Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ularg posted:

I got a weird problem I'd like to ask you guys about. I brought this up in the P.T. thread. I love horror games, and I love horror sci-fi movies. Event Horizon, Dead Space, Amnesia, Outlast. I love the atmosphere, the story and most of all the mystery. This really became true in P.T. But my problem is that I just cannot handle the horror aspect at all. I just get too freaked out to continue playing the game. Haven't finished anything but Dead Space 2, despite owning all of the games I listed. I'm not sure how I can love horror games but be way too afraid of the horror.

I would love having this. Most of the time I try not to play too many horror games because I don't want to be desensitized to the genre. I worry if I go back to play old horror games that I enjoyed as a kid that "What if I'm not scared by it anymore and it ruins my memory of it?" Luckily, if I turn the lights off and play them only at night by myself, I can usually still get into it. I still had to stop and take a break from Silent Hill my last time going through it. Do you play these games with the lights on or off?

Eternal Darkness is a great atmospheric horror game that isn't scary at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The first few Silent Hills were also fortunate to have a really unique and off putting soundtrack that complimented the rusty dark aesthetic very well. Clanks and groans and bizarre animal sounds mixed in with baby screams. I remember that as well as the game itself.

Also the radio idea was genius.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ularg posted:

I'm 21, so that just makes it even more sad. :v:

I just generally feel uncomfortable with body horror and gore. But man oh man do I love really good atmosphere. Hell I'd love to work on creating a horror game one day. All of the small details placed in the environment and the audio.

Have you played Dishonored? Seems like a game you'd like.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I was thinking about my experiences with horror games the other day, and I still think that the Thief series has managed to scare me more intensely than almost every purpose-built horror game I've encountered.

In other news, I didn't know about the remake of Pathologic until I read this thread. I really loved that game, so I'm pretty excited!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

One thing I really liked about Pathologic is how the background music just gets so oppressive. I mean this is the sound you have following you when you're just casually strolling trough the town during day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eM90t9bKKA

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Alain Perdrix posted:

I was thinking about my experiences with horror games the other day, and I still think that the Thief series has managed to scare me more intensely than almost every purpose-built horror game I've encountered.
No kidding. The undead in Thief were loving terrifying, not in the least thanks to their amazing sound work. Although I guess it might have helped that I was like 15 when the game came out.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I would love having this. Most of the time I try not to play too many horror games because I don't want to be desensitized to the genre. I worry if I go back to play old horror games that I enjoyed as a kid that "What if I'm not scared by it anymore and it ruins my memory of it?" Luckily, if I turn the lights off and play them only at night by myself, I can usually still get into it. I still had to stop and take a break from Silent Hill my last time going through it. Do you play these games with the lights on or off?

Yup, I tried the first 30 minutes of Outlast with headphones too and quickly went "Nope, gently caress that"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Five Nights at Freddy's was pretty fantastic, played it myself for a bit and just watched someone FINALLY finish it, probably the first person to do so without cheating as well. He finally got his $120 and some overtime to boot. :haw:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

The Suffering is also a cool horror shooter. It's surprisingly a lot more subtle and atmospheric than you would think at first glance and it had some quality writing. (Dr. Killjoy is a fun villain) Stan Winston also did all the monster designs. I thought the sequel was poo poo though and the original works quite well as a standalone game so you can just ignore 2.

I'm a weirdo who enjoyed the sequel. The prison setting was more fun than drab cities and sewers but the villains were more fun. I genuinely liked The Creeper as a villain and putting Torque on trial at the end was a nice touch. The first game is still way better but the second one has its moments.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xoidanor posted:

One thing I really liked about Pathologic is how the background music just gets so oppressive. I mean this is the sound you have following you when you're just casually strolling trough the town during day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eM90t9bKKA
Well good news then, because the remake's music will be the same, or in the same vein - they're trying to get Andriesh on board. Not sure if Dybovsky was joking or half-joking when he said that originally he just wanted the music from Blade Runner for Pathologic, but they ended up putting a lot of thought into getting the soundtrack just right, and their current music guy isn't touching it for the remake.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Cardiovorax posted:

No kidding. The undead in Thief were loving terrifying, not in the least thanks to their amazing sound work. Although I guess it might have helped that I was like 15 when the game came out.

