Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Those On My Left posted:

I... I find this one hard. Yilmaz doesn't really seem particularly nasty to me. High school kids are ridiculous, and kids from different backgrounds often are ridiculous in different ways. Yilmaz perfectly reflects some of my high school experiences. Basically nothing makes me feel warm about that period of my life, but Yilmaz kinda does. It reminds me how silly and funny some of it was.

Yeah, I really don't get anything nasty from it. It's the Youtube version of sitting around remembering the weird kids you went to school with. I went to school with a kid like Yilmaz and I taught one during my teaching placements. That's what keeps me thinking of it in a positive light. FJ isn't saying that Yilmaz was weird and we should laugh at him and mock him, it's that Yilmaz is weird but he was also a bright point and you laugh at the things he did because they are pleasant memories from a time where a lot of kids are confused and scared.

It's like, the first high school I went to, there was a kid with Down syndrome. Whenever I meet up from the people I keep in contact from that school, everyone always laughs and reminisces about the weird stuff he did like how, in the school play, he decided to improvise his lines with an off-the-cuff dance number during one of the most poignant scenes in the performance. And, sure, it might seem like we're mocking him for his disability, but his disability is what made him such a bright spot. I see Yilmaz in the same vein. You remember the good with the bad but you're not mocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Splode posted:

yeah I empty quoted muyb and then realised that I had to quickly edit in an actual reply. Considering the entire argument about that israel-related cartoon was in GBS and we usually talk poo poo in here, it's getting confusing.

Hell, soag even posted in this thread, wtf

you loving what

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, I really don't get anything nasty from it. It's the Youtube version of sitting around remembering the weird kids you went to school with. I went to school with a kid like Yilmaz and I taught one during my teaching placements. That's what keeps me thinking of it in a positive light. FJ isn't saying that Yilmaz was weird and we should laugh at him and mock him, it's that Yilmaz is weird but he was also a bright point and you laugh at the things he did because they are pleasant memories from a time where a lot of kids are confused and scared.

It's like, the first high school I went to, there was a kid with Down syndrome. Whenever I meet up from the people I keep in contact from that school, everyone always laughs and reminisces about the weird stuff he did like how, in the school play, he decided to improvise his lines with an off-the-cuff dance number during one of the most poignant scenes in the performance. And, sure, it might seem like we're mocking him for his disability, but his disability is what made him such a bright spot. I see Yilmaz in the same vein. You remember the good with the bad but you're not mocking.

I didn't see Yilmaz as racist, just a depicition of a stupid person at high school who also happened to be Turkish. He actually reminds me a lot of a guy at my high school who also just happened to be Turkish too, but his race wasn't the issue, just the fact he was a complete idiot. I mean, is friendlyjordies sexist because he dresses up and pretends to be a stuck up middle class woman?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Yilmaz is problematic. The fact that the simple act of reminiscing about highschool can have unintended racially derogative elements means something needs to be examined. Is his race really irrelevant? I'd say if you have to ask, it's probably not.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Whether it's an element of the joke or not, your comedy shouldn't hit down at people less privileged than you are. It's poor form.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Who the gently caress is this Yilmaz person?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
John Hewson on Hockey's (less than luminous) performance as treasurer. Talking about just how easy it is in politics to gaffe, he gives his own example:

quote:

One of my classics was to suggest that "you can always tell the rented house on the street", made towards the end of a very long speech to the Housing Industry Association in 1992. The line, originally written by my then press secretary, Tony Abbott, was moved in and out of the speech by various advisers before being finally reinstated and was only noticed by one journalist at the time. But that was enough. The media bushfire was ignited. I was very soon flat out back-pedalling.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

You Am I posted:

The chaff friendlyjordies makes between the wheat.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5b7FS1nrs

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

xutech posted:

Well, this is awkward.

Former Prime Minister Sir John Major has praised immigrants for having the "guts" and "drive" to travel across the world to better themselves.

