Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh your right, it's Reaper Autos that are twin linked. drat, oh well.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/clockwork/latest/77177#detail/77177_p_1_mj

Was suggested as the starting body for the maulerfiends.

Goal is to build 3 to 4 with bits and such for 100$ and still have it be decent looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
However the vast majority of sales beyond the starter stuff are driven by what is good in the game, surely?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Surely.

My point is, when it is your strong belief that reducing the amount of information available on a product will increase its sales, it is time to reexamine your product.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its not the first time theyve given a guy who just knows how to sell stuff a store. He'll get sacked in 3 months when he isnt selling anything and can't understand why.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

serious gaylord posted:

Speaking as someone that really likes the Dark Angel Flyers, being told I was retarded to buy one because 'its bad in the game' kind of annoys me because I'm never going to use it in a game so what do I care?

Certainly there are players, such as yourself, that essentially don't play the game and just collect/paint minis; they are a non-trivial part of GW's audience.

However, I think the majority of people, by a significant percentage, at least play the game casually- hence why the game has rules and stats and stuff and isn't just a bunch of pretty sculptures. For those people, having an extremely cool unit with extremely underwhelming rules is a big disappointment. Whatever the fluff may say, however awesome that unit might look on your shelf, when you lay it down on the tabletop and it gets blasted to pieces on the first turn or assaults something and gets torn to shreds or spends the whole game wandering towards the enemy without ever accomplishing anything, it's extremely discouraging.

I can't prove that codices where most of the selections are worth fielding sell better, but that would be my intuition on the subject and it certainly makes the game friendlier to new players.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Fortunately for all of us, "being good in the game" and "looking great as a model" are not mutually exclusive concepts, and Games Workshop should be making kits that are both.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm not denying that kits that are better in the game sell more. I just find it a bit offensive to be called retarded for buying something thats 'rubbish'.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The solution is to not get so easily offended.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not denying that kits that are better in the game sell more. I just find it a bit offensive to be called retarded for buying something thats 'rubbish'.

Wait, the guy actually called you a retard?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

ijyt posted:

The solution is to not get so easily offended.
The solution is not to wear so revealing clothes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Vulkans just gone up for purchase.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hey, how is the new edition working out? I'm considering cashing out my chaos space marine army and kinda wanna know if I'd be missing out on anything awesome.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

Speaking as someone that really likes the Dark Angel Flyers, being told I was retarded to buy one because 'its bad in the game' kind of annoys me because I'm never going to use it in a game so what do I care?
I feel like this is a problem they could overcome by training their sales people not to be tools. If a sales guy was pushing kit X because it was awesome and I want to buy kit Y, he shouldn't ever tell me it's terrible, just maybe that kit X is really good anyway. But you know, social skills among nerds is kind of a crapshoot anyway.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

simsense cumshots posted:

Hey, how is the new edition working out? I'm considering cashing out my chaos space marine army and kinda wanna know if I'd be missing out on anything awesome.

Probably the best yet to be honest.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

SRM posted:

I feel like this is a problem they could overcome by training their sales people not to be tools. If a sales guy was pushing kit X because it was awesome and I want to buy kit Y, he shouldn't ever tell me it's terrible, just maybe that kit X is really good anyway. But you know, social skills among nerds is kind of a crapshoot anyway.

Pretty much this. "Just a heads up, the rules for that model can make it difficult to field. It really is a great looking piece though. If you're looking for something more competitive I prefer model X, but that's up to how you play. Which would you like me to ring you up for?"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

I was told a story about a GW staffer who absolutely loved Skaven, and as such he'd push it on everyone that walked in the door. You like Bretonians? Well they get easily beaten by skaven by THIS COMBO etc.

Its real bad to have super fans as staff members.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Goonhams, unless your goal is to have desert dick until the day you die please so not buy warhams shirts. Please, don't. Unless you're already married to a saint or you intend to wear the shirt while doing yard work or to bed, please, please don't.

:can:

If your game can't eclipse the wearing of nerd shirts every now and again, you got bigger problems than nerd shirts.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

I was told a story about a GW staffer who absolutely loved Skaven, and as such he'd push it on everyone that walked in the door. You like Bretonians? Well they get easily beaten by skaven by THIS COMBO etc.

