Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I haven't been following this series closely, but as I understand, the heroes are fighting over Uatu's eyes, which contain all his knowledge. Why would his eyes contain his knowledge? Wouldn't that all be in his brain?

A horrible secret loses such power once everybody knows it.

He's not a Rememberer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If the Watcher gets one Eye back he should be the new Nick Fury. He knows almost everything so he's basically Nick but doesn't act. So Nick is eliminating his competition.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I want Fury to be the new Watcher. I'm sure that's been posited a bunch, but it would be cool. They could do a mini about him watching stuff and being so pissed off that he's not allowed to interfere that his eye bleeds and he poops a little, but he's on the moon so it's cool no one saw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He shoves the Watcher's eyes in his own sockets (He loses the other eye to.... Oh, I don't know, let's say Moe) and that makes his head swell up.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Does each eye contain half of Uatu's knowledge, or do both hold full copies of all his knowledge?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Does each eye contain half of Uatu's knowledge, or do both hold full copies of all his knowledge?

If he didn't have his eyes running in a RAID then I'm glad he's dead.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Depends if he was winking when he saw something happen.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Unmature posted:

Depends if he was winking when he saw something happen.

And now I'm picturing Uatu wearing a big beer dispenser hat, but it's Visine instead.

I'm guessing he and MODOK shop at the same hat place.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Watchers are so evolved they don't have brains, just a nervous system spread around their entire body.

Didn't I see that in an anime once?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes, it was called "Ultimate Iron Man" by Orson Scott Card-kun

e: I think he was a Naruto.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Nevvy Z posted:

Star Fish are the anime of the sea, yes.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

He observes the entire scope and history of the Marvel Universe one eye at a time, alternately winking between them saying "Camera 1, camera 2, camera 1, camera 2..."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

"There is a great danger out there in the universe and we must turn it's oven off! But I don't remember where the keys were."

"Hey honey I'm home...Tigra, right? And our kid is...what is gender again?"

I owe you $2.50 and a nullifier? I don't know anything about it, Thor. No really. I'm not a douche."

"I remember watching you Spider Woman...hm? For what reason? Uuuuhhh...Oh this looks bad."

He'd pop in to the next event and use the ultimate nullifier on Thanos or something, then go "Wait, am I supposed to not intervene or something?"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Is Galactus still considered the the only person/being to have survived the Big Bang or were Watchers around as well?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Is Galactus still considered the the only person/being to have survived the Big Bang or were Watchers around as well?

The Watchers came about post-big bang, although (relatively) really early in the Universe's lifespan.

Some primordial super-watcher (long-since deceased) was referenced of being born AT the beginning of the universe along with some other cosmic beings, this was only really referenced once or twice in Annihilation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

There were a bunch of galactic abstracts that were revealed to have been around almost as long as the big G back in Annihilation.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I thought Watchers were multiverse entities, in that there is only one set. They're actually from 616?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I thought Watchers were multiverse entities, in that there is only one set. They're actually from 616?

Yes to both.

They don't originate outside of the multiverse but are singular throughout the multiverse. Galactus is still the only entity that survived the big bang the entities that showed up in the pre aniliation-mini were just some of the first entities that came into existence, they also promptly disappeared once their role in the plot was over and have never shown up again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

While Galactus is supposed to be one of the only entities from the previous universe to have survived (there is a theory that the person who became Eternity was someone Galactus knew in the previous universe. Like a teacher or someone. And I think the Celestials were rumoured to be all the dead crewmen who joined Galan in his last voyage.) he spent a couple of million years of the Universe's beginning inside a cosmic egg before he emerged.

So while Galactus was there first, civilisations rose while he gestated. That's why the Watcher's can say that they were present at his birth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uh guys, Galactus wasn't real. The FF actually faked the whole thing. Hawkeye said so.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 16, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Deadpool posted:

Uh guys, Galactus wasn't real. The FF actually faked the whole thing. Hawkeye said so.

I don't know what you're talking about. That guy's face is blurred, it could be anybody.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

Hahah holy poo poo whats this from?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SalTheBard posted:

Hahah holy poo poo whats this from?

Galactus: The Real Story by Frank Tieri. It's a funny little read. The way Hawkeye dumps on the FF as being nothing compared to the Avengers is good stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my favorite part of that image is the framed picture of himself right next to his blurred out face.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Galactus: The Real Story by Frank Tieri. It's a funny little read. The way Hawkeye dumps on the FF as being nothing compared to the Avengers is good stuff.

Hawkeye's hatred of all things Fantastic Four is well documented:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I think my favorite part of that image is the framed picture of himself right next to his blurred out face.

E the Shaggy posted:

Hawkeye's hatred of all things Fantastic Four is well documented:

This is the scene where they first introduce him in the book.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I hate Hawkeye's classic costume so loving much.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I want to find this book so bad now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's included in the collected SPACE PUNISHER, so you can have two good books in one binding!

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 16, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SirDan3k posted:

Yes to both.

They don't originate outside of the multiverse but are singular throughout the multiverse. Galactus is still the only entity that survived the big bang the entities that showed up in the pre aniliation-mini were just some of the first entities that came into existence, they also promptly disappeared once their role in the plot was over and have never shown up again.

Original Sin #0 has Uatu searching parallel universes for one where they didn't gently caress up Prosilicus. Therefore, they are not multiversal.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's included in the collected SPACE PUNISHER, so you can have two good books in one binding!

http://marvel.com/comics/collection/41412/space_punisher_tpb_trade_paperback

Is this the one?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Baron Bifford posted:

Original Sin #0 has Uatu searching parallel universes for one where they didn't gently caress up Prosilicus. Therefore, they are not multiversal.

OK, so how about this -- even if they aren't multiversal and all watchers originate from 616, does that mean they still only operate out of 616? Or did some disperse through the multiverse?

The best example of this is the What If about Sentry not being stopped after going full Void during Siege and the Watcher narrating the event is narrating from that universe and not our Watcher.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Rhyno posted:

There were a bunch of galactic abstracts that were revealed to have been around almost as long as the big G back in Annihilation.

Nah, they were created at the beginning of the universe. Galactus came from the previous universe (although you could make the argument he was Galan rather than Galactus).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Yup.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's been shown countless times that they are alternate Watchers. Aside from Mojo and, like, Roma and Merlin, I think everyone is unique to their respective Earth. Also Mojo was probably lying.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The whole concept of the watchers is different in Ultimate too, there they are those weird floating staffs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dacap posted:

The whole concept of the watchers is different in Ultimate too, there they are those weird floating staffs.

And in one world he was a psychiatrist with a mustache.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
Everyone's focusing on Thor, but what's with Fury saying Wolverine killed his children?

(and I liked Identity Crisis, and I'm in my 40s)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well he already killed Daken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Psychlone posted:

Everyone's focusing on Thor, but what's with Fury saying Wolverine killed his children?

(and I liked Identity Crisis, and I'm in my 40s)
It was in Jason Aaron's Wolverine. This is the book on Amazon. Wolverine was being messed with hardcore by this group, and he murdered them all. He killed all their mutant bodyguards. After he killed them all, it was reavealed that their bodyguards were all his bastard children, as a way to gently caress with him beyond the grave.

And then there is Daken from Remender's X-Force that Aphrodite mentioned.

• Locked thread