Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Greg Jackson posted:

Is he a non-native english speaker because I've witnessed people who prefer to talk on the phone because their written english sucks.

Not that I could tell. That's what I figured at first, but then he left me a VM and I discovered that he sounds like a native english speaker who conducts phone calls while eating the handset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fortis posted:

Not that I could tell. That's what I figured at first, but then he left me a VM and I discovered that he sounds like a native english speaker who conducts phone calls while eating the handset.

Probably has pica. That's why he couldn't email you - ate the keyboard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ratbert90 posted:

I am asking about low level memory management, poo poo that a regular script kiddy wouldn't come near with a 100 foot poll.

You poor, dumb, naive son of a bitch, do you really think this? :eng99:

Anyway, ask on the mailing lists if IRC isn't helping. Make sure that you state your assumptions, ask specific questions, and mention how you've tried searching for the answer already.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Asking for help with basic questions about the mainline kernel is like pulling rabid hens teeth.

Asking about page tables and how they are stored in IRC nets you a bunch of WHY ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT THIS? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT! Repeat that every single loving time you ask anything about the kernel ever.

I understand that there are a shitload of morons out there who want to play hacker with the kernel, but ffs; I am asking about low level memory management, poo poo that a regular script kiddy wouldn't come near with a 100 foot poll.

TLDR: Mainline kernel devs are what pisses me off.

You shouldn't need to touch any of this stuff, and doing so will almost certainly break one of the most sensitive parts of the kernel. Why are you asking about this? What are you doing? There's probably a better way to do it.

The kernel devs zealously protect some parts of the kernel not because it's black magic, but because if you can't read the code and follow it, you probably shouldn't be touching it in the first place, and it's really sensitive (memory management, the auditing subsystem, scheduler, various caches). The complaint from kernel devs isn't that there are a shitload of morons who want to play hacker with the kernel, it's that, like this, they submit never/barely-tested patches without checking for regressions instead of starting somewhere easier. The dev community is actually pretty friendly, but you need to start small and prove your worth (writing device drivers, fixing small bugs here and there) instead of leaping right into the middle of things. It's also pretty documented.

You'll need to answer those questions one way or another and explain why you need to delve into this and why they should hold your hand through it if you want help. What are you trying to do?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

If you're calling any ISP/tech company and not getting their UID (ATT) or something else identifying them right off the bat, you're doing it wrong.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spazz posted:

If you're calling any ISP/tech company and not getting their UID (ATT) or something else identifying them right off the bat, you're doing it wrong.

I had "John" at TWC refuse to give me any identifying information. I probably should have escalated that one.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I had "John" at TWC refuse to give me any identifying information. I probably should have escalated that one.

I immediately ask for a manager if they refuse to give any identifying information. I've done helldesk/call center work before and I would always volunteer my first name immediately, and if they asked for my last name I'd always give it and mention "I'm the only Spazz here."

I used to work for a telco vendor and a huge US cell carrier's regional NOC was notorious for being horrible. It was very common that they would only give first names (or common ones like "John"). Pressing them for information would lead to being hung up on or put in hold purgatory.

There were multiple times I would call to report an FCC reportable E911 outage and they would brush it off. We started just calling their T2 on-call number directly depending on which region was affected because two of the three were horrible.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Comcast is outsourcing a lot of their call center work to lowest cost vendors. For a while they were using Canadians, but lately it is whatever West, Convergys, etc will give them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Comcast is outsourcing a lot of their call center work to lowest cost vendors. For a while they were using Canadians, but lately it is whatever West, Convergys, etc will give them.

I still see a Comcast vinyl banner hanging inside some generic office when I ride the metro into downtown Vancouver. I assume they were those Canadians. :haw:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

You shouldn't need to touch any of this stuff, and doing so will almost certainly break one of the most sensitive parts of the kernel. Why are you asking about this? What are you doing? There's probably a better way to do it.