No, it's just real bad to hire for "attitude" over "talent/ability"

Reynold posted:

If your game can't eclipse the wearing of nerd shirts every now and again, you got bigger problems than nerd shirts.

truth

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
He seems like a decent enough bloke at least, but I'm REALLY looking forward to the trainwreck when he has to run an intro game for a new player.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sykic posted:

He seems like a decent enough bloke at least, but I'm REALLY looking forward to the trainwreck when he has to run an intro game for a new player.

He should have gotten training for that at his induction day at head office. Unless this is in the states?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
UK. I won't pretend to know how manager training goes at GW, but I do know that he starts in a week and only knows the very basics of 40K. They seem to have hired him based on sales experience rather than knowledge of the hobby, which isn't really a surprise anymore.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Reynold posted:

Wisdom.

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, that's understandable. I think it's fair to assume staff members will have some knowledge of the product in the first place though. I recall hearing GW employees used to have to actively play 1 or 2 of their games to keep the job.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sykic posted:

UK. I won't pretend to know how manager training goes at GW, but I do know that he starts in a week and only knows the very basics of 40K. They seem to have hired him based on sales experience rather than knowledge of the hobby, which isn't really a surprise anymore.

Ah, He'll have a 2 day induction course at head office where he will be taught the important stuff. They favour recruiting people on their ability as a manager than their game playing skills.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Still, hiring someone who has prior knowledge of the rules would be a better decision. Obviously not a frothing [insert faction here]-lover because that'd just turn people away, but someone with a passion for the hobby in general. As much as I disagree with them at times, I'd rather buy Warhammer stuff from serious gaylord or SRM than some dude who knows nothing about the hobby outside of their quick-start course and hearsay of customers. You know, people who could tell you why Lysander is such a badass or can answer stuff like "Why do Zoanthropes have big heads?".

The kind of person who should be running their stores is someone who would say stuff like this to their customers:

CyberLord XP posted:

"Just a heads up, the rules for that model can make it difficult to field. It really is a great looking piece though. If you're looking for something more competitive I prefer model X, but that's up to how you play. Which would you like me to ring you up for?"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
At my former FLGS there were two guys who work behind the counter depending on the day. One was a fun guy to talk to who played Lovecraft games and Luchador RPGs, the other was a creepy guy who watched Farscape on the tiny TV in the store, walked around barefoot, and pretended you weren't there. The first guy, Mike, would at least engage with customers, say something was cool, or what have you. The second guy would just kind of wait til you left, and never try to sell you anything or help you out as a customer. One day I went in there and a guy was looking for a few bits to convert some Warhammer models. I got him to walk out of there with $200 of Witch Hunters metal models which had been sitting on the shelf for months if not longer.

Naturally, when I tried to get a job there, they turned me down and kept the lame duck on.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Back when the local store in Perth was in Raine Square they would always push whatever was selling poorly, usually Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle. We used to play a game where you take someone new into the store and get them
to describe a 40k army and see whether you'd be recommended Sisters or Dark Eldar. Along the lines of;
"Hey, I'm thinking of getting into 40k"
"Sweet; what sort of Sci Fi stuff do you like?"
"I like big gribbly aliens, like hordes of little scrabbling guys and maybe a couple of big really alien guys, lots of claws and fangs"
"Oh wow you'd really love Dark Eldar. They're evil spiked aliens, plenty of little foot infantry plus flying tanks covered in scythes and claws. Just what you'd like"

It was beautiful. No matter how precisely you'd describe another 40k faction they'd pick up something that tied it into Dark Eldar or Sisters every time.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Karandras posted:

Back when the local store in Perth was in Raine Square they would always push whatever was selling poorly, usually Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle. We used to play a game where you take someone new into the store and get them
to describe a 40k army and see whether you'd be recommended Sisters or Dark Eldar. Along the lines of;
"Hey, I'm thinking of getting into 40k"
"Sweet; what sort of Sci Fi stuff do you like?"
"I like big gribbly aliens, like hordes of little scrabbling guys and maybe a couple of big really alien guys, lots of claws and fangs"
"Oh wow you'd really love Dark Eldar. They're evil spiked aliens, plenty of little foot infantry plus flying tanks covered in scythes and claws. Just what you'd like"

It was beautiful. No matter how precisely you'd describe another 40k faction they'd pick up something that tied it into Dark Eldar or Sisters every time.

