Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Yes, for the callcenter and claims department interviews. It is literally log in, open word, type some bs paragraph, then print it and the instructions are there.

Any time the receptionist calls me to assist the interviewees it's either the printer is broken or the people locked themselves out of the test account (3 attempts). If it's the latter I tell the hiring manager that the applicant failed the "log into the computer" portion of the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Zahmer posted:

A ticket came in.

After two years of hiring people even more dumb than the ones that were fired, we have been asked to find some sort of web based pre-employment test for basic computer and Microsoft Office literacy. After searching around and taking the example tests from a few vendors, it seems that most of them aren't entirely English or are far too in-depth for the level of employee being interviewed (clerical).

Do any of your organizations already have something like this in place?

We used to give people a test that we expected most people to bomb for clerical positions, if the candidate could answer any one of the questions on it they got hired.

It wasn't even super hard stuff, but finding someone that actually knew how to use merge fields/set up a table of contents/use styles was somehow impossible.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 14, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We used to give people a test that we expected most people to bomb for clerical positions, if the candidate could answer any one of the questions on it they got hired.

It wasn't even super hard stuff, but finding someone that actually knew how to use merge fields/set up a table of contents/use styles was somehow impossible.

I would fail this test unless it was TeX. I'm not qualified for a clerical job :negative:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

evol262 posted:

I would fail this test unless it was TeX. I'm not qualified for a clerical job :negative:

Which is fine, but if you're someone with 5 years of experience with MS Office, you should be able to answer at least one of those questions when you apply for a senior document preparation position.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dead Cow posted:

Yes, for the callcenter and claims department interviews. It is literally log in, open word, type some bs paragraph, then print it and the instructions are there.

Any time the receptionist calls me to assist the interviewees it's either the printer is broken or the people locked themselves out of the test account (3 attempts). If it's the latter I tell the hiring manager that the applicant failed the "log into the computer" portion of the test.

Make them type up the instructions.

Zahmer
Jan 17, 2011
Honestly, if we could hire a person or two that could press the AutoSum button in Excel and check the Num Lock and Caps Lock when their password "quits working" I would be a happy man.

I was told by my boss to find a system that HR can run by themselves. Bonus points, HR requested a "cloud" test.

I think having the interviewee log in to a workstation and complete and print a predefined set of tasks is a much better option.

Thanks for all your help.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Building out another regional office and the first time I get to see the plan the server room has been turned into a space 8 feet long... and 2.5 feet deep. It's oriented lengthwise with a sliding door at one end.

EDIT: To be clear it's a long rectangle with the door at the skinny end. Great for storing pipe I guess!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 14, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Building out another regional office and the first time I get to see the plan the server room has been turned into a space 8 feet long... and 2.5 feet deep. It's oriented lengthwise with a sliding door at one end.

EDIT: To be clear it's a long rectangle with the door at the skinny end. Great for storing pipe I guess!

The last photo studio I worked for had its server room in the basement, in a closet about 8'x4', door on the skinny end, and (being an old-rear end building whose basement wasn't entirely sealed) had the drainage system in there. Room was perpetually damp, to the point that condensation was on EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME.

Their poo poo kept breaking and they "just couldn't figure it out". lol

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hell, when I first started at a web hosting company I used to work for way back in the day, the "server room" at the HQ office in Orlando was literally a broom closet with some storage shelves holding the servers. Since their was no ventilation, our facilities guy knocked out a ceiling tile, disconnected one of the A/C flex ducts from another vent, and stuffed it through the hole.

It gets better, though; at one point we closed our colo hosting account at one of our other data centers to save money, but we had no place to put the few dozen servers that used to live there, so we flew them down to the Orlando office (which was in a small half-office half-warehouse building in a light industrial park) and put them out in the non-climate-controlled warehouse area on a big shelf on wheels. Our "crash cart" was a shopping cart that someone either stole from some random homeless dude or from the Albertson's down the road on OBT.

