Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My wife has been watching rupauls drag race like an addict for the last few weeks. I want to make an all female drag team, but I think amazons are a bit poo poo. Are there other teams that can have all female models? I think wood elves can get most of them, but while I enjoy playing elf bowl, actual elves are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

lenoon posted:

My wife has been watching rupauls drag race like an addict for the last few weeks. I want to make an all female drag team, but I think amazons are a bit poo poo. Are there other teams that can have all female models? I think wood elves can get most of them, but while I enjoy playing elf bowl, actual elves are terrible.

Khemri might be all female, it's hard to tell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Please do not encourage anorexia. :smith:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

lenoon posted:

Actually there are only two-

You know what, no, you're right.

(Amazons actually are the only all-lady squad and they are the opposite of poo poo. They are the poo poo. Super cheap, and every one of their linewomen/blitzers(all 4!)/throwers starts with a skill that would normally only be available on doubles.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Amazons start out strong because of their skills, but their weak stat line means they don't develop too impressively. At higher TVs you'll be playing teams that have good stats and useful skills while the Amazons have mostly the same unimpressive stats and some more skills that aren't as essential.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where the hell do you set the game timer? I hate ending up in matches with 40 second or 4 minute rounds.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Where the hell do you set the game timer? I hate ending up in matches with 40 second or 4 minute rounds.

When you hit matchmaker to select your teams, it's below your teams.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SynthOrange posted:

When you click matchmaking and get a list of teams, click on one. It'll give you two lists, for minimum and maximum turn times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks, and finally. Ugh I hate 4/40.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Victor Vermis posted:

Actually there are only two-

You know what, no, you're right.

(Amazons actually are the only all-lady squad and they are the opposite of poo poo. They are the poo poo. Super cheap, and every one of their linewomen/blitzers(all 4!)/throwers starts with a skill that would normally only be available on doubles.

Amazons are a good team, I just don't find them that enjoyable to play really. Skill progression has an obvious optimum and you get a full team of blodgers very quickly. Fun, but I like the wierdness you can achieve with the other teams.

Like with stat increases. Anything on a zon turns them into a better version of something they already do. Strength on a catcher, cool. MA on a blitzer, cool.

I like teams where stat ups completely change the nature of the game. MA on a mummy? AG on a beast man?

So yeah, zons can be the poo poo but I don't find them that much fun to develop as a team.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Skaven are some of the most elf bullshit I've seen without being elves (who I have yet to play against). 0-0 draw with my Khemri that gave me a +Ag TG :getin: and enough to get my second Blitz-Ra. I was sweating bullets over all of the Regen rolls I made (all of them, like 4 of them), which ended up being about how many dodges he failed. And he was making at least 3 or 4 dodges a turn, it was loving bowlshit. :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

lenoon posted:

War dancers are actually male, they're only female in Cyanide so it's perfect for a drag theme!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've actually started playing online. The first match was my orcs vs. A goon which was a lot of fun. I then tried random matchmaking. My rookie wood elf team got matched with a 1500 TV dark elf team that was a man down so they could squeeze extra TV onto their players. Man had me beat since all his positionals also had blodge and sidestep. He's in scoring position on turn six of the first half and decided to stall to try and injure my positionals.

It's okay to call him a dick and rq right?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 15, 2014

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So I've actually started playing online. The first match was my orcs vs. A goon which was a lot of fun. I then tried random matchmaking. My rookie wood elf team got matched with a 1500 TV dark elf team that was a man down so they could squeeze extra TV onto their players. Man had me beat since all his positionals also had blodge and sidestep. He's in scoring position on turn six of the first half and decided to stall to try and injure my positionals.

In mm always quit it saves the both you from wasting any more time on a match where you got outplayed before the first kick off. A big part of mm is tv management and this is made worse by the journeman bug. How he managed to get 500 tv on you with only 1 of them i dont understand? Dont ever spin the coin for more than 30 seconds, the longer it spins the bigger the chance for a huge tv diffrence.

Stalling is bb, so no reason to be mad about it. This is a game where the only way to win for half of the teams is to hurt your players and stall.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Quitting? Sure, if you think there's nothing left for your team to gain. Why would you call him a dick, though? He got a superior position and is exploiting it, as he should. These kind of mismatches happen from time to time, and you roll with them. That's Blood Bowl.

In general, unless your team is decimated down to just a couple of players, you might as well play it out. You might get at least some SPP on your guys.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If it's a fresh team, you're not even losing anything. Wipe it and rebuild it, and they can die to some new dudes next time.

Also, if you're Welfs, people will stall against you to put the boot in a lot. Taking turns out of the game against a team that can fairly easily 1 turn and has war-dancers to kick the faces off? Most people will do that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Not stalling is someting that mainly happens in giant goon league because we only care about getting more spp and not about our win rates. In a bit more serious places people will stall because that ensures a win usually. Of course I've also noticed some people are really dumb about stalling and often just stall for the sake of it not knowing how the game will progress.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 15, 2014

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
To be clear, I'm totally good with stalling against me if I have a realistic chance of scoring. But at 3 linemen and a wardancer down and with no defense against wrestle strip ball, it just felt like he was choosing to be a poo poo instead of passing posession so he could score again.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

To be clear, I'm totally good with stalling against me if I have a realistic chance of scoring. But at 3 linemen and a wardancer down and with no defense against wrestle strip ball, it just felt like he was choosing to be a poo poo instead of passing posession so he could score again.

You were playing wood elves. If you have two people on the pitch, you can score.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

apostateCourier posted:

You were playing wood elves. If you have two people on the pitch, you can score.

