Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

SedanChair posted:

Wait, are people trying to say Terry Crews does things that aren't funny?

I'll go H.A.M.

Terry Crews is a genius and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

R. Mute, are you actually from Belgium, or just a Belgophile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kelvron posted:

Terry Crews is a genius and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

If he doesn't respond in the next couple hours, it means he's out doing something racist against Jews, Arabs, or both, which would mean he's a Western European.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i am 99.9% sure that r mute is an individual of the belgian persuasion

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Majorian posted:

If he doesn't respond in the next couple hours, it means he's out doing something racist against Jews, Arabs, or both, which would mean he's a Western European.

That's unfair, he could also be out throwing a dance party for some Romani.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If he's posted anything about a sex dungeon or touching little boys he's probably Belgian.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

R mute you mentioned in the politoons thread that dance party for some Romani that that racist mayor threw, are there any links to read about this? i am mediocre at french if it helps

also my phone recognizes the word politoons now this is not good

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Bob James posted:

Idiocracy is a great movie as long as you approach it as science fiction. Just replace ":techno: ...and now we have faster than light travel!" with ":techno: ...and now we have a society of idiots!"

I thought the joke was that we already ARE the idiots. :confused:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Wait, are people trying to say Terry Crews does things that aren't funny?

I'll go H.A.M.

I like him a lot in Brooklyn 99.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, "safe" in the sense that I heard that somebody might knife me for daring to speak French in the more Flemish areas.
Oh, we're not in that stage yet. At worst they'll refuse to answer you in French, but that treatment is usually spared for actual Walloons. It is possible they won't be able to answer you in French and will switch to English - my French is just... bad, so this is what I usually do.

kelvron posted:

Do Belgophiles even exist? I mean, i live here and i'm not even that fond of it.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

R mute you mentioned in the politoons thread that dance party for some Romani that that racist mayor threw, are there any links to read about this? i am mediocre at french if it helps
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/17/eviction-turned-dance-party-for-roma-in-belgium/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2695839/Gypsies-driven-Belgian-town-DJ-playing-Dire-Straits-blast.html
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2033959

i think these are the original story - later on, the mayor was heavily criticised, the author organisation SABAM demanded money for the unlicensed playing of music and the DJ - DJ Jos - became semi-famous and got to play at the wedding of one of the Roma.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

R. Mute posted:

Do Belgophiles even exist? I mean, i live here and i'm not even that fond of it.

I tried looking for a picture of someone with a room covered in the Tintin equivalent of anime wallscrolls, which I didn't find, but I did find this.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Don't mock my Captain Haddock body pillow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've heard that it was the GBS Robin Williams Goatse pics that made Zelda Williams quit twitter? Anyone know if that's true?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

are kids... :negative:

e: failure percentages per form (only some) per year, public schools only

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Idiocracy has an interesting premise, the execution is just lacking. It has some pretty funny moments, too. Overall, 2.5/5 stars.

I am glad to see people have already stepped up to defend Terry Crews' honor, though; that man is a national treasure.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The problem with Idiocracy is that some people see it as commentary on the intelligence of people lesser than them, and that stupid people should be mocked and regulated lest they destroy our society. Really though Idiocracy is saying that we're all capable of stupidity, for example how we so easily slide into vacant consumerism.

Anyone who thinks it's a grim prediction of the future and not a perception of the grim present doesn't get it. Also it's a loving comedy not biting satire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wHRryA2aw

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

I tried looking for a picture of someone with a room covered in the Tintin equivalent of anime wallscrolls, which I didn't find, but I did find this.

I'll bet Newt Gingrich's bedroom is covered with racist depictions of Africans from "Tintin."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Mike Brown, black Hamas! Mike Brown, black ISIS! Black ebola! Don't you liberals feel silly, your fly is open and your guilt's hanging out! I told you we had to take a firm hand with 'em; but here you come, with "technical school" and "not lynchings" and NOW WILL YOU BEHOLD, HE TOOK SWISHERS. DO YOU SEE HOW ENORMOUS HE WAS, BLACK AL-SHABAB.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Is that a GiP post? Please tell me it's a GiP post.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

R. Mute posted:

Dunno, but I assume every country has their own version of weeaboo. The internet has taught me that nothing is impossible.

Reason I asked is because I inherited all my grandfather's old WWII memorabilia, which includes a lot of pictures he took while stationed in Liege and Tongres. All neatly labeled and dated, because that's how he was. I was planning to do an ask/tell thread about figuring out how to preserve them and getting in contact with anyone who might be interested in copies of the pictures, including historical societies in Belgium.

I figured knowing that there're Belgian Goons might come in handy. Downside is I won't be able to do this until Christmas, since all the stuff is an hour and a half away at my parents' place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Hergé was pretty loving legit. Also pretty loving racist:

(From Tintin in the Congo)

A lot of these were translated into Hebrew and I used to read them as a kid.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hergé was pretty loving legit. Also pretty loving racist:

(From Tintin in the Congo)

A lot of these were translated into Hebrew and I used to read them as a kid.

Hergé's art, and racial positions, did change quite a bit, and for the better, over the whole run of Tintin. While yes, his early works, particularly any that deal with Africa or Asia, tend to be wincingly offensive, he goes out of his way in, for instance, The Castafiore Emerald to stand up for the Roma and show how the European prejudice against them as filthy gyppo thieves is garbage.

Not that that excuses his earlier little black boy Sambo or bucktoothed Japs stuff, but he did get better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not being racist wasn't even a thing until the mid 20th century. Before that, people would think you were crazy if you didn't think that certain races were obviously inferior to other certain races.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

zoux posted:

Not being racist wasn't even a thing until the mid 20th century. Before that, people would think you were crazy if you didn't think that certain races were obviously inferior to other certain races.

Hell, it was scientifically proven!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

kelvron posted:

Dunno, but I assume every country has their own version of weeaboo. The internet has taught me that nothing is impossible.

Reason I asked is because I inherited all my grandfather's old WWII memorabilia, which includes a lot of pictures he took while stationed in Liege and Tongres. All neatly labeled and dated, because that's how he was. I was planning to do an ask/tell thread about figuring out how to preserve them and getting in contact with anyone who might be interested in copies of the pictures, including historical societies in Belgium.

I figured knowing that there're Belgian Goons might come in handy. Downside is I won't be able to do this until Christmas, since all the stuff is an hour and a half away at my parents' place.
I think you've got options, really. There are plenty of archives in the US which would gladly help you out - the national archives, archives of congress, army archives, etc. Here in Belgium you have the Rijksarchief. Both Liège and Tongres have their own archives, but I'd recommend you keep the collection in one piece. Other than that, I did study history here in Ghent - I could probably mail one of the professors there for advice. But I think logistically, it'll probably be easier to just stick to the US.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hergé's art, and racial positions, did change quite a bit, and for the better, over the whole run of Tintin. While yes, his early works, particularly any that deal with Africa or Asia, tend to be wincingly offensive, he goes out of his way in, for instance, The Castafiore Emerald to stand up for the Roma and show how the European prejudice against them as filthy gyppo thieves is garbage.

Not that that excuses his earlier little black boy Sambo or bucktoothed Japs stuff, but he did get better.
Yeah, I think he actually ended up making a point of sending Tintin all over the world specifically to show other cultures in a positive light.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's all kin selection. I know people are down on evo psych round here because of biotruth fuckheads, but you cannot divorce human behavior from our evolutionary heritage.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

eeeeehhhhh depends on how far you take that line of reasoning

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

R. Mute posted:

Yeah, I think he actually ended up making a point of sending Tintin all over the world specifically to show other cultures in a positive light.

Part of that was that people in Belgium in the the early 40s wanted to think about life outside of Western Europe, for some strange reason.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

zoux posted:

It's all kin selection. I know people are down on evo psych round here because of biotruth fuckheads, but you cannot divorce human behavior from our evolutionary heritage.

Yeah, well, I think culture and society (the nurture part) is much more important in terms of explaining racism than an evolutionary heritage (the nature part) and that neither is an excuse.

Then again, I'm not a scientist, but whenever evo psych comes up it reeks of bullshit pseudoscience used to excuse racism or sexism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

eeeeehhhhh depends on how far you take that line of reasoning

this is true with literally everything but as long as you draw a line between describing why people tend to act in a way and saying they should act that way you should be fine. The most important part of human consciousness, imo, is that it lets us break away from our evolutionary heritage unlike any other animal. Being human means rising above our evolutionary heritage, and our consciousness makes us free to act apart from that. (I believe). For argument's sake let's say that the most ridiculous biotruths argument were true, something like women like pink because they evolved to pick berries. Even if that were true, which it isnt, it's only a problem if you say it means that women can only fulfill "gatherer" roles, or that their biological heritage gives them an unavoidable destiny.

Taeke posted:

Yeah, well, I think culture and society (the nurture part) is much more important in terms of explaining racism than an evolutionary heritage (the nature part) and that neither is an excuse.

Then again, I'm not a scientist, but whenever evo psych comes up it reeks of bullshit pseudoscience used to excuse racism or sexism.

Culture is evolutionary, it's how humans replaced instinct. That's why it can be so hard to overcome cultural norms, we're hardwired to obey them. But what worked for hunter gatherers on the veldt doesn't work for modern humans in a global society.

I mean, even if you were to concede that racism is a 100% evolutionary prescribed behavior, that doesn't justify in a moral sense.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 15, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

Part of that was that people in Belgium in the the early 40s wanted to think about life outside of Western Europe, for some strange reason.
I think it was more about Hergé walking on egg-shells what with the whole 'working for the germans' thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I should add that I finished rereading Blindsight so I'm super "what is wired, what is free will, what is consciousness" today.

BTW that is a phenomenal scifi book.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

I should add that I finished rereading Blindsight so I'm super "what is wired, what is free will, what is consciousness" today.

It should be required reading for anyone making Sci-Fi with aliens in it. It's almost totally ruined anything that has humanoid aliens in it for me.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Taeke posted:

I've heard of at least one decent application, but it was partially an explanation for why we have color vision and why we can see the colors we see. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1618887/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

I don't know what your educational background is, but check out some books on neuroplasticity. Still a theory but it's changed my view towards the idea that we're "hard-wired" to do most things.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 15, 2014

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

R. Mute posted:

I think you've got options, really. There are plenty of archives in the US which would gladly help you out - the national archives, archives of congress, army archives, etc. Here in Belgium you have the Rijksarchief. Both Liège and Tongres have their own archives, but I'd recommend you keep the collection in one piece. Other than that, I did study history here in Ghent - I could probably mail one of the professors there for advice. But I think logistically, it'll probably be easier to just stick to the US.

I've scouted out a couple of US places. I know the University of Cincinnati has a project archiving history of the 25th General Hospital (his unit), since they organized the unit. I've only done a cursory pass of the pictures and I know some of them have duplicates. He's got some great ones from an A-26 flight he took with an old college buddy right after VE day. If you're interested, I can PM whenever I get the thread together, which'll probably be late November at the earliest. It'll be half me figuring out what to do with the photos, and half me trying to put together a mini bio of my Grandfather's service during and immediately after WW2. Might even do some side examination of my great uncle's compilation of oral history by the Princeton class of 1942 in the war, or try and figure out the veracity of my grandfather's story about my cousin walking to his unit from Normandy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
'sup, plat club buddies?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Platinum is the only racket where you have to pay to narc instead of getting paid for it.

Thanks Obama. :911:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

'sup, plat club buddies?

:monocle: What's all this then?!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:monocle: What's all this then?!

Rank has its benefits. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hold on while I blow your minds with these Platinum features. Here's an image attachment. It's Obama biking today :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread