Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Orv posted:

I mean what you really want is Disciples 2 Gold, but if you've gotta have 3... :shrug:

I have disciples II :). On steam and GoG, actually. Both are unplayable :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Cathair posted:

Ok, this is cool. I'm finding some acceptable skins, nothing that I like as much as the old default skin, but stuff that will do just fine.

Mostly, the problem is the font and the colors. The font has suddenly become skinny, blurry, and too small by just enough to cause annoyance. The colors are now predominately pale blue, and the black parts have less background shading. I'm not going to rag on anybody's subjective taste, but when you're designing a one-size-fits-all UI that must be inoffensive to a huge swath of people and is being used in a very utilitarian, daily-use application, pale blue is a terrible, eye-searing choice.

Everything looks really flat too, but that's a trivial issue and may just be a perception issue caused by colors. The tray icon is also a trivial issue, but the pixelation, background tint, and circular cropping come together to make it nearly indecipherable, which just makes me wonder who ever thought it would be a good idea.

Pale blue has kind of been the de facto standard UI highlight color since like Windows 95 though, it's the fact they're putting it on a blackish background that makes it look odd. Also Linux quality font rendering and a lot of clashes where the flat new look collides with old fake plastic bubble style assets.

I don't know I was pretty freaking bored of the old look so I like that they're finally changing it up a bit if only for novelty's sake.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Drunk Tomato posted:

I guess I'm the only one who prefers the new look of steam?

I don't think you're the only one who prefers or thinks anything, ever. I don't mind though. It looks nearly identical to the old look to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/theres-a-gabriel-knight-remake-on-the-way/2300-9349/

Gabriel Knight is coming out with a new game. Listen to those HORRIBLE southern accents.

Just LISTEN to them.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Wait no Devolver digital hosed the date up. :negative:

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 14, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

This looks exactly like the first. What gameplay changes are there?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drifter posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/theres-a-gabriel-knight-remake-on-the-way/2300-9349/

Gabriel Knight is coming out with a new game. Listen to those HORRIBLE southern accents.

Just LISTEN to them.

Horrible N'orleans accents are a staple of the franchise.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Who cares?

More levels of Hotline Miami is fine by me, that game was incredibly fun.

It has a map editor.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crappy Jack posted:

Horrible N'orleans accents are a staple of the franchise.

Was Knight a vampire or a werewolf?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drifter posted:

Was Knight a vampire or a werewolf?

Literally a werewolf. The werewolf that bit him was also totally gay for him. Then he fought vampires that were after the blood of Jesus.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

It probably owns even more

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Quest For Glory II posted:

40 new music tracks fuuuck yeahhhh. I am so hype. They just sprung the release date today?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any news on an update to the mobile steam app? I feel like it hasn't been touched in forever.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm no gaming journo, but I'm not 100% sure "owns" is a gameplay characteristic. Did they take that implied rape bit out?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anyone can be a gaming journalist if they call themselves one, that's the bar to entry

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Polygon has proven that you don't really need any credentials or credibility to be a games journalist.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I'm no gaming journo, but I'm not 100% sure "owns" is a gameplay characteristic. Did they take that implied rape bit out?

Oh noooo. Not implied rape. Noooooo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

There never was an implied rape bit. There was never anything resembling rape.

It's the same slackjaw TMZ writing that people did when they said Dracula from Castlevania2 LoS was raping a woman by killing then eating her. Or when you raped the Nazis in Wolfenstein with your bullets, or when you raped the net in NBA Jam when you got those sick dunks.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Drifter posted:

There never was an implied rape bit. There was never anything resembling rape.

It's the same slackjaw TMZ writing that people did when they said Dracula from Castlevania2 LoS was raping a woman by killing then eating her. Or when you raped the Nazis in Wolfenstein with your bullets, or when you raped the net in NBA Jam when you got those sick dunks.

Didn't the player character drop his pants and approach a woman knocked on the floor until an offscreen director yells "cut" in a demo or something? So aren't you kind of a huge idiot?

Gamers always get so defensive when someone criticizes something...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

Didn't the player character drop his pants and approach a woman knocked on the floor until an offscreen director yells "cut" in a demo or something? So aren't you kind of a huge idiot?

It was a loving movie in game. Maybe the idiot was you all along.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Graphic representations of murder are sweet and cool, and I like them. But implied rape in an in universe sexploitation movie? That's no good.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

That's not the definition of implied you maroon. Why are you even arguing this.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Drifter posted:

It was a loving movie in game. Maybe the idiot was you all along.

