Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hardware or in the cleaning supplies section of your supermarket. Unless you're in a country like mine :australia: where they've banned sales of pure ammonia due to potential terrorism-related uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
...pee in your tank.

Lbeuol
Aug 19, 2006

Washing my hands since 2002
Sure, time to pee

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Lbeuol posted:

Any suggestions on where I get the ammonia?

It has to be pure ammonia with no additives or surfactants added, read the label and it will tell you on the back. Absolutely nothing added, no surfactants... I am stressing that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Lbeuol posted:

Any suggestions on where I get the ammonia?

I found some at a grocery store in the cleaning product isle. Supposedly the bottle fizzes when you shake it if there are detergents or other unwanted chemical agents, but mine fizzed even though the only ingredient listed was ammonia. At any rate it did work. I was surprised how much was needed to actually raise ammonia to 5.0 ppm, it was like half of a paper bathroom cup for my 75g.

E: Lots of people recommend ACE Hardware for pure ammonia with no surfacants (which may or may not be harmful).

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 7, 2014

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

somehow duckweed found it's way into my aquarium and it is propagating faster than any plant I've ever seen. I netted a bunch out that weighed 3.3 lbs on Monday and today the surface is covered again.

apparently duckweed has a high protein content for a plant, maybe I can dry it out and brick it and sell it to vegans

Lbeuol
Aug 19, 2006

Washing my hands since 2002
Thanks for all the help!

I actually tried to introduce duckweed into my tank...... but my fish ate all of it, haven't seen any since.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chichevache posted:

Well it has been quite a while since I was supposed to start the tank up, but I finally got it running a few days ago. Right now I have an amazon sword, miscellaneous anubias, and some dwarf baby tears. I don't have a CO2 tank yet so I will be relying on Flourish Excel until then. I dosed it with two capfuls two days ago and yesterday I already had some pearling from the baby tears.

How often should I be dosing with excel at the moment? The only inhabitant besides the plants is a betta I couldn't help but bring home from the store.

*edit*
I forgot, the lighting is a Finnex Ray 2 and the filtration is from an Eheim classic 250. The flow from the Eheim was too strong for the betta so I reduced it by about half.

Bumping since I think it got lost on the last page.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You should have dosing instructions on the bottle. I used that as a guide and slowly bumped it up until the tank inhabitants protested by trying to jump out of the tank. It's used up and degrades fairly quickly once out of the lightproof bottle. I do a daily dose at any rate in the morning.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SynthOrange posted:

You should have dosing instructions on the bottle. I used that as a guide and slowly bumped it up until the tank inhabitants protested by trying to jump out of the tank. It's used up and degrades fairly quickly once out of the lightproof bottle. I do a daily dose at any rate in the morning.

Thanks. It has dosing instructions, but I felt they were imprecise as they don't factor in how many plants I have etc. I was mainly concerned about underdosing the tank as I feel most Flourish users probably have one or two anubias without high lighting.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Egan Yardley posted:

somehow duckweed found it's way into my aquarium and it is propagating faster than any plant I've ever seen. I netted a bunch out that weighed 3.3 lbs on Monday and today the surface is covered again.

apparently duckweed has a high protein content for a plant, maybe I can dry it out and brick it and sell it to vegans

I have the same issue. If I leave for a few days the entire surface of the tank is covered by the time I get back. It's a real nuisance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's a sign it's working though. In my tank's early days, duckweed blew out of control. Now that the other plants are more firmly established, duckweed growth is really pathetic.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

What do you mean by working?

The other plants are growing just fine, I think it's just that the tank is pretty small so there's not a lot of surface area. I think this picture was a day after I cleaned out a ton of duckweed. I think everything else is pretty drat established.

edit: corrected the color a bit.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 8, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh in that case I've no idea. Looks nice and bright though. By working I mean as a nitrate absorber for you to remove from the tank.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

I don't mind it that much. The fish seem to like the lowered light, and I need floating plants if I want gouramis or rams or something.

Plus, I like this look better than the oily look that unbroken surface water has sometimes.

e: While I'm at it I may as well put up a full tank shot.

110 gallons of snails and duckweed

Egan Yardley fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 8, 2014

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Egan that tank is awesome!

Orange: To be fair, everything grows like crazy in that little tank. My main concern with the duckweed (aside from not really liking how it looks) is that it will stop or slow gas exchange at the surface and make life more difficult for the fish.

Although they reproduce at such a breakneck pace that if there was an issue I'd just have to wait a few weeks for the population to rebound.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Egan that tank is awesome!

