Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Comic Strip Megathread XV: Whistle the patter!

Bleeker answers this thread's prayers - yes, you can switch out Refurb's parts like Mr. Potato Head.

Pickles reminds us that whales eat Toast-Chee.

RevKrule posted:

This is twice this week Fatty Lumpkins has bitched in some way about food. And you wonder why America has an obesity problem. You're the problem Billy, you're the problem.

That's Jeffy, not Billy. Jeff Keane writes the strip now and for some reason likes to present his own character as a nauseating freak.

RandomFerret posted:

Manak does a pretty good job of mimicking Prohias' art style (unlike the current illustrator), but the writing falls flat. It shouldn't just be 'Spy uses gadget, Other Spy dies,' It should be 'Spy uses gadget, Other Spy deploys counter-gadget, it turns out the first gadget was actually a decoy, Spy uses counter-counter-gadget, Other Spy dies.'

But it's best when it's "Gray Spy shows up, murders the other two while they slobber over how hot she is."

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater, Starring Viper Velma

I can't remember the last time I was vapped with a vengeful finger.

The local classic stations don't even play those groups anymore. It's all late '70s and godawful '80s stuff, with the occasional softer Beatles or Beach Boys thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Darthemed posted:

July, 1987.

Bloom County
This first one is important.

Thanks so much for all of these. This is a rewind of my "sewing the oats" time. Unfortunately, this is sort of the beginning of the end for the strip IIRC. :(

Green Intern posted:

Why the hell is Juliet wearing what appears to be a latex bodysuit?

BrookeWear "Gams Collection®"

:v:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

YOU'VE KNOWN HER FOR TWO GODDAMN DAYS, MARY

"Close Friendship" with a seven-year-old, my rear end.
But they danced together! And once a branch fell near them!

F Minus

Mary Worth

Mary has conveniently omitted the hallucinations part from her little story here.

Rex Morgan MD

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

How long has this fight been going on? A few weeks?

Classic Prince Valiant

We're actually entering an apocryphal storyline where Val becomes the first Phantom and meets the first Devil.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

"A million years before your time"? If they can reanimate dead species willy-nilly why are they keeping a zoo on earth where nobody lives?

I thought the bozz women were supposed to be sensible :confused:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Green Intern posted:

Also why is Romeo a Dracula?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Green Intern posted:

If you know a better way to sexy up a 13 year old corpse we're all waiting to hear it :colbert:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nubbins Fairlygood is an excellent pirate name.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac has PTSD.

Poptropica Narrowly avoids a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Heathcliff just does what he do, man.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Ok, so it's not what I thought it was.

Non Sequitur

Two in a row, Wiley! Made me :)

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban's Cats

That cat's far too fat to pole vault.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/14/2003

Whatever you're doing with your mouth in the last panel, Juliette, it's certainly not making you sexy. Stop it.

Zits

Meh. teens_amirite.jpg

Kevin & Kell

Maybe the kid just needs his diaper changed.

:v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set

I want that t-shirt.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Hey, I remember this episode of Columbo.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Dick Tracy

And that's the whole story! The woman is killed. POOF. The End

Spy vs. Spy

Bonus. One of Mad's "Usual Gang of Idiots", George Woodbridge, briefly took over "Spy vs. Spy" for two installments after Bob Clarke. Here's a three-pager he did (Mad #322 October 1993)

He did a good job emulating Prohias' style, thankfully. Duck Edwing did the story.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 14, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

This! I've done this with my siblings one year long ago because of this comic. A snowball fight during Midsummer is great!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I tried the same thing, but I guess my family's freezer wasn't very reliable because by the time it came to use the snowballs, they'd melted and refrozen into balls of solid ice.

I still threw them because I was a little rear end in a top hat. Lack of Foresight Comix.

Pooch Café

I had a ferret once who loved cheese. She had learned to roll over for treats, and she decided that the transaction had to work both ways. If you were eating a sandwich with some cheese on it, she would walk up to you, bite your toes to get your attention, and then roll over until you gave her some. She'd get mad if you didn't pay up, too. I wish I'd gotten it on video, this little animal just rolling over and over furiously in between toe nips.

Ballard Street

Never mind how they got up there in the first place.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
August, 1987.

Bloom County

The joke is Oliver North.

Due to some GoComics hijinx, there'll be a double dose of Calvin And Hobbes to get things right.

