honestly I think being an evil cleric for charm-undead is actually more useful - any undead encounter basically turns into free trash for you to throw into the next fight, which is more useful to you than just blowing them up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jabor posted:

Honestly I think being an evil cleric for charm-undead is actually more useful - any undead encounter basically turns into free trash for you to throw into the next fight, which is more useful to you than just blowing them up.

The thing is most fights where this is the case (in BG1/2, not so much in IWD) the other enemies are undead too so you might as well just turn them and blow them all up. One place I can think of off the top of my head where charming the undead was more pain than it was worth was the Unseeing Eye quests, tons of undead on lots of screens.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Jabor posted:

I disagree as I think that charming undead is more trouble than its worth. You still need to kill all these undead, while a high level good or neutral cleric can just instantly gib all of them. (For added fun, have the cleric go around turning undead under a Sanctuary spell. The undead all explode without even being able to attack the cleric.) Besides, charmed creatures that get killed fighting for you don't give you XP, meaning that if you throw undead to other enemies you are costing yourself XP.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
*casts oracle on factor VII's post*

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arivia posted:

D&D doesn't really work that way. As someone alluded to above it's very much its own thing. Build a character for Baldur's Gate; don't adapt one or you'll get frustrated at the game fighting you every step of the way.

This. It's really not worth trying to square peg that round hole. Just play the game on it's terms and you'll have more fun.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Let's say I wanted to plow through BG1 with a min/max'ed multiplayer party. What would be a good setup. Right now I've got:
Half-Orc Berserker
Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
Halfling Thief
Elf Archer
Gnome Illusionist
Human Skald

Will this party reasonably decimate everything? Should I make the thief an assassin? I still want to be able to pick locks and disable traps effectively.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
IMO assassins gain thieving skills too slowly to really be effective in BG1. Plus their strength is the x7 backstab which obviously you won't get to.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

rakovsky maybe posted:

IMO assassins gain thieving skills too slowly to really be effective in BG1. Plus their strength is the x7 backstab which obviously you won't get to.

Oh yeah, good point. I'll just roll with this setup then. I can't imagine anything being too much trouble.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

hamsystem posted:

Let's say I wanted to plow through BG1 with a min/max'ed multiplayer party. What would be a good setup. Right now I've got:
Half-Orc Berserker
Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
Halfling Thief
Elf Archer
Gnome Illusionist
Human Skald

Will this party reasonably decimate everything? Should I make the thief an assassin? I still want to be able to pick locks and disable traps effectively.

6x archer.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

hamsystem posted:

Half-Orc Berserker
Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
Halfling Thief
Elf Archer
Gnome Illusionist
Human Skald

If you want to min/max dump the skald for something else. Bards are pretty awful in BG1 and 2 as far as I'm aware.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

rakovsky maybe posted:

Assassins are just fine in BG1. Poison weapon on bows is amazing.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Iretep posted:

If you want to min/max dump the skald for something else. Bards are pretty awful in BG1 and 2 as far as I'm aware.

Their song seems pretty good but I guess I could offset what it brings with a second archer. Actually, I'm seriously considering 5 archers and 1 thief for traps and locks....

Old Thrashbarg
Dec 18, 2003
I'm starting a new BG2 game and I'm thinking of playing a Monk. I found them weak in 3rd edition D&D. In BG2, are they a powerful and interesting option? What sort of builds should I consider? Any items I should pursue?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They're a fighting class and in 2E that means there's only one build - pump the physical stats. But since monks are vaguely spiritual, they get the HP progression and strength limitations of a cleric. So you'll be getting 10 HP per level, maximum, and your native strength bonus will be +1 hit, +2 damage.

They're passable fighters in the midgame but they suffer even more than the other fighting classes as the series descends into caster supremacy. They get pretty impressive AC but in Throne of Bhaal AC barely matters, especially in comparison to resistance or outright denial of attacks. Their innate abilities don't scale and thus stunning fist becomes pretty useless about a third of the way through BG2, while quivering palm has such generous saving throws that it's obsolete as soon as you get it.* One day I'll get off my rear end and somehow fix the scaling problem, but until then pureclass monks are dogshit. I actually got a decent way through coding up a monk companion (this was years before the Enhanced Editions) but dropped the character because even with good stats he was dying without constant attention and I didn't want to cheese him.

The sun soul monk kit is actually pretty good, however, since unlike the vanilla monk their abilities scale very well through the games. Load your guy up with sneaking skills and he makes a pretty decent skirmisher / softener, cloaking and then unleashing direct damage fire and then running away. I haven't played the Moon monk but it seems like it would be less effective.