The kernel devs zealously protect some parts of the kernel not because it's black magic, but because if you can't read the code and follow it, you probably shouldn't be touching it in the first place, and it's really sensitive (memory management, the auditing subsystem, scheduler, various caches). The complaint from kernel devs isn't that there are a shitload of morons who want to play hacker with the kernel, it's that, like this, they submit never/barely-tested patches without checking for regressions instead of starting somewhere easier. The dev community is actually pretty friendly, but you need to start small and prove your worth (writing device drivers, fixing small bugs here and there) instead of leaping right into the middle of things. It's also pretty documented.

You'll need to answer those questions one way or another and explain why you need to delve into this and why they should hold your hand through it if you want help. What are you trying to do?

I can follow the code, but sometimes I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of 30+ layers to get to my answer. And you think I am trying to submit a patch? I am making a module that chews up memory for testing purposes, if that happens to turn into a module that wouldn't make the community wretch in horror then we will release it.

Volmarias posted:

You poor, dumb, naive son of a bitch, do you really think this? :eng99:

Anyway, ask on the mailing lists if IRC isn't helping. Make sure that you state your assumptions, ask specific questions, and mention how you've tried searching for the answer already.

Yeah, I should assume stupidity comes from everywhere. :smith:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

I can follow the code, but sometimes I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of 30+ layers to get to my answer. And you think I am trying to submit a patch? I am making a module that chews up memory for testing purposes, if that happens to turn into a module that wouldn't make the community wretch in horror then we will release it.

No, I don't assume you're trying to submit a patch. I was just asserting that the kernel community is actually incredibly friendly and welcomes patches. The reputation they have as an angry, insular bunch is mostly unjustified from that regard, bug people who shoot a patch off to the lkml and never respond to criticism or comments then complain about how people were mean to them make up most of that impression.

I guess there are a few questions:

First, did you explain what you were trying to do in #linux-kernel? If you did, I'd be surprised if you got "WHY ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT THIS? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT!" over and over.

Second, is there a reason you need to go into the pagetable code? A module which takes ioctls and vmalloc()s memory up would do it just as easily without following that code at all.

Third, if there's a reason why you can't just vmalloc() from a module to handle this, did you try explaining this to the devs, and why?

They don't know you can follow the code and go down 30+ (actually three) layers to get your answer. All they know is that you're some guy who came into #linux-kernel and starting asking questions, and maybe you got your back up when they tried to get a backstory on what you're doing and why you think you need to do it that way. Like every other dev who maintains a large codebase, I'm sure they often encounter people who have latched onto whatever functions they see and crafted an elaborate, 20-step way to get to an end goal when there are easier ways to do it and parts of the codebase which intentionally handle those bits which you haven't seen because you don't write kernel code day in and day out, but they do. Being questioned means they're trying to help, not that they're being dicks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Friend from my old job told me they lost two shared drive to CryptoLocker and since they didn't have backups, they had to pay < $2,000 ransom to get their files back.

L
O
L

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Morales posted:

Friend from my old job told me they lost two shared drive to CryptoLocker and since they didn't have backups, they had to pay < $2,000 ransom to get their files back.

L
O
L

There's a decrypt service already, it's free.

https://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

SEKCobra posted:

There's a decrypt service already, it's free.

https://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/

Shh!! you just made Bob Morales almost morally responsible enough to show them this!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Since he said the ransom was around $2000 I'm assuming it was from when CryptoLocker was relatively new.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That or to everyone at that company except Bob's friend it was $2000 and he's just made a nice cut.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

My boss went ahead and scheduled the delivery and installation of 10 Ricoh MFP's for today. In 2 locations. Without letting me know :\
One of the "technicians" showed up an hour and a half before the hardware arrived, and then promptly left when it finally did arrive. For some reason he was wearing mismatched shoes as well. The other technicians never did show, we finally had to call them to find out they wouldnt be able to make it today.
They've already hauled off the old devices, so now I have about 150 users in 2 different cities that cant print to their default printers. Yay.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Ricoh techs are RETARDED. We had roughly the same number of copiers brought in to update our old Ricoh stuff (it's on a yearly managed serviced contract) and they were calling me literally every twenty minutes for two days straight with asinine questions. At one point, the tech was completely bewildered at a copier that he could not bring online. He told me that he copied the settings exactly from the old copier, but still wasn't getting a connection.

