Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

"If you don't monetize something that is important and you monetize a bunch of stuff that's not important, you are kinda rewarding yourself to not actually say anything"

I have no idea what he means by this. He didn't really explain why he monetized that video he just went on about how you should post stuff you care about.

Fake talk: I think he's trying to say you need to monetarily reward yourself for saying good/meaningful things.

Real talk: He's doing everything he can to justify it and keep the ads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I guess he thinks that by not monetising "important" things, he is removing the incentive to make those things at all, so there won't be as many important things. That's all I can think, but that's some incredibly warped logic and also really stupid.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Fake talk: I think he's trying to say you need to monetarily reward yourself for saying good/meaningful things.

Real talk: He's doing everything he can to justify it and keep the ads up.

If he was moderately intelligent he'd write it off by saying "Oh, I donated last month's ad revenue to a Parkinson's Disease research group." But since he's a YouTube SuperStar he'd probably make 2 or 3 videos bragging about how awesome he was for doing it to make the money back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some YouTube superstar should use this as a springboard for going full Senator Armstrong on YouTube ads. But in a good way.

"I'm using the business of YouTube ads... To end YouTube ads as a business!"

edit: "I'll rid these channels of pointless monetization, Jack."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TARDISman posted:

Pretty loving dumb obviously, since he operates under the assumption that everything should be monetized, as long as it's used for "good stuff." Also HA, he links the hot Asian girl video right after he says "Stuff you really believe in."

I certainly believe in boobies.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That excuse is a mess. So he cries over a stars death (and has most likely never met Robin before in his life) and therefore he's entitled to monetize it. Can he remove the ads if the video's posted already?

Seems like the easiest way to get out of this would be to say "Sorry flipping off the ads was the last thing on my mind when posting this" and take the ads off.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

slowbeef posted:

Don't worry, he made a video explaining why he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3pG5Avrmus

Keywords: "Do good stuff, Robin Williams, Toby turner, Tobuscus, I love you, Rip Robin Williams"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Keywords: "Do good stuff, Robin Williams, Toby turner, Tobuscus, I love you, Rip Robin Williams"

Will doing good stuff make me look like Tobuscus? Cause if so, I'm going to stop.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You're all talking about him and he's making money on the stupid drama. I don't think he's dumb at all.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

Can he remove the ads if the video's posted already?

Yeah. Sometimes there's weird things with partnerships and re-enabling ads, but you can take them off after the fact. See: Machinima partners removing midrolls after Machinima loaded them up.

Jordan7hm posted:

You're all talking about him and he's making money on the stupid drama. I don't think he's dumb at all.

I don't think the negative PR is worth it. He's making bank regardless; this really can only hurt him if you're talking about it from a financial standpoint. Maybe some short-term gain, but it's not enough for the possible long-term loss and I don't know that this nets him new followers. Maybe it does.

I don't think he's stupid like "how does he put on his shoes in the morning???" but I think if he'd done this without the ads, he'd get the same positive effect.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't watch the "Do Good Stuff" video since I'm at work, but that thumbnail tells me all I need to know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jordan7hm posted:

People who post poo poo like this make me frustrated. On the one hand, yes, you're right, people are now talking about Toe Buscemi or whatever and clicking on the dumb video, but on the other hand, that is not an excuse to go "heh guess HE'S the clever one :smuggo:" because he's not, he's still an idiot and a dick. Just a lucrative idiot and dick.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
And that's how you get to share a stage with Aisha Tyler.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Guys, I think you're missing the point. This is indeed how you mourn over dead celebrities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szYRm2SLGqI

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

General Ironicus posted:

And that's how you get to share a stage with Aisha Tyler.

I think these videos would be vastly improved by Aisha Tyler showing up out of nowhere to make fun of him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

People who post poo poo like this make me frustrated. On the one hand, yes, you're right, people are now talking about Toe Buscemi or whatever and clicking on the dumb video, but on the other hand, that is not an excuse to go "heh guess HE'S the clever one :smuggo:" because he's not, he's still an idiot and a dick. Just a lucrative idiot and dick.

It also assumes that people actually watched his video(s). I didn't :smuggo:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

slowbeef posted:

I don't think the negative PR is worth it. He's making bank regardless; this really can only hurt him if you're talking about it from a financial standpoint. Maybe some short-term gain, but it's not enough for the possible long-term loss and I don't know that this nets him new followers. Maybe it does.

I don't think he's stupid like "how does he put on his shoes in the morning???" but I think if he'd done this without the ads, he'd get the same positive effect.

Do you really think there's long term loss here?

I don't think it nets him new followers, but I doubt it loses him any either. It's just another way to get people talking about him, which is absolutely a positive thing for him. The content of that conversation doesn't really matter that much.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Guys, I think you're missing the point. This is indeed how you mourn over dead celebrities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szYRm2SLGqI

That pain elemental is just adorable.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Now, I know this is probably a bit "uncouth" in light of recent tragedies... but I have to point out: when me and my guys did an LP of The Golden Compass, we mentioned Roger Ebert, who would pass less than a week after recording. Recently, we did a stream of Sega games and mentioned Robin Williams, who, again, passed in a very short amount of time after we recorded. If you want to give me money to use this Satanic Magic we possess, feel free to drop me a line.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

judge reinhold posted:

Now, I know this is probably a bit "uncouth" in light of recent tragedies... but I have to point out: when me and my guys did an LP of The Golden Compass, we mentioned Roger Ebert, who would pass less than a week after recording. Recently, we did a stream of Sega games and mentioned Robin Williams, who, again, passed in a very short amount of time after we recorded. If you want to give me money to use this Satanic Magic we possess, feel free to drop me a line.

