Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

"a very generous limit"

It is for Ground Zeroes. :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Orange my rear end. Welcome to the Graham Cracker 4.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Math You posted:

Has anyone tried upgrading their HDDs with the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2tb external drive?

It's available on sale for $110 :canada: which is much cheaper than even 1.5s

Guide on the install is https://imgur.com/a/JF5jA

I have it and it was easy as pie.

My buddy did the same thing and his doesn't work at all. I think someone earlier mentioned the possibility that some units don't pull enough power for a 2TB or something? Seems to be fairly rare (so of course it happened to the guy I recommend it to)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Finally ready to pull the trigger on an next-gen console, I only owned a PS3, not an X360. I was fully anticipating before the consoles launched that I'd be switching over to game with all of my friends on XBL but the longer I've waited the more set on a PS4 I've become.

Just a few questions, I was really hoping to wait for some more compelling exclusives to come out before I pulled the trigger but I think my want to play Destiny at launch is spurring me to make a decision.

1) Anyone who owns both consoles... are there any clear areas that it seems like PS4 or XB1 will be taking the lead in at any point soon? The XB1's tv integration is totally useless to me as I don't watch any cable channels, all of my tv watching is of the torrent/plex/roku nature. Any reasons I'm overlooking for why I should take another look at XB1 or is everyone here pretty happy w/ picking the PS4?

2) Where can I pre-order the destiny white edition PS4, and is it worth waiting for? if there's some smoking deal elsewhere on a black one that I'm not aware of then I guess I don't need to wait, otherwise I would kind of sort of like a white one.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You can get the Destiny bundle on Amazon (445), but Sony is selling black ones for 360 right now on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-4-500GB-Gaming-Console/161392447205?afsrc=1

Comes out to be :420:420:420: with Destiny

Bonus points if you're like me and have money randomly sitting around in your paypal account!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MMD3 posted:

1) Anyone who owns both consoles... are there any clear areas that it seems like PS4 or XB1 will be taking the lead in at any point soon?

The PS4 is outselling the Xbox One 2:1 and growing in lead. In no country or territory is the Xbox One outperforming the PS4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

1) Anyone who owns both consoles... are there any clear areas that it seems like PS4 or XB1 will be taking the lead in at any point soon? The XB1's tv integration is totally useless to me as I don't watch any cable channels, all of my tv watching is of the torrent/plex/roku nature. Any reasons I'm overlooking for why I should take another look at XB1 or is everyone here pretty happy w/ picking the PS4?

If you only care about games and not media integration or anything like that the PS4 is well ahead of the Xbox One and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

haveblue posted:

If you only care about games and not media integration or anything like that the PS4 is well ahead of the Xbox One and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

Only care about games for the most part, also bluray playback I suppose since I would likely get rid of my ps3... But being able to game with friends will be a big component as well and the ps3 just never felt like it got that right compared to XBL. I have yet to even pick up a ps4 controller to see how the friend finding works but it sounds like it's a much better experience over PS3?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MMD3 posted:

Finally ready to pull the trigger on an next-gen console, I only owned a PS3, not an X360. I was fully anticipating before the consoles launched that I'd be switching over to game with all of my friends on XBL but the longer I've waited the more set on a PS4 I've become.

Just a few questions, I was really hoping to wait for some more compelling exclusives to come out before I pulled the trigger but I think my want to play Destiny at launch is spurring me to make a decision.

2) Where can I pre-order the destiny white edition PS4, and is it worth waiting for? if there's some smoking deal elsewhere on a black one that I'm not aware of then I guess I don't need to wait, otherwise I would kind of sort of like a white one.

The Xbox One excels at having a Halo Channel and displaying things in 900p. :master:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You can get good media server functionality for a lot cheaper than an xbone. PS4 is a really good gaming platform that only looks to get better.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

smuh posted:

Man I'm glad as hell that in this crazy future world we live in you can just buy skins for your consoles and won't have to settle with consoles looking like black... garbage, or something. I would've been happier with an orange PS4 in the first place but in the end I got what I wanted :colbert:

That controller. Uh, man. Their controller skins are bad. You should do what I did and find a goon who is willing to paint your controller for you, and become pals with him.

That one not doing it for you? Try the sexier edition that uses motherfucking car paint. It was meant to be an exclusive color for the Scion FR-S. The Hot Lava color.

Yeah, I have a pretty drat awesome internet pal.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

liquidypoo posted:

That controller. Uh, man. Their controller skins are bad. You should do what I did and find a goon who is willing to paint your controller for you, and become pals with him.

That one not doing it for you? Try the sexier edition that uses motherfucking car paint. It was meant to be an exclusive color for the Scion FR-S. The Hot Lava color.