In an interview for BBC Radio 4's Reflections, to be broadcast tomorrow, he rejects the idea that immigrants always come to Britain to benefit from the

country's welfare system. Instead, he describes immigrants as having "the very Conservative instinct" of wanting to improve their lives and that of their

families.

Talking about growing up in Brixton in the 1950s, he says he saw immigration at "very close quarters" when there was a "different social value" placed on

immigration.

"They shared my house," he says. "They were my neighbours. I played with them as boys. I didn't see people who had come here just to benefit from our social

system. I saw people with guts and the drive to travel halfway across the world in many cases to better themselves and their families."

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/uk-immigration/59781/john-major-praises-guts-and-drive-of-immigrants-in-the-uk#ixzz3ANUSbAfr

It is awkward indeed, given he now lives in a 6 bedroom house in the Norfolk countryside and not in the vibrant multicultural communities resulting from his policies.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Orkin Mang posted:

John Hewson on Hockey's (less than luminous) performance as treasurer. Talking about just how easy it is in politics to gaffe, he gives his own example:

Counterpoint from an actual MP

quote:

Joe Hockey is doing an 'inspirational' job as treasurer and has long been standing up for low-income earners, senior coalition MP Christopher Pyne says.

Mr Hockey is reportedly facing internal criticism over his suggestions poor people don't have cars, with some colleagues questioning his ability to sell the budget.

But Mr Pyne says his frontbench colleague has the full support of the party and is doing a 'fantastic' job as treasurer.

Mr Pyne said Mr Hockey's track record, including helping to abolish the carbon tax, was proof he championed the cause of low-income workers to reduce their cost of living pressures.

'Joe has been standing up for low income workers; and middle income workers, he wholly supports,' he said.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

Whether it's an element of the joke or not, your comedy shouldn't hit down at people less privileged than you are. It's poor form.

This is a pretty big element of why conservatives aren't funny.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gough Suppressant posted:

This is a pretty big element of why conservatives aren't funny.

That and the patrician bitterness they mistake in their comedy for insightful mocking.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

quote:

Let's look at some of Lilley's other stuff to see if claims of his work being racist are unfou-

Quarter of a million Qlders see this on their drive to work up the pacific motorway everyday. Inbound at Greenslopes there's a 200m stretch of noise barrier painted with 'black people' of uncertain ethnicity. Have a look in street view.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-27.516365,153.046811,3a,75y,215.69h,84.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPLNZpGdHqIXQjKwQ8B8btQ!2e0

I dont know who painted it. But it looks commissioned.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

One of my Schoolyard Yilmaz's tried to convince us he was riding a motorised scooter down the road and the police saw him. They are technically illegal, and he tried to convince us the cops were shooting at him to try and stop him.

He also used to come and sit next to you on a bench in that covert-ops spy style where they are talking to you but making it look like they arent talking to you, trying to sell burnt DVDs of new release movies.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Man my high school was boring, we didn't have anyone like that in my grade :(

There was an autistic kid a year younger who would sometimes do funny things but that was it.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Orkin Mang posted:

That and the patrician bitterness they mistake in their comedy for insightful mocking.

Entirely true, but the sarcastic and pedantic neuroticism involved in leftist political comedy ain't much better.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Lid posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, is anyone else seeing this? If Pynes looking to Hockey for inspiration then they're all walking around with blindfolds on. How do so many people get it so monumentally wrong, just making up facts and thinking millions of people with 5 seconds can fact check them won't go ahead and do that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

You Am I posted:

The King of Kings.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Entirely true, but the sarcastic and pedantic neuroticism involved in leftist political comedy ain't much better.

mlyp

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

True as well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

HookShot posted:

Man my high school was boring, we didn't have anyone like that in my grade :(

There was an autistic kid a year younger who would sometimes do funny things but that was it.

My high school was full of racial tension: Lebanese kids vs Vietnamese kids vs Anglo kids. It all came to a head in year 10 when a few after-school scuffles escalated into a Vietnamese crime gang from Cabramatta (5T for anyone who remembers) turning up at school and going after a Lebanese kid with a machete :wtc:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5T were crazy big into penile dermal implants too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Konomex posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, is anyone else seeing this? If Pynes looking to Hockey for inspiration then they're all walking around with blindfolds on. How do so many people get it so monumentally wrong, just making up facts and thinking millions of people with 5 seconds can fact check them won't go ahead and do that.

Simple egotism and the safety of being rich and powerful. The way Pyne talks you'd think they were saving the universe. There's a strong push in the Murdoch Ltd to ditch Hockey now. Please let them replace Hockey with Pyne as Treasurer just for a month so we can destroy him too.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/treasurer...815-104c7e.html

Not a good week for Hockey.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I'm genuinely surprised this hasn't been commented on yet:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/14/scott-morrison-appear-before-inquiry-children-immigration-detention?CMP=soc_567

In all likelihood it will be shut down by on water matters or whatever the gently caress excuse he likes to give but still...

Edit: to add the story is about Scott Morrison to appear before an inquiry into children in immigration detention and allegations of abuse.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:stare:

That's, umm...

E:

Literally trying to claim the Southern Cross for Australia.

Wonder if they realise that the Earth actually rotates and therefore "the space above Australia" is actually a significant swath of the universe.

...probably.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Wonder if the realise Earth's surface is curved and hence that space would be similar to a cone.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
A cone that rapidly moves across gigantic sections of space, meaning that if every country had this constitution then we'd be flipping nationality amongst the stars every quarter-second.

e; I feel as if news.com.au hasn't realised that clickhole is a satire of sites like clickhole and they've instead used it as an instruction manual.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 15, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

Captain Pissweak posted:

Wonder if the realise Earth's surface is curved and hence that space would be similar to a cone.

I don't know about that, but I know some mad cones were involved in the making of those policies. :snoop:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I haven't read that crazy-rear end constitution, but did they seriously forget to claim ownership of the soil/minerals etc underneath territorial Australia?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

webmeister posted:

I haven't read that crazy-rear end constitution, but did they seriously forget to claim ownership of the soil/minerals etc underneath territorial Australia?

I've not read all of it, but yeah, it looks like they did.

quote:

[During Wartime]
S6.6. Normal currency notes shall be suspended and reissued using notes printed in a different colour. These notes shall be known as Australian War Dollars (AWD) and shall be used for all commercial transactions for the duration of the war.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Konomex posted:

Because most are disinterested. Huge swarths of the population dont care about politics, at all. And will not do that 5 second fact check.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Konomex posted:

Pyne probably has money on making Hockey Leader of the Libs/PM so Pyne can slip in as deputy on that ticket.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Why....?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Brainfart time. What if News Limited want the ABC privatised so they can buy it?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Murodese posted:

e; I feel as if news.com.au hasn't realised that clickhole is a satire of sites like clickhole and they've instead used it as an instruction manual.

Even SMH are doing that clickbait headline poo poo these days. They had a story about Robin Williams's daughter getting trolled on twitter and the summary was something like "I'M SHAKING RIGHT NOW, I JUST CAN'T: The late comedian's daughter received an outpouring of support on social media, along with several vicious trolls. You won't believe what they said to her."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gotta be prepared for the imminent Indonesian invasion mate

Only thing I can think of is something about stopping foreign (ie Chinese) investors from holding large swathes of Australian cash when (in their crazy minds) the Chinese are who we'd probably be fighting.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Speaking of banning bottled water, here's a film made by a Sydney boy about a town in America that tried it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCve9xVj_yg

It's screening next Tuesday on George st as part of a fundraiser for a good cause so thought I'd post it here.

It is awkward indeed, given he now lives in a 6 bedroom house in the Norfolk countryside and not in the vibrant multicultural communities resulting from his policies.

Old person moves to the country, awkward indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Lid posted:

"'Joe has been standing up for low income workers; and middle income workers, he wholly supports,' he said."

They haven't quite got it through their heads that you can't just say any old poo poo you like when you're in government and actually doing things that are completely in contradiction to what you're saying.

• Locked thread