Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
"What will Tony Stewart killing a man do to his brand? We'll talk to Darren Rovell but after the break, what would Johnny Manziel say about this and should he dedicate his next game to the memory of Derek Ward? Stephen A. and Skip debate. More First Take after this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

An NFL champion and 5x Pro Bowler turned out to be a serial rapist?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Jackie D posted:

How is it possible to have such a lack of self awareness

I'm pretty sure Rovell is 100℅ aware of what he's doing, and his schtick gets him tons of Twitter followers

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

wow

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think you guys realize that Rovell is in on the joke and that you guys are simply fueling the fire by giving him attention instead of simply completely ignoring it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I don't think you guys realize that Rovell is in on the joke and that you guys are simply fueling the fire by giving him attention instead of simply completely ignoring it.
Actually he's not in on the joke because in the recent past he's gone all Internet Detective on people who gave him poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He didn't used to be but I'm pretty sure he's just steering into the skid now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Pretty sure people realize paying attention to Rovell isn't going to make him go away, it's just entertaining to see someone post horrible things without irony. Being outraged can be fun too, I guess.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
It's not so much that Rovell is "in on the joke" as he makes a poo poo-ton of money to push the idea that corporate branding is the be-all end-all of existence, and since money is his only indicator of morality he doesn't give a poo poo about your petty concerns as long as he's getting rich. However, he's still thin-skinned enough to Internet Detective you when you call him out for being a Nazi sympathizer.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mornacale posted:

It's not so much that Rovell is "in on the joke" as he makes a poo poo-ton of money to push the idea that corporate branding is the be-all end-all of existence, and since money is his only indicator of morality he doesn't give a poo poo about your petty concerns as long as he's getting rich. However, he's still thin-skinned enough to Internet Detective you when you call him out for being a Nazi sympathizer.

It's not just that he's getting paid to do this, he's a true believer in corporate branding as the be-all end-all. That's what makes it so grating.

If he acknowledged that part of his job was to pass along press releases, and yeah, it's a job, people would be way more understanding. But he doesn't, he's just an rear end about everything.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I don't know how many people in this thread also follow auto racing, but, um, prepare yourselves for some hot loving takes when people wake up tomorrow and realize that Tony Stewart killed a fellow driver.

I posted it in its thread, but that will be the biggest sports story of the century thus far because holy loving poo poo

Okay it's not even going to be the biggest story of the year. Settle down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBS is doing an all-female The View/PTI sort of show

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're going for here. At best, this seems like it'll be a humanist-ish sports show for an audience that seems pretty small and quiet. At worst, it's exactly what the author thinks it is, which is a handy way to shove women away from sports broadcasting without having to own up to it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anals of History posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're going for here. At best, this seems like it'll be a humanist-ish sports show for an audience that seems pretty small and quiet. At worst, it's exactly what the author thinks it is, which is a handy way to shove women away from sports broadcasting without having to own up to it.

I think the big thing will hinge on what kind of a time slot it's given. I understand the criticism of putting it on CBS Sports Network but there wasn't really any chance this was going to go on the broadcast network (plus, where would you put it?). It still really smacks of that "here, put all the women in one place. Now we're diverse!" thing the author is getting at, though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's mostly because they're a fledgling fourth place sports network desperately looking for a hook and there are really no male-oriented ways for them to go at this point that won't be horribly derivative of much better options.

This will probably fail but I'm sure it's being done primarily because it's really the only way for them to be different at this point.

e: and so far it has worked because when's the last time anyone gave the slightest poo poo about CBS Sports Network programming.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I imagine that most women who care at all about sports are already watching ESPN channels, so what exactly is the point of this? To see if they can get lower ratings than FoxSports2?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I'll give it a look, actually.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

skaboomizzy posted:

I imagine that most women who care at all about sports are already watching ESPN channels, so what exactly is the point of this? To see if they can get lower ratings than FoxSports2?

If the hosts are personable enough to be a View/PTI crossbreed- compared to just another sport blather like Cowherd- then it has value comparable to what otherwise exists.

But once a real, women-affecting sports-issue cross their desk, you'll see if the show is worth their salt. Because hearing more than just another sedentary male suit and tie deliver commentary about Ray Rice or Title IX in the wake of the new NCAA division would move the needle.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

There was no rule in the book that said a dog couldn't play basketball.

Giraffe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcMSpRpEs0Y

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The FS1 all-female show would work if they did segments that wouldn't look out of place on SportsCenter, PTI, etc.

Which of course they won't because Murdoch's network has no restraint.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The FS1 all-female show would work if they did segments that wouldn't look out of place on SportsCenter, PTI, etc.

Which of course they won't because Murdoch's network has no restraint.

It's going on CBS Sports Network, not FS1

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I have to ask what the point of Rembert Browne writing a first person account of his time in Ferguson has anything to do with the type of content Grantland produces. I"m not questioning the content or tone of the article. But simply why should it be published as the top story on Grantland right now?

http://grantland.com/features/ferguson-missouri-protest-michael-brown-murder-police/

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

soggybagel posted:

I have to ask what the point of Rembert Browne writing a first person account of his time in Ferguson has anything to do with the type of content Grantland produces. I"m not questioning the content or tone of the article. But simply why should it be published as the top story on Grantland right now?

http://grantland.com/features/ferguson-missouri-protest-michael-brown-murder-police/

Some things transcend sports. I think a paramilitary police action against unarmed protesters (after an unarmed black kid was gunned down by a white cop), local homeowners, and journalists severe enough that the President, US Attorney General, a sitting US Senator qualifies.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It doesn't seem to have anything in particular to do with Grantland but with the direction of the site giving writers leeway as long as they think it's worth reading it kind of fits?

They probably just felt that a regularish guy who writes about poo poo like the Teen Choice Awards and Hard Knocks had an interesting view of a really loving huge story and went with it. Unless he's lying through his teeth it doesn't sound like he went there on assignment or anything.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

skaboomizzy posted:

Some things transcend sports. I think a paramilitary police action against unarmed protesters (after an unarmed black kid was gunned down by a white cop), local homeowners, and journalists severe enough that the President, US Attorney General, a sitting US Senator qualifies.

There are many things that transcend sports and general pop culture. But what exactly does any of that have to do with the editorial boundaries on Grantland which up to this point, I can't recall them ever handling an event like this or delivering an article that ostensibly has nothing to do with sport or pop culture. I've pretty much been visiting the site multiple times a day since its launch a few years ago. It just feels off.

I am sure I sound like a grump and this is saying nothing about the content of the article by Browne, merely that I have plenty of other outlets I go to to read about such things. However, if this is a direction that Grantland is genuinely interested in pursuing I have no issue with it either. It just feels like a departure.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

soggybagel posted:

There are many things that transcend sports and general pop culture. But what exactly does any of that have to do with the editorial boundaries on Grantland which up to this point, I can't recall them ever handling an event like this or delivering an article that ostensibly has nothing to do with sport or pop culture. I've pretty much been visiting the site multiple times a day since its launch a few years ago. It just feels off.

I am sure I sound like a grump and this is saying nothing about the content of the article by Browne, merely that I have plenty of other outlets I go to to read about such things. However, if this is a direction that Grantland is genuinely interested in pursuing I have no issue with it either. It just feels like a departure.

It's not a departure for Grantland's stable of younger writers, who frequently write about issues of racism and sexism in the pop culture beats they cover, and it's not a departure for Rembert in particular, who wrote an entire travel diary series for the website last summer.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I don't see a pop culture hook here.

And the travel diary had strong grantland related hooks. He's stopping at burning man, he's covering Kevin Durant, going to a 2 chainz birthday party and so on.

The thing is, they can do whatever the want. If they want to publish a 15,000 word article on the current ebola situation, or the threat of a complete civil war in Iraq they can do that. I only brought this up not because I'm angry, but more that I thought this was completely different than anything I'd ever seen before on Grantland and thought it didn't really have a place. It felt tonally in the wrong place. Like it should be on Slate or something.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 15, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I guess it might be different if the only thing you read on Grantland is Bill Barnwell and Zach Lowe and Jonah Keri covering their respective sports, but Rembert Browne and the other youngish-writers on the site really do write about this stuff very frequently. Rembert posts a lot about goofy Beyonce articles, but he's never distanced himself from the fact that he's a black man writing about a black music industry in a country that has issues with both of those things. He writes about racial issues and perspectives a lot in his stories, just like Emily Yoshida, Tess Lynch, Molly Lambert, Wesley Morris and several others write about sexism or racism in their respective areas of expertise. I guess if you don't read any of those people you'd be surprised? But it's certainly understandable that the site, which covers several sports where black men produce hundreds of millions (billions?) of dollars in revenue each year, would give space to a young writer who writes eloquently on this sudden, shocking racist incident