"My ideal army is literally Tyranids"
"...or you could remove 'gribbly' and replace it with flying skiffs and gravboards" :catdrugs:

"I like the thought of a bunch of dudes in near-impervious armour"
"Impervious? Nothing's impervious to Disintegrator Cannons!"

"I like low model-count armies"
"Dark Eldar like destroying low model-count armies. Before their first turn"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HiveCommander posted:

Still, hiring someone who has prior knowledge of the rules would be a better decision. Obviously not a frothing [insert faction here]-lover because that'd just turn people away, but someone with a passion for the hobby in general. As much as I disagree with them at times, I'd rather buy Warhammer stuff from serious gaylord or SRM than some dude who knows nothing about the hobby outside of their quick-start course and hearsay of customers. You know, people who could tell you why Lysander is such a badass or can answer stuff like "Why do Zoanthropes have big heads?".

The kind of person who should be running their stores is someone who would say stuff like this to their customers:

If I had to choose a skill set previous sales and manager experience would win over game knowledge every time. It's a lot easier to teach someone the game and the meta than it is the analytical side.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

TheChirurgeon posted:

Going down to my folks' place this weekend to game with ANAmal, Shadow Daishi, Ninja Panda, and a couple other friends. Super psyched about playing on the city table I've been working on, and playing a full-painted game against ANAmal's mans for the first time.

I had a little extra time this week so I whipped up some objectives for the board. These took about two hours total. Have three more in the works, but those aren't painted so they're staying home for now.

Making my own Objectives out of Extra bits is alot of fun.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
"Brother-captain! We must deforest this area before dusk! It is imperative we recover the Despoiler of Pines before sundown!"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Throb Robinson posted:

Making my own Objectives out of Extra bits is alot of fun.

Nice! Yeah it's interesting digging through the bitz box for stuff that will make good markers. I find that this latest round most of the stuff I'm using is from a grab-bag of bitz that I got from my last SA-Mart purchase.

Bonus points if someone can name where the bitz for my Objective I and III markers are from.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nice! Yeah it's interesting digging through the bitz box for stuff that will make good markers. I find that this latest round most of the stuff I'm using is from a grab-bag of bitz that I got from my last SA-Mart purchase.

Bonus points if someone can name where the bitz for my Objective I and III markers are from.

That book's from Inquisitor, and the banner with the skull is from the Chaos Marine icons/accessories sprue, but I'm having trouble placing the rest. Those are some dope objectives though.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

Certainly there are players, such as yourself, that essentially don't play the game and just collect/paint minis; they are a non-trivial part of GW's audience.

However, I think the majority of people, by a significant percentage, at least play the game casually- hence why the game has rules and stats and stuff and isn't just a bunch of pretty sculptures. For those people, having an extremely cool unit with extremely underwhelming rules is a big disappointment. Whatever the fluff may say, however awesome that unit might look on your shelf, when you lay it down on the tabletop and it gets blasted to pieces on the first turn or assaults something and gets torn to shreds or spends the whole game wandering towards the enemy without ever accomplishing anything, it's extremely discouraging.

I can't prove that codices where most of the selections are worth fielding sell better, but that would be my intuition on the subject and it certainly makes the game friendlier to new players.

The other factor that folks haven't really mentioned yet is kids... GW stores are still packed to the rafters with 12-14 year old boys. Many kids don't have a nuanced understanding of the rules and often just pick up whatever looks cool or whatever they can convince their parents to buy for them. I was in the Edinburgh GW and a kid got his his dad to buy him a whole bunch of hobbit stuff! Kids don't know what the gently caress.

