Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NamePolice
Feb 26, 2011
Jagex posted this sick and hilarious meme on the official Runescape FB page today.

e: Nerdmates owns

NamePolice fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007

Themata posted:

Here's the second story I mentioned I'd do in clan chat! Our heroes this time is Magres and fragasaurus, along with two special guest stars! Can you guess who they are?!

The story of the Nerdmates

Needs more tilde

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

NamePolice posted:

Jagex posted this sick and hilarious meme on the official Runescape FB page today.

e: Nerdmates owns

Disappointing use of meme, I was hoping for a small light puzzle inside the larger light puzzle. :buddy:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It's a meta joke. That meme, much like runescape, is from 2005.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The jokes are running on legacy mode too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Just cancelled my members, was a good week and a half :lol: I'll probably play again for a bit in December though. University is currently pounding my butt

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

quote:

Plague's End

Plague's End - the Grandmaster finale to RuneScape's longest-running quest line - is here!

Help Arianwyn - leader of the rebel elves - foil a plot to awaken the Dark Lord, which would place the remade Prifddinas under the merciless rule of Clan Iorwerth.

Succeed, and you'll earn access to the Elf City when it opens in the coming months. You'll also get a huge chunk of XP and a thieving-enhancing exoskeleton to enjoy right away.

All of this comes wrapped in glorious graphics, including a full rework most elven NPCs in the game.

Read on for more information, or check the requirements, log in now and get started.
Wanderlust

Head over to Lletya and speak to Arianwyn to get the quest kicked off.
Elf Lord

He needs to track down the lost leaders of the elven clans and gain access to the sacred Grand Library.

Plague's End is a true Grandmaster epic, clocking in at two hours or more to complete. It's a real quester's quest, so it'll be down to you to follow leads and find your way.

As you progress, you'll travel far and wide across Gielinor, revisiting classic quest locations. You'll complete tricky light puzzles and engage enemies up to level 107 - including the legendary Dark Lord himself.

Prevail, and you'll usher in a bright new era for elven civilisation - and wrap up a tale ten years in the making.
Treasures of Tirannwn

Complete Plague's End and you'll earn the biggest reward yet bestowed by a RuneScape quest: access to Prifddinas, Lost City of the Elves - coming soon.

We're putting the finishing touches to the city now, and you'll see it open in the next few of months.
Elf City Concept Art

This is the update of the year: a whole new city to explore, crammed to its crystalline rafters with high-level content - as voted for by you.

Prifddinas will become a home hub for players of level 75 up, offering training from the eight elven clans, Grand Exchange access, new transport options and amazing crystal weaponry.

The Elf City will open very soon, but until then, Plague's End has other rewards for you to enjoy.

First there's no less than 500,000 XP across 10 skills. There's also the exoskeleton - a marvellous machine with a range of thieving benefits. Finally, you'll get a new title: "of the Elves".
Lletya Hair Down

We hope you have a great time playing Plague's End. As always, let us know what you think over on the forums.

Get ready for the grand opening of the Elf City!

Mod John A, Mod Stu and the RuneScape Team
How to Start Plague's End

Speak to Arianwyn in Lletya.
Requirements

You must be a RuneScape member.

Skills:

75 Agility
75 Crafting
75 Construction
75 Dungeoneering
75 Herblore
75 Mining
75 Prayer
75 Ranged
75 Summoning
75 Woodcutting

Quests:

Catapult Construction
Making History
Within the Light

In Other News

The Trader and Black Marketeer from Player-Owned Ports now deal in the newest trade goods and resources.
The Ship Setup interface in Player-Owned Ports now has a tick box to hide ship parts that are no longer needed.

It's an alright quest, the rewards are bad and the elf city doesn't exist, but it had an old school questing feel which was nice.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is plague's end out?

Also, what exactly does the exo-skeleton do? I've been eyeballing 91 thieving and am vaguely considering actually grinding out a few hundred thousand XP to bump up from 90.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Magres posted:

Is plague's end out?

Also, what exactly does the exo-skeleton do? I've been eyeballing 91 thieving and am vaguely considering actually grinding out a few hundred thousand XP to bump up from 90.

Well, the full set gives you 25% better chance at not getting stunned while pickpocketing and looting urns in pyramid plunder, the gloves gives 5% extra chance of pickpocketing if you have 75 thief and hunter. At 25% less failing it should be a large increase in exp/hr.

