Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Generation loss can turn literally anything into a horror movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI

Perfect!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was banned in the UK for decades and all that existed were these uber worn out tapes, i'm just picturing what a 5th/6th generation Leatherhead would appear like to a 16 year old watching for the first time...

harpomarxist fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

harpomarxist posted:

Perfect!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was banned in the UK for decades and all that existed were these uber worn out tapes, i'm just picturing what a 5th/6th generation Leatherhead would appear like to a 16 year old watching for the first time...

I was just mentioning in the horror thread that Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of my top 10 favorite movies and I don't think I've ever seen it on anything but VHS.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

harpomarxist posted:

i'm just picturing what a 5th/6th generation Leatherhead would appear like to a 16 year old watching for the first time...

Yeah, old Ninja Turtles VHS tapes look super groady.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Title card from the very first 2001: A Space Odyssey VHS:

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Egbert Souse posted:

Title card from the very first 2001: A Space Odyssey VHS:

I mean that just captures something right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

harpomarxist posted:

I mean that just captures something right?

It actually makes it seem more like a PBS science documentary, even if the pan & scan pretty much ruins the film.

Dr. Strangelove works well on VHS, though.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

It actually makes it seem more like a PBS science documentary, even if the pan & scan pretty much ruins the film.

Dr. Strangelove works well on VHS, though.

I think I like that though. It dates it. maybe that says more about my relationship to 2001 as an artifact rather than something timeless.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I assume everyone in this thread has seen Rewind This, right? It's an awesome documentary about VHS. I rented it from Amazon when it came out and watched it twice in two days. That wasn't that long ago and I already wanna watch it again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

I think some films are fortunate to have only prints with degraded image. The grainy, scratchy, but still nice look of Sunrise, Vampyr, and Lonesome just suits the movies well.

When I rented Vampyr it was a print where the English subtitles were under the German ones and tended to fall below the screen, so it was even harder to follow than it would have been normally.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

harpomarxist posted:

But i'm wondering if anyone has examples of modern films/shorts that have been shot using VHS that aren't either nostalgic in a obvious way

Uzi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XppTurYFcro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZBgwUTnDA

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

harpomarxist posted:

Perfect!

Trust me, like a snuff film. The same was true for The Exorcist and also Evil Dead (Both were banned, though Evil Dead was released with cuts). There was something about watching a movie that, by law, you weren't allowed to see that enhanced the experience.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Trust me, like a snuff film. The same was true for The Exorcist and also Evil Dead (Both were banned, though Evil Dead was released with cuts). There was something about watching a movie that, by law, you weren't allowed to see that enhanced the experience.

My dad had a bootleg copy of the Exorcist, at the scene where the face flashes on screen the tape was so distorted from people rewinding and pausing it was almost this flickery distorted blur, terrifying.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unmature posted:

I assume everyone in this thread has seen Rewind This, right? It's an awesome documentary about VHS. I rented it from Amazon when it came out and watched it twice in two days. That wasn't that long ago and I already wanna watch it again.

I was lucky enough to see it at a screening where the director spoke. It is indeed incredible. The best part was that crazy guy who made his own VHS action movies, specifically where he does one-arm push-ups to show that he's a good director.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

harpomarxist posted:

My dad had a bootleg copy of the Exorcist, at the scene where the face flashes on screen the tape was so distorted from people rewinding and pausing it was almost this flickery distorted blur, terrifying.

The video shop by me had a panel in the ceiling that housed the occasional bootleg (In total about 3 cassettes). If you knew the guy well enough he'd let you borrow an unmarked tape of The Exorcist. He would also steal a copy of every Disney VHS that came in, make a dupe and keep the original one (With the case). The copy would be what he would rent out.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm doing a movie league with my friends which is based on pure domestic gross. We're doing a season that covers September through March. I think Mockingjay and The Hobbit are going to be the first two picks, with Interstellar at number 3. I have pick number 4. What would you take first out of the rest of this line-up?

