Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Man, pretty much every time I read new replies in this thread it's just :smith:

To me, The Lumia Icon blows away the iPhone in everything except the Apps department (although it has its fair share of good apps) and has more personality than Android, I'm a staunch Windows user since the DOS days after giving OSX an honest try (never had a problem with Vista or Windows 8), enjoy all the XBox systems, and frequently use my Zune while everyone and their dog has an iPod.

I love Microsoft and just wish they would get to a point where I don't have to feel embarrassed and / or have to inadvertely apologize for using and enjoying their products.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

I love Microsoft and just wish they would get to a point where I don't have to feel embarrassed and / or have to inadvertely apologize for using and enjoying their products.

This is where I am with it. I will readily, happily, and zealously defend my choices of phone and tablet but I really wish I didn't have to do it as frequently as I do. :smith:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

This is where I am with it. I will readily, happily, and zealously defend my choices of phone and tablet but I really wish I didn't have to do it as frequently as I do. :smith:

Hilariously this is exactly the spot that Mac users were in when their market share was around 3%. That's all but gone away once they hit 10%. Unfortunately WP market share is falling currently (from 2.9%) and not likely to change for the short future.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly. While we were hoping and trying back with WP7, Since WP8, it has been an uphill battle that Microsoft keeps tripping itself on again and again.

I have yet since 2010 see Microsoft Announce, and Launch a new Phone or Update that doesn't take >6 Months from announcement to actual availability. You would think Owning Nokia now they could actually do it for once.

I am still a fan, but I am on Sprint, and the G3 is 10X nicer than a Samsung Ativ S or the HTC 8XT and I really doubt we are getting an HTC W8.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'm sure there's truth to the "not being sold" angle, but even as a WP apologist, I have to admit it's pretty clear that the abysmal market share numbers fall mostly at Microsoft's feet. They're just so freakin' slow and lumbering and act like they're in a comfortable position where they can take their time and sales numbers will just start to happen. "Just wait till the next version" is practically WP's tagline, and has been since 2010.

This is basically why I jumped ship last month to Android. The 8.1 Dev Preview update to my phone hammered the battery on my 8X, leaving it almost useless unless it was plugged in. I needed a reasonably priced replacement until my early upgrade is available on contract at the end of this month. I could have got a Lumia 520 or something, but the Moto G seemed too good a chance to pass up to see how Android works on phones these days.

Last time I used Android was in January 2012, just before I got the Lumia 800. At that time, WP 7.5 wasn't as fully featured as either iOS or Android, but I forgave this because I loved the handset itself and the WP design aesthetic and UX fluidity. I was hopeful that, within a year or two, WP would reach feature parity with the other platforms and the niggles would melt away. It's now 29 months later and WP continues to lag behind. 8.1 was a good update, but it was a year too late and the ongoing bullshit between Microsoft and Google (even though I regard Google as the wankers here) doesn't help. Same for the US-centric features of Bing. America is not the world, and I know Android and iOS sometimes gradually roll things out to different territories, but Microsoft takes it to extremes.

Yeah, things are better, but they're not good enough.

A few people have asked me over the past year or two if they should consider Windows Phones as an upgrade option. Even after two and half years using it, I still haven't been able to recommend WP over iOS or Android to anyone. That's another two years that these people won't touch WP. There are too many things, maybe small things, that Android and iOS users take for granted that can't be done with Windows Phone, whether it's Chromecasting or a hundred other similar examples I can't think of right now.

Like most of the goons here, I really want WP to succeed and excel, but nearly 4 years in we seem to be making little progress. Using the Moto G for the past month, I do miss the fluidity of my HTC 8X's UI and UX, and the Windows Phone OS itself seems more stable and less prone to slowdowns than Android 4.4. But sadly those are things I'm willing to trade for the comfort of knowing I'm not relying on Microsoft to catch up. I can't console myself with waiting on the next version for the platform to make sense for me.

I'm probably going to get a Sony Xperia Z3 or Z3 Compact next month, so that's me out of the WP for 2 years, after over 2.5 years of using it. I wish I knew it would still be around the next time I'm due an upgrade :smith:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thinking back to when Windows Mobile had a lot of the market share before iOS even became a big player, if they would have just ReSkinned Windows Mobile 7, and ran it on the hardware that had just started to roll out with the like of the HD2 and such, it could have maintained a presence and had nearly all the features Android has now.

Instead they did a reboot, that looked good, but was way more limited, then hey, lets Reboot again!

:negative:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

EdEddnEddy posted:

You would think Owning Nokia now they could actually do it for once.

back in the old Nokia days, 6 months was a fast turnaround from announce to launch

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Dr Tran posted:

back in the old Nokia days, 6 months was a fast turnaround from announce to launch

People are more impatient today. Waiting 6 months from announcement to launch allows for peoples attentions to be diverted to other phones.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Mobile tech moves fast enough that 6 months is a somewhat significant amount of time.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Given that both the Xbox One and Windows itself are now on one month update cycles, yeah, it's pretty telling that Windows Phone is still on the six month cycle. I'm probably sticking with my Lumia 820 for a while since I'm not on a contract (I would probably have stuck with my Omnia 7 for a bit longer if it hadn't started crashing much more frequently while loading some websites), but I don't know what OS the phone I get after that will be running. And by that time, Windows Phone will probably no longer exist as a separate product, it'll just be Windows (RT) 9 with a dialer app.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
It's so awkard when customers come into my store, look at the ATT Lumias, and ask "so what's the latest and greatest?"

... uhhh, this one came out 10 months ago.... And then this one... well it came out 14 months ago. And here's a 925 which is essentially a 920 that came out 22 months ago... oh gently caress it; here's a really neat prepaid phone for you that just came out!

Not only that, but the 1020 and 1520 are completely polarizing to customers.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Venusy posted:

Given that both the Xbox One and Windows itself are now on one month update cycles, yeah, it's pretty telling that Windows Phone is still on the six month cycle.

It was 3.5 months between 8.1 and 8.1 update (or whatever they're calling it). Any faster and they'll be releasing updates faster than carriers can 'test' them.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
So I downloaded the Awful Music app and I'm liking it so far. Are there any music apps like PowerAmp (Android) on Windows Phone yet? I really loved the ability to just surf folders instead of ARTIST/ALBUM/GENRE/poo poo NOBODY SEARCHES FOR.

Rent posted:

It's so awkard when customers come into my store, look at the ATT Lumias, and ask "so what's the latest and greatest?"

... uhhh, this one came out 10 months ago.... And then this one... well it came out 14 months ago. And here's a 925 which is essentially a 920 that came out 22 months ago... oh gently caress it; here's a really neat prepaid phone for you that just came out!

Not only that, but the 1020 and 1520 are completely polarizing to customers.
How so? I've had my 1520 for a few weeks now after switching from Android and I'm loving it. I miss some specific apps but nothing major really.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 16, 2014

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Grey Fox V2 posted:

How so? I've had my 1520 for a few weeks now after switching from Android and I'm loving it. I miss some specific apps but nothing major really.

I'd guess the size. It's too big for me to use, but at least here in Australia I had the option of getting the 930 instead.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Krinos posted:

I'd guess the size. It's too big for me to use, but at least here in Australia I had the option of getting the 930 instead.

Two things people always say, "Wow that phone is way too big" and "that camera bump would be such a pain."

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Two things people always say, "Wow that phone is way too big" and "that camera bump would be such a pain."

I got a 1520 a couple months ago and I think it's technically the best WP phone out so far (besides the 930, I guess). I used to scoff and roll my eyes at the size, but I've come around. Now my old 920 and other "normal" sized phones feel small. Granted, I am 6'3 and would certainly feel differently if I were smaller.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

EdEddnEddy posted:

Thinking back to when Windows Mobile had a lot of the market share before iOS even became a big player, if they would have just ReSkinned Windows Mobile 7, and ran it on the hardware that had just started to roll out with the like of the HD2 and such, it could have maintained a presence and had nearly all the features Android has now.
That's exactly what Windows 6.5 (I assume you meant Windows Mobile 6, not 7) was - a basic reskinning. And it was loving awful, because the underlying OS & API's had barely changed. So go into settings and especially apps you would be hit with the arachaic Windows 6x interface which focused on pen input. You couldn't bring Windows 6.x into the modern world with just a reskinning. A teardown was necessary, but as usual MS somewhat gets the strategy but fucks up the implementation details so badly that having any sort of "vision" really doesn't matter.

quote:

Instead they did a reboot, that looked good, but was way more limited, then hey, lets Reboot again!

:negative:
Dumbest thing they did during that reboot was to focus almost entirely on consumer needs and completely ignore the enterprise.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That's exactly what Windows 6.5 (I assume you meant Windows Mobile 6, not 7) was - a basic reskinning. And it was loving awful, because the underlying OS & API's had barely changed. So go into settings and especially apps you would be hit with the arachaic Windows 6x interface which focused on pen input. You couldn't bring Windows 6.x into the modern world with just a reskinning. A teardown was necessary, but as usual MS somewhat gets the strategy but fucks up the implementation details so badly that having any sort of "vision" really doesn't matter.

Dumbest thing they did during that reboot was to focus almost entirely on consumer needs and completely ignore the enterprise.

Actually there was an Internal build of Windows Mobile 7 Before the Windows Phone 7 Metro style and complete rewrite happened. Only a little leaked out but it looked promising while still having a bit of the old Windows Mobile feel.

Sure it was still clunky, but after a few true build it might have come around. The thing is even though the apps were a throw back to the old style a lot of the time, at least it had a pretty big selection of apps for the OS to start with. Going to Windows Phone 7, Everything started fresh which would have been ok, if they would have just ran with it and not Rebooted 2 years later, again.

And another thing from Microsoft that has been getting to me, IE11 on Desktop. Why in the hell can they say it can handle 100 tabs, yet when I go a single one over 35 every single tab stops rendering the page that was already there so it becomes a blank screen. You can drop down from full screen and it might appear, but usually it is just broken until you close enough tabs or the one memory hog tab and things start rendering again. WTF I thought we were past this after IE8,9,10. :psyduck:

Giving Opera Next a shot, so far no issues. Opera was my go to standby back when I was stuck on an XP work computer.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 16, 2014

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

I got a 1520 a couple months ago and I think it's technically the best WP phone out so far (besides the 930, I guess). I used to scoff and roll my eyes at the size, but I've come around. Now my old 920 and other "normal" sized phones feel small. Granted, I am 6'3 and would certainly feel differently if I were smaller.

That is fine for tech savvy goons but the average consumer, the largest consumer of smart phones, are turned off by it.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Microsoft will probably keep Windows Phone around as a patent donkey. Just develop a lot of tech, patent it and push it to market in a phone. Then charge other companies tons of money to licence your patents for their (Android) phones. If I'm not mistaken that's actually making them more money than actual Windows Phones right now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AtomD posted:

Microsoft will probably keep Windows Phone around as a patent donkey. Just develop a lot of tech, patent it and push it to market in a phone. Then charge other companies tons of money to licence your patents for their (Android) phones. If I'm not mistaken that's actually making them more money than actual Windows Phones right now.

You don't need a product on shelves to hold patent rights.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I just remember how arrogant they were and the "because we said so" type responses they would have for missing features. Like when WP7 first launched and they tried to convince everyone that people don't need copy and paste on a phone.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

I just remember how arrogant they were and the "because we said so" type responses they would have for missing features. Like when WP7 first launched and they tried to convince everyone that people don't need copy and paste on a phone.

Just part of MS's cargo culting of Apple.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
My favorite Apple moment being their commercial on how your thumb can't reach on phones larger than theirs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Venusy posted:

Given that both the Xbox One and Windows itself are now on one month update cycles, yeah, it's pretty telling that Windows Phone is still on the six month cycle.
Want your mind blown? Apparently Microsoft will release a CTP of Windows 9 next month.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So I downloaded the Awful Music app and I'm liking it so far. Are there any music apps like PowerAmp (Android) on Windows Phone yet? I really loved the ability to just surf folders instead of ARTIST/ALBUM/GENRE/poo poo NOBODY SEARCHES FOR.

Polarizing in the sense that it's 6" and the other is a 41mp camera with a huge camera hump on it. Those are two extreme features that people will either love or hate. There's no middle ground. I have a 1520 and love it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Venusy posted:

To be fair phones are completely different from Desktops/Game consoles. You have to deal with OEMs, Carriers, and massive QA. You have marketing windows (got to show the new features), you have development out reach (have to explain to developers how to use the new API), you have to train you're sales staff, and the carriers how the changes are beneficial. People want phones to mostly "just work" and don't actually want changes that are radical or fast. There were tons of stories of people furious about an Android Upgrade from Gingerbread to ICS that dramatically changed the way the phones worked.

Apple runs on a 1 year cycle and Google runs on around a 1 year cycle.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

No no no, Win Mobile had to die. Everything ran all the time and required massive management of processes. It also was still pen focused which would have been completely inappropriate for a touch based OS.

I was an early WP adopter/developer and the second generation Win Phone 7 handsets was probably when MS was in the best position (I had a Lumia 710 and it was a pretty decent experience). The phones ran well did most everything and were pretty snappy. Apps were starting to get there and you could make money.

Then they did a total reboot again, devs didn't feel like waiting for the third reboot so everyone jumped ship. Now Threshold/Win 9 will likely be a third reboot even though now we have universal apps there still is significant differences between the platforms Desktop/Metro/WP under the hood.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Now Threshold/Win 9 will likely be a third reboot even though now we have universal apps there still is significant differences between the platforms Desktop/Metro/WP under the hood.