30% chance of better pickpocketing, 25% less snakes in PP, if you have Black Ibis parts you can add their effect to the exoskeleton and the full set also gives -8kg weight.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's not half bad, even if thieving is still poo poo.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I enjoyed Plague's End, but that ending felt incredibly dissatisfying.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Poonerman posted:

Don't spoil it, but is it as bad as Salt in the Wound's pillar?

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Poonerman posted:

I agree, the ending felt.. I guess I would say rushed? And regarding the dark lord: Isn't Zaros already the "dark" to Seren's "light"? It would make more sense if the dark lord was related to Zamorak somehow, given the history of the quest line.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

How Rude posted:

Don't spoil it, but is it as bad as Salt in the Wound's pillar?
You actually fight. So there's that.

I will say that at least the light puzzles aren't as bad as the ones in the previous quests.

Soulhunter posted:

I agree, the ending felt.. I guess I would say rushed? And regarding the dark lord: Isn't Zaros already the "dark" to Seren's "light"? It would make more sense if the dark lord was related to Zamorak somehow, given the history of the quest line.
I think that the Zaros/Seren connection is more sibling oriented. Zamorak has the loyalty thing, while Seren is empathy. Yeah I don't see how those are exactly opposites, but it's Jagex.

The dark lord is 'supposed' to be something about how Seren got a little too fascinated by death. I'm guessing that it's a side effect of the empathy thing. And it seems that Seren didn't quite like this part of her. It could be it reminded her too much of Zaros. I'm not sure how much 'truth' is behind the dark lord saying that he (I'm assuming that the dark lord is a 'he', but drat are the essentially genderless crystal beings kind of hard to tell which pronouns to use) was rejected by Seren, as opposed to being released when Seren split into the crystals as per what the elves say.

There seems to be some sort of implied falling out between Seren and Zaros. I'm basing that on Zaros really refusing to talk about Seren, if you try to get more information out of him.

Though if the dark lord is Seren developing a part Zaros' traits, I wonder what would it look like in Zaros? Can he even develop like that? Would he realize what was happening and stop it?

Whatever Jagex ended up coming up with, there might be something in the elf city release. But I'm not really confident in Jagex having consistent story/elements. Even if this is something that I bullshitted off the top of my head.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Releasing a quest reward months after the actual quest itself, and playing the fact you don't get the reward up multiple times, as if that is a good point? :jagex:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kgummy posted:

You actually fight. So there's that.

I will say that at least the light puzzles aren't as bad as the ones in the previous quests.

I think that the Zaros/Seren connection is more sibling oriented. Zamorak has the loyalty thing, while Seren is empathy. Yeah I don't see how those are exactly opposites, but it's Jagex.

The dark lord is 'supposed' to be something about how Seren got a little too fascinated by death. I'm guessing that it's a side effect of the empathy thing. And it seems that Seren didn't quite like this part of her. It could be it reminded her too much of Zaros. I'm not sure how much 'truth' is behind the dark lord saying that he (I'm assuming that the dark lord is a 'he', but drat are the essentially genderless crystal beings kind of hard to tell which pronouns to use) was rejected by Seren, as opposed to being released when Seren split into the crystals as per what the elves say.

There seems to be some sort of implied falling out between Seren and Zaros. I'm basing that on Zaros really refusing to talk about Seren, if you try to get more information out of him.

Though if the dark lord is Seren developing a part Zaros' traits, I wonder what would it look like in Zaros? Can he even develop like that? Would he realize what was happening and stop it?

Whatever Jagex ended up coming up with, there might be something in the elf city release. But I'm not really confident in Jagex having consistent story/elements. Even if this is something that I bullshitted off the top of my head.

