Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

Iretep posted:

If we go by D&D then becoming super religious would raise wisdom.

Well when you live in a world where gods are real and pissing them off ends with them turning your soul into a brick in a state of eternal agony, its a pretty wise decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, more than a high wisdom character I want to see him go up against a high luck character.

He should just keep flipping a coin and trying to guess if it's heads or tails as part of his training. Surely that's a game of chance that would raise his luck over time! All his other grinding is bullshit, just add bullshit to the bullshit.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Suddenly: Plot.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
yeah I'm not going to read that, anyone want to summarize what they are planning?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Han Jee-Han really needs to raise his wisdom. A useless date instead of getting some magic tomes from her father? Talk about a missed opportunity.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Iretep posted:

Han Jee-Han really needs to raise his wisdom. A useless date instead of getting some magic tomes from her father? Talk about a missed opportunity.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. There is no way this isn't gonna backfire on him.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lol are you guys kidding? this is the first smart thing jee-han's done in ages. there's more to life than beep boop stat advancement (also it probably is going to result in stat advancement).

or would you prefer him to go back to grinding for grinding's sake

also thank god it seems like the training arc is coming to an end and we're going to make use of the setting beyond 'what if real life was a korean mmo'

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

lol are you guys kidding? this is the first smart thing jee-han's done in ages. there's more to life than beep boop stat advancement (also it probably is going to result in stat advancement).

or would you prefer him to go back to grinding for grinding's sake

also thank god it seems like the training arc is coming to an end and we're going to make use of the setting beyond 'what if real life was a korean mmo'

I think you may be misunderstanding this comic's appeal.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Vesi posted:

yeah I'm not going to read that, anyone want to summarize what they are planning?

Scary organization and fedora man are going to do evil thing in korea and need to kidnap demon daughter that main character is going on a d-d-date?! with, also they are telling other evil organizations how to do evil thing because

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think you may be misunderstanding this comic's appeal.

Watching numbers go up?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

Watching numbers go up?

Pretty much. MC is OP, uses this to become more so in various ways. Most of the thread has been lauding this, coming up with new ways for him to do it, and being frustrated that he's not taking full advantage of X power/ability.

Hell, it's why I'm reading.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Yeah, think of it this way, he's not "going on a date", he's "grinding faction". He's better off trying to build a stronger relationship with that girl's dad, similar to the relationship he has with the martial arts clan, rather than just asking for a one-time favor.

He just needs to explore his drat menus more, there's surely a faction summary list somewhere.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

What's being glossed over, I think, is that the girl he's going on a date with has high wisdom and luck, which by now are some of his lowest stats. She also has a big ol' demon curse on her, so when Jee-han figures out a way to cure it with his magic bullshit, she'll probably get a huge power boost and they can pair up to be unstoppable.

I'd still rather that he ended up with the martial arts redhead though.

Also, I can't wait to see gamer abilities be useful during the date, or see him pick up new ones! I expect his "game" passive that lets him stay calm will be useful for sure. Maybe he shapes some mana into a flower for her or something and gets the ability to create simple objects with mana? Anyway, as fun as the grinding is it's time to see him come up with new ridiculous abilities, or use his stuff in odd ways in real-life situations.

Ah, and how did I forget about the obvious dating sim gags? At this point, it'd be a subversion to not mention dating sims at all.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 15, 2014

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

There is a semblance of a plot, but I still don't know what the gently caress is going on. White-plaid-shirt-guy with evil smirk -- watch out for him. Is he someone we should? We finally see the witch and her wolf-man again, sort of.

Are all the girls Han Ji-Han meets idiots? "I'll do anything you ask. Just one thing. But, it can be anything."

Uh. How about...did you think even?

What would rock? Gnome is a jealous earth elemental and she ruins their date.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Both of his ~mysterious classmates~ have been living incredibly sheltered lives, so yeah, they're pretty much idiots.

I hope this leads to the dad stalking their date.

Actually, I just want to see the dad finding out about it. Can you even imagine?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

How is using leverage to get dates smart?

If she likes him she'd probably go on date without it being counted as a favor (so he could use the favour for something else and still get the date).
If she doesn't like him then a grudging date wouldn't go anywhere, except maybe if he had some masterplan for changing her opinion.

I don't think there's anything wrong with reciprocal relationships, but I do think there's a problem with purely transactional relationships. If you can see that distinction.

Fellis posted:

Scary organization and fedora man are going to do evil thing in korea and need to kidnap demon daughter that main character is going on a d-d-date?! with, also they are telling other evil organizations how to do evil thing because

Their other plan seems to be selling Evil Magical How-To guides and hoping that the buyers stir poo poo up on their own. Like a terrorist organisation writing a book called "Bombs for Beginners" and waiting for society to destroy itself.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er, where are you guys reading the latest chapter? The english Naver site only has up to chapter 10 translated.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RatHat posted:

Er, where are you guys reading the latest chapter? The english Naver site only has up to chapter 10 translated.

It's up on Mangacow.

http://mngacow.com/The-Gamer/50/

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wait, intricate plots, usernames that make no sense, and fedoras. They must be 4Channers.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I agree that using leverage to get a date is really bad in general, but I'm not so sure it's what he's really doing here. He said over and over again that he didn't expect anything from her and what he did was no big deal. Then him asking her out just kind of slipped out of him without any plan or thought about leverage. Whether it's creepy and bad or just an unusual lead up to a first date will rest on how the actual date goes, I think.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Her status page literally said she was "interested" and "curious", so I don't think this was a bad response. It settles the debt in her mind without forcing her to do anything she didn't want to do anyway.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I just see someone with an incurable disease to grind heal magic on.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just see someone with an incurable disease to grind heal magic on.

I seriously half expected him to be like 'okay let me test how strong my healing has gotten. Stand still.'

Also, he should convince his friend to let ogres hit him a few times, so he has someone to grind healing on.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
How else will he get Necromancer teleport if he doesn't find a way to eventually win his teacher's heart?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just realized that doing soul recovery a lot during the date will both make her feel better and give him the perfect excuse to hold her hand. It'd be nice if he heals her up a lot and then they go do some sort of physical event (running for example) together that she hasn't been able to do due to her curse. Insert joke about Jee-han finding a way to grind even during a date here.

Also, if he follow the Always Sunny DENNIS system, then it establishes value quite well.

I do hope he's able to get rid of her curse eventually though, it seems to make her life very difficult and it'd probably add decades to her life. He'd basically be doing the magic equivalent of curing cancer too, since even her super mage father can't cure her, and is most likely doing very evil things (tm) to try to create a cure for her.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It would actually be great if all he can think of for a date is to just go to a park or something and then he grinds his healing stat.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
I went back and checked the page in chapter 24 when Han Jee-Han first uses Inspect on Hwan Sung-Ah, and in chapter 32 when he checked her while she was looking at the cat. I noticed that her Wisdom was 68 in both cases, five points higher than it is now.

I wonder what caused her to lose those five points?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

John_A_Tallon posted:

I wonder what caused her to lose those five points?

She agreed to go on a date with Jee-Han...

Also, wasn't someone saying something about wanting Jee-Han to face off against a luck wizard.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 15, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Arkitektbmw posted:

Also, wasn't someone saying something about wanting Jee-Han to face off against a luck wizard.

I want Jee-Han to level up observe to the point where he can learn skills by watching someone else do them. Then fight a proper wizard.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe her curse degenerates her stats?

Rivers
Jan 19, 2007
She made the horrible decision to give a guy anything he wanted for payment and suffered a wisdom loss.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

This may seem arbitrary, but physical stats are easier to develop than mental ones.

You can always work out to get stronger, but you can't think harder to make yourself smarter.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Azubah posted:

This may seem arbitrary, but physical stats are easier to develop than mental ones.

You can always work out to get stronger, but you can't think harder to make yourself smarter.

Yes you can. That's how you increase wisdom.

It does seem like physical stats are way easier to raise though if you happen to follow the training program of an elite ancient sect of warriors in a time stasis bubble.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Azubah posted:

Except that you could literally raise int by studying and getting smarter. There are just diminishing returns to it all, meaning his low as hell physical stats go up faster than his super human intelligence.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Do we know that there's diminishing returns on intelligence? I can see that maybe if he kept studying the same subjects. He might be able to "reset" how much points he gets by moving onto another subject.

Maybe he can master mathematics and then move onto learning history or micro-biology or something along those lines.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Davinci posted:

Do we know that there's diminishing returns on intelligence? I can see that maybe if he kept studying the same subjects. He might be able to "reset" how much points he gets by moving onto another subject.

Maybe he can master mathematics and then move onto learning history or micro-biology or something along those lines.

Only that he said that he couldn't grind his int up mundanely a few chapters ago, when he decided to max int and mundanely train other stats.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Davinci posted:

I don't think there's diminishing returns, just that the amount of effort it takes to raise a skill via hard work is exponentially larger when the skill is at a higher level.

Think of it this way : Each skill has its own amount of EXP that it gains when you do activities like studying, jogging, etc.

A high level skill requires vast amounts of studying exp to raise because it's high level. a low level (stamina) skill requires SIGNIFICANTLY less EXP to raise because it's low.

The shortcut is levelling up and applying skill points from the menu. Those raise the skill regardless of how much effort you put in. So the most effective way to go about it is to use the menu to level up sills that would otherwise take a HUGE amount of effort to raise (INT) and just raise the low skills (Agility, Stamina, STrength, etc) via hard work.

Does that make more sense?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

khy posted:

I don't think there's diminishing returns, just that the amount of effort it takes to raise a skill via hard work is exponentially larger when the skill is at a higher level.

Think of it this way : Each skill has its own amount of EXP that it gains when you do activities like studying, jogging, etc.

A high level skill requires vast amounts of studying exp to raise because it's high level. a low level (stamina) skill requires SIGNIFICANTLY less EXP to raise because it's low.

The shortcut is levelling up and applying skill points from the menu. Those raise the skill regardless of how much effort you put in. So the most effective way to go about it is to use the menu to level up sills that would otherwise take a HUGE amount of effort to raise (INT) and just raise the low skills (Agility, Stamina, STrength, etc) via hard work.

Does that make more sense?

That's basically what diminishing returns means. The same amount of effort gets you less improvement as you improve more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Arkitektbmw posted:

Indeed, that was me! I wanted him to fight one though, not date one!

They are a fine complement to one another though, stat wise, and I believe she's the only high luck character we've seen so far, which doesn't make too much sense when you have the bad luck to have an unbreakable curse.

As long as there's some Soul Recovery during the date I'll be happy. I don't think I can respect a guy who has a way to ease his date's curse and ignores it entirely to take her on a Ferris Wheel or something instead.