Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

TheRam posted:

Hey Wii U friends, I played that One Piece game a bunch and then made a video reviewing it.

Here is the link to said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57Hp9GqwwU.

Neat! Maybe need an epilepsy warning because of whatever the hell was going on with those clips at the beginning. Overall I think you did a good summary of the game, though I'd recommend it more than you because the characters are fantastic, plus Colosseum Mode and New Game Plus are worthwhile content. I agree it would have been better if the story mode was longer though. And like you said having to bring up the map instead of just having it displayed on screen was very annoying. Still overall I think people should pick up One Piece Unlimited World Red if they're interested in it.

Also, I think you could have spent more time on the Colosseum mode, but you did a good job covering a lot of content without being long-winded. Do you do reviews like this often?

ChaosArgate posted:

Punch Out Wii is an absolutely fantastic title and I wish it were recommended more for people looking to get into the Wii library. :(

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thread OP could probably do with a general "what's worth hunting down" list of Wii games, considering the question comes up often enough.

You are both incredibly correct. Punch Out Wii is great fun and everyone who hasn't played it should go get it now, especially since it's dropped in price.

And if we ever do get that new thread up having a list of recommended Wii games would be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TheRam posted:

Hey Wii U friends, I played that One Piece game a bunch and then made a video reviewing it.

Here is the link to said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57Hp9GqwwU.

Also does anyone know aside from Hyrule Warriors coming out a week early if there is anything to be excited for as an EU owner? No Shovel Knight until later and also no Toad minigame the game coming later is pretty :smith:.

I own Shovel Knight (sitting on my WiiU homescreen) and still haven't played it :cool:

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Is Last Story any good? I liked xenoblade, it was really awesome and rare and now it's $30 on amazon.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

CatsPajamas posted:

Neat! Maybe need an epilepsy warning because of whatever the hell was going on with those clips at the beginning. Overall I think you did a good summary of the game, though I'd recommend it more than you because the characters are fantastic, plus Colosseum Mode and New Game Plus are worthwhile content. I agree it would have been better if the story mode was longer though. And like you said having to bring up the map instead of just having it displayed on screen was very annoying. Still overall I think people should pick up One Piece Unlimited World Red if they're interested in it.

Also, I think you could have spent more time on the Colosseum mode, but you did a good job covering a lot of content without being long-winded. Do you do reviews like this often?

I know the epilepsy thing came out of no-where and I couldn't think what caused it since earlier renders did the mismatched resolution stuff fine (assuming the video quality was what caused it to freak out).
The Coliseum mode I think was decent, as it was just bossmode and the bosses (and cutscenes surrounding them) were the highlight of my experience. When I beat the main line I was interested in doing New Game +. When I started it the introduction of new bosses was good, but the problem I had was the general fighting got fairly boring for me, enemies took too long to kill and too many of the characters (3 or 4) didn't feel like they were on par with the others, I never felt the non-boss combat was a skillful thing so I burned out (bosses on the other hand got haaaard).

I could have endorsed it a bit more without regretting it, but at the same time a lot of the little things about the game really did sully the experience for me. The main line was great, I won't disagree - but by the time New Game + rolls around I was tired of how underdeveloped and seemingly inconsequential some things were, so I didn't feel compelled to do them. I want to feel compelled to do little things, it really adds to that feeling of being in love with a game world. Taken as a whole package the game was kind of a swing and a miss in a lot of ways, and so for people who aren't fans of the genre specifically I think I've gotta stand by 50-75% off being a good price point.

It's my third Wii U review, I'm in the infancy stages and I'm pretty serious about seeing it through and developing it because all of my housemates bond over the games, I'm unemployed and I'm in my final year of a degree and I reckon it might just stop me bouncing off the walls when Uni gets stressful. The creative stuff is soothing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bonobos posted:

Is Last Story any good? I liked xenoblade, it was really awesome and rare and now it's $30 on amazon.

Yes Last Story is great. It's a totally different beast from Xenoblade - much shorter and mostly linear. But it's fun and has a good story and likeable characters many of whom just want to hang out in a bar and get drunk.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

I own Shovel Knight (sitting on my WiiU homescreen) and still haven't played it :cool:

You monster.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bonobos posted:

If you reach a part in the story where you're given the option to cop a feel then take it. Trust me this makes sense in context.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 15, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alteisen posted:

I really, really want Beetle Adventure Racing on the VC.

Is this even possible at this point? I'm guessing getting the VW license again would be the issue.

I still firmly believe that I was the first person to ever find that alien stuff you could get to by flying off the broken bridge part of the one track. Actually in my head I'm the only one.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I know the NSMB "wah" talk was last page, but as much as I hate it... I like getting Baby Yoshi in the dessert world and seeing him sing the "waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" that shows up in those levels. That wah isn't as bad as the rest of them. He just looks so cute as he sings with his mouth wide open.

I still remember when they first revealed a picture of the world map, and some thread on this forum kept showing screenshots of the first baby Yoshi, looking like the smuggest Yoshi ever. I'm surprised we didn't get some kind of :smugyoshi: emoticon.

Also I love that the world map goes all over and connects in weird places. I hated that the NSMB games started off pretty much as a straight line (3D Land, too)... so boring.

I'm really feeling regret for not getting the Wii U Pro controller when it was $30 at Best Buy recently. I want to make sure I have 1 or 2 of them for when Smash comes out, and also for playing MK8 with friends, not forcing someone on the Wii remote. But I had to decide to be smart with money, figuring there would probably be another good deal this year as well (I'm pretty sure I recall there was a $20 Wii U Pro controller before I got my Wii U, but am not sure).

Kilometers Davis posted:

I still firmly believe that I was the first person to ever find that alien stuff you could get to by flying off the broken bridge part of the one track. Actually in my head I'm the only one.
I got that without knowing about it, and was confused as Hell. I really miss that game. I've played it once every 2-3 years since the GC came out, though. (unrelated, this reminds me that I really want to play Ogre Battle 64 again some day....)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bonobos posted:

It's a way more self-contained story than most grand sweeping save-the-world RPGs, but it still leaves room for character development and the gameplay's pretty fun. You can also play it in auto-attack mode sort of like Xenoblade, or push-button-swing-sword mode.

If you like RPGs than absolutely get it, plus $30 so you can't go wrong.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bonobos posted:

I really like it. Gameplay is fun and unique, and the game is short and quite well-paced - it'll take you around 20-25 hours, which ends up feeling like a really good length for it.

Plot is okay, characters vary. The two main characters are kinda boring but they have one or two scenes that work really well, and the side characters are pretty cool.

You can also shoot banana peels at people with a crossbow and trip them which is really a huge feather in its cap.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I bought a Wii U Mario Kart 8 premium bundle 2 days ago and am curious about the 'free game promotion'.

According to step 3 of the 'How to Claim' page here: http://gamesites.nintendo.com.au/mk8_bonus/how.html I have to 'Log in to Club Nintendo 48 hours later and click the Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion banner to proceed.'.

Will the banner magically appear once the 48 hours have passed? I am aware the promotion has ended but I believe there is a grace period that we're still in.

Edit: I registered the Club Nintendo PIN for MK8 two days ago.

I would appreciate any advice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

neurotech posted:

I bought a Wii U Mario Kart 8 premium bundle 2 days ago and am curious about the 'free game promotion'.

According to step 3 of the 'How to Claim' page here: http://gamesites.nintendo.com.au/mk8_bonus/how.html I have to 'Log in to Club Nintendo 48 hours later and click the Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion banner to proceed.'.

Will the banner magically appear once the 48 hours have passed? I am aware the promotion has ended but I believe there is a grace period that we're still in.

Edit: I registered the Club Nintendo PIN for MK8 two days ago.

I would appreciate any advice.

You had to register by July 31st to get the free game unfortunately. You can try calling Nintendo, I guess, if it's still going through for other people.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 15, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I'm amazed how hard a time I was having convincing people to buy a Mario Kart 8 bundle before the end of July. It was pretty much the greatest deal of all time.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm amazed how hard a time I was having convincing people to buy a Mario Kart 8 bundle before the end of July. It was pretty much the greatest deal of all time.

Last year: Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem registered on Club Nintendo netted you $30 worth of eShop credit.

Can anyone think of a Club Nintendo deal better than that in the past? If so, please inform me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Follow up to my issues redeeming a Club Nintendo Elite Status gift: I called, I waited, I talked, I got emailed a download code 24 hours later, I answered "very satisfied" on the survey, I am now playing Dr. Luigi.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

neurotech posted:

Does the Wii U work the same way as the 3DS where your eShop purchases are tied to the physical console?

This got buried. Can anyone help me out with this?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

neurotech posted:

This got buried. Can anyone help me out with this?

