Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TheMcD posted:

Probably related to why Netherlands is called Holland (check Indonesia). Looks like an accurate portrayal of the Netherlands isn't high priority right now.

[TIMG]http://vpforums.org/imghost/95/bigimage[1].jpg[/TIMG]

It also really looks like Scotland is labelled "Northern Ireland" in the Europe picture. Which would be somewhat accurate for Glasgow perhaps, but I'm sure they'll fix that by release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Looks like an accurate portrayal of the Netherlands isn't high priority right now.

Or ever. Remember how the Netherlands looked when HoI3 was released?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Where's the Afsluitdijk :argh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If they're narrowing down political parties to Communist, Democratic and Fascist, is the SPD really the closest match to the second category? Honest question.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

If they're narrowing down political parties to Communist, Democratic and Fascist, is the SPD really the closest match to the second category? Honest question.

The German Democratic Party (German State Party by the game's start) would be a better fit if the system is there purely for geopolitics (installing a puppet government after conquest), the SDP at the time were explicitly Marxist (even if they threw in with the proto-fascists during the revolution).

The German Democrats participated in more Weimar cabinets than the SDP and were installed by the Americans after the war.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 14, 2014

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I liked the super-involved ideology system of HoI2/3, but yeah, for normal gameplay it was overboard and it admittedly needs a cut. Still, Pdox should at least put in "right-leaning" and "left-leaning" halves to the Democratic option, even if it's purely an immersion thing. Mostly because otherwise picking which major democratic party will represent the whole system of government in a given country will have to be really arbitrary and lead to endless arguments.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think there was anything much wrong with the HOI2 system either, apart from some sliders being no-brainer choices, and the main problem with HOI3's system was an inability to change your own country's politics than anything else.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Phoneposting live impressions from Gamescom:

The Paradox guys at the booth are all super nice, helpful, and passionate about their games. Paradox more than a lot of other developers seems really in touch with their fans. I demo'd Pillars of Eternity for a bit, and got to try out Runestone for about 10 minutes. One of the devs (wish I got his name... the one who wasnt Bjorn) mentioned the playable alpha build was already outdated, and some changes had been made.

Runestone reminds me a bit of Divinity: Original Sin, but with combat thats much more akin to Expeditions: Conquistador. Your parties are composed lf both heroes and recruitable minions, and the "feeling" of a Norse mythological setting is definitely there. I'm really interested to see how it continues to pan out in development. Some of the dialogues werent super, but I'll chalk that up to being an alpha build.

There was also a small Twitter campaign at the booth where 10 visitors would win a free ticket to thei FanCon event later tonight, plus some swag and food/drink. Found out a little bit ago that I won :3:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Oh paradox fans

e; it's starting in 15 minutes by the way: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/

e2; or tune in now for german aftershave commercials.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 14, 2014

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

How can I identify the goons at the event?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Vodos posted:

By the smell. :rimshot:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The fanbase is what you'd expect. They lay out a good buffet though.

Darkrenown is chatting up a woman with pink hair, and podcat and Frederik Wester are talking to some dude by the food.

Edit: free beer :toot:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Not enough of a difference to regular PDS fans. I'm there but haven't found any goons yet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vodos posted:

Not enough of a difference to regular PDS fans. I'm there but haven't found any goons yet.

Middle seat middle row, ginger in a grey hoodie.

Edit: vodos was sitting two seats down. We were both goons looking at our smartphones.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vodos posted:

They will probably be the least grognardy ones there actually.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SeaTard posted:

They will probably be the least grognardy ones there actually.

Look for the guys NOT asking about Nazi Germany in HOI4

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Paradox's CEO sounds incredibly Swedish.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm in the chat asking questions about the Byzantine Empire.

You'll never find me.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Kainser posted:

Oh paradox fans

e; it's starting in 15 minutes by the way: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/

e2; or tune in now for german aftershave commercials.

Oh boy, this guy's chosen name alone guarantees classy comments.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
:siren: Trailer for new EU4 expansion! :siren:

So it's war and religion focused indeed, Thirty Years War here I come

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Well, at least it can't be worse than Napoleon's Ambition.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hitler. Please accidentally sneak a swastika into one of these things in Germany.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
The Art of War DLC for EU4. Sounds good. Now HOI4 is on.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I thought GamesCom told them not to show this trailer?

ALSO: Paradox, masters of trailers that show nothing

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Brave Cornwall.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Supeerme posted:

The Art of War DLC for EU4. Sounds good. Now HOI4 is on.

Yep, was hoping for another Victoria, but oh well!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Haven't all the hearts of irons been travesties of unwieldy mechanics and general unplayability?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The General posted:

Haven't all the hearts of irons been travesties of unwieldy mechanics and general unplayability?

Well Hearts of Iron 2 was mostly playable, as I recall. Or was that 1? One of those.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

The General posted:

No, just HoI3, the two first ones were unwieldy but also actually good.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

The General posted:

Hearts of Iron II was great.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is that seriously it?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
These assholes are just loving with me with Rome 2, right?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hahahaha Rome 2 trolling

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
The ability to customize Kingdoms and Empires? Like what Buttery Pasty suggested while EU4 was still being made?

Magicka 2!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
gently caress you Paradox, give me Rome 2 :qq:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Kainser posted:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kainser posted:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

The new CK2 DLC seems to be totally about Charlemagne, along the vague promise of "customizable kingdoms and empires". I'm somewhat interested in that last point, since it can't be what I think it is.

Also that trolling with the Rome 2 shirt was amazing.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kainser posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Kainser posted:

same.

OOOO Hollowpoint looks pretty cool.

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread