Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Ya for sure. I'll get on in a sec. The swimming through the boat thing didn't work so I still need invis so I can go back and buy spells/train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Ya for sure. I'll get on in a sec. The swimming through the boat thing didn't work so I still need invis so I can go back and buy spells/train.

In live you had to get in front of the boat while it's moving and swim up in to it and you would just warp in to the bottom of the boat.

Emulators had a bunch of boat problems so I'm sure a lot was changed. I can't even remember if p99 was actually using the original boats or not.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Our group was immediately ganked by some twink as soon as Butte left lol. I did get to 19 though.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Our group was immediately ganked by some twink as soon as Butte left lol. I did get to 19 though.

Hah.

If the rest of the gang shows up at some point I'll go ahead and jump back on. Don't really want to outlevel everyone with my mage anyway as of yet.

Let me know if dudes are getting together.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Unrest went from like 20 ppl duking it out to completely empty in the hour or so I was gone.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Now it is my pet slowly beating things to death because i dont have my DS yet.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Bashez posted:

In live you had to get in front of the boat while it's moving and swim up in to it and you would just warp in to the bottom of the boat.

Emulators had a bunch of boat problems so I'm sure a lot was changed. I can't even remember if p99 was actually using the original boats or not.

Last I remember P99 used some Velious/Kunark boat model for all the boats because it was the only one that wasn't buggy or something. It's not the standard one.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I think I may have acquired no less than four (4) axes of the iron back. So you're going to have a decent 2hander that should be GOOD ENOUGH for now!

I might not be able to play much if at all tomorrow but i should be able to at least coordinate well enough to maybe get some gears over as needed.

Basically im likely to be AWOL the next 2 days so just a heads up, but if Moniker is around you guys should be ok to group and such. Lake of Ill Omen is a decent option once you have a lvl 20 pet if you stick to dark blues mostly and work your way up if Unrest is just too vile to continue with.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 12, 2014

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
We got a Pugius drop so I at least have something slightly less awful than the dumb spear. That twinked Ogre guy also invited us all to a guild and said we could come to Sol A tomorrow to get mad levels.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Cool Blue Reason posted:

We got a Pugius drop so I at least have something slightly less awful than the dumb spear. That twinked Ogre guy also invited us all to a guild and said we could come to Sol A tomorrow to get mad levels.

That is almost certainly an offer that should be accepted asap, like i said I will be busy tomorrow but let me know when poo poo is happening and if I can show up I will.

Honestly even though he was being kind of a dick I completely get it. He was in a super dangerous zone filled with PKs, with a group of unknowns who on the first pull hosed a bunch of stuff up (due to that lvl 14 chanter almost dying over and over and Hotel having to heal her and drawing aggro), and there were a bunch of possible PKs being super weird and hanging out in the same room with him/us the whole time (which is a SUPER no-no if you don't want people to be paranoid obviously).

Considering that I'm a PK myself and will happily attack anyone I'm not friends with I understand him being blunt and honestly he knew he/I were carrying several of the people in the group while better-geared people were looking to join up and never asked that anyone be kicked. I'd be fine hanging with him and his crew and having an actual chance the next time a fight breaks out.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, he also offered to PL anyone that fell behind so you don't really need to worry about making it at the expense of anything else. I think he said from 5pm est til about this time is when he's gonna be on.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Yeah, he also offered to PL anyone that fell behind so you don't really need to worry about making it at the expense of anything else. I think he said from 5pm est til about this time is when he's gonna be on.

I'd love to get in on that with my cleric. I'll try to play around 7 EST

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
What level is he?

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
I'm on if anyone around 18 wants to group (/m Moniker)! SO ALONE

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Karjia posted:

I can probably PL into the high 20s, and nothing for buddies/goons. My PL time is sporadic though, just hit me up ingame to see what I am doing (Ornate). If you're around level 20 though, I will swarm kite on my bard with you as long as you got an AoE.

ChadBroChill17 posted:

If anyone wants to group or needs some help (PL, farming items, whatever) hit up Ainwein.

Can either of you help me get from 13 to 19 so I can play with my rl friend? We want to duo Enchanter/Druid, but I'm having a hell of a time getting to 19 to group with him.

I have both of you on my friends list and I'm available whenever you are free. My name in game is Tich.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

cinder posted:

I'm on if anyone around 18 wants to group (/m Moniker)! SO ALONE

So dramatic change of plans tonight, I actually can play if people are around.

I don't see you on at the moment but if you see this answer and I'll hop in, got my 20 pet so I should be able to help you get yours quickly.

Also, Lancastar/Hotel, any update on the guild/PL situation? I'm down for whatever needs to be done in that regard, just let me know who to talk to and when.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 13, 2014

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I can get on now, was on for 30 mins earlier and finished out a level in MM. I haven't heard from anyone else at all and no one from last night is on so I have no clue. I don't think the SolA thing even happened unless they did it much earlier than they said they would while I wasn't home.

Cool Blue Reason fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 13, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I can get on now, was on for like earlier 30 mins earlier and finished out a level in MM. I haven't heard from anyone else at all and no one from last night is on so I have no clue. I don't think the SolA thing even happened unless they did it much earlier than they said they would while I wasn't home.

Eh, as long as you've got the guy friendsed you should be able to hook up at some point. As is guilds that are not the top guild are always looking for competent members so people will often stick their necks out to get fresh blood.

I didn't see Moniker on just now so I'm going to do some cleaning the hop on in a few to check again.

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
Butte and I are on in Unrest, Cool Blue, if Lancastar isn't 60 yet :)

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

oh god guys what happened

Also there's an invisible Cazic Thule just chilling by the zone line, no big.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

I see you your frogs and raise you mine.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Dreaddor posted:

Thanks for PLing me tonight. This guy right here... this is a good guy.

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Aww I missed out on frogs? When did this happen?

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

Dreaddor posted:

Ugh how did you get your guild names below like that? My google skills are failing me.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Karjia posted:

Ugh how did you get your guild names below like that? My google skills are failing me.

Old screenshot. It was like that for a long time, but they moved guild names back to being next to player names due to "classic".

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What is the raid scene like now with the rotation?

Will the rotation be in place for Velious?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

khysanth posted:

What is the raid scene like now with the rotation?

Will the rotation be in place for Velious?

There's still tons of drama and bitching and RNF flaming and extremely, extremely stupid poo poo posted - but in game, a lot more people are getting to experience the content regularly and get shots at loot (outside of VP).

And as far as everyone knows, yes, it should hold into Velious as well - but exactly what content will be deemed the "C-only" tier hasn't be announced yet to my knowledge.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

xZAOx posted:

There's still tons of drama and bitching and RNF flaming and extremely, extremely stupid poo poo posted - but in game, a lot more people are getting to experience the content regularly and get shots at loot (outside of VP).

And as far as everyone knows, yes, it should hold into Velious as well - but exactly what content will be deemed the "C-only" tier hasn't be announced yet to my knowledge.

I guess that kind of crap is why I don't understand people's devotion to blue servers - I could never be OK with an arbitrary rotation system determining when I or my guild had access to an important mob.

Though on the other hand getting your rear end handed to you half a dozen times in Unrest by a handful of twinked rogues is pretty tough for most people to stomach as well, so to each his own =]

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

I Love You! posted:

I guess that kind of crap is why I don't understand people's devotion to blue servers - I could never be OK with an arbitrary rotation system determining when I or my guild had access to an important mob.
You'd rather have 60-100 no life poopsockers determining that unless you join them that you never have access to a mob? These people would do the same thing if PVP were enabled so don't pretend like that would help.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'd rather deal with the occasional train and attempt at kill stealing on blue than the perpetual trolling you'd get on red if you tried to raid. People would come train your raid "just because". I suspect nothing gets done on red.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

hayden. posted:

I'd rather deal with the occasional train and attempt at kill stealing on blue than the perpetual trolling you'd get on red if you tried to raid. People would come train your raid "just because". I suspect nothing gets done on red.

Not really, the top guilds are all in endgame VP gear. Don't forget it was only on Rallos Zek that they managed to kill the Sleeper!

It does tend to take slightly longer to get to the point where you can get things done on a Red server but the majority of players at any given time are trying to progress, not kill each other, and those players tend to work together better than the other side. Oftentimes the top guilds will be far enough ahead of the random griefers that training is no longer a particularly feasible option.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Red is fun

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

You've done an admirable job of surviving all things considered

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

Thanks for PLing me tonight. This guy right here... this is a good guy.

Anytime man. It was fun

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
By the way don't worry about me falling behind on red. I've got a 45 bard that can solo if needed and I'm Good At Leveling so it's not a big deal. Plus I can always try to find a PL for my ranger.

I don't have a ton of time to play over the next week or two but I'll hop on when I can. In about two weeks I'll have a ridiculous amount of time going forward so it's all gravy.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Started playing this again after a 3 year break and I'm having such a difficult time choosing a class. Enchanter is interesting and has tons of neat spells, but I'm not sure if I want to put in that much effort 24/7. Focusing intently on charming poo poo for hours sounds like torture. I'd almost certainly pick this if I had a cleric buddy to duo with regularly since that playstyle sounds relatively smooth, but I don't.

Cleric seems like a nice, chill, group-centric time. I also enjoy healing in this game a lot, since it's fairly slow paced and I don't have to glue my eyes to a bunch of health bars that will all instantly deplete to 0% if I stop staring them down for two seconds. I don't care much about solo efficiency, but one thing that really puts me off about the cleric is how helpless they are as soon as they get attacked by non-undead. Even significantly lower level mobs seem like a huge threat. Can any clerics weigh in on this? I also greatly prefer playing classes that can drive-by buff people in a more useful way than "some more max HP and a bit of AC". No invis is a bummer too. Clerics don't have very many cool spells in general.

Druid was perfect and I enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot, but once I started reaching the upper levels he became useless. I got my final heal at 29 which was already complete garbage at 35 and I can't even imagine how bad it would have been at 50, which was the cap at the time. For being such trash in groups they aren't even all that amazing solo, and straight up suck at it indoors. Though I vastly prefer grouping so that wasn't a major problem. I guess I could make a shaman for something similar and less bad, but I really hate all the shaman races (which is honestly a big deal to me) and they seem incredibly expensive at 60.

Hm, how about ranger? I don't know much about them. They have a lot of the druid spells that I like so much. The fact that they suck seems to be a still running, 15-year old meme, but how true is it? If I made one of these I'd be tempted to wait it out until the hybrid exp penalty is gone though, which could be awhile. If anyone knows approximately how long, that info would be helpful. I'm also a little worried about gear dependency since I don't have much money, though I can make a little bit by porting on my druid.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 14, 2014

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I leveled a Druid to mid 50s as pretty much my only character and I did it with a necro partner. Not a super strong group class, but if you have one or two friends to level with it can be good times.

Being able to port is just crazy because I can bind myself where I want to level and then port to the tunnel in EC and donate for a clarity or something and gate back. Playing any other class makes me miss having that privilege. And like you said, it can provide you with some walking around money, especially if you bind yourself somewhere with high traffic and little ways to leave.

When I solo, I quad-kite and it's fairly decent. Charming animals in Overthere isn't bad at mid levels. At higher levels, saving money for a lumi staff and elder spiritist bracers bring your damage up with the manaless DoT and Quad-nuke, and it makes life way easier.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Vargs posted:

Druid was perfect and I enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot, but once I started reaching the upper levels he became useless. I got my final heal at 29 which was already complete garbage at 35 and I can't even imagine how bad it would have been at 50, which was the cap at the time. For being such trash in groups they aren't even all that amazing solo, and straight up suck at it indoors. Though I vastly prefer grouping so that wasn't a major problem. I guess I could make a shaman for something similar and less bad, but I really hate all the shaman races (which is honestly a big deal to me) and they seem incredibly expensive at 60.

Hm, how about ranger? I don't know much about them. They have a lot of the druid spells that I like so much. The fact that they suck seems to be a still running, 15-year old meme, but how true is it? If I made one of these I'd be tempted to wait it out until the hybrid exp penalty is gone though, which could be awhile. If anyone knows approximately how long, that info would be helpful. I'm also a little worried about gear dependency since I don't have much money, though I can make a little bit by porting on my druid.

Rangers still suck, at least for PvE purposes. They don't really stop sucking until they get AAs. They suck a lot less after Velious since they have some ways to shuck aggro, Trueshot Disc to help with burst damage, and a few more robust options overall, but they really don't become a complete class until Luclin-era.

Druids are basically exactly as you describe them. They are fun and great at all the important things and then they max out and you're one of the least important classes around. Still great for ports and useful for 1-group stuff but if you care about endgame content you're pretty terrible.

In PvP both rangers and druids are absolutely fantastic at high levels in Velious so anyone reading this who is playing red keep that in mind.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 14, 2014

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
If anyone is on tonight, I'll be in Guk. Prob with another Shaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vargs posted:

If you think Druid healing is bad, look at ranger spells and cry at "Healing" (100 HP) being your best heal from level 39 to 57. :monocle:

I'd say the only saving grace of a ranger until Velious is that they have snare, and do manaless damage via their relatively weak melee; better than nothing at least. Still, to this say I find rangers and their bow plinking charming. :)

• Locked thread