Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Because it's so much easier to complain about something you haven't seen than actually trying to find something to whine about in a feel-good critical/box office hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Gyges posted:

Until this movie Squirrel Girl was a more well known and important character related to animals with bushy tails and grasping hands.

So sad.

To be honest she does deserve that reputation.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jimbot posted:

Reading through his previous tweet reinforces my decision to stop following him as a good one. Even if it's an act, it's a tiresome one at this point.

I'd rather him throw a temper tantrum on Twitter than make a 4 hour VLOG nitpicking the poo poo out of everything and insulting his fanbase who liked the movie.

His schtick is old, and even as someone who stopped following his work a while ago, I went and saw his big trouble in little china episode, and thought that was decent.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I didn't like the GotG (please don't stone me) but I don't act like I need professional counseling after seeing it or anything. I swear, every time Spoony wants to tweet something, Twitter should ask him 'Are you sure you want to write that and embarrass yourself?' and the YES button should be absent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just don't think you can keep doing the 'I'm constantly angry about stupid nitpicky things all the time!' thing for years and have that work. Even James Rolfe had to tone back the AVGN because the character wore him out, from what i understand.

But in all seriousness, I could never find one positive thing Spoony would post on Twitter. It was almost always whining about something, mostly just for attention it seems.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don't think you can keep doing the 'I'm constantly angry about stupid nitpicky things all the time!' thing for years and have that work. Even James Rolfe had to tone back the AVGN because the character wore him out, from what i understand.

But in all seriousness, I could never find one positive thing Spoony would post on Twitter. It was almost always whining about something, mostly just for attention it seems.

Which is honestly kind of weird, since I really like his recent reviews specifically because he toned down the super angry act. Look at the Big trouble review, it's clear that he doesn't like the game, and despite it being an adaption of his favorite movie, is actually a lot more calm and sarcastic than foaming angrily.

And it genuinely makes for a pretty entertaining video, because the jokes land a lot better when they don't stem from bitterness.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The only thing worse than Spoony's twitter is his dog's twitter.

It's embarrassing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
But who is better, Rocket Raccoon or Ch'p, the sentient alien squirrel who is also a Green Lantern?

...the answer is Rocket Raccoon but WHY DOESN'T CH'P HAVE HIS OWN MOVIE TOO!? That's all, go about your business.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

e X posted:

Which is honestly kind of weird, since I really like his recent reviews specifically because he toned down the super angry act. Look at the Big trouble review, it's clear that he doesn't like the game, and despite it being an adaption of his favorite movie, is actually a lot more calm and sarcastic than foaming angrily.

And it genuinely makes for a pretty entertaining video, because the jokes land a lot better when they don't stem from bitterness.
I haven't watched his recent stuff because I got tired of the lack of actual jokes in his episodes. It was pretty clear that he didn't want to do the work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But who is better, Rocket Raccoon or Ch'p, the sentient alien squirrel who is also a Green Lantern?

...the answer is Rocket Raccoon but WHY DOESN'T CH'P HAVE HIS OWN MOVIE TOO!? That's all, go about your business.

Green Lantern 2 is being made. No way DC/Warner looks at the McDuck Money Bin that Guardians is building for Marvel and doesn't include Ch'P. I mean you'd have to be a complete mor...crap. I just remembered Green Lantern 1.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

A movie with Ch'p vs Dex-Starr, the red Lantern from earth who is also a cat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Green Lantern 2 is being made. No way DC/Warner looks at the McDuck Money Bin that Guardians is building for Marvel and doesn't include Ch'P. I mean you'd have to be a complete mor...crap. I just remembered Green Lantern 1.

They want it to be more along the lines of The Dark Knight (of course).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Metal Loaf posted:

They want it to be more along the lines of The Dark Knight (of course).

Because when I think of a guy who can make green poo poo with his magical ring and who's weak against the color yellow, I think grimdark.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

LoonShia posted:

Because when I think of a guy who can make green poo poo with his magical ring and who's weak against the color yellow, I think grimdark.

No, but you think a billion dollars, always.

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

LoonShia posted:

Green Lantern is actually already a dark character. The various Green Lanterns over the years (there has been more than one) have had some very serious story lines and are not like the silly perception of him from the Super Friends.

After the battle Superman and Doomsday, Hal Jordan's home city is destroyed. He then goes on a rampage, killing other members of the Green Lanter Corps in order to steal their rings so he can use the power to resurrect the entire city and all the people who died.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

No, but you think a billion dollars, always.

I thought we were talking about Green Lantern, not Batman?

I mean, I know Warner Bros. gets pretty much every superhero confused with Batman, but still.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Green Lantern lost a lot of money, mainly because of the wierd way Hollywood accounting works (counting production and marketing costs, it needed to make about $500 million to make a profit, it made less than half of that).

If there's another Green Lantern movie, it'll be a complete reboot a few years down the line, not a sequal, and likely not with Ryan Reynolds (especially considering that films starring Reynolds haven't done well at the box office for the last few years). Honestly, the only good part of that film was Mark Strong anyway.

Spoony whining on Twitter for 12 hours that The Last of Us made him feel emotions like sadness and horror in a horror game and screaming at anyone who pointed it out to him was painful.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hollywood accounting is a weird thing to me and seems like it's the sleaziest thing around. I remember watching a video of someone breaking it down for The Avengers and the end result was that the movie made no profits whatsoever or something weird like that.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I thought we were talking about Green Lantern, not Batman?

I mean, I know Warner Bros. gets pretty much every superhero confused with Batman, but still.

Well yes, my point is the every future DC movie will be like the Dark Knight, whether it suits the material or not, because of a billion Dollars. We saw it with MoS and we will see it with BvS again. WB will stick with this style of movie, because that is the style that made them a poo poo load of money. Since every other project has failed them so far, that is their blueprint for success.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought they green lit a Green Lantern 2 out of stubbornness while Green Lantern was failing to win the box office.

Jimbot posted:

Hollywood accounting is a weird thing to me and seems like it's the sleaziest thing around. I remember watching a video of someone breaking it down for The Avengers and the end result was that the movie made no profits whatsoever or something weird like that.

It's not that the movies make no money. Hell, I'd bet that Green Lantern actually made money. It's that all the accounting is done in bullshit tax lawyer style so as to maximize losses, minimize profits, and pay as little in taxes as computationally possible. With the various tax breaks, pre-selling, intra-studio loans, and various other ways to make sure you movie makes a profit, you've got to seriously bomb in order to lose money.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

And once again Hollywood execs will miss the point that Dark Knight made all the money because it was a really good movie, not because it was dark.

Of course, Hollywood will look for any way possible to make money that doesn't involve just making good movies, because apparently the biggest, most successful movie makers in the world don't trust themselves to do that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jimbot posted:

There's a scan of an internal WB document for one of the Harry Potter movies claiming it made no money floating out there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gyges posted:

It's not that the movies make no money. Hell, I'd bet that Green Lantern actually made money. It's that all the accounting is done in bullshit tax lawyer style so as to maximize losses, minimize profits, and pay as little in taxes as computationally possible. With the various tax breaks, pre-selling, intra-studio loans, and various other ways to make sure you movie makes a profit, you've got to seriously bomb in order to lose money.

Yeah, that's what I figured was going on. It's just so drat sleazy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DStecks posted:

Of course, Hollywood will look for any way possible to make money that doesn't involve just making good movies, because apparently the biggest, most successful movie makers in the world don't trust themselves to do that.

To try and let this not become another nerd rage thread, the reason for that is actually pretty simple.

Movie Studios are basically investment firms with a very limited portfolio.They need to believe in a formula for successful movies in order to convince people to come up with 150+ million your average blockbuster costs these days. What will and wont be hit can be pretty unpredictable. Hence stacking the deck in favor of your movie by using a proven formula, popular stars and directors that are known for their successes. There is no real artistic approach involved in this system, baring exceptions, so it is kind of misguided to accuse the major studios of not trying to make "good" movies, since this is never their intention. The movie needs to make bank, the quality is a distant afterthought.

edit: I am not trying to say that movies aren't art though!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

e X posted:

To try and let this not become another nerd rage thread, the reason for that is actually pretty simple.

Movie Studios are basically investment firms with a very limited portfolio.They need to believe in a formula for successful movies in order to convince people to come up with 150+ million your average blockbuster costs these days. What will and wont be hit can be pretty unpredictable. Hence stacking the deck in favor of your movie by using a proven formula, popular stars and directors that are known for their successes. There is no real artistic approach involved in this system, baring exceptions, so it is kind of misguided to accuse the major studios of not trying to make "good" movies, since this is never their intention. The movie needs to make bank, the quality is a distant afterthought.

edit: I am not trying to say that movies aren't art though!

Movies can be art, blockbusters not as much. The lower budget movies can be artful, as Studios normally use the revenue from successful blockbusters to finance the smaller movies and buy up the rights of indie movies. It's another way to have that magic accounting. I agree with you on the blockbusters. These movies all cost around 150-200 Million, and they need broad appeal. I wish they would take more risks, but I know why they cannot.

OldMemes posted:

Spoony whining on Twitter for 12 hours that The Last of Us made him feel emotions like sadness and horror in a horror game and screaming at anyone who pointed it out to him was painful.

Hold up, what? Does he not want emotions in his games? Also, I thought having the audience feel emotions like horror in horror media was a good thing.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Numberfour posted:

After the battle Superman and Doomsday, Hal Jordan's home city is destroyed. He then goes on a rampage, killing other members of the Green Lanter Corps in order to steal their rings so he can use the power to resurrect the entire city and all the people who died.

Yea, that was "Zero Hour," a storyline considered so awful that DC had to basically completely retcon it in the 00's. Well, plus it rendered the Hal Jordan character entirely unusable for over a decade, none of their follow up Lanterns ever got any real traction in spite of their best efforts, and hey, there was movie money to made on Jordan NOT being a murderous psycho anymore.

Remember that Parallax fella in the movie? He was the giant Hal Jordan reset button the comics used to go "No, no, no, Hal Jordan didn't REALLY turn into a mass murderer, he was just being controlled by a giant yellow bug!"

...so it's not so much that it's impossible to do a darker Lantern film, just...that's probably not a great example of a darker Lantern storyline done right.

Welp, now that I've completely outed myself as a NERD:

Gyges posted:

Until this movie Squirrel Girl was a more well known and important character related to animals with bushy tails and grasping hands.

So when am I getting my Great Lakes Avengers film anyway?!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The other two big "dark" storylines in the GL universe would be Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night, but it'd take a whole lot of set up over several films in order to develop the other lantern corps to do either story any good. They could always adapt "No Fear" for the next film :goonsay:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rebochan posted:

Yea, that was "Zero Hour," a storyline considered so awful that DC had to basically completely retcon it in the 00's. Well, plus it rendered the Hal Jordan character entirely unusable for over a decade, none of their follow up Lanterns ever got any real traction in spite of their best efforts, and hey, there was movie money to made on Jordan NOT being a murderous psycho anymore.

Kyle Rayner got shafted. Also Hal Jordan is the worst, most boring member of the Green Lantern Corps and the world would be better if he had just stayed the Spectre or hosed off to one of the Earths that got destroyed in any of the many DC Multiverse spanning disasters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, this seems like an interesting opportunity to post a video called The Green Lantern Legacy by Chris Sims, which discusses this very topic. He's senior writer at Comics Alliance, and he's recently started a series of videos called "Here's the Thing", where he discusses comics (among other things; he's done a tokusatsu episode, for example).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OldMemes posted:

I miss the days when Spoony was positive on good/fun games; like how he enjoyed Brutal Legend which in turn got me into Manowar.

Did he say something lovely about Robin Williams?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Metal Loaf posted:

Actually, this seems like an interesting opportunity to post a video called The Green Lantern Legacy by Chris Sims, which discusses this very topic.

