Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The New series using "wahs" in all the music tracks is a summoning ritual to ensure that future generations are prepared for New Super Wario Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

enojy posted:

Sadly that must be a coincidence, since "U R GAY" would make way more sense to some artwork saboteur.

MR GAY spotted

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
eShop releases for today:

joystiq.com posted:

Wii U

•Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (Capcom, 1 player, $8)
•Double Dragon 2: The Revenge (Aksys Games, 2 players, $5)
•Gaiabreaker (Ubiquitous Entertainment, 1 player, $15)
•Soon Shine (Dahku, 1 player, $2)
•XType Plus (PhobosLab, 1 player, $3)

3DS

•Gothic Masquerade (Selectsoft, 1 player, $5)
•Amida's Path (Collavier, 1 player, $5)
•Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appétit! (Demo) (Majesco, 1 player, Free)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

$8 is entirely too much money for Battle Chip Challenge. Please don't buy it, it's hot, non-interactive garbage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's basically a ccg made into a game that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Narcissus1916 posted:

So just to clarify, my options for playing Super mario bros 3 are...

1) Dig up my old NES/SNES
2) Download original NES version on Virtual Console
3) Track down GBA version
4) mario all stars on wii

Hmm.... is there any version that is slightly easier? Like more powerups or a more frequent save system? I'm going to need all the help I can get.

The GBA version is the easiest. The second easiest would be NES version on Virtual Console because of save states.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Did this Shovel Knight "Epic Rock" cover by the gently caress Her Right In The Pussy guy get posted yet? Shovel Knight is just so cool. I just played through it for like the sixth time over the past few days.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Silver Falcon posted:

If Fire Emblem is your bag, there was a Fire Emblem game on the Wii as well: Radiant Dawn. However, if you haven't played the Gamecube one (Path of Radiance), I recommend starting with that one, as the Wii one is a direct sequel, and Path of Radiance is excellent. If you have no way to play Gamecube games anymore, just disregard this one. Maybe Nintendo will put it on the Virtual Console one of these days...

Also, if you haven't played Okami on PS2 or the HD version on PS3, it's also on the Wii, so play it somehow.

I really, really like Radiant Dawn but I agree that it does have it's flaws. The difficulty is very inconsistent, but when it's good the map designs are some of the best ones in Fire Emblem (2-E immediately comes to mind.) The overall plot can range from interesting to dumb but for the most part the writing/translation is top notch.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Spacebump posted:

The GBA version is the easiest. The second easiest would be NES version on Virtual Console because of save states.
I don't know if there's any way to hack it in to an emulator saves, but the GBA version also supported e-reader stuff. You could get SMB2-style turnips, the cape feather from SMW, enemies dropping coins when you hit them with a fireball, and some extra levels.

I have no idea if you could do with with 2 GBAs, an e-reader, and printed versions of the cards though, since those are probably impossible to find now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

TVs Ian posted:

I have no idea if you could do with with 2 GBAs, an e-reader, and printed versions of the cards though, since those are probably impossible to find now.

I'm such a big dumb fan of Super Mario Bros. 3 that I jumped on getting all those required components when they first came out.

I wish they could've released more of those cards that give additional stages.

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.
im pretty sure those eReader things are semi valuable at the moment, you should check into selling them, that is if you're not an insane collector.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

theminx posted:

im pretty sure those eReader things are semi valuable at the moment, you should check into selling them, that is if you're not an insane collector.

Actually I'm an insane video game hoarder. :negative:

Think of all the dumb poo poo I could buy if I sold my CIB copy of Earthbound or Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 14, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm such a big dumb fan of Super Mario Bros. 3 that I jumped on getting all those required components when they first came out.

I wish they could've released more of those cards that give additional stages.

Para Beetle Challenge is the best. I like to think the people who thought that NSMLU was hard never cut their teeth on that poo poo.

I really wish they released the rest of the cards in the US, I tried printing barcodes with the Japanese levels way back in the day, but my home printer was likely way too lovely to have the quality needed to create a scannable code.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

dude789 posted:

I really, really like Radiant Dawn but I agree that it does have it's flaws. The difficulty is very inconsistent, but when it's good the map designs are some of the best ones in Fire Emblem (2-E immediately comes to mind.) The overall plot can range from interesting to dumb but for the most part the writing/translation is top notch.

I think what killed Radient Dawn for me was the lack of any meaningful characterisation. Without support conversations the cast feels lifeless, which isn't great considering its one of the largest the series has ever seen. That said, there's some really great maps there and its still pretty fun, even if chapter 4 drags on too bad and the difficulty curve is crazy. The beginning still kicks my rear end as a guy who's played the game a lot.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
All this eReader talk makes me wish I could find mine. :negative:

I still have all my cards, though they're kind of in poor condition.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It'd be cool if they added all the eReader content to the GBA SMB3 and released it on the Wii U VC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadwing posted:

Para Beetle Challenge is the best. I like to think the people who thought that NSMLU was hard never cut their teeth on that poo poo.