Being Central Florida in the summer, it was so hot out there that those servers would spontaneously reboot at least once every few days. Sometimes they would refuse to boot at all, and we'd have to remove the hot-swappable hard drives and put them in the freezer in the break room for a few minutes to cool them down. Also, they'd sometimes open the garage doors to try to cool the room down and forget to close them when all the day folks left, so I'd find them still wide open when I left around midnight; I'm still amazed that we never had some crackhead just wander in and roll the whole rack of servers away one day. Probably they were just too busy breaking into our cars in the parking lot to notice the open doors... :v:

The owners eventually built a slightly better data center in part of the warehouse space (it wasn't great, but it at least was bigger than a closet, had proper power and network drops and HVAC, and even had a door with a lock :toot: ), but they also built out some extra office space for our client services people at the same time and connected both spaces to the same HVAC system, so it was always like 50 degrees in the client services office and those poor folks were always freezing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

This sounds like a standard Network/Server Administrator's office to me. It includes a high school-style desk-with-attached-chair combo and is otherwise filled with server racks, right? Also no windows?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

You're being relocated, it's your new office :ssh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought "storing pipe" was being used as a euphemism but no, it's much more literal.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I can tick something new off of my bucket list today

☑Go through a lilliputian Windows 8.1 install and in doing so age my already ailing eyeballs by five years in the space of ten minutes....

There are many tradeoffs when you work for a semi-laid back startup.

On one hand, we're fed delicious grilled tri tip steak with all the fixins on a semi regular basis. On the other hand, people generally get whateverfucking computing device/piece of poo poo technology they ask for no matter how lovely/unproven/lame and I end up paying the price.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Windows 8 deploys much faster than windows 7. And you can upgrade to pro through the add remove windows services page instead of having to do a fresh install.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

I can tick something new off of my bucket list today

☑Go through a lilliputian Windows 8.1 install and in doing so age my already ailing eyeballs by five years in the space of ten minutes....

There are many tradeoffs when you work for a semi-laid back startup.

On one hand, we're fed delicious grilled tri tip steak with all the fixins on a semi regular basis. On the other hand, people generally get whateverfucking computing device/piece of poo poo technology they ask for no matter how lovely/unproven/lame and I end up paying the price.

Having a lovely meme posted up in your workspace means you deserve what you get :colbert:

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

Having a lovely meme posted up in your workspace means you deserve what you get :colbert:

I have three of them though, am I going straight to poo poo-eater purgatory?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Yes. Grow up.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
"To be honest," you are running a red flag factory in that cubicle.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Our helpdesk looks like someone found a way to do a print all from 9gag.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 15, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
My workspace contains nothing personal in it really besides technical books that I personally own. I think this is pretty much the same for everyone in my office. We like it this way because we are taken very seriously and not as caricatures from a sitcom/crime drama.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

It's ok if you're in your early 20s and don't know any better, sort of like putting posters up in your bedroom.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This thread has a strange aversion to fun. So what if some guy wants to put stuff up in his cubicle? He spends 8+ hours a day there, let him be comfortable and happy!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:siren: Corporate just approved the budget to upgrade the domain server from NT to 2012 :siren:

My supervisor also approved the idea to test out virtual.

I could cry :unsmith:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I will leave the picture of the Busey family up at all times, and the only way it will be removed is from my cold dead hands.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 15, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

This thread has a strange aversion to fun. So what if some guy wants to put stuff up in his cubicle? He spends 8+ hours a day there, let him be comfortable and happy!

To each their own but it does put off a certain unprofessional vibe. Might not matter for what one person is doing but for others that could mean the difference between being involved in decision making and just being the dude that gets poo poo dumped in their lap to implement.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have nothing decorative in my office because it's just more stuff I'd have to collect when they fire me.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

:siren: Corporate just approved the budget to upgrade the domain server from NT to 2012 :siren:

So much poo poo is going to break....

I expect to see more stories from you in the near future in this thread.

