Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Deakul posted:

I recently rewatched Chinatown, LA Confidential, and Sin City and was wondering if Netflix had any movies that would be considered noir? Searching noir doesn't bring up much except... Pokemon shows and other irrelevant crap.

Antiviral is a great neo-noir, in addition to being a sci-fi body horror film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

wa27 posted:

Watch the intro scene to Louie Season 3 Episode 6. I don't really watch Louie but I caught that opening sequence once and thought it was hilarious.

It's a great scene, and oddly pertinent given that the whole thing is Louie and Robin Williams talking about a dead friend. Someone just uploaded the entire six minute sequence to Youtube (with an extra three minutes tacked onto the back end from some interview show), here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asL5VaWzM0

No previous Louie knowledge is required, just consider it a six minute short film where two comics talk about a dead guy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that Louie sketch is pretty much brilliance and also shows how amazing Williams could play it when he held back a little.

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

Oh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I watched Nymphomaniac and was annoyed in a way I wasn't with Antichrist or Melancholia. Its probably because LVT isn't very funny.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I watched Nymphomaniac and was annoyed in a way I wasn't with Antichrist or Melancholia. Its probably because LVT isn't very funny.

Some parts did feel really weird, like he was personally trying to make a statement through what the characters were saying. I liked it more than Antichrist, but not as much as Melancholia.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Some parts did feel really weird, like he was personally trying to make a statement through what the characters were saying. I liked it more than Antichrist, but not as much as Melancholia.

Any chance I'd like it if I enjoy dark stuff but hated Melancholia?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That would depend on what you hated about Melancholia.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It doesn't have the slow plodding second half like Melancholia. The first half is actually kind of slow, but the second half just amps up the crazyness (not Antichrist levels though, but almost). There is of course a lot of nudity and explicit sex so you'll want to be comfortable watching that.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Lars Von Trier could make a pretty cool adaptation of The Silmarillion.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Nobody in this film can act, the lines they say are unrealistic, they're all really annoying, the fx are almost high school standard cgi, it's ridiculous from start to finish, and did I mention the atrocious acting? It's very bad. It's like the director just said 'act natural' and none of them knew what that meant. Also making the main kid autistic as an explanation for why he never speaks (e: apparently he does speak, idk it wasn't clear) and films every single thing no matter how stupid is pretty lazy.

I bloody enjoyed it, me, honestly. Work that out.

Watching this right now and I'm onto the 'creepy' road which looks like a perfectly fine straight forward road and they're all freaking out about it for no reason. Hilarious really.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Aw hell yeah, You're Next! Watch it for a deliciously subversive take on the slasher/home-invasion genre. It's the rare horror movie where everyone - "victims" and villains alike - behaves like actual human beings rather than caricatures.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Aw hell yeah, You're Next! Watch it for a deliciously subversive take on the slasher/home-invasion genre. It's the rare horror movie where everyone - "victims" and villains alike - behaves like actual human beings rather than caricatures.

I was just about to ask about this one. I skipped the theatrical release but I've heard that it is pretty fun and as you said has a different take on the genre.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

I was just about to ask about this one. I skipped the theatrical release but I've heard that it is pretty fun and as you said has a different take on the genre.

i came here to thank whoever recommended it before, because it's ace.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, You're Next is really good but I've also found it's a movie that's really easy to oversell. I went in it with no expectations and it blew me the gently caress away but since then I feel I've made it so others have gone into it with too high of expectations. It's a subversive film but it's subversion is very slight. It takes one element of the genre and turns it up to 11 and you get to see the ripple effect that has.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 13, 2014

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah your next is great.

^^take "victims" out of quotes that gives it all away

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Sarchasm posted:

It's a great scene, and oddly pertinent given that the whole thing is Louie and Robin Williams talking about a dead friend. Someone just uploaded the entire six minute sequence to Youtube (with an extra three minutes tacked onto the back end from some interview show), here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asL5VaWzM0

No previous Louie knowledge is required, just consider it a six minute short film where two comics talk about a dead guy.

I hope CK really does make good on that request at the end. :(

bartok
May 10, 2006

I watched Popeye for the first time in over a decade and while a great movie but it feels very manic and weird.
Just so many odd decisions like getting Robert Altman to direct and Robert Evans to produce a family movie and basing it on the comic strip Thimble Theatre instead of the classic Fleischer Studio cartoons.
I looked up on IMDB that Robert Evans had originally wanted to get Gilda Radner or Lily Tomlin to play Olive Oyl, which I can't even picture because Shelley Duvall is the living embodiment of the character.

Here's my favorite song from Popeye -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaspgmHH4wk

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, You're Next was my favorite horror film of last year, a huge amount of fun. Adam Wingard and James Wan need to hang out.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It's the rare horror movie where everyone - "victims" and villains alike - behaves like actual human beings rather than caricatures.

A lot of what I enjoyed about it was a sort of "absurd realism" in the character dynamics - many of the characters are petty, petulant, and overall lovely people, and it leads to some wonderful exchanges.

