Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

I have not played whatever game Stella or Rutile come from, so I have no idea who the hell they are. But they are great a-list team members right off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

5er posted:

I have not played whatever game Stella or Rutile come from, so I have no idea who the hell they are. But they are great a-list team members right off the bat.

You have to have a Disgaea 3 save to get them so apparently you have :v:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does anyone know if you have to have played Disgaea 3 up to any particular point to unlock them? I just ordered a Vita with both 3 and 4 and I'd like to start with 4, but I'll make a quick 3 save first if that's enough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have D3 Vita but the saves are stored on the game if it's digital right? So I have to re-download the game so D4 detects the save, then I can delete it again? Can't just let it check the save on the cloud or something? Ugh why does the Vita store saves so stupidly.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I just checked the list of features migrated to D4.

* The Innocent Warehouse from Disgaea D2 is also included, allowing storage of Innocents.

* The player can now bribe the Dark Senate with HL like in Disgaea D2.

Honestly, these excite me more than the cheat shop and character promotion. My copy should get here Friday, can't wait.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just saw this other Nis america tactical rpg coming out soonish on the ps4, NAtURAL DOCtRINE. Anyone know anything about it?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Tenzarin posted:

Just saw this other Nis america tactical rpg coming out soonish on the ps4, NAtURAL DOCtRINE. Anyone know anything about it?

It's :siren:SUPER HARDCORE:siren: or something. It seemed pretty charmless when I checked it out awhile back.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I must've not gotten to whatever content they were in :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

It's :siren:SUPER HARDCORE:siren: or something. It seemed pretty charmless when I checked it out awhile back.

Does it have huge numbers? It has got my attention because amazon is having it on sale already for $40 for a ps4 game that isn't released yet.

Edit: wow i get what you said now, gently caress ign.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 13, 2014

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Smello posted:

Does anyone know if you have to have played Disgaea 3 up to any particular point to unlock them? I just ordered a Vita with both 3 and 4 and I'd like to start with 4, but I'll make a quick 3 save first if that's enough.

I had the main game finished on D3 but didn't have it done up to getting Stella and Rutile, but I got them on D4 eventually.

The thing that threw me was the data checker thing kept saying it couldn't find a valid D3 save. I was looking through my senate list for Valvatorez sometime in chapter 2 and noticed the Stella and Rutile vote option was there anyway.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

5er posted:

You unlock them in D3V after beating a bunch of postgame missions with them in it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stella was good endgame too wasn't she? Supposed to have good evilities from what I remember.

When do I get the broken story characters everyone uses :v: I had them unlocked in D3 Vita but never actually played D4 before.

Btw in case anyone is wondering I had to redownload all of D3 to unlock Stella and rutile

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord of Pie posted:

The thing that threw me was the data checker thing kept saying it couldn't find a valid D3 save.

Did you happen to have a Vita cart in the slot when you ran the check? Because if I understand the save checker correctly, if you have a cart in the slot it'll check the cart for the save. I'm not sure if it does anything while the cart slot is empty.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Stella was good endgame too wasn't she? Supposed to have good evilities from what I remember.

When do I get the broken story characters everyone uses :v: I had them unlocked in D3 Vita but never actually played D4 before.

Btw in case anyone is wondering I had to redownload all of D3 to unlock Stella and rutile

I thought she was, her evility takes stats away from surrounding units (including the enemy) and adds it to her own and she has an innate 3x3 attack making her easy to level. Don't know if that has changed in D4.

And from what I've been hearing all you need is a D3 save file.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Did you happen to have a Vita cart in the slot when you ran the check? Because if I understand the save checker correctly, if you have a cart in the slot it'll check the cart for the save. I'm not sure if it does anything while the cart slot is empty.

Yeah, I tried it with the D4 cart in, then with the D3 cart in, but not without a cart in.

It ended up working anyway though so :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most broken story character in D4 is Valvatorez, so.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok lost 2 item world runs in a row. First one forgot that Mr Gency can't let you escape fights in mystery rooms, second one I dropped my vita and it reset as it was exiting floor 10 :/

How is val broken? Also are generics even worth it because it seems like story characters are much better in D4.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 14, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
If I remember right I did a lot of the postgame stuff in D4 with story characters and monsters for magichange. Val's ability where he gets stronger for everything he kills on a map is great, he is probably the most powerful main character in the series.

I really wish the series would let you use the characters you unlock in post game in the story missions of a new game plus. I unlocked Zetta on D4 and was looking forward to running through the story again with the new characters :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

How is val broken?
He gains massive stats for every monster he kills on a run, and IIRC a lot of his unique specials heal him for a bit of the damage he dealt, since he's a vampire and all. So he can just kill a couple of guys and keep healing himself up and killing people on counters. He can easily solo most maps, so long as he can grab an initial kill or two to get the ball rolling.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Also are generics even worth it because it seems like story characters are much better in D4.
There are a few reasons to use generics: first, they learn high-tier weapon skills much earlier than story characters; if you promote and spent your mana carefully, it's very plausible for generics to have their Tier 5 weapon skills before the end of the main campaign. Second, some of the generic class skills are really powerful, like the +100% ATK and INT buffs and the Archer's status arrows. And third, Samurai are just all around awesome.

And then in the postgame, it's a lot easier to get whatever combination of skills you want on a generic, including the all-important Big Bang, because you can just reincarnate through different classes instead of having to pick them up one at a time through the Character World at exorbitant prices.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

He gains massive stats for every monster he kills on a run, and IIRC a lot of his unique specials heal him for a bit of the damage he dealt, since he's a vampire and all. So he can just kill a couple of guys and keep healing himself up and killing people on counters. He can easily solo most maps, so long as he can grab an initial kill or two to get the ball rolling.

Ooh awesome, I see. I thought Fuka would be broken but she doesn't get the crazy evility she had in D3 where she has 2 lives and the second one has +50% to all stats.

FractalSandwich posted:

There are a few reasons to use generics: first, they learn high-tier weapon skills much earlier than story characters; if you promote and spent your mana carefully, it's very plausible for generics to have their Tier 5 weapon skills before the end of the main campaign. Second, some of the generic class skills are really powerful, like the +100% ATK and INT buffs and the Archer's status arrows. And third, Samurai are just all around awesome.

And then in the postgame, it's a lot easier to get whatever combination of skills you want on a generic, including the all-important Big Bang, because you can just reincarnate through different classes instead of having to pick them up one at a time through the Character World at exorbitant prices.
In D3 though it felt like the generics for the most part were plain better than all the unique characters save some of the DLC ones. I do like Samurai though... Also never realized the archer skills are actually good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The elemental witches have a spell that regens everyones SP so yeah, generics are super good.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Rutile has guns listed as one of her weapon fortes, but I'm not seeing any gun abilities available for her at the evility vendor. Why is this?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

5er posted:

Rutile has guns listed as one of her weapon fortes, but I'm not seeing any gun abilities available for her at the evility vendor. Why is this?

Some people have have a higher grade forte than others. Like, Val has Spears listed, but the Sword skills will show up at an earlier level.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can you use someone elses D3V save data for the character unlocks in D4V? I got D3V from PSN+ a while ago but never got around to playing/downloading it since I already played it on the ps3, and would rather not waste time downloading just to create a throwaway save.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can you use someone elses D3V save data for the character unlocks in D4V? I got D3V from PSN+ a while ago but never got around to playing/downloading it since I already played it on the ps3, and would rather not waste time downloading just to create a throwaway save.

How are you going to get the save on there? You can only have one PSN account on the vita.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh I thought you could just put the save on the memory card like you can for PSP games, is that not the case for vita games? bummer.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh I thought you could just put the save on the memory card like you can for PSP games, is that not the case for vita games? bummer.

Vita saves are attached to the game, to the point where deleting a game bubble will give you a warning that it will also delete your save. As a result, if you don't have a valid copy of the game, you can't access the save.

It's a huge step backwards, I'm not sure why Sony did it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ended up just redownloading it and making a save right at the beginning, what a bother. Shame Sony decided to be dumb with saves just like region switching.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Vita saves are attached to the game, to the point where deleting a game bubble will give you a warning that it will also delete your save. As a result, if you don't have a valid copy of the game, you can't access the save.

It's a huge step backwards, I'm not sure why Sony did it.

Does that mean that there is no way to keep an archive of your old saves as they get autodeleted when you need to make space on your (very much storage limited) Vita?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Munin posted:

Does that mean that there is no way to keep an archive of your old saves as they get autodeleted when you need to make space on your (very much storage limited) Vita?

Aside from backing the save up to PS+ or the game+data to a PC/PS3? Yes.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Aside from backing the save up to PS+ or the game+data to a PC/PS3? Yes.

Ah, so there is at least a way to maintain your saves then. PS+ storage, saves wise, is plentiful and robust I hope?

The 3DS launched without any way to backup your saves for digital download games you deleted but at least there they swiftly noted how stupid that was and added a utility to do so. Only wrinkle is that it doesn't work with Pokemon games as otherwise people might be able to dupe Pokemons or something and then where would the world be.

Anyway, a Vita is likely to be my next console purchase due to Disgaea games... I like Tactical RPGs too much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Munin posted:

Ah, so there is at least a way to maintain your saves then. PS+ storage, saves wise, is plentiful and robust I hope?

Yeah, you get a GB of storage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I love the cheat shop's inclusion in Vita D4 so much. I do not miss the tedium of having to use senate hearings to adjust enemy difficulty. I also appreciate the straightforward, easy toggle for Internet-shared visiting voters. Sometimes I just want to get something passed, and I don't want to deal with Jimmy Cockmaster's 9999 Majin who will poo poo up your floor because you didn't bring a loving barbell into a vote with you.
e: I know the PS3 proper games had a setting for shutting it off but it'd put you through a few bitch-at-you messages for disabling it, and the last time I toggled it back off and then back on, my foreign minister never seemed to get dispatched, and I only ever saw the one same visiting senator ever again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope the cheat shop increases at some point. I got to chapter 4 and I keep seeing "maximum and minimum adjusted!" but don't quite feel like changing the Exp 110%, Mana 110%, HL 100% as I kind of need all 3 things right now. Didn't get to far into DD2's post game but I hope it's not just a all in one bar and nothing in the others.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hope the cheat shop increases at some point. I got to chapter 4 and I keep seeing "maximum and minimum adjusted!" but don't quite feel like changing the Exp 110%, Mana 110%, HL 100% as I kind of need all 3 things right now. Didn't get to far into DD2's post game but I hope it's not just a all in one bar and nothing in the others.

It mostly opens up during the post-game, where you'll get maximums of 600 or 500% and a lot of extra points to distribute. In the main game, just tilt towards whatever you happen to need at the time, or if you're concerned about difficulty you have the handy option to cut off exp gains while you're diving into item worlds and the like.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just getting a little bit of extra EXP is pretty handy right now even in the early game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really not digging how poor the audio quality is in D4V

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Doubling the Magichange length is amazing and the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What's a good fist user early? Besides the one you start with. Rutile was using Axes for a bit then I got Fuka who seems to be way better, on top of a Warrior I'm leveling with axes to unlock classes so it seemed to be a bit much. It seems like Magichange is actually really good this time around too.

• Locked thread