Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm really mad I missed Defiler chat from 5 pages ago so let me just say this:
Defilers are really good in the right army. If you're running a rangey chaos list they're actually loving amazing. Drop s8 ap2 blasts on tac squads and terminators all day which I will grant you is not worth 200 points but what makes them own is that having one in your back line is protection against stuff assaulting the rest of your usually quite squishy groups of Havocs and Oblits and stuff while still being able to dish out the hurt at range. They're good at range and good in a scrap but do pay a tax for the flexibility.

edit--top of page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Best defiler moment was when my CSM playing buddy scattered that pieplate back on himself, removing his last hullpoint and being destroyed

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
gently caress the Dreadclaw when you can take the Kharybdis.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it could be cheaper. The more I play Chaos the more I realize people go from SM to chaos and don't realize some big differences and want them to play like marines but their more of a surgical unit army.

Like Steeds of Slaanesh and Palanquins of Nurgle are all amazing but people rarely use them.

You just have to use the right combos.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I bought a Fire Raptor. They were out of stock at Gencon so it'll be shipped. I pray that my wife isn't the one to get the mail that day.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Any suggestions on a load out for a small terminator body guard that's going to still have some functionality with Typhus or should I just stick to deep striking him with Obliterators.

My problem is if my Sorcerer goes sanctic Hammerhands a little waisted on Obliterators.

Also is this a terrible idea

Black Legion

Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer w/ Mark of Slaanesh, Level 4 , Spell Familiar, Aura, Steed (Sunburst). 190 points

He gets the auto Slaanesh power, Rolls on the Slannesh power chart, then rolls twice on Sanctic, and gets the Sunburst power.

With

7 Bikers of Slaanesh w/ 2 Plasma Guns, Combi-Plasma,Melta bombs Icon of Excess 250 points

I dunno getting some bikers and using them, these guys outflank too!

Feel No Pain negates wounds from Perils of the Warp if people were wondering. The only suck one is if it get's sanctuary he gives them a plus 1 invulnerable or improves it which is meh.

But if he gets HammerHand or Vortex it's on.

Outflank, Fire off sunburst with Spell Familiar to make sure it works , Fire off the Blinding shots at another squad.

I'm not to sold on taking Sanctic for the squad and just go with Psychic Shriek.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

POST YOUR GENCON LOOT, MORTALS.

Minotaur Space Marine w/ Heavy Bolter (Event only)
Navigator (Event Only)
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer (Event Only)
Vampire Counts Wight King Battle Standard Bearer
Death Guard Rhino Doors
Nurgle Death Guard Marines Upgrade
Nurgle Death Guard Terminators Upgrade
Necron Tomb Stalker
Razorback Assault Cannon Turret x3
Legio Cybernetica Shirt
Death Guard SHirt

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Fire Raptor
Mortis autocannon dread mkv arms
Simon Lok and retinue
Navigator

Might get an art print tomorrow. Thought about a hoodie but I spent way too much as it is.

Oh, and they gave me Night Lord and Iron Hand pins.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Oh, and they gave me Night Lord and Iron Hand pins.

UGH THE PINS WHY DIDNT I GET PINS I HAVE TO GO BACK

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Reynold posted:

UGH THE PINS WHY DIDNT I GET PINS I HAVE TO GO BACK

get me a chaos dwarf sorcerer and i'll paypal you 40 bux and shipping

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

get me a chaos dwarf sorcerer and i'll paypal you 40 bux and shipping

Deal. I'll shoot you a pm soonish.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Reynold posted:

POST YOUR GENCON LOOT, MORTALS.

Minotaur Space Marine w/ Heavy Bolter (Event only)
Navigator (Event Only)
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer (Event Only)
Vampire Counts Wight King Battle Standard Bearer
Death Guard Rhino Doors
Nurgle Death Guard Marines Upgrade
Nurgle Death Guard Terminators Upgrade
Necron Tomb Stalker
Razorback Assault Cannon Turret x3
Legio Cybernetica Shirt
Death Guard SHirt

I kinda wish they offered those shirts outside of events, I'd totally pick up the Mechanicum one if I could.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Hencoe posted:

I kinda wish they offered those shirts outside of events, I'd totally pick up the Mechanicum one if I could.