I really wish they released the rest of the cards in the US, I tried printing barcodes with the Japanese levels way back in the day, but my home printer was likely way too lovely to have the quality needed to create a scannable code.

I remember finding a Rom that had all the eReader cards scanned into it. That poo poo was intense...

Spacebump posted:

It'd be cool if they added all the eReader content to the GBA SMB3 and released it on the Wii U VC.

I'd buy that up in an instant. And everyone would complain that Nintendo wants to charge another $5 and it's not just a free update.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've just noticed Mario Sunshine is on the eShop.

I'll probably not buy it. Rather play something better with improved graphics, music and gameplay. One of you who loves the unholy hell out of Mario Sunshine convince me to waste my money on it anyway even though I've already made up my mind and am never gonna budge, no sir.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

Say what?!?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nolgthorn posted:

I'll probably not buy it. Rather play something better with improved graphics, music and gameplay. One of you who loves the unholy hell out of Mario Sunshine convince me to waste my money on it anyway even though I've already made up my mind and am never gonna budge, no sir.

Uhh excuse me!?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

:dogstare:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nolgthorn posted:

Huh? Where? I just checked the eShop's website and it didn't have it listed. Don't have access to my WiiU atm.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

I recommend buying a new graphics card, it can make all the difference in the world. Check with SH/SC for the latest new video cards, and maybe one of them has Super Mario Sunshine included with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Why would you lie to us Nolgthorn. Why

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why would you lie to us Nolgthorn. Why

Very messed up if you ask me. :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If you've got some kind of secret Nolgthorn, you best be talking because that's not a very nice thing to lie about.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
anyone who believed there was a gamecube game just randomly made available on the e-shop are dumb

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

JakeP posted:

anyone who believed there was a gamecube game just randomly made available on the e-shop are dumb
It's not unprecedented, eShop in both europe and japan put a Nintendo DS game in the eShop without any fanfare

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

JakeP posted:

I figured best case scenario it could've been a listing mistake.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's not unprecedented, eShop in both europe and japan put a Nintendo DS game in the eShop without any fanfare

Nintendo 64 and DS games are expected to come out for virtual console in the near future. I have heard nothing about Gamecube, and would expect it would be a pretty big deal when they do become available, as they haven't been available in digital format previously, whereas N64 and DS are both available on other platforms.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

it's not showing up for you guys???

you suck Nolgthorn

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What an rear end in a top hat

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I was misled

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

I am an rear end in a top hat.

Fixed that for ya!

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hey Wii U friends, I played that One Piece game a bunch and then made a video reviewing it.

Here is the link to said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57Hp9GqwwU.

Also does anyone know aside from Hyrule Warriors coming out a week early if there is anything to be excited for as an EU owner? No Shovel Knight until later and also no Toad minigame the game coming later is pretty :smith:.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

TheRam posted:

Hey Wii U friends, I played that One Piece game a bunch and then made a video reviewing it.

Here is the link to said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57Hp9GqwwU.

Also does anyone know aside from Hyrule Warriors coming out a week early if there is anything to be excited for as an EU owner? No Shovel Knight until later and also no Toad minigame the game coming later is pretty :smith:.

There's a nonzero chance that the Fatal Frame U (or should I say Project Zero U :britain:) will be coming out in Europe but not in the United States.

That's all I got. :shrug:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 14, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nolgthorn posted:

:golfclap: Perfect execution.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just put the wii Mario all stars on my gamefly queue, thanks everyone for the information.

And I'm just partial to the snes version because that's the first console I ever got - with copies of mario kart, all stars, and mario world.

And seriously, smb3 is BRUTAL. After world one I remember the difficulty curve is practically vertical. I can consistently get to world 8 in mario 1 and can beat all but the toughest extra-special SMW levels, but Mario 3 has always been the toughest.

I've seen the ending screen and beaten the final boss, but I'm not talking about warp piping my way to victory. I'm talking all eight worlds, partially because I'm fairly certain I've never even seen the latter half of the game minus world 8's ships of death, doom, and frustration.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really, really want Beetle Adventure Racing on the VC.

Is this even possible at this point? I'm guessing getting the VW license again would be the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Alteisen posted:

I really, really want Beetle Adventure Racing on the VC.

Is this even possible at this point? I'm guessing getting the VW license again would be the issue.

I just started playing that game again, it doesn't corner as well as I remembered and the multiplayer is annoyingly 2 player only.

Oh, but that game has serious style.

Also I don't know how many people have said it but Armillo is really loving good so far, aside from the slightly headache inducing frame drops. I'll get my thoughts fleshed out soon but god drat this game wayyyy surpassed my expectations.

• Locked thread