Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

nsaP posted:

converted FZ 4 EVA
half faired FZ NEVA
Yep. All bikes naked or fully faired, all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

nsaP posted:

converted FZ 4 EVA
half faired FZ NEVA

I'm not alone!!

As far as the single headlight, to tell you the truth it's never bothered me. I don't feel like it's any worse or better than my naked sv650 that I had before it. As for for myself, I usually just ride with low beams and never really bother flipping on the highs.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Fifty Three posted:

Yep. All bikes naked or fully faired, all the time.

Objectively wrong, Gen 1 Tuono looked awesome with a half fairing, function wind protection and it looks better than bare headlights.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

See also; Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm (or Superhawk). :colbert:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just wanna say that this latest cafe hipster argument has gotten some belly chuckles out of me. Did it even start in this thread?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I just wanna say that this latest cafe hipster argument has gotten some belly chuckles out of me. Did it even start in this thread?

Dunno, but I sincerely hope it doesn't peg the FU meters (first world problems, etc.)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mostly I'm amused by the ridiculous misconception that you can ruin a Virago. Lighting them on fire in an objective improvement, no offense to Virago riders.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have no opinion on viragos beyond "have no interest in."

I think I just connected this cafe dogpile to the one in the pictures thread started by one of HNasty's videos in my head. Or maybe that discussion just had people itchin for another and this thread hit the trigger. Whatever, there was some unseasonably funny poo poo said in both threads this time around.

Cafés/hipsters ruining motorbieking and countersteering are like the two Godwin's laws of this forum.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes, a thousand times yes.

notZaar posted:

Here's a nice stock bike to calm everybody down.

...Alright I'm just posting it because I'm still in love with it.

I hadn't realised someone on here bought one of these. I have an irrational soft-spot for them, please tell me what it's like.

HNasty posted:

Objectively wrong, Gen 1 Tuono looked awesome with a half fairing, function wind protection and it looks better than bare headlights.

Nah, ugly as gently caress sorry. The first tuono only looks good if you think crashed sportbikes patched together by drunken italians look good. I like them but they look poo poo. I can count the half-faired bikes that look decent on the fingers of one hand:

Thumb:

Index:

Middle:

Ring :swoon:

And I lost my pinky in an internet forum accident.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I can count the half-faired bikes that look decent on the fingers of one hand:

Thumb:

When I first scrolled down to this I did a double take because for a second I thought that was my bike and thought "wait, didn't Slavvy just say he hated half-faired FZ1s?"

:v:
(Yamaha sells a little chin fairing for the FZ1 similar to the one that 'zuki has)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Yes, a thousand times yes.

I hadn't realised someone on here bought one of these. I have an irrational soft-spot for them, please tell me what it's like.

If I had to describe it in one word, it would be "mild". It feels real easy and gentle, like I would have to work really hard to dump it. The clutch is smooth and the acceleration is okay. I've never had a sport bike so maybe it's a case of not knowing what I'm missing, but it's just fun to ride and really pretty (except the godawful rear fender extension).

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Nah, ugly as gently caress sorry. The first tuono only looks good if you think crashed sportbikes patched together by drunken italians look good. I like them but they look poo poo. I can count the half-faired bikes that look decent on the fingers of one hand:

True story. First time I saw a Tuono, I was talking to the rider and asked how he went down. He looked at me kind of confused and I was like "What happened to the fairings?"

Then I learned they came like that from the factory. :v:

Marv Hushman posted:

lots of words, and PBR.

Pretty much where I am at. I'd *prefer* people get into the sport properly, and not ride unsafe abominations. However, I only have so much mental bandwidth to dedicate to things, and so they get relegated to that part of my brain where cagers on cell phones and soccer mom SUV's go. I wish they weren't a thing, but I mostly just do my best to stay away from them in traffic lest they kill me.

W/R/T my bikes. The first one (550) I actually bought like that. PO had been one of the aforementioned bolt-on hipsters that didn't know a ton about the bike. When I got it, it only fired on two cylinders because when he screwed the coil pack to the front of the bike he managed to break part of it. He also didn't shield it, so the frame would give you a nice little shock when it rained. I found a *very* good Honda mechanic that used to build race bikes, and he helped get it sorted, but it was just too small for me at 6'2. It was a good learning experience.

The white bike was bought as a twofer. I got a frame with a title, and a non-running 750 Supersport donor bike. The motor and a few other bits for the finished product came from the SS, and the whole bike was built with the mechanics input. Motor was a 836cc big bore with a fair bit of headwork and some improvements (modern ignition that alleviated the need to adjust the points), and a few other things. Throughout the whole process, the mechanic and I made sure it was roadworthy and functional (hence the front fender, and the location of the license plate to act as a kind-of-rear-fender). It was a fun bike, but I ended up getting an offer for it that I couldn't turn down. I'd love to build another one just like it at some point, but right now my money is going to other things.

Now I ride this one. She's a dirty, awkward-looking girl with a face only a mother or a weirdo like me could love, but she's always ready to go anywhere and do anything. And no, I didn't put Diesel in it.

Akion fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 14, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Minkee posted:

People should get over comments on the internet. Plenty of people hate my bike. I ride a GS500e.

SHOULD HAVE GOT A SV650.
SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A 600.
LOL SUZUKI.

Now should I get a cafe seat and some M bars guys? I do live in Austin.

tbf a gs500e is a Good Bike because I learned to ride on one.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Akion posted:

Now I ride this one. She's a dirty, awkward-looking girl with a face only a mother or a weirdo like me could love, but she's always ready to go anywhere and do anything. And no, I didn't put Diesel in it.

Please don't do this, it makes you sound like a creepy weirdo redditor.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

n8r posted:

Please don't do this, it makes you sound like a creepy weirdo redditor.

It was only for one sentence, thankfully.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I think finishing the paragraph with "it" renders the rest of it uncreepy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

half-faired bikes that look decent:
Index:

Do what now.

That looks like Ford Probe or something else that Detroit tried to make look like The Future.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Do what now.

That looks like Ford Probe or something else that Detroit tried to make look like The Future.

German engineered, iirc.

Edit: confirmed, the Katana design team members were all ex-BMW.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 14, 2014

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Does the headlight go up and down, or does it just look like a flip up headlight for some reason?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tbb9 posted:

Does the headlight go up and down, or does it just look like a flip up headlight for some reason?

This was my next question. That might change my opinion on the bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also, I kind of debate that this is truly half-faired.

Also, I know you put that up there because you owned one.

Also, I think they're pretty fuckin hot too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Nah, ugly as gently caress sorry. The first tuono only looks good if you think crashed sportbikes patched together by drunken italians look good.

That's my fetish.

The first-gen Tuono is actually pretty much supposed to look like that because it was cashing in on the tail end of the streetfighter boom, and streetfighters pretty much are sports bikes that have been crashed and put back together as cheaply as possible, and also meant that they could save as much money as possible on bringing it out (the Tuono, Falco, and Futura were all attempts to use up the ridiculous amount of Rotax engines they'd agreed to buy). Seen in that context it makes sense, but yeah it's still pretty ugly, but in an interesting way IMO. The second-gen Tuono scaled that back a bit and the (rare as rocking horse poo poo) Tuono 1000, the last of the V2s, actually looks like a "proper" naked bike - mainly because they couldn't repurpose the RSV1000 plastics for it.

None of which explains the V4 Tuono which has almost no plastics in common with the RSV4 even though it's gone back to the "poo poo we've forgotten to put the fairing on" look, especially as the Shiver actually does look like a proper naked bike (to the point aspects of the design (apart from the ones ripped off from the Monster) turn up all over other nakeds).

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Also, I kind of debate that this is truly half-faired.

Also, I know you put that up there because you owned one.

Also, I think they're pretty fuckin hot too.
Yeah that ain't half-faired. That's gorgeous.

My only problem with half-faired bikes is that it throws off the profile of the bike. Take the SV650, for example. The fairing/headlight looks like it's attached too far in front of the bike, sticking out all on its own. Like a cheap knock-off conversion from a naked. Add the lower fairing or even the little chin fairing and it immediately looks better.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm biased because I own one, but I think the half-fairing on the 90s Secas was pretty well done. Follows the rest of the lines of the bike reasonably well.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 14, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm biased because I own one, but I think the half-fairing on the 90s Secas was pretty well done. Follows the rest of the lines of the bike reasonably well.

The american spec red-with-bad-graphics Seca II was my first bike and by FAR the ugliest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

tbf a gs500e is a Good Bike because I learned to ride on one.

The GS500 is a great bike in general, criticising something for being 'not an SV650' is pretty weak, really. Both are good and have their place.

tbb9 posted:

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah that ain't half-faired. That's gorgeous.

My only problem with half-faired bikes is that it throws off the profile of the bike. Take the SV650, for example. The fairing/headlight looks like it's attached too far in front of the bike, sticking out all on its own. Like a cheap knock-off conversion from a naked. Add the lower fairing or even the little chin fairing and it immediately looks better.

Yeah, it looks like crap. Like it's just been crammed on there as an afterthought so potential buyers could tell themselves "I can tour if I want to!" the same way cars like the 300zx/celica/prelude had those miniature back seats so potential buyers could tell themselves "I can carry passengers if I want to!". I know it's an imperfect analogy because half faired bikes aren't completely useless, but you get the drift.

Twisto I think the V4 touno looks pretty rad. Not crazy wicked sexy like a streetfighter, but respectably mental looking and not half-arsed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What do I have to do to get a Katana? That thing is, as they say here in Socal, sexalicious. It looks like something Rutger Hauer would have ridden in Blade Runner and it must be mine.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

What do I have to do to get a Katana? That thing is, as they say here in Socal, sexalicious. It looks like something Rutger Hauer would have ridden in Blade Runner and it must be mine.

Just trawl craigslist, one will come up eventually.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
God drat that katana looks ugly. Like some kind of half baked moto-jetski hybrid.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Like it belongs in a 1970s car ad on the back of a Newsweek or something.

edit: Well, there's this:

ShaneB posted:

The american spec red-with-bad-graphics Seca II was my first bike and by FAR the ugliest.

Those graphics were regrettable in that they were not these:

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 14, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Mostly I'm amused by the ridiculous misconception that you can ruin a Virago. Lighting them on fire in an objective improvement, no offense to Virago riders.
The virago that started the argument was a 250, though. Viragos are not all the same. Most suck, but the 250, in its class, is a quite nice bike. Its class is shared with Rebel 250s which are comparatively lovely.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Don't forget the GZ250, which is just fat and slow.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Soon!

can't wait to get this fucker running again.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I drove my pickup truck 1100 miles round trip in 24 hours to pick this one up today. It's the biggest bike I've had yet and is a little intimidating, but the power is addicting and it just soaks up anything you throw at it.
2008 Ktm 990 adventure. It came with touratech panniers and lots of extra farkles.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

One of the blokes around here that I chat to a bit has one of those, very nice bike, he loves it and goes everywhere on it.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

kenny powerzzz posted:

I drove my pickup truck 1100 miles round trip in 24 hours to pick this one up today. It's the biggest bike I've had yet and is a little intimidating, but the power is addicting and it just soaks up anything you throw at it.
2008 Ktm 990 adventure. It came with touratech panniers and lots of extra farkles.

One of us. Congrats. You'll love it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

kenny powerzzz posted:

Come at me if you need Touratech crap for it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

notZaar posted:

God drat that katana looks ugly. Like some kind of half baked moto-jetski hybrid.

You just don't "get" the 80s.

it was the ugliest 80s bike

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Those graphics were regrettable in that they were not these:

That was my first bike. Same stickers and wheels and everything. Oh, the memories. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Spiffness posted:

Come at me if you need Touratech crap for it.

If your serious all I could need would be a top case. In case I need to take ALL my stuff at once.