Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Brief Universal Chat: Holy poo poo, is Escape from Gringotts an awesome ride. I actually found it to be worth the wait, which was nuts. The extended queue was so big they had people selling bottles of juice and water and even sandwiches like it was a baseball game.

Sorry to quote this old rear end post, but how long did you wait? Has anyone else in this thread gone recently and can report on the waiting time? Reports of 5 hours are scaring me. More generally, I'm heading into both Universal Studios parks tomorrow and want hit up ALL the Harry Potter stuff I can - any tips to make that seamless would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Sorry to quote this old rear end post, but how long did you wait? Has anyone else in this thread gone recently and can report on the waiting time? Reports of 5 hours are scaring me. More generally, I'm heading into both Universal Studios parks tomorrow and want hit up ALL the Harry Potter stuff I can - any tips to make that seamless would be greatly appreciated.

I waited 2.5 hours or so. With the new ride, that's on the low side of wait times (the day I rode, when I arrived, it was at 5 hours, but I think that was factoring in the downtime they know they are having. The ride is still working out it's kinks)

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I'm heading over Wednesday to probably ride but I've got some rerides. Apparently they posted a 60 minute wait the other day.

It definitely hasn't been the juggernaut they expected. I just hope we don't get stuck at the drop again. It was awful.

[Halloween Horror Nights just announced an Aliens versus Predator house. I'm getting excited for this year]

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I can try to see what's available for you if you send me a pm.

Thanks! PM sent.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Cais posted:

I'm heading over Wednesday to probably ride but I've got some rerides. Apparently they posted a 60 minute wait the other day.

It definitely hasn't been the juggernaut they expected. I just hope we don't get stuck at the drop again. It was awful.

[quote="Cais" post="433118622"]

I steered clear of the coaster because of this. Being stuck on a roller coaster isn't my worst nightmare but it's up there.

I don't mind though - all the other Harry Potter stuff rocks. Being able to see Hogsmeade AND Diagon Alley was great - worth the price of the Park Hopper. The one non-ride I'd recommend over everything is the Earl Grey and Lavender ice cream from Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream shop. It was 6 bucks in a waffle cone and I started tearing up when I ate it (I was a little drunk, overwhelmed with nostalgia, and it was loving hot outside though)

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I have a question about the 4-Day Ticket Military Promotion.

I'm heading to Disney World in January. My dad is military, but wont be with us. Would he be able to purchase and activate the tickets for us this fall without us being present? He has a business trip coming up in a couple months and will be about 30 minutes from Disney.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I have a question about Labor Day crowds. Would a Disney trip over that weekend be a terrible idea? My husband and I (no kids) probably would stay at Shades of Green since he's still active military and they have a $95 per night rate plus the $169 4 day park hopper promo.

We probably would do a mix of Disney and non-Disney dining since we have to be fairly budget conscious.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I have a question about Labor Day crowds. Would a Disney trip over that weekend be a terrible idea? My husband and I (no kids) probably would stay at Shades of Green since he's still active military and they have a $95 per night rate plus the $169 4 day park hopper promo.

We probably would do a mix of Disney and non-Disney dining since we have to be fairly budget conscious.

Any holiday is typically busy but not as bad as what you would get on a Christmas, New Year's or Independence Day. Expect it to be pretty busy though plus it is still hot as hell here.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Since you're on a budget I suggest looking at http://shadesofgreen.org/2014sept.htm and calculating what you'd save based on rank (or if you would).

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
We actually wound up deciding to rent a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN. It's a little bit closer and we'll spend less money in a few days than we would at Disney.

But...we will be Florida residents very soon, so I know we will be going to Disney in the not-so-distant future, regardless. We probably will become annual passholders if we wind up living in the Orlando area. :)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So after Michael Jackson died, they brought back Captain EO.

They best be bringing back the Timekeeper.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

So after Michael Jackson died, they brought back Captain EO.

They best be bringing back the Timekeeper.