Yes, it works the same way.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, it works the same way.

Cheers, thanks.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Slur posted:

Last year: Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem registered on Club Nintendo netted you $30 worth of eShop credit.

Can anyone think of a Club Nintendo deal better than that in the past? If so, please inform me.

I would say a free $60 game beats out $30 in eShop credit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

I would say a free $60 game beats out $30 in eShop credit.

Well the games we got for free in that promotion were at most $40 games now. But this was for buying one $60 game everyone in the world loves, where the fire emblem one you had to buy $90 worth of niche jrpgs.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

New Captain Toad screenshots:

The game still looks beautiful. No new levels though, unfortunately.

You're killing me, Nintendo! :arghfist::(

e: Oops, forgot to properly tag two screenshots!

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 15, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How in the world do they pull that level of visual fidelity on the Wii U?! Most PS4 games don't look that nice!

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It's all art direction, man. Nintendo is loving boss at it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That Captain Toad game looks like it's going to be a pretty neato time waster.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

JordanKai posted:

That last one seems to be from a new level? It's not a level I've seen before, at least. And hey, at least you'll get to play it over the holidays unlike us European peasants, where it's not coming out until, I think, February of next year? :arghfist::mad:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kirios posted:

How in the world do they pull that level of visual fidelity on the Wii U?! Most PS4 games don't look that nice!

Nintendo has been in a lifelong struggle to make polygonal objects look perfectly round and they finally pulled it off! :japan:

PrBacterio posted:

That last one seems to be from a new level? It's not a level I've seen before, at least. And hey, at least you'll get to play it over the holidays unlike us European peasants, where it's not coming out until, I think, February of next year? :arghfist::mad:

We've seen that level before, but only little bits of it. You can see it in this trailer at 0:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m91qkP5ZaN8

Also I am Eurotrash just like you, so we won't be playing the game until January. :(:hf::(

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 15, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

Well the games we got for free in that promotion were at most $40 games now. But this was for buying one $60 game everyone in the world loves, where the fire emblem one you had to buy $90 worth of niche jrpgs.

Pikmin 3 is still $60.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

I'm going by eShop MSRP. $60 for NSMBU or Pikmin 3, and $50 for Wind Waker HD.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

greatn posted:

Fire Emblem sold like a bajillion copies and was hugely successful, I don't know why you are calling it niche

SMT IV is definitely niche, though

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Pikmin 3 is still $60.
You'd have to be an idiot to pick Pikmin 3 though. :smug:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kaubocks posted:

Pikmin 3 was selling under 40 bucks at TRU for months. Their 90% tag sale just ended the other week.

People were buying DS games for 54 cents.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'd say it's niche compared to Wind Waker HD, but FE:A is one of the "big" 3DS games and isn't a remake. If you are part of the "core" market and have a 3DS there was a very good chance you were going to buy Fire Emblem even without the promotion, so I think the point stands about it being a pretty drat good deal.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

I picked Pikmin 3 and loved it. :colbert:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Hey, guys, hey. I liked Boom Blox for the Wii. What're the odds we'll see that franchise come back?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Kirios posted:

Maybe because Nintendo doesn't make everything brown, gritty and realistic?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zfleeman posted:

Hey, guys, hey. I liked Boom Blox for the Wii. What're the odds we'll see that franchise come back?

If a game is made by EA and doesn't have the sequel announced months/years in advance and it's been years since the last game.

It's probably not good odds.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

JordanKai posted:

e: Oops, forgot to properly tag two screenshots!

Nintendo HD is the best HD

Kirios posted:

I know you said "most," but you need to check out P.T.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Fox Engine is equally ridiculous for making nice-looking things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Maybe because Nintendo doesn't make everything brown, gritty and realistic?

I'm watching the Twitch stream of Gamescom showing "Lords of the Fallen", and the dev just said "We tried to go with classic fantasy tropes but made them dark and stylized. We tried to keep it for mainstream audiences, but let me reiterate that it's a challenging game."

He pretty much summed up exactly what I saw at E3 that convinced me that I wanted a Wii U instead of a PS4 or Xbone. The game they showed before it was Trials Fusion and the new DLC set in space. And even that had grays, blacks and muted blues. Like, come on, it's a loving dirtbike game set in space. You can't even take creative license with that to make it visually appealing?

Edit: I'm so tired of having to pull the blinds in my living room to make it dark enough to play video games.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread