Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blue orbs are terrible because they take forever to work, even in ng+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

I mean sometimes I'll invade people but I never ever attack someone who is already occupied with PvE enemies because that is just a really cheap and lazy way to win. I've yet to have an invader extend me the same courtesy. I do sometimes try to ambush invasion targets with Chameleon though.

Blue Orbs are pretty great though because you're always invading someone who has "opted in" to surprise PvP combat as opposed to harassing some poor newbie who isn't minmaxing their poo poo but just wants to get through the game at their own pace.

You lame-o. Gren is right; invading isn't some goofy game or honorable duel, it's about the thrill of the hunt. Kill everyone remorselessly and indiscriminately. They can always run or hide if they're not strong enough to fight back :colbert:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loving suck at PvP. I win 1 battle for every 15 I engage in. I still fight invaders because it's a fun part of the game. Death isn't that important.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I like when people are creative with how they hide, using Chameleon in good spots or putting themselves in places where they're hard to see. Makes hunting them down a lot more fun. The dumb ones are the guys that do nothing but run away even when you catch up to them, since they're doing nothing but making their death take a bit longer.

Only really dumb thing is the places where you can make it literally impossible for the invader to get to you. Fromsoft might as well just disable orb use in those areas, it would be the same thing in the end.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qok1XHaDYBQ

Lord bless Emarrel.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I wouldn't mind getting invaded by a hacker like this.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

homeless poster posted:

Man I understand that you really feel this way, but that's like completely anathema to what the Souls experience is all about. What's the draw from the game for you if you're so averse to risk? I can't imagine that the story is super compelling and you're just in love with the narrative twists and turns.

Seriously, if I found some particular mechanic of the game so frustrating that I felt like intentionally killing my own dude was better than dealing with said mechanic, I'd probably just stop playing that game.

edit: wow that was a lot more words than I thought. The pve game is really fun. I love experimenting with new weapons and exploring and I'm still finding cool stuff a hundred or so hours in. The game does feel tough but fair, as it is often billed. Invasions are unfair because they are by people who are kitted out to gently caress with me, totally random and there's no way to prepare for them. They really the only thing in the game which properly feels like bullshit. Luckily they are usually only every few hours so it's not a big deal, but it feels like every time one does happen my progress, souls and humanity are forfeit. The only ways of preventing them involve turning off all the cool multiplayer features as well as the bad one, or burning through a whole bunch of valuable resources. That is also bad.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 15, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

argondamn posted:

I wouldn't mind getting invaded by a hacker like this.
Something like this should be a boss fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nakar posted:

Something like this should be a boss fight.

The Bed of Shmup.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ugh, Peculiar Kindular refuses to give me his staff. I'm up to five of the Song Demon's souls. :saddowns:

vvvv - well poo poo.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 15, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Leydia Witches drop the same staff too.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

edit: wow that was a lot more words than I thought. The pve game is really fun. I love experimenting with new weapons and exploring and I'm still finding cool stuff a hundred or so hours in. The game does feel tough but fair, as it is often billed. Invasions are unfair because they are by people who are kitted out to gently caress with me, totally random and there's no way to prepare for them. They really the only thing in the game which properly feels like bullshit. Luckily they are usually only every few hours so it's not a big deal, but it feels like every time one does happen my progress, souls and humanity are forfeit. The only ways of preventing them involve turning off all the cool multiplayer features as well as the bad one, or burning through a whole bunch of valuable resources. That is also bad.

Hosts actually have huge advantages against the invader, most notably the ability to summon in help. If you find small signs, you don't even have to choose between lugging your new friends to the boss or kicking them out, either. Worse comes to worst, with the power of the life protection rings and the DLC you don't lose ANY souls or humanity on death - only a bit of time.

I understand your viewpoint, but there are steps you can take to protect ya neck, and it sounds like you're not taking them. Let the reds complain about ganking, not your problem.

Batigh fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 15, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it doesn't really solve the problem as such but just slap on one of the Protection rings and kill yourself if you're invaded by someone you don't want to deal with. Means running from the bonfire again but at least you haven't lost anything.

My patience for dealing with this stuff has improved significantly so PVP doesn't bug me as much as it before, but I can see why people don't like it. I definitely prefer the cooperative elements of the game to its competitive.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I still think it'd be a neat change of pace, and much more thematically linked to the SOULS concept, if invasions placed you into a random monster or NPC and you have to use that creature's moveset to defeat the player. It'd make the PVE and PVP aspect blend a lot more smoothly and it'd decouple PVE progress from tainting PVP skill.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I can summon and use the rings (although repairing them is a pain), it's just that I don't really feel like I should have to. Maybe it's not as certain death as I think it is, but I just don't really want to deal with it. I'm there to enjoy stabbing hollows with some tight combat, not play russian roulette with a laggy rear end katana made of fire. It's still an annoying thing I can't anticipate or plan for, which seems like the exact opposite of the rest of the game. A thing to reduce the impact of killing yourself doesn't make up for the fact that killing myself to cut my losses is the best thing I can do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dislike PvP, and while I've never run from it I can completely understand why someone wouldn't want to partake in it.

homeless poster posted:

I still think it'd be a neat change of pace, and much more thematically linked to the SOULS concept, if invasions placed you into a random monster or NPC and you have to use that creature's moveset to defeat the player. It'd make the PVE and PVP aspect blend a lot more smoothly and it'd decouple PVE progress from tainting PVP skill.

It sounds like you want the multiplayer in Resident Evil 6.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

How exactly do you do this? Like what's the process?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MooCowlian posted:

I can summon and use the rings (although repairing them is a pain), it's just that I don't really feel like I should have to. Maybe it's not as certain death as I think it is, but I just don't really want to deal with it. I'm there to enjoy stabbing hollows with some tight combat, not play russian roulette with a laggy rear end katana made of fire. It's still an annoying thing I can't anticipate or plan for, which seems like the exact opposite of the rest of the game. A thing to reduce the impact of killing yourself doesn't make up for the fact that killing myself to cut my losses is the best thing I can do.

Oh sure, I definitely understand you! Just it's great the work-arounds are there, I guess.

The invasion system feels like it's half-cocked in a lot of respects. There's nothing to gain from it but an awful lot to lose.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

homeless poster posted:

Giving invaders the low health and high damage NPC enemies have would encourage all kinds of boring scummy tactics.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nikolaos posted:

Giving invaders the low health and high damage NPC enemies have would encourage all kinds of boring scummy tactics.

NPC enemies have a fuckton of HP tho?

Also, upset there is no hypermod equivalent in this game like in Demon's or Dark. Was always fun to make a character like that.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

homeless poster posted:

They could have left it the way it is, and added this as one of the covenants. Make it an oddball one like the gravelord one in dark souls.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Does anyone have any tips for surviving the second half of the Iron Keep? I killed the Smelter Demon and the Pursuer 2.0 no problem, but the freaking gauntlet of Ironclads you have to run is ungodly difficult. I'm SL one hundred and something, but my bastard sword +6 and craftsman's hammer don't seem to be holding up here. I've got a touch of faith, but my main shtick is greatshield and sword.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jade Mage posted:

Does anyone have any tips for surviving the second half of the Iron Keep? I killed the Smelter Demon and the Pursuer 2.0 no problem, but the freaking gauntlet of Ironclads you have to run is ungodly difficult. I'm SL one hundred and something, but my bastard sword +6 and craftsman's hammer don't seem to be holding up here. I've got a touch of faith, but my main shtick is greatshield and sword.

If you have the Hammer, I don't see why you'd have trouble with the Iron Clads especially if you pull the lever to instant kill two of them past the jump point. Basically bait out their attack until they do a side swing and hit after.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Tae posted:

If you have the Hammer, I don't see why you'd have trouble with the Iron Clads especially if you pull the lever to instant kill two of them past the jump point. Basically bait out their attack until they do a side swing and hit after.

My problem seems to be that it's a knife fight in a phone booth. Only replace "knife fight" with "hammer fight" and replace "phone booth" with "tiny arena surrounded on all sides by lava hell".

The first one I have room to maneuver for, but the second I always get stuck either fighting him in the room leading to the bellfry sol or out with greatbow archers pecking away at me

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Also, you can use the guillotine for the last 2 Ironclads if you really want to, if you're having trouble with the tight quarters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jade Mage posted:

My problem seems to be that it's a knife fight in a phone booth. Only replace "knife fight" with "hammer fight" and replace "phone booth" with "tiny arena surrounded on all sides by lava hell".

The first one I have room to maneuver for, but the second I always get stuck either fighting him in the room leading to the bellfry sol or out with greatbow archers pecking away at me

I'm very confused on how you're fighting the giant turtle dudes anywhere near Belfry Sol's ladder. After the bonfire, kill the two turtles there. If the 2nd one escapes, poke far enough that you're fighting back on the ledge so the sniper can't hit you. Once you kill the 2nd turtle, immediately pull the lever. Then it's just picking off the archers one by one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Don't start fighting the first one till you jump past the gap.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jade Mage posted:

They either swing three times horizontally, four times horizontally, or once overhead. After each combo they have a very long cool down period. You can essentially bate them into an infinite loop of swing and miss if you stand just inside their reach, back hop or back roll on the first whiff, and they stab them only when they're tired. It's not the fastest way to kill them but it's essentially fool proof. This works on the lava platform or the guillotine hallway or literally anywhere you could ever fight these dudes.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The Nashandra boss fight may have been one of the easiest in the game

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I knew it was good, but never bothered to try it until now; attacking with the Sanctum Shield. Good stability (especially if you slap Strong Magic Shield on it) so you're not in too much a danger of being guard broken, 180 degree tracking, quick enough turns to prevent roll BS's, and really good damage output. Made one guy upset enough that he ended up running away to heal the third time I summoned him.

e: I wish I could parry as well as this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HBPOgGBwYM

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 15, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I finally beat Dark Souls 1. My run time was shorter than I thought considering I was farming stuff for a while, but it turns out armor doesn't matter as much as your shield stability (shield stability is the DS2's Dodge of DS1, apparently).

I think I like the variety of enemies more, I like that a poo poo ton more things were parryable, but there are some legitimate places I hated compared to DS2. Mostly places that require platforming or puzzle-platforming, especially ones with jumping which the game sucks at.

There are a lot of technical issues that I have a hard time really enjoying DS1 overall as much as DS2, like hosed up FPS in certain places (Manus's abyss was awful). Also little stuff like not needing to loving equip souls to consume them, more convenient bonfires/warp points, repairing stuff, a sensible jump button, etc.

A thing I love about DS1 is their illusion and hidden walls make sense. DS2 is absolutely loving awful in that regards. DS1's endgame (which I didn't know was a twist in DS2 that you find the 4 souls in the first half of the game) was probably my least favorite. Tomb of Giants was bad, Lost Izalith hurt my eyes, Crystal Caves was nonsense, New Londo was okay. I was missing for Shrine of Amana, that's how much I didn't like it.

Best description of DS1 that everyone said, highs are high, lows are godawful low.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never had any framerate issues in the abyss. Only Blighttown has caused any problems. I also don't think you had to equip souls to consume them, but what you couldn't do was use multiple at once.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I never had any framerate issues in the abyss. Only Blighttown has caused any problems. I also don't think you had to equip souls to consume them, but what you couldn't do was use multiple at once.

You need to have a pretty good computer. My current laptop can run DkS2 at perfect 60 FPS on max settings, while it will drop a frame or two below 30 in DkS in some places. Both on PS3 and PC I found the worst areas (aside from Blighttown of course) were Firelink, Undead Burg, New Londo, Lost Izalith, Oolacile Township, and Chasm of the Abyss.

Also, Shovel Knight cosplay!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Faraam helmet really is one of the best and versatile hats in the game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Genocyber posted:

e: I wish I could parry as well as this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HBPOgGBwYM
He loving consistently lands intentional GS/GH parries.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Jade Mage posted:

If you've got some STR you can destroy them pretty thoroughly with a 2H R2 mildly upgraded (+6ish?) large club hit. If not just hit them and employ cool tactical retreats repeatedly, iirc the only one you can't shake easily is the one in the hallway after the infamous flamethrower room.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, sweep in and jab them then instantly dodge back. It's a bit sluggish but you're guaranteed to land at least one attack when they're recovering from their own.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If you get them fighting in a corridor, they'll pretty much always do the downward slam which is pretty easy to dodge. That only really leaves the first one before the big open room and a couple who are really good at being kites through your friendly neighbourhood flamethrowers.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I knew it was good, but never bothered to try it until now; attacking with the Sanctum Shield. Good stability (especially if you slap Strong Magic Shield on it) so you're not in too much a danger of being guard broken, 180 degree tracking, quick enough turns to prevent roll BS's, and really good damage output. Made one guy upset enough that he ended up running away to heal the third time I summoned him.

Without using a mouse and keyboard is there any way to do it consistently? I usually just end up casting a spell at point blank range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Oh god, I used cheatengine to set NG-level to 7. Did that before the witches and now there's birdmen everywhere, all my stats and level are 1, can't even use the dagger. Think I'll restart and set it after the witches...