The idea of the monk as it was conceived in 3E, before Bioware awkwardly crammed it into BG2 (along with other 3E things like epic spells), was a skirmish fighter, fast and difficult to pin with spells or ranged fire (especially at high levels, when they pile up immunities and become ridiculously hard to put down), ideal for hit-and-run harassment combat. The infinity engine didn't really lend itself to that kind of play, and so monks just became a lesser fighting class. In the Enhanced Edition the shadowdancer basically plays the role the monk was supposed to and does it exceedingly well, since stealth isn't a one-shot gamble for them.

* though I remember that before BG2EE, stunning fist actually worked on a lot of stuff it shouldn't have - a strength-buffed monk could stunlock an adamantine golem and wear it down single-handedly.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 14, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So I asked a couple friends earlier on IRC and they had some ideas, but I wanted to ask the thread to be sure: what are the go-to weapon groups/weapons for a kensai in BG2? Suggestions were:

-Katanas (for Celestial Fury; might drop off in ToB)
-Flails (the Flail of Ages of course)
-Hammers (Crom Faeyr)
-Scimitars (to grab Belm for an early offhand)
-maybe Long Swords as just a general common option.

Anything else?

Also for new people: I just finished BG:EE at exactly 50 hours of playtime. That's doing everything in the original game, the expansion, and the added content for EE. That was with having completed the games multiple times before and using a walkthrough. It would probably be about 75 hours for a new player from scratch.

I'm hoping I can get BG2 done in under 100 hours; it's even larger. Basically the Baldur's Gate games are HUGE. Enjoy!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arivia posted:

So I asked a couple friends earlier on IRC and they had some ideas, but I wanted to ask the thread to be sure: what are the go-to weapon groups/weapons for a kensai in BG2? Suggestions were:

-Katanas (for Celestial Fury; might drop off in ToB)
-Flails (the Flail of Ages of course)
-Hammers (Crom Faeyr)
-Scimitars (to grab Belm for an early offhand)
-maybe Long Swords as just a general common option.

Anything else?

Also for new people: I just finished BG:EE at exactly 50 hours of playtime. That's doing everything in the original game, the expansion, and the added content for EE. That was with having completed the games multiple times before and using a walkthrough. It would probably be about 75 hours for a new player from scratch.

I'm hoping I can get BG2 done in under 100 hours; it's even larger. Basically the Baldur's Gate games are HUGE. Enjoy!

Well, if you're looking at long term, once you start getting ToB HLA's, there's a ton of poo poo you can do with 2 handed weapons and greater whirlwind.
Impaler (Spear) has huge amounts of damage potential and Silver Sword (Great Sword) has a 25% chance of invoking a save or die roll so that's certainly something to think about.

If you dig Flail of ages, there's The Defender of Easthaven available from a bonus merchant. If you're playing BG2:EE I'm pretty sure he's in there that makes a great offhand weapon because it provides bunch of protections and is a flail, so you don't have to mix and match proficiency. And, without spoiling too much, you can get 2 more heads for Flail of Ages once you're in Throne of Bhaal roper, so you should be fine sticking to it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It depends who you want to take with you more than which weapons work best with a Kensai. For example, Celestial Fury is the ideal mainhand weapon for Valygar or Haer'dalis, while FoA is ideal for Minsc. Long Swords are a good bet simply because none of the NPCs use them, you can get that +4 one from the graveyard straight out of Irenicus' dungeon, and Daystar as soon as you're confident enough to tackle that Lich.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

hamsystem posted:

Their song seems pretty good but I guess I could offset what it brings with a second archer. Actually, I'm seriously considering 5 archers and 1 thief for traps and locks....

Bards are fine, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fong posted:

It depends who you want to take with you more than which weapons work best with a Kensai. For example, Celestial Fury is the ideal mainhand weapon for Valygar or Haer'dalis, while FoA is ideal for Minsc. Long Swords are a good bet simply because none of the NPCs use them, you can get that +4 one from the graveyard straight out of Irenicus' dungeon, and Daystar as soon as you're confident enough to tackle that Lich.

I'm thinking Kensai/Mage PC/Keldorn/Mazzy (edited into a paladin)/Jaheira/Aerie/whichever one of Imoen or Yoshimo I have access to at a given moment. There's a lot of overlap but hopefully it's good overlap, if that makes sense.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

hamsystem posted:

Half-Orc Berserker
Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
Halfling Thief
Elf Archer
Gnome Illusionist
Human Skald

Bards are good but don't play a Skald into ToB without the Rogue Rebalancing mod and un-nerfed spellcasting tables.

Min-maxed party? Take a thief. The traps end all encounters where you get a chance to prepare (all liches, most dragons, Demogorgon, even the final boss of ToB).