I used to love that attraction. I wish there was somewhere to put it back into the park. It used to occupy the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Doronin posted:

I used to love that attraction. I wish there was somewhere to put it back into the park. It used to occupy the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.

I only got to see Timekeeper once, and it wouldn't exactly be easy to get it running again.

On the other hand, there's the original Magic of Disney Animation introductory film...

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

We landed in Orlando today. Lots of construction in downtown Disney. Headed to Magic Kingdom tomorrow. Big budget pm me your name and I'll talk you when I'm hit with a survey.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Mykkel posted:

We landed in Orlando today. Lots of construction in downtown Disney. Headed to Magic Kingdom tomorrow. Big budget pm me your name and I'll talk you when I'm hit with a survey.

He's the best cast member on that side of the park! After I got off the ride and was so sick I was about to vomit, he led me to the nearest trash receptacle and shoved my head into it saving my life. Thanks BBS!

Seriously though, last time we were at the park and saw you working we stopped at Guest Services on the way out and commented how you made our vacation because of something something. Do they even tell the cast members anymore or do they just smile and toss them after we leave? They did give us a receipt for an ice cream bar for some odd reason.. maybe they felt bad for me.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Guest relations still brings them by the attraction eventually. Same with positives sent to guest.services@disneyworld.com. They'll eventually make it back to the area though it could take some time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

demonR6 posted:

He's the best cast member on that side of the park! After I got off the ride and was so sick I was about to vomit, he led me to the nearest trash receptacle and shoved my head into it saving my life. Thanks BBS!

Seriously though, last time we were at the park and saw you working we stopped at Guest Services on the way out and commented how you made our vacation because of something something. Do they even tell the cast members anymore or do they just smile and toss them after we leave? They did give us a receipt for an ice cream bar for some odd reason.. maybe they felt bad for me.

Someone went to City Hall once in MK and told them I made their vacation extra special because of something I did with Vinylmations and they gave me a card a day or two later.

I still have it somewhere. It was nice.

E. Fixed a typo on Card. I wish Disney would have given me a car though.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Skeezy posted:

Someone went to City Hall once in MK and told them I made their vacation extra special because of something I did with Vinylmations and they gave me a card a day or two later.

I still have it somewhere. It was nice.

E. Fixed a typo on Card. I wish Disney would have given me a car though.

Now that I know those things are for real and actually benefit the CMs, I'm going to start filling them out regularly.

Since the name tags only have a first name, how do you properly refer to a CM to make sure they get recognized later? Just that name and whatever attraction it was?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Nametags have cities too, which always help.

Especially for attractions, about where they were at helps too. They can pull up everyone who was at greeter that day fairly easily and bam.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Always make sure to praise Chris from Orlando, FL. That's the cast member who gets the most complaints from guests.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Depends on the situation. They make a quiet note of it and if it's really big and bold, they let us know. Applause-o-Grams are what I think they call those ones. I've not gotten one yet, but I do try to make guests vacation better with each interaction. I work at a low key attraction and get a lot of time to interact, so I try to make it count, not for my sake, but because folks shelling out thousands of dollars to have a good time should have a pretty good time.

Chris from Orlando gets around, let me tell you.

Oh, is anyone going to the ticketed version of Villains Unleashed. I am. and they are having the first ever Marvel characters meeting at the Florida parks there. Star Lord and Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy will be showing up, along side FIFTY villain characters. I am stoked. and thankful it's a hard ticket event so it's not a clusterfuck.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Yes my family and me will be there. We're pretty psyched. We will be dressed as pirates!

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Chris from Orlando gets around, let me tell you.

I'd like to hear more about this Chris from Orlando :munch:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Oh, is anyone going to the ticketed version of Villains Unleashed. I am. and they are having the first ever Marvel characters meeting at the Florida parks there. Star Lord and Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy will be showing up, along side FIFTY villain characters. I am stoked. and thankful it's a hard ticket event so it's not a clusterfuck.

I wanted to go to that so badly, but I have to work. High school football kicks off in Florida and our game is televised, so I'm stuck. Although I had no idea Star Lord and Gamora were going to be there. I'm curious how Konstantin from Muppets is going to be one of the meet and greets.

