Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ExecuDork posted:

Pablo Bluth is assuming you will eventually upgrade to a "full-frame" DSLR with a sensor the same size as a frame of 35mm film (24x36mm - the 35mm refers to the total measurement across the width of the film strip covering the sprocket holes on both sides). You might or might not eventually make that upgrade, but in the meantime enjoy shooting your camera.
In my defence, I wasn't so much assuming as reflecting Slavvy's own comment that "I can't use on any full-sized camera I purchase in the future".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Oh, don't worry Pablo Bluth, I didn't think you were at all out of line. Having full-frame as an upgrade path is something that, as a Pentax-shooter, I'm jealous of. :sigh:

I had a quick look at Aukland's Gumtree site for "Nikon Lens" and :aaa: are prices way out of line with the rest of the world. I'm getting flashbacks to XTimmy's long-ago request for an old film SLR that did not cost a zillion dollars because apparently Perth's second-hand market is utterly broken.

What is up with Oceania's used camera market?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

SoundMonkey posted:

Let me tell you about a bunch of retards called Olympus and a 4/3 lens that has "140-600mm" written on it. Not joking.

There's an olympus superzoom with some absurd numbers printed right onto the lens, like 24-600 or something.

Sony advertises the rx10 and rx100 as their full frame equivalent focal lengths, but in a less obviously false way than olyumpus.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Wild EEPROM posted:

There's an olympus superzoom with some absurd numbers printed right onto the lens, like 24-600 or something.

Sony advertises the rx10 and rx100 as their full frame equivalent focal lengths, but in a less obviously false way than olyumpus.

This was a 70-300 they were trying to fancy up by including the crop factor.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's very confusing - who were Olympus marketing that to? The tiny number of people who are very familiar with 35mm-SLR lenses but have recently bought, and not yet used, an Olympus 4/3 DSLR?

The usual !!!5X ZOOOOOMM!!!! I see on lots of bridge cameras and P&S at least makes sense in that an object in the image will appear 5x larger at maximum zoom-in compared to maximum zoom-out, so it's based in a real experience a user might have. Distorting focal lengths seems like a total waste of time.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

This was a 70-300 they were trying to fancy up by including the crop factor.

Was it otherwise bad or overpriced for what it was?

I'm just imagining some marketing guys sitting around;

:saddowns: How are we going to get people to buy this mediocre / overpriced 70-300mm?

:v: Well, because of crop factor it is actually a decent / reasonably priced 140-600mm

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

That's very confusing - who were Olympus marketing that to? The tiny number of people who are very familiar with 35mm-SLR lenses but have recently bought, and not yet used, an Olympus 4/3 DSLR?

The usual !!!5X ZOOOOOMM!!!! I see on lots of bridge cameras and P&S at least makes sense in that an object in the image will appear 5x larger at maximum zoom-in compared to maximum zoom-out, so it's based in a real experience a user might have. Distorting focal lengths seems like a total waste of time.

yeah but how many X is that zoom?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Was it otherwise bad or overpriced for what it was?

I'm just imagining some marketing guys sitting around;

:saddowns: How are we going to get people to buy this mediocre / overpriced 70-300mm?

:v: Well, because of crop factor it is actually a decent / reasonably priced 140-600mm

It seemed like their version of the Sigma one, based on the handling, and sweet mother of god was it overpriced. And hey guess what, it still is. The focal length scale is 70-300, but the little blue box you can barely see on the right-hand side there was proclaiming 140-600.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hey, don't forget about crop factor when thinking about your f-stop number, too!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

Oh, don't worry Pablo Bluth, I didn't think you were at all out of line. Having full-frame as an upgrade path is something that, as a Pentax-shooter, I'm jealous of. :sigh:

I had a quick look at Aukland's Gumtree site for "Nikon Lens" and :aaa: are prices way out of line with the rest of the world. I'm getting flashbacks to XTimmy's long-ago request for an old film SLR that did not cost a zillion dollars because apparently Perth's second-hand market is utterly broken.

What is up with Oceania's used camera everything market?

Everything electronic is hilariously overpriced here, like smart phones and the like. I have to pay 3x the price as north America for tyres for my motorbike. Everything is like that. So yeah, that lens is good value. I just wanted to make sure it would work on my camera and do what I want it to :)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ExecuDork posted:

What is up with Oceania's used camera market?

I think it's mainly to do with there not being much gear floating around down here, and also people paying stupid retail prices for new gear, and expecting a big return when they resell.