That's still in the game. I don't think it shouldn't be necessarily, the whole lurid exploitation thing is a huge part of Hotline Miami's appeal and that kind of gross thing comes with the territory. To pretend there is nothing remotely resembling a(n implied) rape is pretty disingenuous though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

That's still in the game. I don't think it shouldn't be necessarily, the whole lurid exploitation thing is a huge part of Hotline Miami's appeal and that kind of gross thing comes with the territory. To pretend there is nothing remotely resembling a(n implied) rape is pretty disingenuous though.

Have you seen it or are you just repeating things you've read online by the SJW crew?

http://www.freetrialoffer.us/articles/hotline-miami-2-sexual-assault-scene-under-review/1100-6414142/

Skip to about 40 seconds in to the video at the bottom of the article.

Trigger warning - it's in 16 bit.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 14, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I did not want to pretend rape that woman I wanted to slam her face into the ground so hard her tits would be raw and bloody.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Shut the hell up about rape and recommend me some sweet animu games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Drifter posted:

Have you seen it or are you just repeating things you've read online by the SJW crew?

http://www.freetrialoffer.us/articles/hotline-miami-2-sexual-assault-scene-under-review/1100-6414142/

I'm no gaming journo but im not 100% sure that didnt turn me on

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I hear that sakura spirit thing is pretty anime.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stan Taylor posted:

you are white knighting pixels. reconsider your life

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The new interface tweaks are really nice.

Only took em 11 years to let you hide games. :shepface:

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Drifter posted:

Person: hey this makes me really uncomfortable
Dev: wow, we didn't actually consider that, lets remove the rape scene from the demo; there's more context in the full game

seems pretty reasonable???

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

homo punching bag posted:

:ironicat:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

homo punching bag posted:

It's not even that. There's nothing wrong with saying 'hey, this thing is pretty hosed up and waaaay out of place.'

It's just when people don't know what they're talking about and living in this weird echo chamber of ignorance that it becomes stupid to complain about. If the game actually had someone, guy or girl, being raped like in Irreversible (jesus christ) then there might be a place to talk, but not as it was.

Dr Suntory posted:

Person: hey this makes me really uncomfortable
Dev: wow, we didn't actually consider that, lets remove the rape scene from the demo/trailer; there's more context in the full game

seems pretty reasonable???
Eminently so.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Does Dead Rising 2: Off The Record work on Steam? I was looking at it a while ago, then saw with GFWL dying it kind of broke saving and some other poo poo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The DArkness 2 is on sale this weekend, is it any good? I always thought the series looked cool.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The DArkness 2 is on sale this weekend, is it any good? I always thought the series looked cool.

I thought it was pretty interesting. The powers are neat, the weapons feel good, and you can rip guys in half at the press of a button.

In unrelated news, Origin is now offering 72 free hours for Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. So if you were interested in the game but didn't feel like shelling out a ton of cash for it, now's the time to try it out.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Does Dead Rising 2: Off The Record work on Steam? I was looking at it a while ago, then saw with GFWL dying it kind of broke saving and some other poo poo.

I've been playing it the past few weeks and it still works fine. Only thing you can't seem to do is save the game while in COOP, you gotta boot your partner first.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's a cool game. It won't rock your world but it's definitely underrated. It's even funny.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lance Streetman posted:

I thought it was pretty interesting. The powers are neat, the weapons feel good, and you can rip guys in half at the press of a button.

In unrelated news, Origin is now offering 72 free hours for Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. So if you were interested in the game but didn't feel like shelling out a ton of cash for it, now's the time to try it out.

Yeah, Darkness 2 is a pretty good game - story and characters and all, and its art direction is also amazingly good. Very pretty. Just switch between guns and demon tentacles, don't just use guns. The tentacles can be challenging at first if you're not used to that sort of thing, but keep it up as it adds a nice change in gameplay to keep you from being bored.

I've HEARD that that plants and zombies fps is pretty decent. Not my thing, but Giantbomb had fun with it if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Drifter posted:

I've HEARD that that plants and zombies fps is pretty decent. Not my thing, but Giantbomb had fun with it if I recall correctly.

From what I've heard, it's a fun little COD-lite. Basically Call of Duty for kids. The only problem was that there wasn't much content and the servers kinda sucked, so it wasn't really worth what they were charging for it. But who knows, maybe it's actually great and we'll all fall in love with it over the next 72 hours.

• Locked thread