Except then they have the same Sunday strip for two consecutive weeks. Oh, GoComics.
Then again, in The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes, that last Sunday strip is followed by this next one, so maybe Mr. Watterson missed a week there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

If you ask Bud Grace who's president, he'll wiggle his eyebrows and make a Bedtime for Bonzo joke.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy gives us more whistlin', more patterin'. (May 26, 1927)

Peanuts (August 17, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean continues with "Reveries of a Middle-Aged Doofus".

The oldest Hollywood joke in the book: the actress so stupid that she slept with the writer. :rimshot:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 22-23, 1925)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 14, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

[b]Mike du Jour

Given Lesters usual delicate touch on that dreaded spectre of political correctness, I feel like we got off quite lucky here.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Wanamingo posted:

Looks Zachary Nixon Johnson was taken down from Gocomics, so we're not going to see any more of it.

Nothing is ever really taken down if you know where to look.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

(I grabbed the remaining strips so we can at least finish out the run.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean continues with "Reveries of a Middle-Aged Doofus".

Guest author: Brooke McEldowney.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Aardmania posted:

Nothing is ever really taken down if you know where to look.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

(I grabbed the remaining strips so we can at least finish out the run.)

Oh. Gee. You shouldn't have.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 16, 1956)

MEANWHILE IN CHICAGO:

On August 16th, Adlai Stevenson drew 905 1/2 votes on the first ballot, 219 more than necessary to cinch the Presidential nomination for the Democratic ticket. What happened next was another thing Porky didn't find in that soup pot: To drum up excitement for the '56 ticket, Stevenson announced that he was throwing open the selection of his Vice-President to the convention floor. "The choice will be yours. The profit will be the nation's." This definitely stirred things up, since the vote was going take place at 1 pm the next day, leaving potential veep candidates precious little time to scramble for support.

Peanuts: Year One (February 22-24, 1951)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year One (February 22-24, 1951)

How many times did Schulz recycle this joke? I could swear I've seen it with Charlie Brown swapped out for Linus.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

The Terrible Webcomics thread has an axiom that sooner or later, every comic author puts their fetish in their comic. The detail in this last panel probably goes to show something about Jam Esallen and/or Jackelrod, though I'm sure I don't know what.

Office Hours

"He may act like he wants a secretary, but most of the time they’re looking for something between a mother and a waitress."

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My library's doing some meet the creator type thing next month, with the cartoonist Roz Chast.

Can't say I'll be going.

Six Chix

Old people, am I right? :rolleyes:

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

A Friends parody in the year 2014? Seriously? Should've went with Downton Abbey or something.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I liked the arc, but close as it is to the end, it's about to start overstaying its welcome. The comic before this would have been a good stopping point.

Dick Tracy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, I certainly didn't expect Gilchrist to make this stylistic choice.

My internet was out for a week, but it's fixed now! I guess there's some catch-up to do now.

So much catch-up. :negative:

Luann

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Now I understand why people cried bloody murder at Doonesbury being posted in this thread. This made me mad as hell.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Regarding the Lost Side of Suburbia, I liked it a lot that running away from the "final boss" of the story arc was enough to shake him off. As much as I like intense confrontations in stories, it brings some refreshing change when the big bad isn't an all-knowing supervillain.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Darthemed posted:

How many times did Schulz recycle this joke? I could swear I've seen it with Charlie Brown swapped out for Linus.

You've got a good eye. The semi-canonical list of gag repeats in the Peanuts FAQ listed this one as coming back on July 15, 1959 (which more people probably saw back in the day).

As someone on GoComics pointed out, the distance between '52 and '59 is basically the entire lifespan of Calvin and Hobbes.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

poo poo! A reasonable deduction in Inspector Danger!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Green Intern posted:

poo poo! A reasonable deduction in Inspector Danger!

It's okay, it's still barely supported by the art at all. There's one little tiny line added to the back of the car.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

What I saw:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

I don't even get this one. Are conservatives pissed off at CFLs? :psyduck:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Wanamingo posted:

Poor Alfie hasn't figured out the Inspector's tricks yet. I doubt he expected the first watch of the night to mean "You stay up until morning while I get a good night's rest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

cobalt impurity posted:

I don't even get this one. Are conservatives pissed off at CFLs? :psyduck:

Yes.

• Locked thread