Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How do I get a job in the welfare sector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Join the Green Army

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also the bit about PPL being wound back to 50k is bullshit; they've put the whole policy on the backburner because they didn't have the numbers internally.

E: Not much said about a bunch of them claiming dodgy expenses either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's not global warming, it's global cooling!

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Lol - Hockey has come out and apologised for being a callous dickhead

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0815-3drpn.html

It was telling that neither Pyne or Abbott would back him on those comments

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
RIP Hockey, far too young.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
"The only Cabinet victim was Senator Arthur Sinodinos, now cooling his heels on the backbench pending the outcome of a corruption inquiry"

How many senators is a party expected to lose per year to corruption? (NSW state excepted :getin:)

Also hahaha: "And after Abbott’s relentless and highly successful efforts as a negative Opposition leader, the Greens and Labor are repaying him in kind."
Combined the Greens and Labor aren't even registering on the partisan abuse meter Abbott needed.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nibbles! posted:

CARBON TAX = LIES ELECTION NOW

BUDGET CUTS THAT WEREN'T GOING TO HAPPEN = yeah, that was an unwelcome surprise

The amount of major policies that the government are trying to implement that they never campaigned on, and in many cases explicitly disavowed from ever pursuing, are so great that Abbott's occasional claim that the government have a mandate is pretty close to absurd. If the carbon tax was enough to go to an election then the current situation gives even greater reason to do have one.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 15, 2014

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'd describe the current government as a used car salesman trying to sell us a lemon, but they don't think we drive cars.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Palmersaurus posted:

How do I get a job in the welfare sector?

The weird thing is, I've never heard of this Ellen Whinnett before now and somehow she's National Politics Editor for the Herald Sun. Maybe they only let the editor out when Bolt is having a sulk?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Amoeba102 posted:

I'd describe the current government as a used car salesman trying to sell us a lemon, but they don't think we drive cars.

:pusheen:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

ewe2 posted:

The weird thing is, I've never heard of this Ellen Whinnett before now and somehow she's National Politics Editor for the Herald Sun. Maybe they only let the editor out when Bolt is having a sulk?

I think "Editor" these days is like "Vice President" in US corporations. Or "Engineer" in IT businesses (drat - I went there).

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hockey's amazing. First he sounds completely out of touch with the realities of those living on low-incomes, acting stubborn, flustered and annoyed at the fact that people are apparently unable to deal with the facts of the case (even though the facts he cites are irrelevant to the question of the concrete burden a tax excise would have on individuals). Now he does an apologetic interview where he comes across as a pleading, simpering loser.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
And then to top it off:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

sidviscous posted:

I think "Editor" these days is like "Vice President" in US corporations. Or "Engineer" in IT businesses (drat - I went there).

I have noticed a strange trend that most people who have 'engineer' in their title aren't actually engineers, and actual engineers don't usually have 'engineer' in their title either, unless they're reasonably junior.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Joe hockey is the liberals Yilmaz.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Laserface posted:

Joe hockey is the liberals Yilmaz.

Stoooooooge

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

Hahah on the channel 7 news they mentioned that he drove out in a Holden statesman. They then show him turn on the windscreen wipers rather than the indicators and ask if perhaps he's more used to European cars.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Splode posted:

I have noticed a strange trend that most people who have 'engineer' in their title aren't actually engineers, and actual engineers don't usually have 'engineer' in their title either, unless they're reasonably junior.

This is kind of true actually. None of the engineers I know, myself included, have engineer in their job title. Huh, I never thought of that.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

If Hockey gets poo poo for this then it's basically going to result in Hockey yelling at the car company, then the company firing the driver.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

So to fill my brain in, he's handing stuff over to a valet to load in the boot, while a family watches on?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
While parked in a disabled space.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
I'd smoke a cigar with Joe "Big Boy" Hockey

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

nah you guys this is fine, Hockey and team tightened the disability pension, so now disabled people are poor and thus can't afford to drive cars to park in disabled spots, geeze stop feeding the mass hysteria he has a heart of gold!!!111

:suicide:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
You'd think at this point Joe would just accept that he's a Captain Planet villain and just own that fact.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

Hockey's amazing. First he sounds completely out of touch with the realities of those living on low-incomes, acting stubborn, flustered and annoyed at the fact that people are apparently unable to deal with the facts of the case (even though the facts he cites are irrelevant to the question of the concrete burden a tax excise would have on individuals). Now he does an apologetic interview where he comes across as a pleading, simpering loser.

It's a common trait of the authoritarian, who manages to be both superior and victim at the same time. Superior when they're sure they're on the winning side (of the argument, or numbers), victim when they can't have their way. It's the mindset of someone who believes that hierarchy determines worth, there's no humility but a great deal of resentment.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
joe hockey: literally getting called out for being an idiot by the guy from the hoon party who throws kangaroo poo poo at his mates on national tv

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

The disabled park even features more prominently in the video

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its just loving hilarious. before you even get to the point where you need to explain that the fuel excise operates as a flat tax and therefore is going to affect low income earners more, everything about his theory is flat out wrong. poor people live further from work, drive shittier cars, and use more fuel as a result.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

Its just loving hilarious. before you even get to the point where you need to explain that the fuel excise operates as a flat tax and therefore is going to affect low income earners more, everything about his theory is flat out wrong. poor people live further from work, drive shittier cars, and use more fuel as a result.

Not to mention the fact that poor areas are often shittily served by public transport.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Yeah, see, every time I hear from Ricky I like him more than ever. He's not a Green, so he doesn't come off all bourgeois like we usually do, instead coming off like a regular bloke, but yet he manages to say the right thing a lot of the time. Someone please tell me why him getting a Senate seat was a bad thing. :allears:

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Endman posted:

Yeah, see, every time I hear from Ricky I like him more than ever. He's not a Green, so he doesn't come off all bourgeois like we usually do, instead coming off like a regular bloke, but yet he manages to say the right thing a lot of the time. Someone please tell me why him getting a Senate seat was a bad thing. :allears:

im starting to think he has some value in knocking down the more deluded poo poo that the libs come out with (which is exactly the senate's role), but dont think he has the book-smarts to come up with good policy but it doesnt matter bc he's ind senator rather thna membr of govt

i think a lot of the hositlity came from the fact that he's got the balance of power and people were envisioning nightmare scenarios where he would pass the lib's bill to introduce mandatory sterilisation for poors, in exchange for making the speed limit in the nullabor 200km/h

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Endman posted:

A highly paid adviser wrote that for him

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Endman posted:

We all assumed he'd end up being a store for the LNP and/or PUP. And he may well be. He already voted for the repeal of the carbon tax (I think?) - who knows what else his inexperience, lack of intelligence and conservatism might lead him to do.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Even so, I don't think an entrenched, professional political elite is beneficial to a functional democracy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Plato's Republic was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
yeah but is it better or worse than your typical australian?

(hint: 80% of australians think that asylum seekers are treated properly, or not toughly enough)

• Locked thread