Since I'm snagging stuff for other bros, I'd be happy to grab you a shirt as well. If you're interested, shoot me an email at breynolds38 at gmail dot com. And I might as well throw it out there, if anybody else wants event stuffs or more common items, hit me up before 5pm EST tomorrow and I'll try to work something out.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Throb Robinson posted:

My whole army theme is "Ultramarines slogging in thru the poo poo"

Mostly cause I was always keen on Ultras being like the WW2 Joe of Space marine and not so much the Glorious Standard of what a Space marine should be the fluff says.

Oh snap, I forgot! You're the guy with the insane Marine War Golem. Glad to see the army progressing, I have seen many, many armies start on websites and never get completed. Keep it going! :cmon:

Goonhams, unless your goal is to have desert dick until the day you die please so not buy warhams shirts. Please, don't. Unless you're already married to a saint or you intend to wear the shirt while doing yard work or to bed, please, please don't.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 15, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Goonhams, unless your goal is to have desert dick until the day you die please so not buy warhams shirts. Please, don't. Unless you're already married to a saint or you intend to wear the shirt while doing yard work or to bed, please, please don't.
I always wear my Catachan Training Corps shirt on first dates and I'm up to my neck in Deathworld ladies :human being:

Realtalk I actually do own that shirt, wear it on occasion, and am still a functioning human being. I think I have more shirts for fake military organizations than I do for bands at this point.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Sorry for the :shobon: posting, but I got to play my Tyranids today at my local comic shop, and I had a lot of fun with my fellow nerdlords. They basically taught me how to play the game and I learned that I really like twin-linked weaponry. My Carnifex got to :black101: a Dark Eldar transport, but he died shortly after from the squad inside. I think I'll have a lot of fun because the guys were pretty chill and candid about everything and gave me some great advice. I will say that my next purchases will be some synapse creatures because, while I luckily rolled Synaptic Lynchpin, I definitely might have had some trouble ganking poo poo with my flying Hive Tyrant as well as keeping the rest of my army in range had I not. List wise, I think I might put a little more focus into monstrous creatures just to keep the model count at a sane level, but I must confess that I was really enjoying throwing fistfuls of dice worth of devourer attacks at Dark Eldar units that were paroxysm'd, or anything that crossed my path in general.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Rayjenkins posted:

Sorry for the :shobon: posting, but I got to play my Tyranids today at my local comic shop, and I had a lot of fun with my fellow nerdlords. They basically taught me how to play the game and I learned that I really like twin-linked weaponry. My Carnifex got to :black101: a Dark Eldar transport, but he died shortly after from the squad inside. I think I'll have a lot of fun because the guys were pretty chill and candid about everything and gave me some great advice. I will say that my next purchases will be some synapse creatures because, while I luckily rolled Synaptic Lynchpin, I definitely might have had some trouble ganking poo poo with my flying Hive Tyrant as well as keeping the rest of my army in range had I not. List wise, I think I might put a little more focus into monstrous creatures just to keep the model count at a sane level, but I must confess that I was really enjoying throwing fistfuls of dice worth of devourer attacks at Dark Eldar units that were paroxysm'd, or anything that crossed my path in general.

Go full MC and 40mm+ base models and enjoy having 2k+ points in ~20 models and not having to spend 30 minutes completing your movement phase.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CapnAndy posted:

So, thanks for the interest, those of you who showed interest. Here's a quick picture of some PPDC (from Pacific Rim!) dice I made, just as an example.

I'm used to selling these things in pairs, since HeroClix is a 2d6 game, but I understand you guys use... lots of dice, all at once? How many dice would you want to buy in a set? If they're $5 a die (so $10 a pair, $25 for 5, etc.), does that kick the price point too high?