I think that the Dark Lord is Seren's dark side that she cast away to present herself as a being of light. Seeing as she is Zaros' MtF chick with a dick genderqueer sibling, it makes me wonder if Zaros has a light side hidden away somewhere or inside him. Or if his light side is what we saw during the quest and when he was all "hey lets chitty chatty and save the world and chit chat with Azzanadra" and his horrible dark side is his desire for control and former lack of empathy towards anything in his kingdom.
Also the best part: They tied the selfcontained elf series into the Elder God series with Dark Lord. wow

But yeah, I guess that a few months before release they realised that Zamorak is already free and fuuuuuck what should we do, another asspull???, aka standard 2010's Jagex quest ends.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
After MEP2 and Within the light, PE's light puzzle was a let down. There wasn't actually any puzzle to it, you just direct the light in the only way it can travel. The rest of it was alright though.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Latter half of that had a little of puzzling, but mostly the final one. Way too much mirrors to just decipher correct route.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The last mirror puzzle was the easiest one if you didn't look at the big picture. All you had to do is look for the next fixed mirror and pick the route to it, there wasn't any opportunity to get it wrong and have to backtrack, unless somehow I got extremely lucky and picked the right solution first time by accident.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

gently caress this game

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

gently caress this game

DONT throw your Crystal trinket away, the quest bugged Arywgiwyn so that he won't give you another one for Into The Light until it's patched.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Spergminer posted:

DONT throw your Crystal trinket away, the quest bugged Arywgiwyn so that he won't give you another one for Into The Light until it's patched.

Now I'm wondering how many crystal trinkets were destroyed from Pizza Lady's Bank Cleaning and Pun Emporium.

C'mon, be honest.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Now I'm wondering how many crystal trinkets were destroyed from Pizza Lady's Bank Cleaning and Pun Emporium.

C'mon, be honest.

L-look bank space is bank space... I can't be blamed if something gets lost in the midst okay?! No need to be up-tidy about it, you know?
You could always check my before/after pictures to see if I actually did toss any... it was probably just one or two!

On another note, I haven't been able to log into the game in any shape or form for the past few days - browser/client/OSRS all fail for me with 'Error connecting to server' and nothing seems to work. I guess garbage games and garbage laptop wifi don't mix. :eng99:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I guess you could try uninstalling java entirely, and installing the latest version into a new folder. That's what you had to do with the 'black screen' issue recently. (I noticed someone also had that issue, but I guess they solved it?)

joachim783
May 9, 2013
Pizza threw out mine and i just went to get it back and it worked fine for me. :confused:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

joachim783 posted:

Pizza threw out mine and i just went to get it back and it worked fine for me. :confused:

Did you start the new quest?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
That's weird. The forums keeps telling me there's a new post, but it's not showing up at all.

And it's apparently Spergminer asking 'Did you start the new quest?'.

Because apparently viewing his post history is the only way to see this message. And I only knew to look at his post history because the forums said he had the last post. I guess it's just remnants of the forum getting broken earlier?

Edit: Nope. Apparently me posting this post made it show up.

So I'll just find something relevant/useful to add to this post.

Spergminer posted:

Monkey Madness will never ever get anything but an extremely superficial graphic update. Hell, rumor has it that the piss poor coding is the reason why they're still using the 2004 RS2 monkey model, instead of the newer A) 2008/2012 Summoning/Dealga model, B) 2009 Armies of Gielinor model or the C) 2012 Barrel of monkeys model or even the D) 2014 Cheeky monkey pet Model.

Ape Atoll is one of my favorite areas in the game, you always find some new weird poo poo, forgotten details or items or NPCs, it's madness. It even had a broken adamant pickaxe for a while after they were removed. The monkey skull in the locked off section of the dungeon that leads up to a one way ladder in a tiny house with a spider and a ladder you cannot climb. The endless cliffhangers that will never be resolved, the Zaros/Marimbo monkey at the hidden exit in the Jungle demon arena, the patrolling Uncle, the gorillas that blocks your movement, the strange blue faced gorilla greegree that was released with Zombie Implings, everything about Ape Atoll is great in a horrible broken way.
If that's the case, then they should make a 'second' Ape Atoll. Basically recreate it in it's own little area, then when that's done, have it completely rewrite the regular Ape Atoll. If that's even possible. Worst case scenario, they just leave it orphaned in, and move the quests over to the 'new' version.

Though Jagex would probably only do it if they create a new monkey quest. Or remake the old ones.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 14, 2014

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Kgummy posted:

I guess you could try uninstalling java entirely, and installing the latest version into a new folder. That's what you had to do with the 'black screen' issue recently. (I noticed someone also had that issue, but I guess they solved it?)

Thanks. Runescape started working for me after you posted this.