I was 15, too but I replay the series like once a year, and it still works on me :kiddo:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Any thoughts on Anna: Extended Edition? It's on sale on Steam for $2 right now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Brackhar posted:

I only saw an LP of what I believe was a demo, but it seemed terrible.

edit: no, wait, I'm thinking of Amy, I don't know what Anna is.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 14, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The OP has a bit on Anna.

quote:

I finally bought it because it was on Steam for $2. It's a story heavy horror adventure with some great concepts that just falls apart in the gameplay. It takes all the worst things about old adventure gaming logic and marries it with a painfully clunky interface. Even the Extended Edition, which was recently released and has improvements to the inventory and controls, is a chore to use. Still it has some good ideas buried in the mess, some uniquely done scares, and an overarching theme touching on women's roles in society throughout history. If you love working through difficult puzzles you might get something out of this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I've found that if a game scares you as a child, you will generally carry that fear as an adult. I'm looking at you, Termites in King's Field. Or Krakens in King's Field. Basically every single enemy in King's Field is terrifying to me, except the piranha plants, those just look goofy and make a goofy rear end sound.

I will also maintain a lifelong fear of the spiders in Thief 1 and 2. If I didn't know exactly how to avoid them, the spiders in Resident Evil 2 would also count despite their brief appearance.

I wanna meet the stone-cold motherfucker who does not freak out when first confronted by Crimson Heads in REmake.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 14, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brackhar posted:

I had a more positive experience with the game.

quote:

Anna is great. One of the few games that actually disturbed me. It basically takes the Sanity system from Eternal Darkness but it's actually scary because they don't telegraph when they'll happen. You'll turn around and notice that details you just examined aren't there anymore or that objects were moved around. Or maybe you'll hear breathing behind your back and turn around AND gently caress I ACTUALLY YELLED A LITTLE BIT. It is an obtuse game but seriously read the journal, it has some pretty obvious tips for most of the puzzles. The difficulty is knowing how the game wants you to work them but I was never confused as to where I was or what I should be working towards. There's only maybe a dozen "maps" in the game.

It is an obtuse game and I played with a guide in Steam overlay for some of the harder bits but it has a fantastic atmosphere and great scares. There's nothing that can kill you unlike Amnesia but I had a greater sense of fear overall because the game isn't afraid to make things happen behind your back.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
What would be the "correct" order to play through the Penumbra/Amnesia games?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They're not related, so you're really free to do it in any order you want. Penumbra goes Overture -> Black Plague. The Amnesia games have standalone plots so it's up to you.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Hmmm, play through Penumbra: Overture and then stop in that series, and play Amnesia: Dark Descent....and probably stop in that series. The second Penumbra was alright, but nothing amazing; and the third part of Penumbra is just stupid puzzles with no real story. And for Amnesia, the second one just removed game mechanics in lieu of a good story but they seemed to have left out the good story.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Play Overture > Black Plague > Amnesia: Dark Descent. Skip Penumbra: Requiem and Machine for Pigs cause Requiem is basically just a mediocre puzzle pack, while Machine for Pigs is Amnesia in name and reference only. The story is dumb as hell and all the gameplay has been completely scrapped; no puzzles, no light/sanity systems, pathetic monsters, nothing actually fun or scary, and it's only 2 hours long.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Does Amnesia: The Dark Decent have controller support on PC? And what are some of the really good music tracks. All this news lately has had me listen to the full Silent Hill theme finally and I just absolutely love it.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've found that if a game scares you as a child, you will generally carry that fear as an adult. I'm looking at you, Termites in King's Field. Or Krakens in King's Field. Basically every single enemy in King's Field is terrifying to me, except the piranha plants, those just look goofy and make a goofy rear end sound.

I will also maintain a lifelong fear of the spiders in Thief 1 and 2. If I didn't know exactly how to avoid them, the spiders in Resident Evil 2 would also count despite their brief appearance.

I wanna meet the stone-cold motherfucker who does not freak out when first confronted by Crimson Heads in REmake.

Mine carts in King's Field. Such PTSD.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ularg posted:

Does Amnesia: The Dark Decent have controller support on PC?

I don't think it does naturally, but I saw a mod for it. I have no idea how well it works though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardiovorax posted:

The undead in Quake, by comparison, sounded remarkably similar to the pug I had at the time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Justin_Brett posted:

So off the subject of Silent Hill, Five Nights at Freddy's came out. I've been watching a stream of it, and it seems pretty good, the kind of horror game meant to make you feel real dread.

I don't know if it's just the Very 90's pre-rendered CG, but that kind of reminds me of the Residents' games like Bad Day on the Midway and Freak Show. Or just any 90's experimental CG/FMV adventure game. And I'm not certain if the game would be better or worse if it were fully-3D environments with actual 3D in-engine models for the robots. It's certainly very original as far as jump-scare games go.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

King Vidiot posted:

It's certainly very original as far as jump-scare games go.

See people say this but I wouldn't really call Five Nights at Freddy's a jumpscare game, past maybe the first time or two it happens. You get a pop scare if you fail, but you'll usually see them coming and know you messed up before it happens, plus that's not where the meat of the horror comes from, which is frantically scrambling through your cameras trying to keep a handle on these nutty animatronics coming to wring your neck.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Ularg posted:

Does Amnesia: The Dark Decent have controller support on PC?

This is the scariest bit in this entire thread.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
If we're on the topic of not-scary games which scared the poo poo out of us, there's a level in Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven in which you have to make your way through a graveyard infested with a bunch of undead/spirits which really got me when I was younger. In itself it's not a terribly spooky concept, but the creature design felt like a bunch of grotesque woodcut art come to life, so you had a bunch of awful emaciated man-imp things and skinless samurai things making really freaky gurgling noises and chasing after you if you hosed up once. It also helped that these were very clearly things meant to be avoided: if you get caught in any other level you can mostly fight your way out unless you're outnumbered, but if any of the demons find you, you will probably die really quickly and with a lot more otherworldly grunting. I don't know if my brother still has his copy of it tucked away somewhere, but if I can ever find it again I'd be interested to see if it holds up, since I don't think watching an LP of someone snarking over it will be quite the same.

While I'm here: what are everyone's thoughts one Lone Survivor? I've played a decent amount of it but got too stressed out by running out of almost all my ammo and health items in the basement when the monsters learned they could jump on the ceiling, in addition to not wanting to accidentally run across the loving huge thing in the lobby after I've moved him downstairs, which is a pretty good sign of a horror game to me.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I enjoyed Lone Survivor, especially given the price I paid for it on a steam sale, but it felt like a game you really "stumbled through" rather than played.

To some degree it enhances the weird, surreal atmosphere to not know what's going on...but on the other you don't ever really feel like you know what you're doing except in the most immediate sense and other than unlocking a new area it's hard to feel like you're progressing rather than just stumbling from one object to the next. The vague messages the game gives you regarding your hunger, exhaustion and status also add to this feeling. Especially when you stuff your face and complain about being hungry again like five minutes later.

This was reinforced after I finished the game (getting the "bad" ending of course because I had little clue what the consequences for your actions were) and after investigating some guides I saw all these things that I could potentially have been doing which influence your score for good or ill.

I ended up just watching the other endings online, although I may end up replaying the game somewhere down the line for the "ride" to these other endings I think you're probably going to feel vaguely confused by all of them.

It's definitely a game that expects you to interpret it rather than offering any kind of true explanation or wrap up for all it's weirdness. Kind of a Silent Hill meets Mulholland Drive as told via tiny sprites.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed what I played of it, but I kept having this bug where the game would switch itself irreversibly to Hard mode after a while. Not the end of the world, but I kept getting lost, and every time I would try to bring up the map, the protagonist would go "Why? I know this building like the back of my hand" :smug:
The smuggest of broken games.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

See people say this but I wouldn't really call Five Nights at Freddy's a jumpscare game, past maybe the first time or two it happens. You get a pop scare if you fail, but you'll usually see them coming and know you messed up before it happens, plus that's not where the meat of the horror comes from, which is frantically scrambling through your cameras trying to keep a handle on these nutty animatronics coming to wring your neck.