Insurgent
Night at the Museum 3
Exodus
Into the Woods
Penguins of Madagascar
Cinderella
Fury
Big Hero 6
Fifty Shades

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Does anyone have any recommendations for good books about film-making that focus on the script-writing or screenplay side of things? My brother's an aspiring writer and I'd like to get him something like that for his birthday. Maybe even something written by a film writer would be good.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Cinderella or Night at the Museum 3. Into the Woods could be the joker here, but I have zero idea what to expect from it. A musical with Chris Pine and Johnny Depp sounds awful, but the broadway show was popular?

I actually think one of these movies could out gross The Hobbit though. Since people don't seem to give a poo poo anymore and the first trailer was less than stellar.

Exodus will fail. Pompous Hollywood white-washing, that stinks of oscar bait, and looks like the same "epic" stuff we've seen hundreds of times before. $90-100 million domestic, and that's only because it might have a decent opening weekend due to zero competition.

Fury will do solidly if it's good. End of Watch was a balla movie and if Ayers brings the same chemistry between the leads, this could be good. $100ish million which should satisfy everyone.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

victorious posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books about film-making that focus on the script-writing or screenplay side of things? My brother's an aspiring writer and I'd like to get him something like that for his birthday. Maybe even something written by a film writer would be good.
I heard this is a really good and unique book about how to make a living as a screenwriter. It's by Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant of Reno 911 and The State:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Movies-Fun-Profit-Billion/dp/1439186766/

You can also buy him screenplays of classic movies he likes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Trump posted:

Cinderella or Night at the Museum 3. Into the Woods could be the joker here, but I have zero idea what to expect from it. A musical with Chris Pine and Johnny Depp sounds awful, but the broadway show was popular?

The source is excellent (one of the best musicals), but Rob Marshall gives me no hope at all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, Into The Woods is a flat-out amazing musical and quite possibly some of Sondheim's best work, and I have absolutely no faith in the movie, because I said the exact same thing about Sweeney Todd, and holy poo poo at how that turned out.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Schweinhund posted:

I heard this is a really good and unique book about how to make a living as a screenwriter. It's by Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant of Reno 911 and The State:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Movies-Fun-Profit-Billion/dp/1439186766/

You can also buy him screenplays of classic movies he likes.

Hey, thanks! That's a really good idea, and I'll check out that book too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

victorious posted:

William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade would be my go-to. He's not only written great movies but can actually write well about writing them, which is not always the case with a lot of writing books.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade would be my go-to. He's not only written great movies but can actually write well about writing them, which is not always the case with a lot of writing books.

He has two; the sequel is Which Lie Did I Tell? They're both very entertaining reads, and obviously well-written, but they don't reveal too much about actual screenwriting. But of course if that's the interest, then it's very entertaining reading.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

victorious posted:

I haven't gotten a copy myself yet but I've heard very good things about this one by Dan O'Bannon (Alien, Dark Star, Return of the Living Dead, etc)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A post in the favorite quotes thread just made me think of something.

In the movie The Crow, Brandon Lee was killed on set (the way I always heard it) by a gun that was accidentally loaded with live ammo instead of blanks.

1) Is that actually true?

2) If so, what the gently caress possible reason would you have to keep live ammunition around on a movie set?

3) What happened to the prop guy? Was he charged with anything?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

A post in the favorite quotes thread just made me think of something.

In the movie The Crow, Brandon Lee was killed on set (the way I always heard it) by a gun that was accidentally loaded with live ammo instead of blanks.

1) Is that actually true?

2) If so, what the gently caress possible reason would you have to keep live ammunition around on a movie set?

3) What happened to the prop guy? Was he charged with anything?

Yes, but it's a little more complicated than that. Basically it was loaded with dummy bullets, one of which was lodged in the gun. When the gun was then fired later on (At a distance) it was loaded with a live charge and no bullet. When the gun fired it launched the projectile the same way a fully functioning gun would.