Young boys with rich parents still make up a big slice of GWs income. Most of them will grow out of the hobby in two years but for those couple of years they'll convince their folks to buy them all sorts of poo poo.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Cataphract posted:

The other factor that folks haven't really mentioned yet is kids... GW stores are still packed to the rafters with 12-14 year old boys. Many kids don't have a nuanced understanding of the rules and often just pick up whatever looks cool or whatever they can convince their parents to buy for them. I was in the Edinburgh GW and a kid got his his dad to buy him a whole bunch of hobbit stuff! Kids don't know what the gently caress.

Young boys with rich parents still make up a big slice of GWs income. Most of them will grow out of the hobby in two years but for those couple of years they'll convince their folks to buy them all sorts of poo poo.

I'd really be interested in seeing who's buying GW stuff, and what the breakdown is between young kids, highschool kids, college kids, and grumpy 30 year old manchildren. And girls/women of all ages.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
On the one hand I do agree that it's silly to hire managers that don't have at least a halfway decent familiarity with the products they're going to be selling, but on the other hand I also agree that a manager who prevents a sale by telling someone a unit is weak or whatever is in fact a manager who does not deserve their position. They're there to make sure the store makes money, not to lord their grognardiness over their customers as King Warham.

(granted I do know there are many stores that are run by owners who treat it like their personal gaming clubhouse and not an actual business, however these always tend to be independent FLGS, not a chain store like a GW store. But I haven't been in GW store in ages so I dunno, really v:shobon:v)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

Sure, that's absolutely a factor- industries live and die by the new blood they introduce to the game. The flip side of that, though, is if you just take advantage of them to make as much money as possible as soon as possible, you'll kill your long-term growth by driving your potential inductees to the hobby. I mean, plenty of people here in the thread can reminisce about how they started on the game as kids back in their early teenage days- and since then we've spent god-knows how much each and probably attracted at least a handful of folks in each.

Kids are dumb, but even they figure out when they're having their chains yanked and they'll stop coming back.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Gonna try out Skyblight at the bare-minimum level to get a feel for it.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++Twin-Linked Devourer w/ Brainleech Worms
++Wings

Elite:
Zoanthrope 50pts
Venomthrope 45pts

Troops:
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Skyblight Swarm
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++Wings
Hive Crone 155pts
Harpy 140pts
++Twin-linked Heaby Venom Cannon
Harpy 140pts
++Twin-linked Heaby Venom Cannon
10x Gargoyle 60pts
10x Gargoyle 60pts
10x Gargoyle 60pts

It's pretty mean for a 1250pt list, but I want to try it out. A few local players field Knights at that level with decent lists, so I'm in decent company as far as meanness goes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

That book's from Inquisitor, and the banner with the skull is from the Chaos Marine icons/accessories sprue, but I'm having trouble placing the rest. Those are some dope objectives though.

Thanks! You get partial credit for the Inquisitor book -- now there's a game I was excited about but only got to play about 2 games of. The glowing rock is from the bottom half of the staff/spear on the old metal Skaven Vermin Lord.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Nice obscure bit! I painted up the one piece of Inquisitor terrain they made a little while ago. It actually doesn't look wholly out of scale for 40k or anything, it's just that weird foam material so I'm worried about it getting damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

gently caress NECRONS

I had the same problem back when 6th was brand new. Panascope had a radbatical Necron army and all I had was the brand new, slightly better then 5th edition, 6th edition chaos army. Thankfully he didn’t spam fliers, but it was still a tough army with lots of neat gimmicks.

Are you running a juggerlord with the axe of get hosed? Give him some spawn escorts and then collect skulls for the skull throne. With neurons you want to be one of 2 places, either outside of their 24” shooting range, or in melee. Noise marines are great options for troops here since ~115 points gets you a blast master and 5 dudes, which is a 48” small battle cannon shot that ignores cover (so no junk saves). You can shoot that out of a rhino if you like. If you are worried about his flier spam, get a bastion with quad gun and park some havocs ontop with an ammo dump. Chaos has no good anti air options so you should focus on winning the ground war decisively.

Hollismason posted:

I need more options, how do you guys get such good ebay deals.
What’s your email? I’ll walk you through it.

Reynold posted:

List of goons with game:

• Locked thread