Holy crap! I didn't realize he was doing video reviews now too. Love his stuff in general, so now I got a bunch of videos to watch now...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The DC animated films are good to excellent mostly, and probably some of the better DC adaptions. Nathan Fillion is a really good Hal Jordan, so if you like Green Lantern, check out the ones where he does the voice. First Flight is ok, but Christopher Meloni just doesn't suit the character as well as Nathan Fillion does. And that's coming from someone with a Detective Stabler avatar.

As for Spoony - the guy can still deliver during the scripted stuff, but his unscripted rambling comes across as mean spirited. That's what I like how about Brad Jones - when he's not playing the Snob, he seems like a chill guy. Like, even when he dislikes something, he's fun to watch becasuse he looks like he's happy just talking about movies and stuff. And Doug Walker just seems like such a happy guy - whenever he does a vlog, the guy sounds so upbeat and like he's enjoying himself making even just minor update videos. It's nice to see some postivity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Metal Loaf posted:

Actually, this seems like an interesting opportunity to post a video called The Green Lantern Legacy by Chris Sims, which discusses this very topic. He's senior writer at Comics Alliance, and he's recently started a series of videos called "Here's the Thing", where he discusses comics (among other things; he's done a tokusatsu episode, for example).

It's a good summation of the whole Hal thing, but I wish it was more than summation with a coating of "What Ya Gonna Do?" with regards to bringing him back. The character had a full arc with a wrap up absolution, and then he came back. Maybe it's just my frame of reference, but I happened to get into comics around the time of the 90s "reboot" and it annoyed me to no end when the legacy aspect, which was a selling point of DC, was undone. Especially since Hal is just a boring rear end character. All the other Earth Green Lanterns have personality and are different. Hal is generic good guy, wearing a white hat(tinted green because of the ring), drinking milk and telling you to mind your gosh darn manners.

Maybe he's different now, I mostly dropped out of reading comics around the time of his return. But it was really annoying as poo poo to me that they brought back a character and put him in the spot light just because they didn't like the way he went out, which was the most interesting thing the guy ever did other than pal around with Green Arrow and learn about racism.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Geoff Johns did a lot to revive Hal Jordan and Green Lantern in general, and it's easily among his best works. I personally really like Hal's stories, even if he is the least interesting Lantern. Kyle and John and Guy are all really fun characters, though, and the GL universe and the Corps itself is among the best sci-fi comics you'll find today, really rich stuff with a lot of varied stories.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Gyges posted:

It's a good summation of the whole Hal thing, but I wish it was more than summation with a coating of "What Ya Gonna Do?" with regards to bringing him back. The character had a full arc with a wrap up absolution, and then he came back. Maybe it's just my frame of reference, but I happened to get into comics around the time of the 90s "reboot" and it annoyed me to no end when the legacy aspect, which was a selling point of DC, was undone. Especially since Hal is just a boring rear end character. All the other Earth Green Lanterns have personality and are different. Hal is generic good guy, wearing a white hat(tinted green because of the ring), drinking milk and telling you to mind your gosh darn manners.

If it helps any, I've got a buddy in my circle who really, really hates Hal Jordan. For the same reasons in fact. I gather a lot of folks feel that way in general. I was noting the issues with Zero Hour as a storyline and how it didn't really achieve what DC probably intended to achieve with it.

I'll be upfront though, I'm still largely a John Stewart fan because of the DCAU cartoons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem with the Green Lantern movie is that they hired Kyle Raynor's perfect actor as the complete opposite personality.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Jimbot posted:

I did a video discussing the basics of Hollywood financing a while back.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJi0C3fhVtc

Oh hey, Moviebob made a new Game OverThinker... and I sort of agree with him for once. The broken clock analogy works well here. It does take a while for him to get past his annoying gimmick..

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

I just watched a movie about accounting and it was drat good! Respect, it's not often that we actually get something that actually addresses this aspect of "nerd culture".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
New Half in the Bag. They heard the criticism about their Boyhood review

:allears:

• Locked thread