He did copy the settings exactly - including the IP address - of a copier that was still plugged into the network. This is his full time professional job.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

The one poor bastard that got had the misfortune of sticking around is still plugging away down there, he's been setting up the same machine for about 2 hours now. I'm leaving at 5 sharp so he'd better hurry it up :smug:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Re: kernel-talk, responding to a question with other questions is often the sign of a good listener. A disinterested party would either ignore you or give you the fastest answer possible (see: comcast support-chat). Good listeners will ask questions so that they can give you better answers, or, better, help you to determine the best answer.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Well, it appears that our printer tech quit today. Not a big loss as he wasn't very good. Hopefully the next tech the company sends is a bit more competent. Personally, I wish we could ditch this company altogether and bring back OneSource, but I'm just a CJ, so what do I know?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The problem: Our VPN client software isn't doing what we want it to because our firewall's software is three years out of date.

The solution: Upgrade to the new software, as it's supported by our firewall, and the software we're currently running on the firewall was already EOLed anyway.

My boss's solution: Find an older, unsupported version of the VPN client. :cripes:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
One more to add to the "it's all my fault!" list

Meeting request received for Tuesday from someone else
I decline it because I'm not available that day and suggest Wednesday (using Outlook's "decline and suggest another time" feature)
Get a mouthful for not "just picking up the phone and seeing if everyone's available on Wednesday instead of having all these reschedule requests"
GEE SORRY, I didn't realise that if you're not available for a meeting that someone else is organising, that you're supposed to take over the organisation of it for them. I always thought the responsibility of an invitee was to respond with yes or no (with suggesting another time as an additional courtesy as well). Or heaven forbid that if the organiser is so keen on "just picking up the phone" that she'd have done so in the first place then I could've said I'm not available on Tuesday.

gently caress sake, do I have to take the blame for literally everything around here? If someone doesn't wipe their arse am I going to be moaned at for not wiping it for them next?

2015 is looking free in my personal schedule, definitely :yotj: I think before I get fired for the weather or something.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Lesson learned, from now on just decline.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GargleBlaster posted:

One more to add to the "it's all my fault!" list

Meeting request received for Tuesday from someone else
I decline it because I'm not available that day and suggest Wednesday (using Outlook's "decline and suggest another time" feature)
Get a mouthful for not "just picking up the phone and seeing if everyone's available on Wednesday instead of having all these reschedule requests"
GEE SORRY, I didn't realise that if you're not available for a meeting that someone else is organising, that you're supposed to take over the organisation of it for them. I always thought the responsibility of an invitee was to respond with yes or no (with suggesting another time as an additional courtesy as well). Or heaven forbid that if the organiser is so keen on "just picking up the phone" that she'd have done so in the first place then I could've said I'm not available on Tuesday.

gently caress sake, do I have to take the blame for literally everything around here? If someone doesn't wipe their arse am I going to be moaned at for not wiping it for them next?

2015 is looking free in my personal schedule, definitely :yotj: I think before I get fired for the weather or something.

Assuming that people actually give a poo poo at what the outlook calendar says at your org, outlook actually has a really neat feature for showing everyone's schedule side by side, so that you can pick a slot that works for everyone. Of course, it sounds like either they're not using that either, or you didn't mark off Tuesday.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Holy poo poo, they just 180'd on me. My jaw nearly hit the floor. Back in the good books :)

Rollercoasters induce adrenaline, that's the only way I can explain how I've been here so long!

Volmarias posted:

Assuming that people actually give a poo poo at what the outlook calendar says at your org, outlook actually has a really neat feature for showing everyone's schedule side by side, so that you can pick a slot that works for everyone. Of course, it sounds like either they're not using that either, or you didn't mark off Tuesday.

To be fair, I didn't mark off Tuesday, and everyone is a bit "hit and miss" in terms of marking down their appointments as well. For some reason everyone prefers using a shared Excel file for indicating whether they're going to be in or out. We had a go at suggesting a move to Outlook shared calendar once before but everyone was fairly new to it then and deemed it "too complicated". Maybe a job for next week, have another go at that suggestion.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GargleBlaster posted:

Holy poo poo, they just 180'd on me. My jaw nearly hit the floor. Back in the good books :)

Rollercoasters induce adrenaline, that's the only way I can explain how I've been here so long!

To be fair, I didn't mark off Tuesday, and everyone is a bit "hit and miss" in terms of marking down their appointments as well. For some reason everyone prefers using a shared Excel file for indicating whether they're going to be in or out. We had a go at suggesting a move to Outlook shared calendar once before but everyone was fairly new to it then and deemed it "too complicated". Maybe a job for next week, have another go at that suggestion.

:psyduck: you should be using calendaring software for your calendaring!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

GargleBlaster posted:

This is insane. I can't even.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GargleBlaster posted:

Oh my God, if people insist on using a stupid system to mark their availability, then that same system has to be used to coordinate meetings. gently caress, how are people this dumb?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
To be fair, Outlook isn't perfect, but for goodness' sakes it has a button called "Scheduling Assistant". It even works!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You need entitlement from HP to download firmware updates for servers? That is indeed poo poo that pisses me off. Want to repurpose two DL380 G5s we picked up from a bankruptcy as Veeam servers, but they haven't been updated like.. ever.. and now apparently I can't download the firmware because I don't have entitlement :|

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh my God, if people insist on using a stupid system to mark their availability, then that same system has to be used to coordinate meetings. gently caress, how are people this dumb?

One team here needed instructions on how to create and share a calendar between themselves specifically for scheduling vacations. You know, rather than just using their existing calendars in Outlook, which even automatically gives you a "team" calendar group since they're all set up correctly in AD with managers. It's a small department and none of them do anything complicated with their schedules.

Most of the stupid seems to come from their boss though. He's the one that has been sitting on the paperwork to buy our new VM licenses which will replace the ones that expire over the weekend. I can't wait to see how that goes on Monday. :popcorn:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Martytoof posted:

You need entitlement from HP to download firmware updates for servers? That is indeed poo poo that pisses me off. Want to repurpose two DL380 G5s we picked up from a bankruptcy as Veeam servers, but they haven't been updated like.. ever.. and now apparently I can't download the firmware because I don't have entitlement :|

I just visited their site and from poking around, it appears that it only applies to the firmware DVD ISO. The individiual firmware updates that were offered were letting me download without entitlement.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Martytoof posted:

This was done earlier this year "to keep in line with industry practices." This includes the little cube shaped ProLiants that people were buying for a home NAS. Kills the idea of picking up used HP servers but its not like HP has any reason to care about that.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I have a SmartStart DVD I burned when we picked up a couple of these same servers and I'd be willing to send it to you, I'm pretty sure it can update the firmware.

Fake edit: Though I see they haven't locked everything away completely.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Today has been a ton of fun for us.

