Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wouldn't say "really grumpy", she says something like "Your soul is still too weak to face what lies ahead. But I will proceed with you, if that is you wish. If you continue onwards, you will surely be destroyed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

So I hear the Herald gets really grumpy with you if you've gone through the Shrine without killing all four bosses. What does she say?

Your soul is still frail and pallid…
If you proceed regardless, your fate will be more terrible than mere life or death.
But I will not stop you, if that is your heart's desire.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, well, that's underwhelming. Was expecting a hissy fit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Not an Owl posted:

It's a pretty tough fight, yeah. If she summons skeletons you should kill those as soon as possible instead of worrying about her, because they'll most likely die in two hits, and they're easy to attack once Elana finishes casting a spell. If she summons Velstadt its best to just ignore him and focus on her, since his attacks are easy to dodge. I found summoning to not be that helpful, since its easy to accidentally get hit by Velstadt while you're focusing on Elana. Also, Elana tends to summon Velstadt a lot more if you're doing co-op.

At the same time, it's really easy to just have one person focus on murdering Veldstat real quick while the other focuses on her. It's not as if the one she summons is exactly like the actual one you fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh, well, that's underwhelming. Was expecting a hissy fit.

This isn't really that kind of game. It just wants you to a) see all the content and b) not go in underleveled, and this is how they try and guide you away if you happen to find the Shrine of Winter with over a million SM before doing the other stuff.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
heres how to fight the dlc boss
1) run around in circles
2) hit w/ sword

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I tried that and it just flew away. 0/10.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr Dog posted:

All stats also have a "soft cap" and a "hard cap". Increasing a stat beyond its soft cap will give you dramatically reduced returns compared to the effect of all the points leading up to the soft cap, and beyond the hard cap it does nothing whatsoever (but you're not going to get there any time soon). Vigor softcaps at 20, and Adaptibility effectively softcaps as soon as you have 100 Agility; the next iframe you get after 100 Agility is very expensive compared to all the ones leading up to 100.

Eh, getting 105 agility isn't that hard. It's getting 115 that's loving impossible (also, take this as a reminder that you don't get iframes at 110 for some reason.)

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not sure about pumping the Stamina stat, maybe it helps? I wouldn't be the best person to ask, to me it seems like a waste of levels because you have to pour a lot of points into it to get a single useful quantum out of it (i.e. one more chained strike before your stamina is depleted). The quanta for things like iframes and HP are far smaller.

I'm hardly an authority on DS2 builds- was just about to ask some questions of my own, in fact- but in my experience having enough stamina is super important for handling heavy weapons. For me, the most useful quanta isn't so much 'can I get another chained strike out of this' as it is 'can I do a certain number of strikes and still have enough stamina to dodge', which requires far less extra stamina to make a difference. With really heavy weapons, it seems like you need to at least have a sliver left over after two hits, or it can force you into very binary gameplay where your only options are: A) can I kill this thing in one/two hits? if no, then B) attempt only one strike at a time before recovering, which is really boring and many times downright unsafe.

Also, with lighter weapons, you can get more chained strikes for relatively little stamina, which opens up a lot of options for taking attacks of opportunity.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
From last page:

Paracelsus posted:

Does the Melu have a non-fashion-souls niche these days? I know it got a damage buff in the latest calibrations, but so did most of the curved swords, and prior to that it seemed to be an inferior choice.

It's a reasonable choice if you want access to the curved sword moveset but want to keep your dex at the barest minimum. Since the patch, the Melu scimitar compares favorably to most others in its weapon class at low scaling values (source: Fextralife's weapon AR+Scaling Calculator; plug 12 and 9 into str and dex in the spreadsheet). If you're going dex or quality, the others will outclass it as expected, but infusing and buffing appropriately will pay dividends for casters.

Before you say anything about Fextralife, all of this is accurate and up to date, with the caveat that it assumes no particular infusions in all cases and won't tell you if your provided str/dex values are too low to wield something properly.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Cathair posted:

I'm hardly an authority on DS2 builds- was just about to ask some questions of my own, in fact- but in my experience having enough stamina is super important for handling heavy weapons. For me, the most useful quanta isn't so much 'can I get another chained strike out of this' as it is 'can I do a certain number of strikes and still have enough stamina to dodge', which requires far less extra stamina to make a difference. With really heavy weapons, it seems like you need to at least have a sliver left over after two hits, or it can force you into very binary gameplay where your only options are: A) can I kill this thing in one/two hits? if no, then B) attempt only one strike at a time before recovering, which is really boring and many times downright unsafe.

Also, with lighter weapons, you can get more chained strikes for relatively little stamina, which opens up a lot of options for taking attacks of opportunity.

PvPing against people who've taken their endurance up really high breaks all my algorithms. You're pretty used to keeping a subconscious count of swings and dodges and knowing when you can really lay into somebody but then they start blocking or swinging and I'm flummoxed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I invade someone in the Saltfort because nobody is going into the belfries, and I decide "hey, Lucatiel's nearly dead let's finish her off". It turns out she's completely invincible to everything, somehow. The host wasn't, but Lucatiel just shoved me off the bridge on the way to Lost Sinner anyway.

Also I'm getting real tired of every other fight being the other guy giving up, running away, and chugging estus. Especially since I've hit a total of one person ever with a lloyd's talisman. I hope Bloodborne encourages more aggressive play. :argh:

e: You know what gently caress invading in the saltfort in general.

e: A dude just parried me but still took the full damage of the hit.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 14, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It does, if you take damage you can get a percentage of it back if you hit them back quickly enough. More health the quicker you do it.

edit: there's also supposed to be no heavy armors and shield aren't gonna be as good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

It does, if you take damage you can get a percentage of it back if you hit them back quickly enough. More health the quicker you do it.

edit: there's also supposed to be no heavy armors and shield aren't gonna be as good

Sounds fun! I wonder if characters will have different running speeds based on weight or not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Made a PVP vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXq5MnCXCtE

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

poptart_fairy posted:

So I hear the Herald gets really grumpy with you if you've gone through the Shrine without killing all four bosses. What does she say?
Bearer seek seek lest :shepface:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I managed to beat the Pursuer by firing 2 ballista bolts in to his butt. When he did his charge attack I managed to parry and run over real quick and get 2 volleys off somehow and took him down, feels good man.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Did they remove the ability to get a fifth Giant's Soul from the giants in Black Gulch? I've ascetic'd the area, and killed them several times, but I never get a fifth soul :(

edit: Damnit, I did the wrong bonfire again. Nothing to see here!

Schwack fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 14, 2014

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Currently having blast with my dex tank build. It started off as Jester Thomas cosplay, then when I realized early game pyro isn't that great, I just threw on the redeye ring and kept bosses busy while people with more dps laid into them. The only thing that would make it better would be the flip animation from the Dark Woodgrain ring in DS1.

I take it back, the other thing that would make it better would be to sarcastically taunt the bosses by throwing "very good!" carvings at them too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I just threw on the redeye ring and kept bosses busy while people with more dps laid into them.
Doing this with a Gyrm Greatshield and spear against Smelter Demon is hilarious. You don't really focus on the rest of the screen, just your stamina bar. The redeye ring doesn't seem to hold aggro as well as I expected, as Smelter and even Allone Knights will frequently ignore you to focus on the host, but the trail the eye effect leaves is :krad:.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I once took the Redeye Ring while helping people clear out the Ruin Sentinel room in Drangleic Castle. You can imagine how well that went given the average player's ability not to aggro the whole room (of course it wasn't their first try).

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

"garbage video. how can you say it's OP when all you do is parries, guard breaks, and backstabs?"

Sorry bro, better luck next time!

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Everyone before the fight begins: "lol he doesn't know how the Santiers gimmick works, what a nub"

Everyone after the fight ends: "...the gently caress!?"

Is that mundane, raw or normal? Or does it have hacked stats.

~

On a different note, did I see what looks like Black Flame casting in one of the 2nd DLC preview links from earlier?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

sushibandit posted:

Is that mundane, raw or normal? Or does it have hacked stats.

It's raw. You can tell by the black circle next to the weapon.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010
Today in an Iron Bridge duel I beat someone to death with the torch. I can now check another thing off my bucket list.

Edit: It amazes me how many people hate fun and will take every advantage they can get vs a torch. It also amazes me how many people will try and monscim parry it.

Kablammo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 14, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Is it normal for a dude to eat around 250~ damage from a powerstance swing of a Sunlight Bladed +10 Lightning Heide Sword and Lightning +5 Red Scimitar?
I've seen the damage fluctuate depending on armor and whatnot but this dude was seriously eating both swings and taking less than 500 damage from two powerstanced L1 attacks while wearing jester armor.