Also, what's a good roll for you guys, 1 or 6? I figure you want to see the logos when something good happens.

Something you could consider doing is custom scatter dice, of which a player only needs 3, rather than a bucket, making $5 a dice more affordable. It's basically 2 normal d6, plus a larger dice with 2 target icons and 4 arrows like so

Stylised versions of the three dice to suit armies might be a neat idea, since you're generally going to ebay to buy originals that resellers have broken out of the Dark Vengeance starter kit if you want them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a neat idea and the GW ones feel cheap. I'd like them to be heavy instead. Why? You're rolling those sons'a'bitches when you've fired high strength pie plates that have the potential to delete giant chunks of units. Might as well make it feel like the roll is significant.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I'm looking to get into Warhammer as a new player and trying to pick an army. I knew a bunch of people in college who played but I didn't have the time or money then. I played a couple small games with a friend's army and played a lot of Dawn of War though. I will be moving in a few months to a more populated area and I figure I can start collecting and painting now and find a group where I am going.

I read the OP and looked through the models and am particularly interested in three ranges: Chaos Daemons, Necrons and possibly Dark Eldar.

I want an army I can come up with fluff for, so I am a bit concerned: Are chaos daemons mindless or can I have a specific group with a story behind them? Similarly, I remember Necrons in Dawn of War being just mindless thralls of the C'tan that could barely talk, but it seems like they have characters and societies? As for the Dark Eldar... their S&M theme may be a bit too much for my tastes. I also don't much want to play something too popular, as much of a hipster as that may make me.

Gameplay-wise I would like a relatively small army with a few powerful models, preferably with interesting abilities. I like having some tricks and options open when I play. I also just like big flashy things.

Finally, if I am not really with a group of players yet, is there a recommended number of points I should look at making to start? Any answers before I go burn my paycheck would be much appreciated.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Hello, what area will you be located? We goons are always looking for more chill people to play with. Check out the goon map if you have not already. https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438

If you are looking for low model count then Chaos Daemons is almost correct. They can start off with a few big creatures who eat up most of the points but have multiple ways to pulling in more troops each turn. Daemons can be very characterful and feel free to make up whatever story you want for them.

Generally speaking Necrons and Dark Eldar are mostly transport based while Daemons just march. Daemons are probably closer to a low model army if you spend points on Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons, and their psyker shenanigans can be fun but not as consistent as you would hope. A good starting game can be 500 to 750. You won't have all the bells and whistles and some armies have it better at low points but you can get a game in on a 4'-x-4' and get a grasp of the rules.

Pick an army based on your aesthetic preference. You will be building, painting and looking at these models for a long time, make sure you like them and enjoy their narrative. All 3 you have picked are roughly all decent as far as competitive wise, though Dark Eldar and Necrons might get a book update by the end of the year. So far most new books have been nice side-grades with tighter rules and small updates to match other books but nothing earth shattering beyond a few exceptions.

Once you browse the GW store and look at all the units and maybe read a blurb or two about the fluff you should be able to make a decision which one you like most. Then we can help you make a decent core list.

edit:doh:

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 15, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Something you could consider doing is custom scatter dice, of which a player only needs 3, rather than a bucket, making $5 a dice more affordable. It's basically 2 normal d6, plus a larger dice with 2 target icons and 4 arrows like so

Stylised versions of the three dice to suit armies might be a neat idea, since you're generally going to ebay to buy originals that resellers have broken out of the Dark Vengeance starter kit if you want them.

If someone offered custom scatter die I'd be all over that honestly. Got plenty of normal d6's but no scatter die at all.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

This is a really good idea. A $5 custom scatter die is way more reasonable than basic d6's. A player only really needs one of the things and it'll be used constantly.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Pick an army based on your ascetic preference.
I really hope you meant "aesthetic preference." Otherwise things get a little weird. :v:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Spellcheck at work never feels the same...

In other news I am going to have to make some new markers for this new edition of 40k. I can tell 'Jink' markers will be needed much more now than in last edition. I probably don't need to cram so many copies of the psyker effects now that the psyker phase is so tough. If you guys can think of any markers that you would want I might be able to make it work. I will post a link to the pdf for easy printing at any fedex office or print shop.

I'm probably going to make most of the backgrounds for things like 'Gone 2 Ground' less cheeky and more generic, similar to the nebulas of my psyker abilities.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 15, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

^^ Please do share those tokens, I liked the 6th ones you made even though I never got a chance to make them for myself :)

I hope CapnAndy is still following the thread, because I dug that up from a couple pages ago after thinking of it this morning :ohdear:

MrAptronym posted:

I also don't much want to play something too popular, as much of a hipster as that may make me.

I was kind of the same! Good news is, as long as you pick something that isn't some kind of Space Marine army you'll be fine :v:

As for the difference in Necrons between Dawn of War and the tabletop that you noticed - they used to be like Dawn of War on the tabletop, implacable robit foe. then a writer called Matt Ward decided that was boring, and turned them into the weird and colourful themed dynasties you see today. Some people like the change, some people hate it, but it is what it is.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 15, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Rayjenkins posted:

Zoanthropes will be the first and best port of call for you then, with Synapse and being mastery level 2 psykers they're a good way to get more warp charges to play around with.
Venomthropes are equally good, but for entirely different reasons. No synapse, but they make a cover save bubble for your 'Nids to abuse and take less casualties while crossing the board.
An Exocrine is something that's definitely worth considering later on because you'll come up against Space Marines eventually, and it's among the only low-AP weaponry Tyranids have access to.

Pacheeco posted:

Go full MC and 40mm+ base models and enjoy having 2k+ points in ~20 models and not having to spend 30 minutes completing your movement phase.
This is exactly why I use 3-strong Warrior broods for my troops. gently caress 30min movement phases.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

HiveCommander posted:

This is exactly why I use 3-strong Warrior broods for my troops. gently caress 30min movement phases.

As someone who wants to do tyranids without hordes of little buggers, how does this work out for you? Keep them out of strength 8+ and hope for the best?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

As someone who wants to do tyranids without hordes of little buggers, how does this work out for you? Keep them out of strength 8+ and hope for the best?

I leave them mostly backfield or babysitting the midfield stuff, having them behind a wall of MCs along with a Venomthrope goes a long way to keeping them alive (cover from intervening MCs getting boosted from Shrouding makes their cover save pretty hard to get past for non-Tau or armies without Divination everywhere.

I usually keep them cheap, 3 Warriors with a Barbed Strangler for the large pie plate with solid range. Not as strong or able to punch through Fire Warrior armour like the Venom Cannon, but it does force a lot of saves on units.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Going down to my folks' place this weekend to game with ANAmal, Shadow Daishi, Ninja Panda, and a couple other friends. Super psyched about playing on the city table I've been working on, and playing a full-painted game against ANAmal's mans for the first time.

I had a little extra time this week so I whipped up some objectives for the board. These took about two hours total. Have three more in the works, but those aren't painted so they're staying home for now.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Rayjenkins posted:

Glad you had a good time! :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe just investing in Forgefiends with their Hades Autocannons would help with flyers. They are twin linked..

It's just so hard to deal with Necron Flyer spammy stuff. I kill everyhting else this they come on board and it's like "welp".

I need more options, how do you guys get such good ebay deals.

Also, it seems to be cheaper to buy Space Marines and then just convert to chaos. Question is what's a cheap model that I could use from the 40k and fantasy line to convert Maulefiends?

I was thinking Tyranid and then using plasticard and chaos icons to give it a "modern look". There are several that are on 4 legs.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tyrant-Guard

It really looks like I could convert these to maulerfiends pretty easily. They seem to stand upright a bit to much though.

This must be the figure you are talking about clockwork dragon

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/clockwork/latest/77177#detail/77177_p_1_mj

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 15, 2014

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I had the opportunity to meet the new manager of the GW store here. He doesn't know how to play any of the games, nor does he know anything about the fluff. :stonklol:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

I was thinking Tyranid and then using plasticard and chaos icons to give it a "modern look". There are several that are on 4 legs.

It really looks like I could convert these to maulerfiends pretty easily. They seem to stand upright a bit to much though.

...You know there's a size difference between a Maulerfiend and a Tyrant Guard, right? A Maulerfiend is something like eight times the size of the Tyrant Guard and comes on a large oval base, not a 40mm one.

Sykic posted:

I had the opportunity to meet the new manager of the GW store here. He doesn't know how to play any of the games, nor does he know anything about the fluff. :stonklol:

Apparently this is actually something they're doing intentionally so that they can sell kits without bias. They've had managers in the past tell people to stay away from buying products because they were not "good" in their opinion and want to avoid that. It's not exactly the smartest move, but ultimately if you are selling products you just need a salesperson. Leave it to the gamers in the store to spew a dissertation about the Codex Astartes or whatever.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 15, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Maybe just investing in Forgefiends with their Hades Autocannons would help with flyers. They are twin linked..

It's just so hard to deal with Necron Flyer spammy stuff. I kill everyhting else this they come on board and it's like "welp".

I need more options, how do you guys get such good ebay deals.

Also, it seems to be cheaper to buy Space Marines and then just convert to chaos. Question is what's a cheap model that I could use from the 40k and fantasy line to convert Maulefiends?

You'd be better off with autocannon havocs than forgefiends. A 5 man squad with 4 cannons is 60 points cheaper, not twin linked but twice the shots.

Heck If you're really sold on hades autocanons for anti air you may as well stick them on heldrakes... 5 points cheaper than the forge fiend and it's not snap shooting... still feels like a waste fo a heldrake but if you run unbound or multiple CAD you could probably do that

BUt basically flyer spam is probably the paper to your rock and trying to counter it is basically pissing in the wind. just be thankful that Tau and eldar are in the meta game so you don't see those necron lists all that often.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I wouldn't buy a car from someone who didn't know how to drive or what brand he was even selling.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God, GW is balls to the walls retarded sometimes.

It's like they will do absolutely anything they can to sell bad units, except for further research on why they are bad and how to make them not bad.

PLAYTESTING IS YOUR FRIEND!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

:confused: Forgefiends aren't twin-linked. They do get 8 shots though.

Hollismason posted:

Tyrant guards really aren't big enough to be used as counts-as maulerfiends. I don't know their exact base size, but they'd probably be about the same as a chaos spawn.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ignite Memories posted:

God, GW is balls to the walls retarded sometimes.

It's like they will do absolutely anything they can to sell bad units, except for further research on why they are bad and how to make them not bad.

PLAYTESTING IS YOUR FRIEND!

Speaking as someone that really likes the Dark Angel Flyers, being told I was retarded to buy one because 'its bad in the game' kind of annoys me because I'm never going to use it in a game so what do I care?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The solution is to wait a little longer on releasing the rules for these things until they are more certain they are not poo poo.

V Except then this person feels jilted for wasting their money on a product that has no hope to compete, and resolves to stop wasting money on it. V

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LingcodKilla posted:

I wouldn't buy a car from someone who didn't know how to drive or what brand he was even selling.

Like I said, I don't think it's the best plan, but the difference between a $30-100 toy and a $10,000+ vehicle are pretty significant. GW products are a niche gaming market and a vast majority of the people you'll encounter who are buying things know exactly what they want and why. The minority are looking to start out and will be sold on the starter set and/or will want to just buy models that are interesting to them. It is against the interest of the business to tell someone that no, they shouldn't buy more Ravenwing Bikers because Dark Angels are a bad codex. It's not like the person won't pick up things quickly when they're surrounding by the material 40ish hours a week.

• Locked thread