Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Thanks for the tips, I was thinking of leveling up a templar and a spiritmaster, so that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Pureauthor posted:

No way, man. Tiz's folded sleeves > Ringabel's style.

This guy knows whats up.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Spiritmaster is pretty much the job that breaks the game's difficulty as well, bear in mind, thanks to Stillness (neither side takes damage for 2 turns).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just got Ninja (Kikyo made me burn about 20 phoenix downs) and it's so nice to have a class where Daggers aren't the lovely damage comedy option, I'm looking forward to wrecking stuff.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 14, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Operation Grind Hell was a success. Thanks to Swordmaster's Free Lunch, having a Performer/Freelancer who can spam My Hero and Mimic, and maxing out Templar I believe I have completely and utterly trivialized the difficulty.

.....at least for Chapter 5.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Pureauthor posted:

No way, man. Tiz's folded sleeves > Ringabel's style.

You're clearly out of your mind. Ringabel's style > Tiz's folded sleeves anytime.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

sitchelin posted:

I just got Ninja (Kikyo made me burn about 20 phoenix downs) and it's so nice to have a class where Daggers aren't the lovely damage comedy option, I'm looking forward to wrecking stuff.

There's a sea enemy, death pirate, that drops Rippers sometimes. I like having a second one so I can bring Ninja to fight humanoid bosses.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Fuuuuuck Behemoth. Even using the Utsusemi trick the turn order variance lets Roars and poo poo get through, and he has waaaaay too much HP. Are there any other tips for him, or am I going to have to just grind a ton? I am level 45 at the moment.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Fuuuuuck Behemoth. Even using the Utsusemi trick the turn order variance lets Roars and poo poo get through, and he has waaaaay too much HP. Are there any other tips for him, or am I going to have to just grind a ton? I am level 45 at the moment.

Compounding is really good for smoothing out those cases where the turn orders align properly to get through Utsusemi. Or you could just have a Performer using Love Rush to ensure such a case never happens. (I don't remember if you can get Hastega by then, but that's even better since a Time Mage can also slow Behemoth.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A good job setup will do miles more for you than a couple levels.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

He's a loving bastard. I just killed him and it was rough the whole way through.

If you've built up the village enough, upgrade your specials for Lightning and Aquatic Slayer.

Build up your defaults and have a performer constantly keeping up Got Your Back (pdef up). Slow him if you can, otherwise it's a meatgrinder: focus fire brave spam and pile on Lightning damage. A Ranger/Spell Fencer spamming Thundara-charged Aquatic Slayer puts a gigantic dent in its health. In the dungeon you should have also found a Lightning Katana and Spear, which helps a shitload.

Here's the group I used, though I'm sure the vets in here could whip up something more efficient:

Tiz - Swordmaster/Performer (Samurai + Buffs)
Edea - Valkyrie/Pirate (Assbeating + Debuffs)
Agnes - Salve Maker/White Mage (Duh)
Ringabel - Ranger/Spell Fencer (Supreme rear end-beating)

That boss is why I'm grinding out everyone's White Mage because Angelic Ward (50% chance to take 50% damage) saved Agnes from being killed so many times. That skill feels mandatory and I wish I had done it sooner.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 14, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is there any way to experiment with Salvemaker compounding outside of fights? I tend to kill things in random encounters before Agnes gets a turn. :stare:

Also, I think I started the Pirate subquest, but I've only gotten as far as talking to Zatz and Datz in the cabin. There aren't any other markers for it. Am I supposed to just sail around at night or will it continue later? I've completed the Performer and Salvemaker subquests so far in Chapter 3, and I'm just continuing on the main quest now (on my way to the Fire Temple). Just worried about missing it (although I'm pretty sure people have said that you can't miss anything, really).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

irlZaphod posted:

Is there any way to experiment with Salvemaker compounding outside of fights? I tend to kill things in random encounters before Agnes gets a turn. :stare:

Also, I think I started the Pirate subquest, but I've only gotten as far as talking to Zatz and Datz in the cabin. There aren't any other markers for it. Am I supposed to just sail around at night or will it continue later? I've completed the Performer and Salvemaker subquests so far in Chapter 3, and I'm just continuing on the main quest now (on my way to the Fire Temple). Just worried about missing it (although I'm pretty sure people have said that you can't miss anything, really).