Cais posted:

Nametags have cities too, which always help.

Especially for attractions, about where they were at helps too. They can pull up everyone who was at greeter that day fairly easily and bam.

Ah, good deal. I forgot about the cities/countries on the tags. Thanks!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The Constantine meet is um. Well. I wish I was going just for that.

I got to meet Barbossa the other day when he was meeting at the legend of captain jack sparrow. He'll be at the party too, along with folks like Gantu and oogie boogie. With it being a hard ticket event it hopefully shouldn't be too crazy.

If anyone is driving, they're closing the satellite entrance (the one coming from the rest of property with only two lanes) at about 3 or so.

I was working until 715 but got switched to the 11 pm shift so I'll be answering guest emails instead of meeting villains with you all. Maybe I'll sneak out to watch the fireworks.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Oh man.... I wish I could go. I hope there will be lots of video and pictures.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

I'd like to hear more about this Chris from Orlando :munch:

Chris from Orlando is more often than not a) not actually from Orlando and b) not actually named Chris. This could be for many reasons.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I've heard the Disney has free Wi-Fi? Does this include all the hotels? The parks? Trying to decide if I should get a US SIM for my visit.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Tunga posted:

So I've heard the Disney has free Wi-Fi? Does this include all the hotels? The parks? Trying to decide if I should get a US SIM for my visit.

The parks have it now (with varying levels of quality) and the hotels have it as well (although its not very good wi-fi because they'd rather you not be sitting in your hotel)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

Quality is okay, much better than it was on initial soft roll out. You won't get coverage inside rides which seems to astonish some guests. We were deep in the queue at Pirates and this couple in front of us was complaining ad nauseum. I finally said "you realize the WiFi is outside right? We can't even get cell coverage in here.." The lady grunted at me and quit then I looked at my wife and said loud enough to hear "good lord people are so damned dense." while she pinches me to be quiet and gives me the stink eye.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I'm booking a trip for Jan 2015, and a number of the value and mid-tier resorts say that they are undergoing refurbishment. Anyone know whether this will be complete by Jan 2015 and/or to what extent it might impact our experience?

Art of Animation doesn't seem to be affected though, so I guess that's an option.

edit: Oh. There is a link explaining. I'm super dumb. Ignore please.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 18, 2014

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Picked a bad week to come down with it being the hottest days of the year and the hella high humidity. The up side is our boss took us out to dinner to LeCellier. Those Farmhouse Poutine are awesome.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bah this is just another beautiful day in paradise. At least we are not facing torrential downpours, floods, tornadoes and wildfires at the moment.. ooh and earthquakes & riots.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Florida is hot in August

This, and more, at 11

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Roar posted:

Florida is hot in August

This, and more, at 11

Surprisingly it hasn't been the suck the breath out of your lungs type of hot. Just hot, must be low humidity.

Really surprised how tore up downtown disney is, what's the word on how long that's going to take?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No, this has been a milder summer with less of the open the oven door and melt your face off heat. Also it has been wetter than I recall. Downtown Disney will be down for a few years still.. lots going on with an eventual rail transport to the airport and all sorts of things.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tomapot posted:

Surprisingly it hasn't been the suck the breath out of your lungs type of hot. Just hot, must be low humidity.

Really surprised how tore up downtown disney is, what's the word on how long that's going to take?

There was a story on the news yesterday about how they are renaming it and completely redoing the whole thing.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news.htm

To be completed in 2016.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

What is accessibility like in Downtown? Going in 4 weeks with my brother and his gf and thought we would pop around and eat/shop unless its a nightmare...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crazyweasel posted:

What is accessibility like in Downtown? Going in 4 weeks with my brother and his gf and thought we would pop around and eat/shop unless its a nightmare...

Downtown where? Disney? Orlando? Winter Park? Celebration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Accessibility seems okay. It's just congested. Feels like one of the parks, because everyone is funneled to the same sidewalk.