Fair, guess I should have just gangfouled a bunch of his dudes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Fair, guess I should have just gangfouled a bunch of his dudes.

If you have a rookie team and get matched against 1500 elves this should have been your Plan A.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Playing 500 TV down with a fresh team?

Alt+F4 at the match-up screen would not have been frowned upon.

Also Wood Elves bitching about stalling is silly. "WHY WONT YOU PLAY TO MY STRENGTHS?! ARRRRGH!"

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Yes stalling is a legitimate tactic and yes it is a way to ensure the win with very low risk to yourself but it is 100% a dick move. It's boring and you had every right to call him a dick but often being a dick is the best way to win

If I were pubbing against *elfs and had the opportunity to stall them out to turn 8 while mashing their face in I would absolutely do it but I would still feel like a dick

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 15, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

If your opponent is able to stall you out with ZERO chance of losing the ball, you probably could've played more conservatively up to this point.
But nobody's going to call you a jerk for trying to dodge into 3 TZs for a 1db on the first four turns of the half.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that's the first time I've ever faced a Khorne team. A big guy with no negatraits. welp.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's got Wild Animal, it just rarely comes into play because he's either blitzing or standing around providing tackle zones.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

What did you spend the 500k in inducements on?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

NiknudStunod posted:

What did you spend the 500k in inducements on?

Eldril sidewinder, a reroll babes and an apothecary.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Eldril sidewinder, a reroll babes and an apothecary.

Should have got lots of bribes, then went to town on him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Should have got Barry the Wizzo

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Always get the wizard, might not be as effective against ag4 teams but its still good...ZAP!

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I would of taken Halfling chef/wizard/babe or just Morg n Thorg.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GNU Order posted:

it is 100% a dick move

I guess I'm a dick then.

If stalling is the best way to win a match that you otherwise might not win, you should stall, and if people get all angry about it at you, you should just be polite but firm that this is how your team wins and it's part of bloodbowl.

Obviously there are borderline situations, like if you're already up a point and scoring will put you up two, stalling to the end of the second half is kind of crappy. But still do it if your opponent has like four guys KOed and you'd rather not give them a chance to wake up and murder your fragile players or something.

Mostly though just don't get mad about videogames. Even if your opponent is "wasting your time" by doing something optimal for his own chances to win. If you don't have so much time, pick two-minute turns or even 40-second turns or maybe play a game where matches aren't typically around an hour.

e. and yes the counter to someone stalling is either put pressure on the ball so they'll score, or start fouling their most expensive players. The latter can backfire if they outnumber you on the field though, because they can afford to foul you right back.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I don't get how it's anything but normal play to sometimes stall. If I could play a passing team and just let my opponent walk into the endzone when it was their drive, to give me plenty of time to score back, I would. Being able to control the ball and therefore control the clock is essential for a bashy team. It would upset a central dynamic of the game for there to be a social expectation that people will score as quickly as possible.

The only "dick move" I can think of is hurting the other team's players through fouling or surfing when it doesn't do you any good (e.g., at the end of a game where you don't need to get them off the field).

edit: There's plenty of moves that make the game less exciting - dodging elf units away from orc units to prevent a non-blitz block - and you'd be crazy to do none of them. At least clock-control play tends to result in turns that don't take very long.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 15, 2014

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Leperflesh posted:

I guess I'm a dick then.

We are all dicks. Blood Bowl is inherently dickish and assholey. Don't be ashamed, everybody. I'm proud to be a dick.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

GNU Order posted:

We are all dicks. Blood Bowl is inherently dickish and assholey. Don't be ashamed, everybody. I'm proud to be a dick.

GNU, you have inspired me to roll a Dwarf team.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

You know, there's nothing just quite like the feeling when your opponent gets down to zero re-rolls, rolls dub skulls, and then pauses for several seconds.

Also, I was just about to get into a good position to win a game, and now my opponent got me stuck in the "pause menu while other menu is open" trap where he can just wait for an infinite amount of time. Motherfucker wanna play Wait Bowl, let's play. I've got like six more hours time and a shitton of Cinema Snob videos to watch. Fitting, considering the team I'm playing is my Cinema Snob themed Human team. Good to see that the Snob All-Stars started out with a good game, and my Thrower and a Blitzer already got TDs. Also, my Ogre failed like 50% of his Bonehead rolls. Because of course he did.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

TheMcD posted:

You know, there's nothing just quite like the feeling when your opponent gets down to zero re-rolls, rolls dub skulls, and then pauses for several seconds.

Also, I was just about to get into a good position to win a game, and now my opponent got me stuck in the "pause menu while other menu is open" trap where he can just wait for an infinite amount of time. Motherfucker wanna play Wait Bowl, let's play. I've got like six more hours time and a shitton of Cinema Snob videos to watch. Fitting, considering the team I'm playing is my Cinema Snob themed Human team. Good to see that the Snob All-Stars started out with a good game, and my Thrower and a Blitzer already got TDs. Also, my Ogre failed like 50% of his Bonehead rolls. Because of course he did.

As soon as you get the chance, pause him back and then go setup a fumbbl account and play on there from now on. Let Cyanide run until he alt+f4s or dies.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Trolls seem to be rolling for 4+ on Really Stupid even with a team member next to them. Is this a bug or have the actual BB rules changed or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

team overhead smash posted:

Trolls seem to be rolling for 4+ on Really Stupid even with a team member next to them. Is this a bug or have the actual BB rules changed or what?

Cyanide doesn't show the dice log in the most clear way. It's a +2 roll still. It adds +2 to the dice result if a player is standing next to the troll.

• Locked thread