Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

For a while there when the game was in development I could swear I heard one of the devs talking like they were trying to make a 3D Metroidvania-type game, or at least put some of those elements into LOS2. That would have been cool, has there ever been a Castlevania that actually pulled off that concept?

Most of the 3D ones have tried in some fashion or another. Curse of Darkness was probably the closest but... eeh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Has ANYBODY made a good 3d metroidvania game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Arkham Asylum.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Metroid Prime?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Dark Souls.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness and Metroid Prime

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Harmony of Despair.

EDIT: OK, 2.5D but still 3D enough, right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anatharon posted:

Satan < Dracula < Red/Grenade Launcher guards.

The worst part is that you never got the chance to fight them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The worst part is that you never got the chance to fight them.

That was horseshit. I saw my brother go through the whole game, and the payoff and development was just about the same as Mirror of Fate.

They could've done something good, and they hosed up royally.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Aren't the Legend of Zelda games basically this? I'm still bummed LoS2 was mediocre to bad, LoS1 is my favorite western character action game.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

LoZ is only really Metroidvania in that you get items to progress in dungeons. I mean, you often can explore the over world, but it's not really Metroidvania-y. You aren't looking around in some complex of some sort finding several inaccessible areas that you make not of to come back to later with new items. There's, like, some stuff to blow up for heart pieces or whatever like in Metroid, but I wouldn't really say that makes Zelda a Metroidvania. I'd call it more akin to finding power-ups in Mega Man X. Zelda games are pretty linear when compared to Metroidvanias as well, and I'd say they're a lot more puzzle-themed and RPG-like.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 12, 2014

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My dream Castlevania game at this point would basically be a cut/paste job of Dragon's Dogma where you wander around the Transylvania countryside hunting werewolves and other monsters as a group of custom made Belmonts or some other offshoot slayer clan.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I imagine it'd work like a class system. Belmonts use weapons, Belnades use magic, and, uh, the Renards I guess summon animals.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

I imagine it'd work like a class system. Belmonts use weapons, Belnades use magic, and, uh the Renards I guess summon animals.

The Belmonts are like the rich kids who ride around in fancy carriages showing off their family heirloom weapons, rubbing it in the faces of the "lesser" clans.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
A game like Harmony of Despair except not terrible is something I would kill to play. I would settle for literally anything with the Castlevania name on it that's 2D and not on mobile devices.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

A game like Harmony of Despair except not terrible is something I would kill to play. I would settle for literally anything with the Castlevania name on it that's 2D and not on mobile devices.

Have you played Rogue Legacy? It isn't Castlevania, but it is a rogue-lite Metroidvania.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I liked it well enough, but it doesn't really scratch the same itch as Castlevania or Metroid do. I've found that to be the case with basically every attempt at Metroidvania style games, they don't quite nail all of the features that make a Metroidvania really work. Shadow Complex came pretty close though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Shadow Complex was excellent. Very Super Metroid, whereas Rogue Legacy definitely feels like Castlevania more to me but with grind.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Shadow Complex was excellent. Very Super Metroid, whereas Rogue Legacy definitely feels like Castlevania more to me but with grind.

I wish they'd just make a sequel to it or something. I had so much fun with Shadow Complex.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Butt Ghost posted:

I imagine it'd work like a class system. Belmonts use weapons, Belnades use magic, and, uh, the Renards I guess summon animals.

And DaNastys get sick throwing knives and can climb walls/ceilings to skip half a level!!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Levantine posted:

I wish they'd just make a sequel to it or something. I had so much fun with Shadow Complex.

Too bad Infinity blade makes the developers a billion times more money.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Too bad Infinity blade makes the developers a billion times more money.

All I want is a drat Steam port of the first game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

All I want is a drat Steam port of the first game.

Yeah, I never got a chance to play it either. Is it even up on the Xbox store thingy anymore?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, I never got a chance to play it either. Is it even up on the Xbox store thingy anymore?

It's still there according to the xbox.com website.

I got a chance to play it but my 360 died (what a surprise) and I'm not buying another one of those shitbuckets for just three games.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Uncle Wemus posted:

This is exactly what Dark Souls is. If you want the authentic Belmont experience, there are even some whip weapons you can find/upgrade.

Or going back even further, if you can deal with the kinda sluggish controls and first-person perspective, King's Field: The Ancient City. The whole game world is laid out in the same manner as a Metroidvania, it doesn't look as painfully primitive as the PS1 King's Fields, and it has the whole medieval fantasy theme going for it, if Metroid's not close enough for you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Castlevania's kinda got it's own feel. Really it's not the same without the iconic music and a Belmont or some similar character.

The Soul system from Aria/Dawn of Sorrow was rad, and it's a shame Order of Ecclesia only got one game and not two like the Sorrow ones. :(

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Castlevania's kinda got it's own feel. Really it's not the same without the iconic music and a Belmont or some similar character.

The Soul system from Aria/Dawn of Sorrow was rad, and it's a shame Order of Ecclesia only got one game and not two like the Sorrow ones. :(

I'd sell my left nut for a 3DS sequel to Ecclesia. Like can you image what stupid gimmicks they could make for the 3D feature.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought Ecclesia was sufficiently hard as to be unenjoyable. Also the relatively low number of special abilities/attacks compared to the rest of the series (and especially compared to the Sorrow games) combined with even weak enemies requiring several hits to destroy to make Shanoa feel weak and ineffectual.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought Ecclesia was sufficiently hard as to be unenjoyable. Also the relatively low number of special abilities/attacks compared to the rest of the series (and especially compared to the Sorrow games) combined with even weak enemies requiring several hits to destroy to make Shanoa feel weak and ineffectual.

Of all the complaints about OoE, Shanoa feeling 'weak and ineffectual' is one I never imagined I'd hear. If anything she's significantly too powerful and more that capable of obliterating tons of enemies with ease, especially with how quickly her mana regens.

She has fewer special abilities than Soma does but in exchange most of them are incredibly powerful.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 19, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Of all the complaints about OoE, Shanoa feeling 'weak and ineffectual' is one I never imagined I'd hear. If anything she's significantly too powerful and more that capable of obliterating tons of enemies with ease, especially with how quickly her mana regens.

Well I agree with weak she did for easily from certain things and good drat hard mode..., but I also disagree with ineffectual, her sigils were great a lot of them were strong and powerful, or just plain cool. I lived her movement capabilities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Well I agree with weak she did for easily from certain things and good drat hard mode..., but I also disagree with ineffectual, her sigils were great a lot of them were strong and powerful, or just plain cool. I lived her movement capabilities.

Well, she's more of a glass cannon than some of the other Castlevania protagonists for certain but killing enemies quickly is no serious problem with her. At worst you might need to change your spell if the common enemy in the area resists it. (Until you get Nitesco which is absurdly good and never needs to be unequipped.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harmony of Despair is Ecclesia 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Butt Ghost posted:

Vakal posted:

My dream Castlevania game at this point would basically be a cut/paste job of Dragon's Dogma where you wander around the Transylvania countryside hunting werewolves and other monsters as a group of custom made Belmonts or some other offshoot slayer clan.

Castlevania 64 had the right idea honestly, I wish the same concept would be done now with the day/night cycle and actually having to find other vampires and stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd love some kind of open-world thing where you wander Transylvania, going from town to town, solving problems, clearing out evil dungeons and castles and what not, with the main plot leading you to Castlevania to destroy Dracula.

Basically I envision a better Skyrim.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

Looks like someone wasn't rolling with 2xIgnis for 90% of the game :supaburn:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked Order of Ecclesia a lot, don't get me wrong, but I never understood when people say it's easily better than the other DS games. It was my least favorite, I really really liked the first two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked Order of Ecclesia a lot, don't get me wrong, but I never understood when people say it's easily better than the other DS games. It was my least favorite, I really really liked the first two.

DoS is fun but it's kind of a rehash of AoS and has the annoying drawing mechanic, although it has easily the best second-character mode. I like it a lot but it doesn't feel as fresh.

PoR has really cruddy level design, a lot of recycling and the two-character gimmick is pretty poorly used most of the time. It feels the most 'budget' of the three games by a significant degree. It also has the worst second-character modes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually really liked that POR had a "tap things to kill them" character mode in there because it felt so different from the rest of the games :v: I did completely forget that POR gives you varied levels and then makes you go through the same tilesets again though. The 2 character gimmick wasn't perfect, no, and you could go through the entire game basically playing one or the other, but I thought it was pretty fun to go between the two and have different playstyles on the fly.

Maybe it's time to play them again and refresh my memory, I still have the DS carts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sisters mode would have been okay if there was any effort put into it, but at the end of the day it's basically just a cheat mode where you don't platform and kill everything by pointing at it. It feels more like a cheat code than a full-fledged second mode. Albus mode is kinda eeeh but it at least feels like a different character instead. Sisters just feels kinda lazy.

Edit: I also admit that I like OoE's art style a lot more too. I don't dislike PoR or anything but the other two DS games just feel more cohesive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I'll be honest I never finished sisters mode because the gimmick sort of loses steam eventually.

Now I'm wondering if I am remembering things wrong and I secretly thought POR was bad. And you know for someone that loves all the differences between alt characters and such in the metroidvania games I really didn't like Castlevania HD at all. I didn't want a speedrunning/grinding game dammit!