Congrats! You'll love it once it's all done.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

larchesdanrew posted:

As in from like... NT4? O_o

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah that's not an "upgrade" as much as it is "Install new domain and abandon old one".

canis minor
May 4, 2011

One poster behind my monitor is this:

I've also stickied this:

for our tester, but she's no longer with company. I hope she didn't try to follow these guidelines :ohdear:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eithedog posted:

One poster behind my monitor is this:

I've also stickied this:

for our tester, but she's no longer with company. I hope she didn't try to follow these guidelines :ohdear:

Don't suppose you have that testing one in a larger size do you?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ConfusedUs posted:

Don't suppose you have that testing one in a larger size do you?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My job is lately getting to the point where the moment one of my coworkers messages or calls me, I just want to kill myself because he has a tremendously impatient and condescending attitude. He was pushed into a sort of tutor / mentor role when the team lead and head architect quit, so now this guy is the second most knowledgeable and has to help us lowly junior devs... But he has absolutely no loving patience and is just a dick.

I know a few of the other members of my team feel this way, but I have no idea how to bring it up with the actual boss- kind of a first time experience with a douche coworker :shrug:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

There's a coconut bra that's hung up on the wall next to my desk. It's not mine and I don't know the story behind it but they won't let me take it down. Beyond that, I share an office with my boss and I'm pretty sure he's a hoarder because he never cleans up and refuses to throw anything away. There's piles of empty cardboard boxes that have been in here for two years, various parts of computers strewn about with no organization, stacks of dead hardware that he won't let me recycle, the list goes on and on. It's disgusting and every time I or anyone else tells him that he should clean it, he spends about 5 minutes picking stuff up and putting it somewhere else in the room, announces that it's great, and goes back to whatever he was doing.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Helushune posted:

There's a coconut bra that's hung up on the wall next to my desk. It's not mine and I don't know the story behind it but they won't let me take it down. Beyond that, I share an office with my boss and I'm pretty sure he's a hoarder because he never cleans up and refuses to throw anything away. There's piles of empty cardboard boxes that have been in here for two years, various parts of computers strewn about with no organization, stacks of dead hardware that he won't let me recycle, the list goes on and on. It's disgusting and every time I or anyone else tells him that he should clean it, he spends about 5 minutes picking stuff up and putting it somewhere else in the room, announces that it's great, and goes back to whatever he was doing.

Hide a banana or something in one of those boxes. After a few weeks you'll have more than enough ammunition to warrant an office purge.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

AlternateAccount posted:

Someone was VNC-scanning the entire internet and posting the fun stuff to Twitter and he found this.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 15, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

m.hache posted:

Hide a banana or something in one of those boxes. After a few weeks you'll have more than enough ammunition to warrant an office purge.

He actually has a box that he calls the "food trash box" where he dumps all that in. He'll dump it in to a trash can every two or three weeks but it'll have rotting fruit and moldy bread in it before he does anything with it. I've told him several times that this is all unacceptable and incredibly unprofessional but he's really set in his ways and doesn't take to any mentoring I've tried to offer.

Facilities gave him an ultimatum of "clean it up within two weeks or we're throwing everything on the floor out". I would have thought that would get him going but it's only gotten worse.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 15, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone with an internet-facing VNC connection would also still be running NT4 on something.

Although I imagine NT isn't exactly rare in industrial settings running heavy machinery. I'd just hope they'd have better ways of remote access.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

John Kruk posted:

To each their own but it does put off a certain unprofessional vibe. Might not matter for what one person is doing but for others that could mean the difference between being involved in decision making and just being the dude that gets poo poo dumped in their lap to implement.

It's different company cultures for sure. We have a very relaxed dress code where our bosses wear jeans and t-shirts. If you came in with even a tie people would eyeball you a little differently.

I also had my director comment that I effectively didn't have enough flare in my office once, so now I grow plants and have pictures and posters up. Context dude, context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

If your DC is running NT 4.0 what are you running on the clients?

• Locked thread