He had Great Magic Barrier up so that's at least one factor of mitigation there but is Great Magic Barrier + Defense rings enough to reduce the damage that much while only wearing jester armor?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Fereydun posted:

Is it normal for a dude to eat around 250~ damage from a powerstance swing of a Sunlight Bladed +10 Lightning Heide Sword and Lightning +5 Red Scimitar?
I've seen the damage fluctuate depending on armor and whatnot but this dude was seriously eating both swings and taking less than 500 damage from two powerstanced L1 attacks while wearing jester armor.

He had Great Magic Barrier up so that's at least one factor of mitigation there but is Great Magic Barrier + Defense rings enough to reduce the damage that much while only wearing jester armor?

GMB with Thunder Quartz+3 is 400 lightning resist right there, which will reduce the damage by over 40% just by itself. Full Jesters at max upgrade is another 178, for 578. If he had a reasonable amount of faith, he likely had ~120 or more natural lightning resist, which all together would put him at almost 700 lightning resist. 900 resistance vs. an elemental source will completely nullify it, so you're looking at almost 80% damage reduced from the lightning side. He could have also mixed in other pieces and rings for additional lightning and physical defense.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Got invaded twice by the same dude in Earthpeak today. Santier's Spear, Monastery Scimitar, Shadow Dagger and Ironclad Armor :shepicide:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Batigh posted:

GMB with Thunder Quartz+3 is 400 lightning resist right there, which will reduce the damage by over 40% just by itself. Full Jesters at max upgrade is another 178, for 578. If he had a reasonable amount of faith, he likely had ~120 or more natural lightning resist, which all together would put him at almost 700 lightning resist. 900 resistance vs. an elemental source will completely nullify it, so you're looking at almost 80% damage reduced from the lightning side. He could have also mixed in other pieces and rings for additional lightning and physical defense.

Well, poo poo. I guess I better invest in a pair of non-elemental weapons for folks like that then.

Any recommendations on non-elemental power stance pairings that use the longsword/straight sword powerstance moveset?

At the moment my STR is 40, DEX is 27 and FTH is at 65 or whatever for Blinding Bolt (for fuckaround purposes)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Powerstanced long swords are great. That guy may have been using numbness as well.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Had my first definite run-in with a hacker last night. I've had a few suspicious people before, but this guy was in some late-game armor, invading me in Heide's with my 250k soul level. He one-shot me with a crossbow that spewed dark bolt (or whatever the soul arrow equivalent for hexes is called) and allowed him to pivot in place while shooting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's a DLC weapon and he could have got that armor legit. He wasn't necessarily hacking.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
Indeed, although my friend and I did definitely got invaded on 40k SM characters in Heide's by a guy in full Drakeblood's with Throne Defender's sword, Warped Sentry Blade and 2k+ HP. Basically, it's pretty feasible that that dude was doing something to his SM to allow him to invade lowbies, but that weapon totally exists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's a DLC weapon and he could have got that armor legit. He wasn't necessarily hacking.

Yeah, I got messed up by someone with a santier's spear at 350k. It's not too hard to get to the gutter/doors of pharros early if you get the silvercat ring and strip.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're talking about the gun the ghost samurai guys use, right? I don't think it was that, unless it shoots ~30 bolts over 3 seconds or so. He was filling the screen with them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I gotta put some heavier stuff on. At 25% load I keep flinging myself off ledges when I dodge. :saddowns:

On that note though, does the Choloranthy Ring help out that much when I'm such a light weight? I honestly can't tell much difference in my stamina regeneration between the +1 ring and without it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's still good but IIRC the extra regen is additive so it's relatively more useful at high load.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Struggling in the arena as a melee-buff only person. Everyone I go against is some form of Havelsmelterturtle with affinity and a monistary scimitar.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Fereydun posted:

Well, poo poo. I guess I better invest in a pair of non-elemental weapons for folks like that then.

Any recommendations on non-elemental power stance pairings that use the longsword/straight sword powerstance moveset?

At the moment my STR is 40, DEX is 27 and FTH is at 65 or whatever for Blinding Bolt (for fuckaround purposes)

You've got the stats to use whatever straight swords you want. The 'best' one is Drakekeeper's due to its range. I'm not familiar with the total breadth of weapons that will use the straight sword powerstance along with it, but I know that some axes of various kinds are compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The lengths people will go to avoid you as an invader are crazy. I had one guy in the aerie go to that little island you have to drop to on the zipline and chameleon himself. Right now, in the forest someone ran behind the King's Gate which I can't open or get to the other side of. Why???

He's standing behind the locked door doing the curved dragon sword special attack over and over.

Haha hit him with a firebomb...the battle goes on...

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 14, 2014