Me: IT, how can I help you?
Her: I need a technician
Me: What's wrong?
Her: I said I need a technician
Me: I know, but I need to know what's wrong to determine if we need to work on your PC locally or if I have to fix it from here.
Her: It's broken.
Me: How is it broken? Is it the monitor, or the keyboard, or mouse?
Her: I need to connect to a printer. I need a technician.
Me: I can actually connect you to a printer rather quickly over the phone. Are you logged in?
Her: I said I need a technician. I found xxx, I'll talk to him instead. You are worthless. *hangs up*

We have a print server you can connect to via IE and just connect/install the printer from there, set it as default and go to town printing grandma's secret kush recipes to your hearts content. What ever. It doesn't help that most of the people are from the middle east, and they don't want to work with people they don't know. So breaking into this and showing people that I can assist and complete the job has turned into a nightmare because previous techs have been doing what ever they want with out actually resolving issues, just so long as the problem doesn't replicate itself when they are there. If some other tech has to deal with it later on down the road then so be it. Not their problem anymore. So I've been discovering 10/100 cables plugged into systems that needed the new 100/1000 to work properly and these people have been downloading twenty to thirty gig files to work on and it takes them for ever. They complain and bitch and the techs just say that the computer sucks to bad for you. I replace the line to the drop and suddenly they realize that I may actually know what the gently caress I'm doing, but the other techs were FANTASTIC and I should learn from them because they know what they are doing since they've been here for five to ten years.

I love working here, and I'm learning so god drat much it's overwhelming right now, but it blows my mind that they've all managed to get away with the shoddy work they've been doing for so long. I don't want to step on any toes right now so I'm not reporting any of this but holy poo poo the amount of problems that could have been fully resolved months or years ago with basic troubleshooting is staggering.

Ok, I'm feeling better now.

Edit: Reds Wicked Apple ale is pretty good btw. We need more drunk talk.
Edit 2: Just found out that I'm now the printer bitch. FANTASTIC.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 15, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I love working here, and I'm learning so god drat much it's overwhelming right now, but it blows my mind that they've all managed to get away with the shoddy work they've been doing for so long. I don't want to step on any toes right now so I'm not reporting any of this but holy poo poo the amount of problems that could have been fully resolved months or years ago with basic troubleshooting is staggering.

When I first started, there was a ticket from three years ago where "user Y" was "getting a copy of every meeting request user X gets". Reading through the history, they had tried a bunch of different things including going in to AD, finding some crazy delegate variable and nuking that. I clearly remember the last edit was someone saying "I don't know how to fix this at this point". Determined to fix it, I walked over to "user X"'s workstation, opened Outlook, opened delegates, "Hey look, User Y has been added as a delegate and is set to receive a copy of all meeting requests". I guess no one had even thought to ever look at Outlook delegates which should have been the first thing they checked.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GargleBlaster posted:

What the gently caress man do we work in the same place?

Yesterday for funsies my colleague was going to set up a morning breakfast run and get everyones orders in; by using a single excel spreadsheet for records, and a word doc which contained a hyperlink to a menu PDF, all from an open free-for-all folder on the network. Apparently she gave out instructions that people had to E-mail her when ready to access the spreadsheet... I couldn't take the carnage that unfolded five minutes after she hatched that plan, so I at least created a shortcut labelled 'CLICK HERE FOR MENU' which pointed to the web PDF to help her out a little.

Yesterday I found a hard lesson from a CRM consultant meeting to discuss development work; because pretty much no-one had training on any of the systems from the beginning, they've all become ingrained in the their own way of doing things which is ever so slightly wrong, which had the effect of building obtuse systems around this line of thinking. I think when the consultant reports back I'll piggyback it by saying train everyone up to speed first before we start making even more stupid poo poo; Sorry users, I know having to drag outlook attachments to the desktop first, rather than straight into the browser upload window is a colossal failing in company resources, but deal with it.

Then today the phone system shat the bed and was totally inoperable for an hour, and the support phoneline wouldn't pick up; power of the CLOUD, gently caress yeah.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 15, 2014

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I learned that Sharepoint views are very picky about what order you filter things in. One will give a LVT, the other won't. Now I have 10 web parts per site collection (100+) to update either with powershell or by hand.

This... this is why I drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

My company just made it mandatory that you post something to socialcast at least once a week.

gently caress you, social networks, now you're taking over my job too?