Use a mage with Project Image - it's infinite spells on a mage, pretty much. http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/EndlessSpells.htm

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 14, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Trying to decide how to make a good fighter/thief. I want him to act as a frontliner that can do all the thief stuff too so I'm guessing the best combo is a berserker/swashbuckler. I don't care about backstabs so don't think I'm missing out on anything picking swashbuckler. What are some good end game weapons to pick for dual wielding? Also I'm guessing the best time to switch to swashbuckler is at lvl 9 berserker.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 14, 2014

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Iretep posted:

Trying to decide how to make a good fighter/thief. I want him to act as a frontliner that can do all the thief stuff too so I'm guessing the best combo is a berserker/swashbuckler.

You can't dual into a kit.

Take a fighter/thief multiclass so you get both class HLAs.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

You can't dual into a kit.

I think I'm using a mod that allows me to because I tried it out recently.
Edit: Well drat, seems like I dont have a mod for it after all. Back to the drawingboard I guess.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 14, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Iretep posted:

Edit: Well drat, seems like I dont have a mod for it after all. Back to the drawingboard I guess.

The powergamer F->T dual is Wizard Slayer->Thief because UAI removes all of the Wizard Slayer magic item restrictions.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

amanasleep posted:

The powergamer F->T dual is Wizard Slayer->Thief because UAI removes all of the Wizard Slayer magic item restrictions.

I don't know, berserkers rage sounds much more useful than causing spell failure on mages and a few point of magic resistance. Plus you get use any item pretty late into the game so you'd be out of magic items for a while.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Was I the only one that was mad when they upgraded the FoA to +5? It annoyed me that it had free action on it, which meant that I could not haste that character, something I did for virtually every fight. Also BG2 is hilariously easy as a wild mage once you get some levels. For the final boss fight, I cast wish something like 12 times in a row (one of the wild surges refreshes all your spells), giving every character the fighter HLA that improves defense or whatever, greater deathblow, 25 in every stat, and improved haste on every character. For many other fights I would time stop and cast 7-9 spells during it thanks to the level 1 spell removing the time between castings.

Also for IWD, the first time I played it, I accidentally figured out that you can completely cheese the game by dropping a character or two midway through and replacing them. The replaced characters get a massive bonus to exp and level much faster than the ones that you started with. This means that they quickly overtake your other characters in levels. I always started with 2 fighters, 3 rangers, and a cleric. At the very beginning of the Yuan-ti place, I would switch out a ranger for a thief, and then after the boss switch another one out for a mage. After the next area (I think it was the troll place?) the mage would already be higher level than anyone else and could nearly solo the rest of the game. Anything that couldn't be killed with a few fireballs could be brought back to a doorway with the two fighters ready to block it after running through.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Iretep posted:

You could try this mod.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Stealth Like posted:

Was I the only one that was mad when they upgraded the FoA to +5? It annoyed me that it had free action on it, which meant that I could not haste that character, something I did for virtually every fight.

There's a (G3?) fix that prevents Free Action from messing with positive stuff like Haste and Boots of Speed.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

a medical mystery posted:

There's a (G3?) fix that prevents Free Action from messing with positive stuff like Haste and Boots of Speed.

Ahh I wish I had know that at the time. I'm glad that in iwd2 it doesn't mess with haste.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or do all of the feats in IWD2 seem kind of....silly. I find myself putting feats into things I don't care about because I just don't have anything else available.

Is there a certain focus I should be doing for feats for my non-fighters?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Iretep posted:

I don't know, berserkers rage sounds much more useful than causing spell failure on mages and a few point of magic resistance. Plus you get use any item pretty late into the game so you'd be out of magic items for a while.

No doubt that Berzerker->Thief is easier to use early in the game. But late game inducing casting failure with no save is very powerful, and you can easily get to 100% magic resistance after you get UAI.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Is it just me or do all of the feats in IWD2 seem kind of....silly. I find myself putting feats into things I don't care about because I just don't have anything else available.

Is there a certain focus I should be doing for feats for my non-fighters?

Feats and skills don't seem particularly useful, except for thief, mage, and weapons. With spellcraft high enough, there are spell school focus feats that boost mages. Obviously thief skills and concentration/spellcraft for mages are good, and I guess someone should have the personality skills. That leaves a lot of questionably useful feats/skills and not a lot for my fighters to bother with. This is my first time playing IWD 2 though, hopefully someone else can set us straight!

memento mori
May 4, 2008
So I'm playing through bg1 and I level up viconia with a proficiency in flail/morning star. Turns out she doesn't have the strength for these weapons. If I was playing on my computer I'd just use a save editor but I'm playing on my phone. Are there any items I can go find that boost strength a couple points? I think she is short 2...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
There are belts of strength but I honestly can't remember where you get them in BG1.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
There aren't any belts of strength in BG1, but there are the gauntlets of ogre power which set your strength to 18/00. They're on some hostile guy somewhere in the city of Baldur's Gate, don't remember exactly where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Don't the ogres guarding the bridge on the way to the Gnoll Fort drop something like that too?