The Wiki page has a more detailed breakdown:

quote:

In the scene in which Lee was accidentally shot, Lee’s character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped by thugs. Actor Michael Massee's character fires a .44 Magnum revolver at Lee as he walks into the room.[7] A previous scene using the same gun had called for inert dummy cartridges fitted with bullets (but no powder or percussion primer) to be loaded in the revolver for a close-up scene; for film scenes which utilize a revolver (where the bullets are visible from the front) and do not require the gun to actually be fired, dummy cartridges provide the realistic appearance of actual rounds. Instead of purchasing commercial dummy cartridges, the film's prop crew created their own by pulling the bullets from live rounds, dumping the powder charge then reinserting the bullets. However, they unknowingly or unintentionally left the live percussion primer in place at the rear of the cartridge. At some point during filming the revolver was apparently discharged with one of these improperly-deactivated cartridges in the chamber, setting off the primer with enough force to drive the bullet partway into the barrel, where it became stuck (a condition known as a squib load). The prop crew either failed to notice this or failed to recognize the significance of this issue.

In the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be actually fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6 - 4.5 meters (12–15 feet), the dummy cartridges were exchanged with blank rounds, which feature a live powder charge and primer, but no bullet, thus allowing the gun to be fired without the risk of an actual projectile. But since the bullet from the dummy round was already trapped in the barrel, this caused the .44 Magnum bullet to be fired out of the barrel with virtually the same force as if the gun had been loaded with a live round, and it struck Lee in the abdomen, mortally wounding him.

As far as I know nothing happened to the crew member who actually fired the gun, but a negligence suit was brought forward, which the family won (They used the footage of the event, which was then later destroyed).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

DrVenkman posted:

As far as I know nothing happened to the crew member who actually fired the gun,

was the actor Michael Massee (Fun Boy) who fired. he took a year off from acting and was still having nightmares about it for at least a decade.

xtrmntallhippies
Aug 27, 2006
extra mean tall hippies
Stupid question, maybe. Why was Let's Be Cops released on a Wednesday?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

xtrmntallhippies posted:

Stupid question, maybe. Why was Let's Be Cops released on a Wednesday?

Maybe they wanted to get a jump on the weekend?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How did they do the long tracking shot in War of the Worlds, when Cruise et al. are leaving town? It's a pretty great shot, my guess is lots of dolly and crane shots seamlessly blended together via computer magic.

The shot in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUv7iRaWOOQ

Also, can y'all provide some amazing shots -- ideally w/ youtube links if possible. Tracking shots are the obvious go-to, but any examples are great (for instance, one of the more impressive recent shots that comes to mind is in Gravity, a long shot that pulls into Sandra Bullock and then goes into her helmet and looks back out, before pulling out again)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

regulargonzalez posted:

How did they do the long tracking shot in War of the Worlds, when Cruise et al. are leaving town? It's a pretty great shot, my guess is lots of dolly and crane shots seamlessly blended together via computer magic.

Also, can y'all provide some amazing shots -- ideally w/ youtube links if possible. Tracking shots are the obvious go-to, but any examples are great (for instance, one of the more impressive recent shots that comes to mind is in Gravity, a long shot that pulls into Sandra Bullock and then goes into her helmet and looks back out, before pulling out again)

http://youtu.be/ZD0_5HFMPIg

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

Children Of Men
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfBSncUspBk

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Hard Boiled

http://youtu.be/3bozxgVQ9m0

- I love the amount of poo poo flying everywhere, the smoke, the debris. All real, no CGI-inserted-in-post extra stuff.
- The same floor is used before and after the elevator conversation, just completely cleaned up and redressed in around 30 seconds. (Notice the layout, the notice boards/security camera opposites when they get in and out)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

regulargonzalez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

They shot it with the pan up to the helicopter so they could splice two separate takes together, but they managed to do the whole thing in one take anyways. For the part where Matthew McConaughey climbs a fence the owner wouldn't let them cut a hole in the fence so they had to physically lift the camera and its operator over it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

The van is not complete and in front of a green-screen on a soundstage.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Shanghai fight in Skyfall is really well-shot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love the shot from this cene in The Stunt Man that follows O'Toole and Railsbeck into a cherry picker and then into the sky. Not as long or unbroken as some of the shots mentioned, but really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-KNWrmnd6Y

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's also the remarkable unbroken shot from Gun Crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUU6w_zvMg

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8spz0kRX9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There's the tracking shot in Soy Cuba, too. Plus a bonus Boogie Nights scene that riffs on it.