From a developers prospective, that's not true. The API changes between Silverlight and WinRT were not massive; and you can still make Windows Phone 8.1 apps in Silverlight if you really want to. The views between WP and Windows 8 may need to be different (as one would expect for different platforms), but the actual code writing is exactly the same. I would argue that writing Windows Phone and Windows 8 apps right now is easier than it ever has before. And with Xamarin tools being quite excellent (if you can afford them), all your C# skills can bring not only Windows Phone/Windows 8 apps, but also iOS and Android apps with the same base code. Right now is an awesome time to know C#. WinRT is miles ahead of where Silverlight and WPF were. And I'm really happy that Threshold will bring Metro to the desktop, which makes it much easier to actually use some of these apps I write when I'm not on a tablet.

The big reason you're not seeing a big rush of development is because there are just not enough users to justify it. And the apps you end up getting tend to be hobby apps by those working on many other things (myself), or people doing "MY FIRST APP" stuff, which is flooding the store right now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Stick100 posted:

No no no, Win Mobile had to die. Everything ran all the time and required massive management of processes. It also was still pen focused which would have been completely inappropriate for a touch based OS.

I was an early WP adopter/developer and the second generation Win Phone 7 handsets was probably when MS was in the best position (I had a Lumia 710 and it was a pretty decent experience). The phones ran well did most everything and were pretty snappy. Apps were starting to get there and you could make money.

Then they did a total reboot again, devs didn't feel like waiting for the third reboot so everyone jumped ship. Now Threshold/Win 9 will likely be a third reboot even though now we have universal apps there still is significant differences between the platforms Desktop/Metro/WP under the hood.

I'm still running a 710. I was holding off on buying a replacement until some decent announcements. (Un)fortunately no such luck, so I'll stick with my aging phone for another year at least. I'm really starting to notice the age now though, it's even refusing to load embedded youtube movies these days. Not that I used that feature much anyway, it's just a bit annoying whenever I do want to use it. :shrug:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rent posted:

Polarizing in the sense that it's 6" and the other is a 41mp camera with a huge camera hump on it. Those are two extreme features that people will either love or hate. There's no middle ground. I have a 1520 and love it.

Pretty much this. A lot of people I had spoke with thought the 1020 was a huge gimmick with that camera up until you showed them the type of digital zooming you could do, or cropping pictures. And the reactions to the 1520 were either "that's way too loving big" to "drat that is a sweet phone". I'm surprised that that phone caught so much positive attention for it being bigger than even most Android phones, maybe even becoming the Windows Phone flagship leader.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

I'm surprised that that phone caught so much positive attention for it being bigger than even most Android phones, maybe even becoming the Windows Phone flagship leader.

That's probably almost entirely due to it having specs that somewhat compete with flagship Android phones on a technical level. When it came out, everything else was running 1-to 2-year-old hardware. At least, that's why I got mine - if something like the 930 were out on AT&T at the time, I would have gone for that, and even it isn't exactly new hardware.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So along with awful battery life I am noticing my 1020 runs hot from time to time. Dunno what causes it, just that it will be in my pocket for a bit, I reach in and grab it, and it's very very warm. Neither were a problem prior to the dev 8.1 update, if anyone has any ideas.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Organizing music by folders is dumb and limited, fix your metadata.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Darth TNT posted:

I'm still running a 710. I was holding off on buying a replacement until some decent announcements. (Un)fortunately no such luck, so I'll stick with my aging phone for another year at least. I'm really starting to notice the age now though, it's even refusing to load embedded youtube movies these days. Not that I used that feature much anyway, it's just a bit annoying whenever I do want to use it. :shrug:

I find myself missing my Lumia 900 from time to time. How much stuff (app wise) still supports 7.X?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The only apps I ever bother using on my Samsung Focus running 7.8, which is running SIM-less for music playing duties with Zune, is NextGen Reader and the Awful app. (Then again, those are the only apps I ever use on my Lumia 920.) Both are out of date though NextGen Reader is still stable and has feature parity with the WP8 version. The Awful app on the other hand is dated and not terribly stable.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Maneki Neko posted:

I find myself missing my Lumia 900 from time to time. How much stuff (app wise) still supports 7.X?

They just announced that skype will no longer work soon in 7.x and even Android 2.2. That's a "game changer" type of app if you use it.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So along with awful battery life I am noticing my 1020 runs hot from time to time. Dunno what causes it, just that it will be in my pocket for a bit, I reach in and grab it, and it's very very warm. Neither were a problem prior to the dev 8.1 update, if anyone has any ideas.

I'm the same, battery drains at 9% per hour idle, even after disabling most of the background tasks. I have to run my 1020 in Battery Saver mode all the time to get the drain down to 3% / hour without doing anything.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If you're using dev preview it isn't optimized for battery/CPU usage according to various sources.

Use the official release if available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Doomsday Jesus posted:

If you're using dev preview it isn't optimized for battery/CPU usage according to various sources.

Use the official release if available.

Check for update shows nothing. I think it's out for ATT now though. Anyway to roll back from the dev release?