"You never want to do anything interesting!"
"That's hardly fair."
"Then have sex with me next to your father's corpse."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really didn't care for You're Next but the score is great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You're Next was my favorite horror film of last year, but the funny thing was that it only beat out V/H/S/2 because Adam Wingard's segment in that dragged it down.

Wingard's next movie rules though and you should all see it when it comes out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBMCyDQgQU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You're Next was loving great and a nice surprise when I saw it in theaters. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out on Netflix.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't handle scary movies very well when there are lots of jump scares or things that are scary because they've got weird and disturbing images (gross/violent images / body horror stuff is fine, like, Alien or The Thing or whatever). Would I be able to watch You're Next without embarrassing myself with how fast I need to turn it off?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It is more suspenseful than jump scares, but there are some pretty gorey moments on occasion.

That said, the character interactions are great (and can be very funny) and it has an interesting tone. I took a girl that is terrified of horror movies to see it in theaters , and we were both laughing and had a great time with it.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
My friends and I watched Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie on Netflix while we were all stoned, and we loved it so much that we watched it again the next night. Is there anything else on Netflix with a similar style of humor?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Grey Elephants posted:

My friends and I watched Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie on Netflix while we were all stoned, and we loved it so much that we watched it again the next night. Is there anything else on Netflix with a similar style of humor?

Comedy Bang Bang.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grey Elephants posted:

If you want everyone to suddenly feel really weird and maybe bad about themselves then you could watch The Comedy which is and isn't a comedy and it has Tim Heidecker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you liked Billion Dollar Movie, a nice followup is The Catechism Cataclysm. The Comedy would throw you big time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Comedy does have Heidecker and Turkington working the magic they've become famous for with On Cinema.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you want everyone to suddenly feel really weird and maybe bad about themselves then you could watch The Comedy which is and isn't a comedy and it has Tim Heidecker.

I actually thought this was REALLY funny but I also have fatal quadruple irony poisoning

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The cab scene in The Comedy is legitimately one of the funnier movie scenes I've ever seen. It does have funny moments.

I took a chance on Fargo the TV series in one of the European regions I think and I'm really glad I did. That was fantastic

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I thought continuum season 1 was okay, I actually didn't like season 2, but season 3 is a big improvement. I much prefer Kellogg when he's miserable and getting hosed over rather than childish fantasy dude who hangs out on a boat with ladies. I just wish there was more time fuckery going on.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

hemale in pain posted:

I thought continuum season 1 was okay, I actually didn't like season 2, but season 3 is a big improvement. I much prefer Kellogg when he's miserable and getting hosed over rather than childish fantasy dude who hangs out on a boat with ladies. I just wish there was more time fuckery going on.

Season 3 didn't present you with enough time fuckery? I felt that it went as far as it possibly could while still maintaining its status as a mainstream sci-fi television show. If (hopefully WHEN) there is a fourth season, the fuckery could exceed Primer levels given that S3 finale. This show has really scratched my Fringe itch. And I agree about Kellogg; I was actually kind of disappointed when he showed up as the new timeline's rebel leader/guru

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Season 3 didn't present you with enough time fuckery? I felt that it went as far as it possibly could while still maintaining its status as a mainstream sci-fi television show. If (hopefully WHEN) there is a fourth season, the fuckery could exceed Primer levels given that S3 finale. This show has really scratched my Fringe itch. And I agree about Kellogg; I was actually kind of disappointed when he showed up as the new timeline's rebel leader/guru

I've not finished it yet so i'm not reading your spoiler.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I started watching Nymphomaniac with the intention of maybe watching an hour or so of it at a time and ended up going straight through all four hours and still feeling like the time flew by. Seriously exceeded my expectations in just about every way, much better than Melancholia that's for sure, and probably better than Antichrist too.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
RE: Last season of the Killing.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I just started it but I am as well. It's still crushingly depressing from the start, I thought maybe they'd get a slight break for an episode or two but nope, everything starts from terrible.

I'm glad to see the cinematographer from the past couple seasons is still on for this one. They really manage to make variations of gray look fantastic.

Just finished. What a depressing season but I enjoyed it. End spoilers: Whatever man, I'm real happy Linden and Holder finally got together.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
30 Rock doesn't seem to be on Netflix any longer :(

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

30 Rock doesn't seem to be on Netflix any longer :(

Still showing up for me.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Watching it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just noticed that Season 1, all but one episode of season 2, and most of season 3 of Californication is up on Amazon prime free streaming. Not sure why some episodes are held back, probably music rights as they do use a lot of different music. If anyone reading has never seen the show and has Amazon prime, now's your chance to see if you like it, risk free.

It's one of the raunchiest shows on TV, but has tons of heart, especially the first season. Plus tons of gratuitous nudity. 3 different women get naked in the first 22 minute episode. Plus you get to see David Duchovny put the smack down on a movie theater cell phone user, and hear the phrase "Sweet baby Jesus, Hank's goin' to hell!"

• Locked thread