You ever make fun of PewDiePie in your stuff?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

Do you really think there's long term loss here?

I don't think it nets him new followers, but I doubt it loses him any either. It's just another way to get people talking about him, which is absolutely a positive thing for him. The content of that conversation doesn't really matter that much.

Honestly, yeah. If he's not trying to ride a news trend (hence tagging it "robin williams" four times), and he's not getting new followers out of it, I'd argue he'd get the same financial effect from four or so other less controversial vlogs. I think long-term, this only hurts his image.

But his fans love him so much, realistically, it'll probably have no effect outside of a view bump that he could've gotten anyway with filler content. So yeah. I still think it's a bad move and I won't be doing any 20-second monetized Ferguson videos anytime soon.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
On the opposite end of the monetization spectrum, I've been bitched out for running ads and "making money" on dumb videos on my garbage video channel even though I have ads and monetization off in every setting I can manage to find in Youtube's mangled interface. If there's ads on a video, they sure as hell aren't mine, but I'm still getting crap for it. Now why does Toby get special treatment, with an answer that isn't "his audience is insane"?

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
I know a lot of people are upset over Robin William's death. He was a great comedian and actor, and I have a lot of fond childhood memories of him. Everyone has their own way of dealing with the news.

A shame that Toby decided that his way of dealing with it is to make a lovely 19 second video of him trying to convince you that, yes, he is sad. I'm sure he's not so sad now, since he already has almost a million views on this piece of poo poo, which I'm assuming has paid him quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't think the doubt of those who watch this video will set his channel on fire. He already has a huge, established fanbase that will continue to watch his stuff, unless he does something extremely bad. Keeping ads on a video (even really lovely ones that capitalize on someone's death) is something people will likely forget about in a week or so.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

judge reinhold posted:

I'll give you a steam trading card if you kill gaben.

Cheez posted:

On the opposite end of the monetization spectrum, I've been bitched out for running ads and "making money" on dumb videos on my garbage video channel even though I have ads and monetization off in every setting I can manage to find in Youtube's mangled interface. If there's ads on a video, they sure as hell aren't mine, but I'm still getting crap for it. Now why does Toby get special treatment, with an answer that isn't "his audience is insane"?

His audience is large and insane.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

I'll give you a steam trading card if you kill gaben.

His audience is large and insane.

Either way, it was a jack move to make that video.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Well this is cool. There's now an argument in the comment section about whether Robin Williams dying is worse than the poo poo happening in Gaza, and the genocide in Iraq. THE PHILOSOPHICAL DEBATE BROUGHT UP BY TOBY TURNER'S 19 SECOND VIDEO TOTALLY JUSTIFIES AD REVENUE, YO.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Color Printer posted:

I think these videos would be vastly improved by Aisha Tyler showing up out of nowhere to make fun of him.

She should slip it in as a Scene From A Hat on the next season of Whose Line.

"Worst way to pay tribute to a deceased celebrity"

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Maybe Valkhorn could get more views if he made a video of him fake crying about Robin Williams. Maybe get up to 50 views. Amirite or what??

Seriously though, that's a really despicable thing to do. I can't watch the videos while I'm at work, but I'll take a look (with ad block on) when I get home and post if I have anything to contribute.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Youtube celebrities are for the most part terrible. I'd call then sellouts but I'm not sure if that qualifies if they never were any good to begin with. :shrug:

Fake edit:
I was at a con a few weeks ago and Arrowhead was there demoing a few games. Me and this other guy decided to check out this co-op game called Helldivers (which was really awesome). There was a kid there who can't have been more than 13 years old playing with us and the way he talked and was mimicking bad LPers so hard and I find that the "culture", or whatever the hell you want to call it, has such a big impact on people really weird.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

gatz posted:

Maybe Valkhorn could get more views if he made a video of him fake crying about Robin Williams. Maybe get up to 50 views. Amirite or what??

Be prepared to receive a stern PM from Valkhorn now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What does this Platinum user stuff mean?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It is a person who has purchased the platinum forums upgrade for access to PMs and broken search and possibly other things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

We also get some other perks like probation protections, access to the private servers when SA is down for maintenance, and the monthly e-newsletter.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Great, now everybody knows I'm a cheapass.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

We also get some other perks like probation protections, access to the private servers when SA is down for maintenance, and the monthly e-newsletter.
I just hate that it's a monthly fee :sigh: The post police are always trying to keep a poster down.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I wasn't gonna mention those. It seemed mean to be lording over the poors so much.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cheez posted:

Great, now everybody knows I'm a cheapass.

I thought the lack of an Avatar was telling enough. :smuggo:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RareAcumen posted:

e: nevermind

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 16, 2014

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How long until youtube celebrities start going out in balls of flame like "real" celebrities do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

How long until youtube celebrities start going out in balls of flame like "real" celebrities do?

PewDiePie getting arrested for DUI and going into rehab would be just kinda funny.

• Locked thread