Kgummy posted:

That's weird. The forums keeps telling me there's a new post, but it's not showing up at all.

And it's apparently Spergminer asking 'Did you start the new quest?'.

Because apparently viewing his post history is the only way to see this message. And I only knew to look at his post history because the forums said he had the last post. I guess it's just remnants of the forum getting broken earlier?

Thanks again. I'm finally able to view Spergminer's post now that you posted.

I'm starting to think you're some sort of wizard.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
That would be a great superpower. Simply posting something makes things fixed. So far, it seems to only effect Runescape and this thread. But hopefully there's more to it than that. Out of curiosity, did Runescape work without you actually having to do anything?

Also you posted just before I could get that edit finished.

joachim783
May 9, 2013
i

Spergminer posted:

Did you start the new quest?

nope i've finished me2 and just started within the light

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Kgummy posted:

That would be a great superpower. Simply posting something makes things fixed. So far, it seems to only effect Runescape and this thread. But hopefully there's more to it than that. Out of curiosity, did Runescape work without you actually having to do anything?

Also you posted just before I could get that edit finished.

There must be some weird forum voodoo magic at work. :ohdear: But yeah, after I read your post, I started up Runescape again having done nothing different and it ran graphics setup and loaded as if never had a cache. Maybe Jagex did some sort of secret fix but it was pretty weird to read your post(s) then suddenly have it/things just start working again.

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Themata posted:

There must be some weird forum voodoo magic at work. :ohdear: But yeah, after I read your post, I started up Runescape again having done nothing different and it ran graphics setup and loaded as if never had a cache. Maybe Jagex did some sort of secret fix but it was pretty weird to read your post(s) then suddenly have it/things just start working again.

speaking of runescape issues all my textures were broken and weird and it would only run in safe mode and it magically started working again after i read his post. :aaa:

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 14, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kgummy posted:

If that's the case, then they should make a 'second' Ape Atoll. Basically recreate it in it's own little area, then when that's done, have it completely rewrite the regular Ape Atoll. If that's even possible. Worst case scenario, they just leave it orphaned in, and move the quests over to the 'new' version.

Though Jagex would probably only do it if they create a new monkey quest. Or remake the old ones.

If runescape code is as interconnected as I heard it was, even recreating everything from scratch would take too much effort for no real reason. Either that or nobody wants to touch that mess.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

If runescape code is as interconnected as I heard it was, even recreating everything from scratch would take too much effort for no real reason. Either that or nobody wants to touch that mess.

It's B. I bet some insane dev would like to redo the entire Monkey thing. But as it stands right now Jagex can barely keep focus on their grand God storylines, because the players and shareholders wants Elder God stories.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Makes you wonder how EoC was even possible.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Chunderstorm posted:

Makes you wonder how EoC was even possible.

I guess they had to remove every single monsters combat stat data and start from scratch. Of course that resulted in funny bugs like the boss apes from Do No Evil having 3000 lp (!) for months after EOC. I know that I like joking about rs being made from code cobbled together with used bubblegum and wishes, but when changing a few numbers can create the Rubber Chicken dance instakilling KQ bug it must be true to some degree.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Don't forget that a lot of the major codebase changes they did around the time of EoC included breaking all the stuff the RSBuddy guy knew was easy for bots to use.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The video 'Road to Elf City - Episode 4' revealed how the divination xp in elf city is gonna work.

It's combat. Beat stuff up for div xp (I think?), and you purify drops from shadow monsters, from 'dark cores' to 'light cores'. Which are summoning secondaries for divination familiars.

They're made more potions than the design doc has/had as well. None of them were mentioned, just the fact that there are going to be more.

Crystal weapons, shields, and such. Multiple tears. Also crystal tools that increase the chance of getting shattered hearts rocks. They showed crystal picks/hatchets, among them.

Also the 'catch all the implings barehanded' is apparently a choice between double drops/triple xp. No idea if it's like that summoning minigame, where it's limited time or not. But if you can only do it once, and you can't switch... Jagex.

Also 100k hunter xp, and an elf outfit that teleports you to that impling wheat maze Puro Puro place.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Being able to get div xp by punching dudes is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Hopefully something nicer-looking than exoskeleton. But I just fell for Ozan pack, so that front is satisfied for now. Any word on the crystal weapon levels?

• Locked thread