Thanks, yours is very pretty as well! I might post some more pictures later when I get some time.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Actually, maybe I can pick your brain since you have a big tank. My sister's tank is very tall, and she's looking for plants that will grow vertically more than horizontal, and preferably a few feet tall

My tank is tiny so I'm no real help.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Actually, maybe I can pick your brain since you have a big tank. My sister's tank is very tall, and she's looking for plants that will grow vertically more than horizontal, and preferably a few feet tall

My tank is tiny so I'm no real help.

Amazon sword, temple narrow leaf and java ferns grow very tall given enough light and nutrients. In fact, my java fern was the fastest growing plant in the tank until it started competing with the temple narrow leaf for light. Madagascar lace does as well, but its a very fickle plant.

When wisteria grows tall enough eventually it'll branch out with beautiful leaves (They're back left and back right in the pic of my tank I posted). Moneywart is pretty boring but that grows pretty tall as well.

Ludwigia has the ability to grow outside of the tank but it won't grow out of the tank by itself like amazon swords or wisteria do. Valls (corkscrew vallisneria) grow pretty tall and will rest at the top of the water until trimmed, but I opted out of having them in my tank. Great background plant, though.

My red rubin has stayed the same height for a few months, but it's directly competing with a few other leafy plants.

Green myrio is also a weird plant in that it'll grow an inch a day one week and then lose all its needles and die back to the roots the next.

Also, I dose with Flourish Excel every day. The tank and plants pictured are about 5 months old.

It's hard to fill out a tall tank, I've learned. That's why I have 2 pieces of driftwood vertical, to fill it out some. There is also a piece of driftwood hanging at the bottom hiding the heater.

Egan Yardley fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 8, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Red Rubin is great for a tall tank. We bought it tiny, knowing nothing about it, and it outgrew our 20 gallon in a month, then our 55 gallon a month later.

Then our red hook finally noticed it and it was gone within a few days.

I hate you, red hook.

Inaeseru
Feb 8, 2013
Oh wow, I was looking at my fishes today when something small caught my eye. Baby guppies! Well I only saw 1 of them but I have quite a bit of plants in the tank. Help me goons what do I do now!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Inaeseru posted:

Oh wow, I was looking at my fishes today when something small caught my eye. Baby guppies! Well I only saw 1 of them but I have quite a bit of plants in the tank. Help me goons what do I do now!

You get something that can eat them before your tank is overrun.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Chichevache posted:

You get something that can eat them before your tank is overrun.

This. As much as I'd love fry to survive and grow, they'll overrun your tank to collapse.
I actually took some advice of letting my tank go a day without food to increase the chances that the fry would get thinned out, and it worked. This of course will be a bigger challenge now with the Cabomba I put in

Alright, not the best pic in the world and still working on things like getting the bamboo strapped down into a steady row

The thing the bamboo in the upper left is attached to is the filter catch. I have an Aqueon 20 that dumps into it like a second filter while the small pump on the right side feeds into it to get the water from the corner. I plan to get the bamboo completely strapped down so I can cover the pump to hide it a bit. Can just barely make out the mangroves in the upper left that cover over that end of the tank and gives the fish a place to rest without laying on the bottom. The shrimp love having the bamboo roots exposed, gives them a place to molt in peace

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 10, 2014

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I added 7 Harlequin Rasboras to my planted 10gallon, and now I'm sort of worried about my decision since I've read a couple people claiming that's too small for this species. They're eating well, growing, and one healed his tail fin that was a bit nipped when I got him. They do fight a lot when the lights go on in the morning, but calm down after I put some food in. All of them are eating and none have any visible injuries.

Are they just reestablishing their pecking order every morning or am I keeping them in a too small tank that makes them angry?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So a few months ago I bought a beta from Petco, along with a half gallon tank. I've managed to keep him alive this long, and I actually enjoy watching him and care isn't all that awful. With that said, I'd like to upgrade to a 20 gallon tank and introduce a few new fish. I've read up about cycling in the OP and plan to do that but what other fish tank well with a beta? Will I have to use different food? Multiple types of food and hope each fish eats it's own kind? There is so much information it's daunting.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Every fish is different and can have different temperaments.

That being said, stay away from other aggressive fish and fish that have long flowing fins and tails.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

omnibobb posted:

Every fish is different and can have different temperaments.

That being said, stay away from other aggressive fish and fish that have long flowing fins and tails.

^ This. Some bettas are pretty chill, some aren't. I had one that savagely attacked a clown pleco when I tried to put it in a community tank. It didn't care at all about the other fish, but something about the pleco set it off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cories get along pretty well with bettas. They are bottom dwellers and dont compete for space, and are ridiculous to watch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there anyway to get an Eheim Aquarium into the United States?

Aquarium furniture is just terribly styled...

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
My 37 gallon tank sprung a leak!
I noticed a small amount of water puddled around the bottom of my tank a few hours ago, it looked like condensation so I wiped it off but it returned again several minutes later.
I didn't want the small leak to turn into a huge one, so I emptied the tank immediately.
I am exhausted from draining the water using only a one gallon bucket, wrangling my massive fish into his emergency tank, scrambling to rig up a filter, digging up all the plants, scooping up all the gravel then all the soil beneath it, washing out the tank with clean water, etc.

I discovered that the silicone has peeled away from the sides at the bottom in a few places. I don't know how to go about fixing this since the bottom of the tank is glass and the sides are acrylic. I don't have money to buy an all new aquarium right now and keeping Fimmion in a tiny bucket isn't an option so I have to repair it. Any tips or online guides you goons recommend?

Here's sad Fimmion in his tiny little emergency tank.

Happier times in the tank that is now sitting drained and dry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scrape every bit of old silicon off, reapply aquarium safe silicon and let it cure fully.

Looks like there's plenty of resealing guides on youtube for direction if you need any, but doesnt seem complex if you're the least bit handy with DIY. It's important that you use aquarium safe silicon or else you risk chemicals leeching into the water and poisoning it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3nNJ0PRhB0

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I added 7 Harlequin Rasboras to my planted 10gallon, and now I'm sort of worried about my decision since I've read a couple people claiming that's too small for this species. They're eating well, growing, and one healed his tail fin that was a bit nipped when I got him. They do fight a lot when the lights go on in the morning, but calm down after I put some food in. All of them are eating and none have any visible injuries.

Are they just reestablishing their pecking order every morning or am I keeping them in a too small tank that makes them angry?

The general rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon. According to liveaquaria.com, harlequin rasboras reach a size of 2". So 2"x7 = 14" of fish --> 14 gallons in general. I haven't worked with harlequin rasboras before so I can't speak to their temperaments.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Don't buy silicon at a pet store either, get GE Silicon I. You can get it at lowes or Home Depot. It's the same stuff and much cheaper. Follow one of the youtubes. Just need a scraper, silicon, caulking gun and masking tape. I'm not handy at all and I was able to pull it off.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I wouldn't be worried about it as long as you're able to keep the water clean.

Harlequins will establish a pecking order within their group. It sounds like what you're seeing is normal in my experience. I wouldn't keep fewer than 6 of them together in any tank personally. My opinion is that 7 in a 10gal is fine.

Are their other fish in the tank as well?

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Scrape every bit of old silicon off, reapply aquarium safe silicon and let it cure fully.

Looks like there's plenty of resealing guides on youtube for direction if you need any, but doesnt seem complex if you're the least bit handy with DIY. It's important that you use aquarium safe silicon or else you risk chemicals leeching into the water and poisoning it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3nNJ0PRhB0

I bought some sealant that's 100% silicone and it says aquarium safe right on the front.
Do I need to remove ALL the sealant or just the stuff in the area where it's leaking?

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Dantu posted:

Don't buy silicon at a pet store either, get GE Silicon I. You can get it at lowes or Home Depot. It's the same stuff and much cheaper. Follow one of the youtubes. Just need a scraper, silicon, caulking gun and masking tape. I'm not handy at all and I was able to pull it off.

If you're feeling bold, there's a killer power caulk gun that is made by Milwaukee, and HOLY poo poo. It is amazing. Save your hands, and be super consistent.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It won't seal against old silicone, once that poo poo cures it can't be uncured even if you dump that vinegar smelling solvent on there. So the bond won't work. Gotta scrape it all man.

Anybody ever try using hot glue to seal an aquarium?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hot glue comes off non-porous surfaces really easily, I wouldnt bet on it.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It won't seal against old silicone, once that poo poo cures it can't be uncured even if you dump that vinegar smelling solvent on there. So the bond won't work. Gotta scrape it all man.

Anybody ever try using hot glue to seal an aquarium?

I'm sure someone has tried, people make horrible messes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Science get on a substance that will permanently bond to glass but then easily reflow when heated
Why don't they just weld the glass panels together, just melt them? Other than the fact that if it cracked you'd have to throw the whole tank away. At least it'd never leak.