There's a big patch of fog somewhere in the ocean, find it to complete the quest.

I beat the dragons :toot:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Sail north of grandship at night and into the fog. The pirate fight is an easy tank & spank.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

irlZaphod posted:

Have everyone that isn't Agnes defend and go nuts.

sitchelin posted:

Sail north of grandship at night and into the fog. The pirate fight is an easy tank & spank.

As a note, if you let the pirate ship pass, you will need to look for it elsewhere. I think it spawns to the west of Grandship the second time around.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It's either north, southwest, or southeast of Grandship, in a nice little triangle shape.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm having a problem with DeRosso.
He is too fast for my templar and my healer. Any tips on how to become faster?(or general tips against Derosso)

Edit: Could a couple Shin Smashes do the trick?

VVVVV: Thanks.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 14, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Kurtofan posted:

I'm having a problem with DeRosso.
He is too fast for my templar and my healer. Any tips on how to become faster?(or general tips against Derosso)

Cast Haste and Slow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Woo, finally done with this game. Got the journal 100% completed (including cutscenes, which took a few playthroughs), beat the Gauntlet, beat the secret boss, got both endings, and killed every enemy that was currently in my Norende.

With that, I'm fully prepared for Bravely Second. :dance:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I'm sure revisiting dungeons sounded like a good idea to the developers at the time but I'm back at the lava dungeon, totally lost, and I am losing the will to live. I have no idea where to go at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're lost? As soon as you enter the lava part of the mines you should be able to just take the first left that was blocked by a rock. That leads straight to the temple.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're lost? As soon as you enter the lava part of the mines you should be able to just take the first left that was blocked by a rock. That leads straight to the temple.

This dungeon is the worst and the designers should be punished for their war crimes :shepicide:

.......Thanks. I forgot.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Are chapter 4 monsters supposed to be harder than bosses? The bears spam bare claws which instakills everyone but my valk, get to go first, and take forever to die. There's also the tiny plant things that spam the poison AoE, they wouldn't be so bad if they didn't come in groups of 6. I'd upgrade my armor but it all costs a goddamn fortune.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Color Printer posted:

This dungeon is the worst and the designers should be punished for their war crimes :shepicide:

The Fire Temple sucks because you have to go through three areas to get to the crystal. :argh:

sitchelin posted:

Are chapter 4 monsters supposed to be harder than bosses? The bears spam bare claws which instakills everyone but my valk, get to go first, and take forever to die. There's also the tiny plant things that spam the poison AoE, they wouldn't be so bad if they didn't come in groups of 6. I'd upgrade my armor but it all costs a goddamn fortune.

Chapter 4 is basically where the game decides that it hates your face and wants your lunch money.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Fire Temple sucks because you have to go through three areas to get to the crystal. :argh:

And three teleport gems to get out!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sockser posted:

And three teleport gems to get out!

That was super annoying.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just turn off encounters and take the shortcut back to the Mythril Mines

Fire Temple Boss was nice and easy, so was Barbarossa

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Hey, Rampart's ability says "Form a shield around all allies that prevents one physical attack." Not "prevents the damage of one physical attack", "prevents one physical attack". Basically what I'm saying is Megaton Press shouldn't cause Paralysis if it's blocked by Rampart aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! :argh:

EDIT:

Spiffo posted:

As long as you keep feeding your Templar BP, yeah this is pretty easy to do (and there are several ways to do this). Status ailments still get through Rampart though so gotta deal with that.

I wish I read this! :argh:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Chapter 4 is basically where the game decides that it hates your face and wants your lunch money.

I went 3x merchant + Salve Maker and have been spamming Bomb Arm since my post. I'm going to stockpile a shitload of cash and make everyone knights/valks, actual magic seems to be doing gently caress-all at this point.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

sitchelin posted:

I went 3x merchant + Salve Maker and have been spamming Bomb Arm since my post. I'm going to stockpile a shitload of cash and make everyone knights/valks, actual magic seems to be doing gently caress-all at this point.

Magic gets good again at level loving 13, so yeah there's a reason everybody ditches magic for other better options

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
As per the thread, as soon as Chapter 5 started I went to Florem to get some sweet sweet buffed JP. The enemies are really hard now, my entire team died to two Rukh's before they could move. It's like I have to level up before I can handle the enemies that let me level up. :v:

Is there a path to take level-wise in Ch. 5, or is it just "fly everywhere and get beat on for a while"?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Did you get ambushed or are they just that much faster than your team?

And no, there is no set path.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Give everyone Hermes' Sandles & Speed+ and hope for the best? I've gone back to the Ch3 continent to beef up Thief for everyone for the speed boost. Going first is literally the difference between life & death for me now. I only run black mage as a status-monkey. I never thought I'd be using sleep/silence as often as I do now, crowd control helps.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 15, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Color Printer posted:

Hey, Rampart's ability says "Form a shield around all allies that prevents one physical attack." Not "prevents the damage of one physical attack", "prevents one physical attack". Basically what I'm saying is Megaton Press shouldn't cause Paralysis if it's blocked by Rampart aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! :argh:

You can get Earthing Rods on Grandship.

Edit: is Natural Talent (coupled with Knuckle Lore) a good ability to keep around after mastering Monk? This plus Pressure Point does some great damage.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 15, 2014

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Edit: is Natural Talent (coupled with Knuckle Lore) a good ability to keep around after mastering Monk? This plus Pressure Point does some great damage.
I've never used it much, but Natural Talent seems to be the key to all the biggest friend-summon attacks I've seen. It can do some insane damage if you set things up right.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Quantum Toast posted:

I've never used it much, but Natural Talent seems to be the key to all the biggest friend-summon attacks I've seen. It can do some insane damage if you set things up right.

Natural Talent gives you pure damage at the expense of basically everything else. Pre-obliterate grinding, I'd use Natural Talent/Knuckle Lore along with Valk secondary classes to grind up my dudes, which worked fairly well, although I think I'd keep one or two guys not like that so they could use accessories like alert badges or whatever.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Natural Talent and Knuckle Lore make it so you get amazing Monk Damage without actually having to use the Monk class. So you basically get three classes.

Try it with Dark Knight and the Blood Blade from the vampire castle. Equip the Blood Blade and use it from the menu to cast Sword Magic: Drain on yourself. Then unequip the blood blade (to get your natural talent bonus back) and start going to town with Dark Knight skills.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Kurtofan posted:

Natural Talent is a gimmick ability, but its one of my favorite ones in the entire game. I comboed it with vampire so I could aoe everything for like 4k damage or just regain a ton of hp with vampirism. Since enemies seem to always target lower hp characters, you can add See You in Hell from Dark Knight with Rise from the Dead for a hilarious 9999 combo of getting killed and rezzing, rinse and repeat.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Spiffo posted:

Natural Talent and Knuckle Lore make it so you get amazing Monk Damage without actually having to use the Monk class. So you basically get three classes.

Try it with Dark Knight and the Blood Blade from the vampire castle. Equip the Blood Blade and use it from the menu to cast Sword Magic: Drain on yourself. Then unequip the blood blade (to get your natural talent bonus back) and start going to town with Dark Knight skills.

That's kinda overkill if you're not trying to break the damage cap. If you have a good BP battery, you can basically do the drain sword thing with a regular late-game DK, use a Spirimaster to make the party immune to elemental damage, and then have the DK explode all over everything over and over again. It's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My fight against the superboss was literally one Dark Knight with Knuckle Lore and Natural Talent dealing all of the damage and the other three characters were dedicated to making him not be dead.

• Locked thread