Dass Hottt. I wanna be his friend, too.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Underwhelmed posted:

You still cannot aim a gun and move at the same time as you could in 4 or Peace Walker(at least not with manual aim) which takes a bit of getting used to after something like 10 years of almost every 3rd person action game in existence using the same basic control set up. MGS3 is still the best game in the series though, and once you are used to the shooting controls, they are fine.

I forgot about this--I guess this is why playing MGS4, 5 and Peace Walker like straight run and gun action games is so easy. I just got around to playing MGS5 and I didn't really bother using stealth at all my first time through, which felt a little weird. Seems as though the series is getting away from its stealth roots a bit.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Dear god that car-paint controller is sexy as hell. Such a lovely sheen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

liquidypoo posted:

:syoon:

Does he only accept friendship or will he take money as well?

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The original MGS seems to be the only one with a decent plot, the rest (including MGS' own predecessors) just went off the loving rails.

This is the only Metal Gear I've ever played and while it was a fun game it did not have a decent plot. Here's a refresher, if you need it. It's a dumb convoluted techno-military soap opera complete with people dying right before they can relay crucial information, a mysterious evil twin, somebody coming back from the dead, and cringe-worthy romance between paramilitary super-heroes. It is bad, campy, dumb writing and if it's really the best one story-wise I'm suddenly very nervous about the plot of Silent Hills.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I appreciate the restraint with those paint jobs. But I'll always mentally group people who say "Black and white are so boring Sony!" with tacky people who would think this is an improvement:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

I forgot about this--I guess this is why playing MGS4, 5 and Peace Walker like straight run and gun action games is so easy. I just got around to playing MGS5 and I didn't really bother using stealth at all my first time through, which felt a little weird. Seems as though the series is getting away from its stealth roots a bit.

I disagree, the games are still very much stealth focused, they're just implementing shooting controls that aren't bad (even though I love the old shooting).

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dork457 posted:

I appreciate the restraint with those paint jobs. But I'll always mentally group people who say "Black and white are so boring Sony!" with tacky people who would think this is an improvement:

that controller is p sweet, dog.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Dork457 posted:

I appreciate the restraint with those paint jobs. But I'll always mentally group people who say "Black and white are so boring Sony!" with tacky people who would think this looks better:

This one is my personal controller. It's pretty far from perfect, but the color turned out wonderfully.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Terraplane posted:

This is the only Metal Gear I've ever played and while it was a fun game it did not have a decent plot. Here's a refresher, if you need it. It's a dumb convoluted techno-military soap opera complete with people dying right before they can relay crucial information, a mysterious evil twin, somebody coming back from the dead, and cringe-worthy romance between paramilitary super-heroes. It is bad, campy, dumb writing and if it's really the best one story-wise I'm suddenly very nervous about the plot of Silent Hills.

quote:

This is the only Metal Gear I've ever played

:cawg: Please please play the other Metal Gears. You'll understand why I said the plot's the only sane one of the lot.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lol what the hell ammo is that, .223? That would be uncomfortable as gently caress to use.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can't really say I see the appeal of decorating a thing that you aren't supposed to look at while using and will be 90% covered by your hands anyway

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I thought this was a Jackson Pollock design until I loaded the full-size picture.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
100% realpost: if they ever released a skin for the ps4 gaystation edition I would buy it day one and never look back

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There's lots of sites that easily let you make your own ps4 skin

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

robodex posted:

100% realpost: if they ever released a skin for the ps4 gaystation edition I would buy it day one and never look back

I just don't like the pixel heart. Otherwise, it's the best skin. I'd buy a whole new PS4 if they released one like that :colbert:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Silver Striker posted:

I disagree, the games are still very much stealth focused, they're just implementing shooting controls that aren't bad (even though I love the old shooting).

IDK I thought 5 was pretty easy to Rambo through

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

IDK I thought 5 was pretty easy to Rambo through

That's basically what I'm saying - it's become easier to go in guns blazing because the controls have improved. The game is still very much about stealth though, and it's essentially impossible to get a good ranking by shooting things up. I also haven't tried shooting stuff in hard mode, but I imagine that wouldn't go over too well.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Another update on Share Play, apparently it's one hour blocks at a time and works with all ps4 games so it's a system thing. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-upcoming-game-sharing-feature-limits-you-to-6/1100-6421730/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've had my PS4 for a few days now, and so far the only games I have for it are Road not Taken, Fez, and P.T., because they're all free (well, the first two on PS+, at any rate.)

I know I'll pick up Destiny when that comes out (is it worth it to pre-order now? Is the Beta still going on, or did that close?) What else should I get?

I played both InFamous games on PS3, so Second Son seems tempting, but I'm worried it'll just me more of the same, yet a little prettier. I've never been into Call of Duty of Battlefield, so those are out. I have Transistor and Rogue Legacy on PC, and I might eventually buy them on PS4 if they drop in price, but not right now. I tried out Watch Dogs via Gamefly, and didn't care for it.

Is Assassin's Creed IV good? Will I enjoy it even I only ever played the first rear end. Creed game about halfway through? Or do I need all the others for story purposes?

Is Lego Marvel Superheroes with $40? I also haven't played any previous Lego games...I'm a terrible gamer, it would seem.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Mister Chompers posted:

Another update on Share Play, apparently it's one hour blocks at a time and works with all ps4 games so it's a system thing. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-upcoming-game-sharing-feature-limits-you-to-6/1100-6421730/

"There's no limit on the number of times you can use Share Play, meaning you can conceivably start Share Play up again and continue playing."

You were doing so well Sony. What the hell is the point?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
You might enjoy ACIV a lot as you aren't burned out by its mechanics but there are some repetitive elements to mission structure and collectibles. Totally worth it for the sea battles and being a pirate, though.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've had my PS4 for a few days now, and so far the only games I have for it are Road not Taken, Fez, and P.T., because they're all free (well, the first two on PS+, at any rate.)

I know I'll pick up Destiny when that comes out (is it worth it to pre-order now? Is the Beta still going on, or did that close?) What else should I get?

I played both InFamous games on PS3, so Second Son seems tempting, but I'm worried it'll just me more of the same, yet a little prettier. I've never been into Call of Duty of Battlefield, so those are out. I have Transistor and Rogue Legacy on PC, and I might eventually buy them on PS4 if they drop in price, but not right now. I tried out Watch Dogs via Gamefly, and didn't care for it.

Is Assassin's Creed IV good? Will I enjoy it even I only ever played the first rear end. Creed game about halfway through? Or do I need all the others for story purposes?

Is Lego Marvel Superheroes with $40? I also haven't played any previous Lego games...I'm a terrible gamer, it would seem.

Last of Us is probably your best choice right now, I really got into ACIV despite barely playing any of the previous ones, and Lego Marvel was on sale for $10 a couple weeks ago so it's probably best to wait for another sale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Resogun. Tomb Raider if you didn't play it last generation or on PC.

quote:

It's good, and you don't need to have played the others. Some of the story stuff will make no sense and there will probably a few times when the game obviously intends you to have a huge dramatic realization that just goes over your head but that doesn't affect the core pirating gameplay which is really fun.

quote:

Only if you're an enormous Marvel nerd or intend to play it with your kids.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is Assassin's Creed IV good?
AC4 is the best pirate game made in the last decade. The follow missions get old if you want to advance the plot really quickly but if you're happy to hunt down collectible sea shanties, they unlock actual songs your crew sings as you barrel around the ocean sinking ships and taking on Perfect Storms. It's great.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I bought it for $10.50 off PSN at the end of July so I'd keep an eye out for more discounts. From what I've played it's not bad by any means, but you can get it for a quarter of the price.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DrBouvenstein posted:

AC4 is good, conditionally. You don't need to worry about story stuff, as I'm pretty sure there's a cinematic that fills in the so-called plot fairly well before the full game starts, and after that there's only a few tie ins. You'll be lost at some of the references, but frankly I was lost at some of them too and I've played every main game since the first one came out.

Gameplay wise, it's quite fun. It's basically a pirate sim, with the occasional boring plot mission you have to do in order to upgrade your ship more and go kill pirates. I enjoyed it a lot, despite the boring mission design, and the game looks very pretty as well.

If you've got gamefly, it's worth a rental.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm probably just boring but I like my electronics black and unassuming.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DrBouvenstein posted:

Destiny beta is over. The game comes out in September. Infamous Second Son is really fun as a rental. Assassin's Creed IV has some good moments but ultimately I was bored by most of it. A lot of people here will tell you that AC4 is the best one (or at least the best one in a while) but I didn't find that to be true. The story kind of ties into the other games in some ways but they're not required. Honestly, if you have a 360 or PS3, I'd just tell you to get AC2/Brotherhood instead, as those are far better games and you can probably get them for cheaper anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I own Last of Us for the PS3, and while I'm aware it looks gorgeous on the PS4, I'm not ready to drop another $60 on it.

I forgot about Tomb Raider, which did manage to slip under my radar last generation.

And I got inadvertently spoiled on parts of the rear end. Creed plot anyway. I know there's the Assassin's vs Templars, and some artifact thing, and then aliens did some stuff? Something like that? though I'm not sure what game that's from, other than not I...One of the half-dozen rear end. Creed II spin-offs? III? IV?

I do like pirates, though...

• Locked thread