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Stop acting like I'm blind to how Grantland operates. I already said I read the site every day and have since 2011. I subscribe to both the Grantland Sports and Pop Culture feeds and listen to Girls in Hoodies, Do You like Prince Movies, Hollywood Prospectus, and even The Right Reasons. I'm familiar with the works of Yoshida, Lynch, Lisante and so on. I've met and even spoke with Lisante and Jay Caspian Kang who's departure I dearly miss. I'm also a Lowe acolyte. I listen to Men In Blazers every week. I still subscribe but skip a lot of the B.S. report these days. I now sound like a massive dickhead but I'm trying to lay down my Grantland bonafides. I think you're missing my point a bit here too.

Grantland, in particular on the pop culture side is not afraid to talk about sexuality or race. The Girls in Hoodies talk about it every week. The lack of women and minorities in popular entertainment has been talked about. Yoshida talked about it in her GTA V piece which of course got the internet nerds all riled up. I'm not blind to the fact that several major sports are built on the backs of talent that is predominantly black. My whole point in bringing this up wasn't that I was SHOCKED or APPALLED that they dare bring in these yucky weird societal questions like race or sexuality into my precious world of sports and pop culture. It was that this Rembert piece in particularly felt tonally like something I've never seen on Grantland before. I'm not approaching this piece with the mindset that it is problematic or offends me. Merely from a outside editorial position it felt like nothing i've ever seen on Grantland before. This was stripped of all framing. This isn't the Miami Heat responding to Trayvon Martin. This was purely a first hand account of the awful events in Ferguson. The why I'm asking was more a rhetorical "i wonder what grantland may do in the future?"

I'd love to see well written pieces on all manner of subjects but I think that it falls outside of Grantlands standard articles. In this specific situation it hits less on pop culture or sport which is not present, but rather a much deeper darker vein of the American life.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 15, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
An editorial focus should always be flexible if you think a story is interesting or important enough.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rembert Browne is a staff writer, he's probably under contract to give Grantland first look at anything he writes on spec. It's a good piece about an important event and they want to support their writers. Of course they're going to publish it rather than see it on Gawker or the awl.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's a good piece and people need to read it. If this makes people do that, who gives a single gently caress if it "fits" Grantland or not.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it is good if a website publishes a story that is good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really no different than the piece by the same writer about visiting Detroit last year. He's paid to do those kinds of articles.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

soggybagel posted:

I don't see a pop culture hook here.

That's quite a first reaction to the goings-on in Ferguson you got there.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Crion posted:

That's quite a first reaction to the goings-on in Ferguson you got there.

Yep. This was literally my first reaction to what was happening there.

Also, I agree with you all that a good story is a good story and ultimately it's a great thing that Grantland is editorially flexible enough (which it is) to run with quality stuff. So sorry if the burr up my rear end rubbed people the wrong way last night.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I know what soggy bagel means, I wouldn't want to see an article about Israel and the Gaza Strip on Grantland, no matter how well written it was.

edit

This is not a reflection or complaint about the article itself, I read it and I have no complaints

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 15, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

you got real life issues in my sports and pop culture!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
The Verge does it too and it's always a little weird to me - but WAY less weird than Polygon trying to relate this to Watch Dogs.

Note: weird is not the same as offensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The good thing about the Ferguson article on the Grantland Sports & Pop Culture website is that it has nothing to do with sports or pop culture. That sounds sarcastic but I mean it. Entertainment and hobby sites delving into serious real life issues is almost always painful because it's either making some really forced tie-in to the site's usual subject matter or some banal poo poo about how everything has really been put in perspective. As a sports/pop culture site Grantland is obviously under no obligation to put up an article on the matter but if they were going to I'm glad they did a serious one instead of something completely trite or myopic.

not sports journalism, but an example of the opposite: