Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Used to be with my friends that if I wasn't willing to Auction House snipe by staying up until 5 in the morning to out bid as soon as the item ends. That kind of soured my opinion of D3. I love the combat but my wrists would thank me if I swapped to a controller. I was also really awful at finding items on the AH that are good for me. Hell, I'm not very good at choosing gear that doesn't go "+x% damage" but man the combat is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Just ordered a PS4. Now I just need to go find a good game for it.

I was thinking InFamous: SS.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

IronSaber posted:

InFamous is a great choice. The Last of Us is also an absolute must buy. My suggestion is to grab a couple retail games you want and a PSN card for the online store. There are quite a few great cheaper games on there.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kilometers Davis posted:

InFamous is a great choice. The Last of Us is also an absolute must buy. My suggestion is to grab a couple retail games you want and a PSN card for the online store. There are quite a few great cheaper games on there.

Excellent. I really enjoyed the first two games, very excited about Second Son.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

IronSaber posted:

I'll also throw in a recommendation for Wolfenstein: The New Order. Very fun arcade-style FPS with a lot of run 'n gun gameplay.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

IronSaber posted:

Man here's the deal. Lots of people think the game is short and I won't lie, it kind of is, but it's pure fun. I loved the entire story and all of the side things were engaging enough to make me want to do everything in the game. Is it going to last you 50+ hours? Probably not. But what's there is a really solid game with minimal fluff. I loved the first two and thought this was a very logical and impressive step forward. The dlc/standalone expansion is coming out very soon so keep an eye out for that too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Infamous was my first real "next-gen" game on the PS4 (everything else was sports games or AC4) and it felt very next-gen. It was a cool introductory next-gen experience.

I would recommend it if you can rent it for a week or find it cheap because it is cool and fun and not especially challenging and you can plat it pretty easily.

I don't think it will hold up, and kind of hope it does not as devs figure out how to squeeze the system, but it's good and fun right now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
So, I finally took a swing at Rogue Legacy tonight and you guys who were talking about "just one more descendent" were right. After getting destroyed on the first run by a level 13 eye thing in the first room (welcome to Rogue Legacy!), I started to get into the swing of things. When I felt like a break, I looked up and realized 4 hours had passed and I had gone through 10 children. It's the Civilization of platformers.

Good game. Never even beat the castle boss either, just nailed the sub-boss. Next time.

Edit: On the other hand, Road Not Taken is a study in frustration. It is charming and can be pretty fun but the randomness of the puzzles and recipes can be frustrating. It does make for a fun game for group play with my wife because she likes the style and makes suggestions while watching.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 15, 2014

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

George of Super Bunnyhop on the dark future that streaming could usher in:

http://youtu.be/GeX38RD52-4

Yeah, I feel about the same way myself...

I have seen more strawmen while watching this video than in the countryside town where I live in all my life, but that's ok, everyone can console warrior, the right to be trolling (for ads impressions) on youtube is a constitutionally protected right. The thing that makes me perplexed however is the author seemingly thinking that everyone will be so stupid to mindlessly jump completely on PSNow, thus making it the default for everyone else, if there wasn't, you know, some sort of value you can get back from it by paying for renting games, and that PSNow would magically spell the end of the PC platforms where you can instead go and gameshark your games and inject 32x Anti Aliasing in glorious 120hz, like if the publishing police would take everyone's PC away to make them play on PSVita TV via PSNow.

e: maybe I should have read the first two replies, but who cares, I paid 10$ for this account and I am going to run this forum to the ground with my lovely posts :bahgawd:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

So, I finally took a swing at Rogue Legacy tonight and you guys who were talking about "just one more descendent" were right. After getting destroyed on the first run by a level 13 eye thing in the first room (welcome to Rogue Legacy!), I started to get into the swing of things. When I felt like a break, I looked up and realized 4 hours had passed and I had gone through 10 children. It's the Civilization of platformers.

Good game. Never even beat the castle boss either, just nailed the sub-boss. Next time.

Edit: On the other hand, Road Not Taken is a study in frustration. It is charming and can be pretty fun but the randomness of the puzzles and recipes can be frustrating. It does make for a fun game for group play with my wife because she likes the style and makes suggestions while watching.

There are a bunch of subbosses and they are randomly placed in all the areas like just buffer enemies with better drops. They will still spawn for descendants even if you beat them.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

cronox2 posted:

Ended up beating the game on child #15. I thought that trophy would be a lot harder but it was way more fun than I expected and the remix boss fights basically made you learn all of their patterns.

The only two trophies I need are Thanato... and the one for beating the Brothers. I have the one for Mocking, and I have a recording of me beating the Brothers... but no trophy for it. The idea of facing all 5 superbosses again makes me sad.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
Sooo I was pretty decided on buying Diablo for PS4. Was thinking that it is a game I like to play every now and then in the middle of stuff, so digital would be nice. Went to EU store, saw the price was 70 euros.

The gently caress? Brick and mortar stores here have been pricing Diablo a bit cheaper than most new AAA stuff, but no, the digital costs over 90 bucks. I like you Blizzard, but not that much.

This is made all the more irritating by the fact that the PS3 version of UE is just 40 euros, a bit shy of half the price. Thought about just getting it from the US store, but then I realized I'm not so starved for games on PS4 any longer. Just skipping it now.

Also, Hohokum: I'm someone who is generally is interested in artsy games AND the music is the kind of stuff I listen to all day, but even I would have hard time recommending this. A few of the worlds (such as the wedding) have been insanely delightful, but the time between them has been mostly pretty uninteresting.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Follow That Fish! posted:

Sooo I was pretty decided on buying Diablo for PS4. Was thinking that it is a game I like to play every now and then in the middle of stuff, so digital would be nice. Went to EU store, saw the price was 70 euros.

The gently caress? Brick and mortar stores here have been pricing Diablo a bit cheaper than most new AAA stuff, but no, the digital costs over 90 bucks. I like you Blizzard, but not that much.

This is made all the more irritating by the fact that the PS3 version of UE is just 40 euros, a bit shy of half the price. Thought about just getting it from the US store, but then I realized I'm not so starved for games on PS4 any longer. Just skipping it now.

I think it's the publishers bending us over on digital prices. Destiny standard is 707 SEK, Digital Guardian 909 SEK, to get the standard Destiny in an expensive physical store in a city where people are used to being boned is 699 SEK, to get it online in next-day delivery it's 599 SEK.

PSN price for Sony's TLOU Remastered? 409 SEK. (44€ / $59 US)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

Used to be with my friends that if I wasn't willing to Auction House snipe by staying up until 5 in the morning to out bid as soon as the item ends. That kind of soured my opinion of D3. I love the combat but my wrists would thank me if I swapped to a controller. I was also really awful at finding items on the AH that are good for me. Hell, I'm not very good at choosing gear that doesn't go "+x% damage" but man the combat is fun.

My experience with the AH was just blowing gold on whatever random poo poo, because I could always find something for like 200 gold that was better than any of the garbage that I would actually find in the game. I'm looking forward to playing it again without the worst loot system that has ever existed in any game ever and some new content, because the core game is fun.

They just hosed up so bad on the original release though. I can't believe I'm giving them another chance but gently caress it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

NESguerilla posted:

My experience with the AH was just blowing gold on whatever random poo poo, because I could always find something for like 200 gold that was better than any of the garbage that I would actually find in the game. I'm looking forward to playing it again without the worst loot system that has ever existed in any game ever and some new content, because the core game is fun.

They just hosed up so bad on the original release though. I can't believe I'm giving them another chance but gently caress it.

I'm just really bad with Diablo 3 when it comes to finding upgrades into the late game. It's like you have to have all resist and one kind of resist and you need your primary damage stat but you can't have too little health and oh no your build isn't approved.

This is why Destiny is really appealing. The equipment system is really simplified and focuses more on just having up to date gear and you being able to shoot. I'm just crap at math.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair Diablo has been outdated since Borderlands released, but there is just something fun about exploding gore all over the place in a 3d isometric view.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Yeah. I played PT for about 2 mins. Nope nope nope.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Looks like D3 UEE might have been leaked in Europe, a bunch of people are streaming foreign language versions on Twitch right now.

davecrazy posted:

Yeah. I played PT for about 2 mins. Nope nope nope.

I'd read up on P.T. a little before playing it, and it was still one of the most unnerving experiences I've had playing a game. It's pretty amazing how much atmosphere they managed to fit into a single corridor and a bathroom.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

PSNow lets people who don't have a PS3 access its games on other platforms. They're planning on bringing it to TVs and mobile devices as well, so if you can play games on one of those with just a controller and a fast internet connection, then it would let new people try them out.

There's no point in selling your PS3 collection and expecting this to be a good replacement, or thinking that they owe you free lifetime access for a service that didn't exist when you bought them, especially with how expensive it is to run the servers. I won't use PSNow myself, since I've still got my PS3 hooked up, but I want to see what difference it will make once people without powerful PCs or dedicated games consoles can play games more complex than Peggle. I still prefer the quality and reliability of Blu-ray over streaming services, especially since my internet connection isn't good, but I'm not upset that people are able to watch films online.

Even if the PS3 and its games are getting much cheaper, it's still an ordeal to get a lot of games up and running. Downloading, installing and patching a game can take hours, but all this has been done already on the PSNow servers, so you could start Metal Gear Solid 4 as soon as you buy it, without waiting for a 500MB patch and 10GB installation. Gran Turismo 5 and 6 are even worse than this.

If Sony really did release a game that could only be streamed, they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot the same way Microsoft tried when they announced the Xbox One DRM. Besides, video compression would prevent it from looking that much better than a home console version.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

MrLonghair posted:

I think it's the publishers bending us over on digital prices.

Yeah, it's possible. Sony has had the sense to price some of its own digital titles cheaper than the norm. TLOU and The Show have been available on digital with reasonable prices.

Don't really know what could be done about the absurd digital pricing in EU besides just circumventing the problem by buying from US store. I'm debating changing my Destiny preorder from Gamestop to digital because it is a game I know I will want to keep. For most titles losing the ability to trade them in at some point and still paying as much (or more as in Diablo...) makes absolutely no sense from a customer standpoint. Not needing the disc is convenient, but not worth losing 30+ euros in resale value.

At these prices I'm actually thankful for having a Gamestop at the town. If nothing else, you can usually trade in two games for roughly the price of a new one. Way better than what the PS Store is offering.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

IronSaber posted:

That's pretty good for games out, along with Wolfenstein. For a future release Bloodborne isn't a bad choice.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

There are a bunch of subbosses and they are randomly placed in all the areas like just buffer enemies with better drops. They will still spawn for descendants even if you beat them.

I figured since I ran into him again. It's the little victories though.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Canadian PS4 Goons! The Playstation Gold Headset is on for 60 dollars at Futureshop and Bestbuy. Please dont rush out and scoop all of them up in west Edmonton!

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I'm ready for share play so someone can beat these loving follow missions on Black Flag for me. Is that all the story missions are? I just finished breaking through the blockade and I think 4 out of 5 of the missions before that were follow/listen to conversation missions. Is the last half of the game the same?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Skeematic posted:

Canadian PS4 Goons! The Playstation Gold Headset is on for 60 dollars at Futureshop and Bestbuy. Please dont rush out and scoop all of them up in west Edmonton!

Do these headsets work for PC as well?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there any hope/chance I will eventually have access to the PSN store things I bought on the PS3? I know PSNow is all about the streaming and renting services, but there are a bunch of PS1 games I bought on the PS3 and now I don't have access to them with the new system.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

more like dICK posted:

Do these headsets work for PC as well?

Yes, they have a little USB device that it communicates with that you can plug into whatever. Dunno if the Gold has the same limitation as the Pulse Elite where it's just stereo headphones + mic on non-PS3/PS4 but I wouldn't be surprised.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there any hope/chance I will eventually have access to the PSN store things I bought on the PS3? I know PSNow is all about the streaming and renting services, but there are a bunch of PS1 games I bought on the PS3 and now I don't have access to them with the new system.

It's possible but we don't yet know what their end game is with the PS1 and PS2 classics. Those systems are more likely to get an emulation solution than a streaming one, but we honestly don't know either way.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Awesome! Probably going to pick up a pair for PS4 and my PC.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Argas posted:

Yes, they have a little USB device that it communicates with that you can plug into whatever. Dunno if the Gold has the same limitation as the Pulse Elite where it's just stereo headphones + mic on non-PS3/PS4 but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, I use the Gold headset on PC. I think it may be "just" stereo, but it sounds pretty drat good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah you lose the surround sound features and profiles and such when connecting directly to an aux cable or PC I believe

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DarkJC posted:

Yeah, I use the Gold headset on PC. I think it may be "just" stereo, but it sounds pretty drat good.

It's not bad by any means but worth noting because it's incredibly misleading if you wanted a surround sound headset that works on multiple devices.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone with a big head use the gold headset? How comfortable is it?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Do you remember the 60 minutes limitation on Share Play? Apparently according to Eurogamer that's not a too terrible limitation, you have to invite your friend and play with him 60 minutes per session, then the system disconnects your friend and you have to re-invite your friend to your session. Still I can't see a good title to use it outside Towerfall, Mercenary Kings or even Cod's split-screen PVP.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is PSN down for anybody else? I haven't been able to do anything online since yesterday and I really want to do my Spelunky daily challenge. The website is kinda vague about it...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Malt posted:

I find it to be very comfortable. Not on par with my studio headphones but more comfortable than the Logitech gaming headset I use on PC. I have a pretty average-sized head.

I used them for PT. It was intense.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Malt posted:

I think my head is on the larger side and they are pretty drat comfortable. New Era fitted cap size is 7 5/8 if that gives you an idea of size.

I have always hated headphones that were big and bulky like that but they are really pretty light weight and the plastic/foam that goes around and makes contact with your head is very soft. I've worn them for 4 hours without any annoyance and for me that is really something that I can't normally do.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
loving christ I didn't know the ghost could kill you in PT. I restarted the game at my last save point (last level puzzle with the giggling baby) trying to get the ending, was wearing my ear plug and holy gently caress I think I need to clean the couch now.

God drat.

For the gold headset, I have a big head, and it fit pretty well. I wasn't really that fond of it though, since my ps4 is in the living room and I have a surround sound system plugged in anyway. Basically I was just making it incredibly hard to tell when my phone was ringing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 15, 2014

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Malt posted:

They're also comfy for glasses wearers. I used earbuds for the longest time because any over-ear headphones would push the arms of my glasses into my head and would get unwearable after about 20 minutes. I've worn the golds long enough in one session to almost run the battery out and they never bothered me. The only bad thing is that they make my ears sweat a little but it's a fair tradeoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I have never found a (baseball) cap that fit me in my entire not-a-small-child life, hat-measurement around the head is 24.5", and boy do I want to try the gold headset on to see how it is. I have the need for a wireless quality one.

• Locked thread