Yeah, after having played a bit of the demo the real tension comes before the pop-up scare. The pop-up is startling but it's expected, and a real jump scare would be more like if the robots just flashed on your screen at random intervals while you're switching cameras with a loud noise but no real consequences.

I also like the supervisor calls. The game's definitely meant as "horror" but it's not taken totally seriously, which I guess reminds me a little of the tone of something like ILLBLEED in a good way.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yardbomb posted:

This sounds interesting and I didn't even hear about this game yet. Will give it a go soon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

King Vidiot posted:

I also like the supervisor calls. The game's definitely meant as "horror" but it's not taken totally seriously, which I guess reminds me a little of the tone of something like ILLBLEED in a good way.

Yeah, there's no way this game is to be actually taken seriously. For one, why the gently caress would anyone, after the first night in a murderous-animatronic-filled freakshow, return for there second to fifth nights on the job.

"Where're you going honey?"
"Back to work, babe. At Freddy's"
"But you came back from it last night terrified that the robots were going to murder you!"
"Someone's got to protect that lovely merchandise from vandals."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, there's no way this game is to be actually taken seriously. For one, why the gently caress would anyone, after the first night in a murderous-animatronic-filled freakshow, return for there second to fifth nights on the job.

"But you came back from it last night terrified that the robots were going to murder you!"

That and the very fact that they even hire security guards. They should've just let the robots be the night watch, they'd save even more money that way.

Warning: These premises protected by well-meaning but murderous robot animals. Turn back, be safe!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My roommate comes banging on my door at 9pm last night telling me I had to download the P.T. demo thing. I begrudgingly did and we finished it in about 2 hours of stumbling around.

Up until this point I never understood the appeal of playing horror games in groups, let alone the appeal of watching someone play a horror game whether in person or online but now I fully understand. Another friend came over and all three of us were immediately engrossed. Everyone's adding their personal comments, telling me to turn around slowly or not make sudden movements. Even when I start getting pissed off trying to trigger the baby laughs, just wandering around at random my friend is like "Don't move when Lisa/Lucy is groaning she'll possess you!" and I'm getting pissed off "She's not going to loving possess me, this game is scripted all this poo poo is loving scripted--" turn corner everybody yells "THERE SHE IS GET IN THE BATHROOM GET IN THE loving BATHROOM."

For a cheap promotion that's essentially walking around an endlessly looping hallway it turned into a fun evening. One of the guys really hates Kojima but he said "this is the best demo since the MGS2 disc that game with ZOE." My roommate is a casual gamer (besides a million hours in LoL) and he's saying "You're getting this, right? You're loving getting this?"

Bravo Konami/Kojima/del Toro/Sony whoever was responsible for this promotion. You got at least three dumbasses buying your game.

Morpheus posted:

Logic dictates after one night at the museum you'd ask to be a security guard elsewhere.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 15, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man. I really need to play that demo. My friends play horror games whenever we can, and that's right up our alley.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Weren't like 90% of the staff animatronics?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's the gameplay actually like? I have no idea what you do in that game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's basically Night Trap, except instead of trapping whatever you find on the camera feeds you just use the cameras to figure out where the animatronic animals are. They seem to wander around randomly until they get right outside your room, at which point they'll probably be trying to get in eminently. And when that moment comes, you need to start using the light switches to check if they're right outside and if they are, you just use the security lockdown doors to keep them out. Then they wander off aimlessly, rinse, repeat.

I heard that later on the game starts throwing wrenches into the works to trip you up, like doors that don't work and a fourth animal who will sprint straight for the security room if you ignore him too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cardiovorax posted:

You point and click on static cameras in order to keep track of where the robots are and seal the doors to your booth before they can get in. But you can't just keep the doors permanently closed because that drains a limited power supply, as does using the cameras.