It is slowly changing with grey market importing from SE Asia and also a strong second hand market in places like Japan where shipping to Oceania is not horrendous, and the dollar being strong always helps.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey, don't forget about crop factor when thinking about your f-stop number, too!
f/8 and shoot me now

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Oh here's another, the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 which as a massive 25-400mm focal length

actual focal length: 9.1-146mm

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I actually don't mind it so much on compacts/fixed lens cameras because even if you know the sensor size, sometimes its difficult to figure out what the crop factor/35mm equivalent is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So, reading this, it says that "No AF is an inconvenience, but guess what: Nikon AF cameras still all have an electronic dot (or arrows and a dot) in the viewfinder which tell you when you've got perfect manual focus. It's slower, but just as accurate." What is this referring to? I don't think my camera has this feature, or I wasn't aware of it if it does.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

I think some cameras have the arrows indicating you are close in one direction or the other, others just have the dot that lights up.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

If you use an older screwdrive lens (for example the 50mm f/1.8D or the 135mm f/2 DC), it doesn't have an autofocus motor inside, and they use an in-body motor to do the focussing

Cheaper Nikon DSLRs (the D3000, D5000 series) don't have that in-body motor. Thus, if you use an older screw drive lens on these, you won't get autofocus.

However, in the viewfinder, you get a little dot that shows up when you are in focus.

In the newer bodies (D5200 and newer, I think), it also comes with little arrows that tell you which direction to rotate the focus ring, then the dot shows up when you are in focus.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Slavvy posted:

So, reading this, it says that "No AF is an inconvenience, but guess what: Nikon AF cameras still all have an electronic dot (or arrows and a dot) in the viewfinder which tell you when you've got perfect manual focus. It's slower, but just as accurate." What is this referring to? I don't think my camera has this feature, or I wasn't aware of it if it does.

He's right, but don't listen to Ken Rockwell. Ever.

But yes as others have said you get a green dot (on the far left I think?) when the AF module thinks you're focused correctly, and on pro-series bodies (D1,D2,D3, etc), there are two arrows which even show you which direction you're out of focus (near/far).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was the first result in google :shobon:

Just had a look, I have the dot. How does it 'know' if you're focused correctly? How is it able to judge that at all? I'm pretty good with technical stuff but cameras are magic to me.

Also, where would I buy one of the little rubber eyepiece thingies that goes around the viewfinder? Mine is missing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Slavvy posted:

Just had a look, I have the dot. How does it 'know' if you're focused correctly? How is it able to judge that at all? I'm pretty good with technical stuff but cameras are magic to me.

Also, where would I buy one of the little rubber eyepiece thingies that goes around the viewfinder? Mine is missing.

The exact same way it knows when to stop the normal autofocus motor/screwdrive. It still has all the systems and coding to focus those lenses, it just lacks the screw.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus#Phase_detection

I think your camera is using contrast detection, phase detection is used more often on mirror-less cameras.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus#Phase_detection

I think your camera is using contrast detection, phase detection is used more often on mirror-less cameras.

You have that backwards. Well, not completely, because on-sensor phase detect is a thing now. And contrast detect is only done on the sensor, so it would only tell you if things are focused in liveview mode on a DSLR.

When looking through the viewfinder on an SLR, a bit of the light around where the AF points are gets split by another mirror into dedicated phase detect sensors. Even if the camera can't change the focus in the lens, it can still tell if the areas that land on the AF points are in focus or not.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are there any decent free Lightroom alternatives for doing basic newb-level adjustments?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Your camera's bundled software should be able to do basic RAW adjustments and stuff. If you don't have the CD it should be up for download on the company's website.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any decent free Lightroom alternatives for doing basic newb-level adjustments?

Exactly this discussion is happening in this thread right now:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912&pagenumber=108#lastpost

I use Darktable, but there's other options like rawtherapee or whathaveyou:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format#Free_and_open_source_software

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pham Nuwen posted:

I dunno about "decent", but depending on your operating system there are a few not-Lightroom options.

*reads further down this thread*

Oh, hey, in the PP thread my post from a while ago has been dug up!

ExecuDork posted:

Links to the programs I found a while ago in my procrastination-y search for LR alternatives.
Corel
Raw Therapee
ACDSee
LightZone
Darktable

I never tried any of them, so I can't say anything about them other than "They exist, and apparently allow most of the functions you currently get from Aperture or Lightroom".
When it comes time for me to upgrade from LightRoom 3.6 (i.e. new home desktop with more horsepower) I'll probably take a serious look at those. Also, one of the comments following my post in the PP thread was "LOL Corel" so perhaps they don't have the best reputation?

GIMP is the open-source alternative to Photoshop, and if they haven't fully implemented RAW functions in the current release you can download a plugin that will let it work with the RAW photos from your camera.

I don't think of it as an alternative to LightRoom, though, because to me Photoshop (which I don't have) and LightRoom (which I do) represent the same underlying program optimized in opposite ways - PS is for getting really detailed with edits to one image at a time, LightRoom is for more basic adjustments to a bunch of photos. I tend to work wtih my photos in blocks of a few dozen at a time, so I use LR every time I feel like working on my photos, and open GIMP about once a month, or less.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I used Gimp for my images for a couple of years and it really loving sucks. Lightroom is totally worth the money if you're going to edit photos with any regularity. Occasionally I wish I had Photoshop too but for 90% of stuff I care about LR is enough. Also its file management is pretty worthwhile.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can always subscribe to photo version of the creative cloud for $10 a month if you don't want to throw the $150 at lightroom all at once.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

big scary monsters posted:

I used Gimp for my images for a couple of years and it really loving sucks. Lightroom is totally worth the money if you're going to edit photos with any regularity. Occasionally I wish I had Photoshop too but for 90% of stuff I care about LR is enough. Also its file management is pretty worthwhile.

gimp is poo poo. Darktable is not. I don't really do any serious 'editing', just post-processing (maybe this says more about where I am on the photography skill hierarchy than anything else), so I stick to darktable. Comparing LR and gimp is like comparing LR and (a poo poo version of) photoshop. LR = Darktable as far as I'm concerned

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Pablo Bluth posted:

No, the situation is more complex than that.

Fuckin' save up a few hundred more and get a D7000 and use every AF lens Nikkor ever made. You'll pay more for the body but you'll make it up on cheap screw-drive film lenses. Your still need a fast 18-35mm, but you can get a '90s Nikkor battleship of a 70-300mm f/5.6 for $100, as opposed to the self-motorized all-plastic Sigma 70-300 that goes for $150. It's only f/5.6 but gently caress it, the D7000 has the ISO range to make it work well enough for newsprint.

SoundMonkey posted:

Let me tell you about a bunch of retards called Olympus and a 4/3 lens that has "140-600mm" written on it. Not joking.
Olympus missed the boat on DSLRs by making a new mount. I would pay any price for an Olympus DSLR that used my '70s Zuiko lenses, but no, they have to be all revolutionary and poo poo. As opposed to, say, Nikon, who still use the good ol' 1959-model F-mount.

big scary monsters posted:

I tried Lightroom, didn't care for it. But maybe that's because I'm a newspaper guy and have been using Photoshop since 4.0.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why are there so many 70-300 lenses by a variety of companies? Is there some math that comes up when you want a 300 tele whereby with the number of elements you end up with you bottom out at 70? I just don't get why 70 seems to be minimum FL for these so often.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Presumably if you go any wider than 70 on a zoom that tops out at 200 or 300mm, it gets really bad distortion. There's a Nikon 18-300 kit lens, and it's really bad, and not because it's a kit lens -- the optics just don't work out if you go less than 70mm on a long zoom.

Edit: yeah, it's the math. Compare the 70-300:

And a couple of 18-35s:

I can't explain the optics, but yeah, it's a thing. 70mm is the widest you can go with a 300mm zoom without the image quality going to poo poo or the price going to "too much for newspapers", it's limited by physics.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 16, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Because normal zooms go up to 70.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
Are there similar reasons for certain lengths/multiples being very common? One thing that always confuses me is that there is nothing (or next to nothing) around 200 and 300 that isn't exactly 200 or 300, while 100mm seems incredibly rare, with 85, 90, and 105 being the most common around 100. Or is it just that manufacturers round more on the longer end, and actually most 300s are really 315 or something?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

junidog posted:

Are there similar reasons for certain lengths/multiples being very common? One thing that always confuses me is that there is nothing (or next to nothing) around 200 and 300 that isn't exactly 200 or 300, while 100mm seems incredibly rare, with 85, 90, and 105 being the most common around 100. Or is it just that manufacturers round more on the longer end, and actually most 300s are really 315 or something?

Frankly most lens sizing is tradition. Nikon makes a 105mm because that's what they have always made, people buy 300mm lenses because that is what's available. In the modern era of computerized design I highly doubt there's any actual restrictions on what focal lengths and lens formulas but there's also no reason to redesign stuff that works.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 17, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

You also have to keep in mind that people like K*Rock would lose their poo poo if Nikon made a 24-100 and a 70-200, because it's redundant or whatever.

Nikon's first version of the 18-200mm has such bad distortion that DPreview re-ordered like 3 test lenses, because they thought they were getting bad copies and no one would release such a distorted lens. I think it's slightly better with the VR2.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pretty sure a lot of focal lengths on the long end are approximate. I think recall seeing some comparison of a few zooms and primes that were supposedly at 300mm, and there was a big variation in the actual FOV.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also p much all of the 70-200 shift focal length with focus. Also Nikon does make a 24-120/4 VR IIRC.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

junidog posted:

A lot of the more "classic" focal lengths such as the 50mm f1.8, various speeds of 135mm, 28mm F2.8 etc. had simple optical designs that just about anyone could do well and do cheaply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Just wanted to post to say that Adorama's customer service has been terrible. Sent me a defective flash, which I contacted them and they requested I contact Nikon to get a repair estimate. Unfortunately they gave me Blackmagic's phone number for service. They have a 30 day return for products so I sent it back in, however I am still losing about $20 in shipping from the process. Even if Nikon could fix it, its lovely to make a customer wait for an undetermined amount of time and play phone with two companies.