Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If I'd been thinking harder about the potential traffic I would've done the mesh textile and this long sleeved synthetic riding shirt to keep the sun off/wick away the sweat.

Deffo wouldn't have been like 90% of the other riders up there in their shorts/t-shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Full mesh gear with wicking underwear and a wicking T-shirt is pretty drat cool, up to about 100F in my experience.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here I am riding every day in 120* heat in a non perf leather jacket, boots, leather gloves, and jeans somehow not dying.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Radbot posted:

Full mesh gear with wicking underwear and a wicking T-shirt is pretty drat cool, up to about 100F in my experience.
That's the way to go. Underarmor heat gear long underwear and long sleeve shirt are what I got, it doesn't make you feel cool so much, but it makes being hot a lot less unpleasant.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Here I am riding every day in 120* heat in a non perf leather jacket, boots, leather gloves, and jeans somehow not dying.

HOLY poo poo A GHOST

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Trucked it back home from an hour away in another state because it stranded me again. 3rd time now for the Ducati.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I hear Ducatis are reliable now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Chris Knight posted:

25°C with sun is way too hot for perf. leather if there's going to be long passages of crawling traffic.

This is 77F and saying this is uncomfortably hot in perf leather has to be the Canadianest thing I've heard this week. If you're going to crawl through traffic for ages, just unzip your main zip a little.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had a post typed up about how I sat in stopped highway traffic at 95 on the way home thru Tennessee and all I did was stand next to a Semi for a minute in it's 2 feet of shade, but I have too much of a reputation of being a dick.

But yeah you're right, cmon dude 25c is like 80. I was wearing black perf leather and waterproof overpants.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Trucked it back home from an hour away in another state because it stranded me again. 3rd time now for the Ducati.

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What happened?

Also I am never buying an italian bike, christ.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Spent three or four hours pulling the stripped frame plug. I spent forever trying to file the drat thing down, but due to the placement of the nut I couldn't really maneuver the file easily, so that was a ton of fun. Eventually I got to the point where I just had to go buy a rotary tool from Harbor Freight, which worked just as poorly as you'd expect, so I'm just going to return that tomorrow. Eventually pulled the piece of poo poo, did another oil change, and bought a Bikemaster magnetic plug, which is absolutely amazing looking. I know it is just a screw, but jesus the quality difference between that one and the plug that stripped is just ridiculous.

Next up, find out why my throttle is sticking!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

What happened?

Also I am never buying an italian bike, christ.

Heh. Imagine an Italian wife.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Crashed it in some gravel as I was pulling off to the side of the road to take an artsy sunset picture with my bike. Then bent the shift rod back into position and finished my ride. My wrist is a little sore and my brand new cheap mirror is in two pieces but the bike seems fine except the shift lever is still crooked

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Lynza posted:

It seems like some evaporative cooling might work, although it obviously is less effective if you're barely moving. I soak down a neck/bandanna thing with water and put it around my neck. Anywhere you can cool your body's heat sinks (hands, feet, top of the head, carotid artery, femoral artery) would help, I'm sure.

Hyperkewl. You're welcome.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Ever since I had my 2007 Speed Triple it always had a curious problem when moving around at low speeds, the bike would suddenly turn off and the dash would reset and I could restart it and move on, pretty annoying at stoplights. At first I thought it was the relays under the seat, when I initially bought it 1 or 2 of them came loose and caused the bike to shutoff, so I fit them back nice and snug, but the problem kept coming up. After some extensive google searching it turns out this little bracket/clamp by the steering head pinches the ignition wiring causing the bike to constantly shut off when the handlebars are turned a certain amount, I simply removed the clamp, doesn't seem to serve any real purpose besides maybe hiding the wires a little. The wires themselves don't move from lock to lock on the handlebars. Problem went away :BritishEngineering:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't understand. Wires aren't like hydraulic lines, pinching them doesn't block the current. Has the clamp rubbed through the wires entirely? Or was it causing them to pull out of the switch block somehow? I can't see a way that could be happening without causing some harness damage somewhere.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I found it odd too, the wires aren't damamged at all, I suppose they may have come loose in the on the ignition with the handlebars turned at certain angles, all I know is that I commuted into the city yesterday with plenty of stoplights and the bike didn't shutoff at all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's probably causing the wires to put stress on the pins, causing it to momentarily break connection, which is enough to trigger a dash reset.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder if the faired bikes based on that frame have the same clamp, or if they have the usual ugly spring-steel thing with rubber on it. My bet is the latter, that looks like something put there for cosmetic reasons and therefore had no thought put into it whatsoever.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Performed an antediluvian* brake job on my antediluvian motorcycle.

*Completed just prior to another downpour/flood in metro Detroit. Also, channeling Robin Williams channeling William F. Buckley, who used this word in an antediluvian televised debate.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got a chance to test out the compression on the Honda, should be 180 psi ±15, both are dead even at 145. I think that's better than the last time I checked, I can't find my drat notes.

And I found my oil leak: coming out the front of the right cylinder. Ugh.

Time to write up another CL ad and try to sell 'er.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Are you sure that's where the oil is leaking? My 79 Honda CB750K appeared to be leaking from the head but it was just a bad tachometer oil seal. Oil follows crazy paths. Also, are you sure your compression gauge is reliable?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

Are you sure that's where the oil is leaking? My 79 Honda CB750K appeared to be leaking from the head but it was just a bad tachometer oil seal. Oil follows crazy paths. Also, are you sure your compression gauge is reliable?

This. Look for breaks in any gasket, including (as improbable as it sounds) the valve cover gasket. Think trickle down theory.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Good points! The oil leak I didn't get to probe further since the engine was still hit. Going to check the potential paths as well after warming it up again and checking the gaskets.

The compression gauge I assume is accurate since I have nothing else to test with. Idk what else to use.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Ordered new parts:

1. New speedo. The dash speedo is dead, and there is a handlebar mounted speedo that is about to die. New speedo is replacement for the dash.
2. New front and rear foot-pegs
3. New gas caps. old ones don't close properly anymore
4. New VOES (it's dying or already dead ...)
5. New petcock (old petcock leaks like hell)
6. New shifter and break peg extensions
7. New tail light to be relocated to the side mounted license plate
8. Temporary plastic fender to sit in place of the fender that will be reworked, repainted and returned to the bike
9. New handlebar riser. Old one has two stripped threads, and no matter how I try to fix it, the handlebars won't stay fixed in place.

Removed the front fender, started fabricating new front fender that will be about 20% of the size of the old one (Old one comes from Harley Road King and it's huge. Vision for the bike is to be as much bobber like as possible)

More updates will come. Hell, I might even start a thread of my own with photos and everything.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Today I replaced the brake fluid reservoir for the front brakes. When i opened it, the reservoir was empty, with just a little fluid on the bottom. Now that the reservoir is on and filled with the appropriate amount of brake fluid, now I can see that the front master cylinder is leaking too... Fix one thing, find another broken part, old bikes suck sometimes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Busted out my new carbtune on girly's bike today. Astonishingly, one carb pulling exactly double the vacuum of the other makes the bike poo poo to ride. It even sounds different when you're donging now. I'm quite pleased with the result, made a big difference.

Can't wait to fix my puncture and use it on my hornet.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Got my new seat in this week so I slapped that on. Goodbye old awful hard as a rock skinny seat. Replaced the broken and bent levers from PO, now my clutch is much easier to pull in and my and doesn't get caught on the bent brake lever. Then put a new face shield on the helmet because I am dumb and moved the bike with the helmet on the lock and rubbed a spot on the shield with the tire.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Not bike related, but I finally got the god drat bent rear end bullshit cross member swapped in the supra :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not bike related, but I finally got the god drat bent rear end bullshit cross member swapped in the supra :)

Why are you giving us the bird? :confused:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Why are you giving us the bird? :confused:

Gf was taking a picture, fingerphotobomb

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

SaNChEzZ posted:

a motor vehicle with 4 wheels?

That's two wheels too many!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

adary posted:

a motor vehicle with 4 wheels?

That's two wheels too many!

Technically it only has two because there's no front suspension right now :science:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeh. As long as you're moving, it's not terrible. Crack the visor open and loosen the cuffs and neck of the jacket a bit so you get airflow through. Getting stuck in traffic in that though? Ughhhhhh.

You just gotta dress for the weather, though, I guess. I spent the last week camping and riding around the Sierra Nevada, and there just doesn't appear to be a single solution that works all the time when you're going from 1000 feet / 105 degrees / full sun / dead calm to 10,000 feet / 35 degrees / spitting rain / wind in the course of a couple of hours. Bake in your leather jacket and overpants while you're in the central valley, all the vents open, wearing the lightest shirt and pants you have underneath...then climb into a mountain pass and pull over under a tree while it rains to put on long underwear and a second shirt and a scarf and thank god that your gear isn't perforated.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'Stuck in traffic' doesn't really exist for me and my leathers are fine when it's hot out, so the key is to not stand still for longer than 30 seconds at a time I guess. The only time I've felt like I was going to die was when I was blasting on my ZX10 and I had so little airflow that the heat I was generating from exertion was overcoming any dissipation I had.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sagebrush posted:

Yeh. As long as you're moving, it's not terrible. Crack the visor open and loosen the cuffs and neck of the jacket a bit so you get airflow through. Getting stuck in traffic in that though? Ughhhhhh.

You just gotta dress for the weather, though, I guess. I spent the last week camping and riding around the Sierra Nevada, and there just doesn't appear to be a single solution that works all the time when you're going from 1000 feet / 105 degrees / full sun / dead calm to 10,000 feet / 35 degrees / spitting rain / wind in the course of a couple of hours. Bake in your leather jacket and overpants while you're in the central valley, all the vents open, wearing the lightest shirt and pants you have underneath...then climb into a mountain pass and pull over under a tree while it rains to put on long underwear and a second shirt and a scarf and thank god that your gear isn't perforated.

Best summer/warm weather setup I've found is vented/mesh gear with a rain suit in the saddlebags. If it's cool in the mornings or whatever toss on the rain suit as an insulation layer.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rebuild the front master cylinder (kind of a waste of money, piston assembly looked fine), installed speed bleeders and had some fun flushing brake fluid without any effort for once.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Replaced the clutch lever and perch assembly as part of my ongoing rash removal campaign. Recap when it's all back in good nick. Once again, Delboy to the rescue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ifXuMhvKc

Interestingly, we share a dislike of the vertical freeplay found in the controls of some Japanese bikes; HD solved this with a small plastic curved spacer that sits inside the cavity and keeps the levers snug. Little touches.

Also, save yourself some aggravation and buy one of these for circlips/spring clips: http://tinyurl.com/nfmfo7w

You can't Harbor Freight your way out of this one, I've tried. The tips are way too large for anything you're likely to see attached to a bike, and the machining is complete crap. Marv recommended, US-made, with a 4/5 crying eagles rating.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

Rebuild the front master cylinder (kind of a waste of money, piston assembly looked fine), installed speed bleeders and had some fun flushing brake fluid without any effort for once.

Those skirt/wiper type seals in MCs can look completely fine and still be hosed, they're under serious pressure (hundreds of PSI).

Also, I need some speed bleeders :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sunday checked the new clutch cable for operation, and while the engine was running had a closer look at the oil leak. At this point it's looking more like the head gasket, so next job is popping the top and replacing that.