Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
oh yeah, and they're remolding him as Drift/Shoulda-been-Springer-but-they-already-had-to-many-green-guys-omg-slash-and-snarl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

DOTM Skyhammer, motherfucker! Best helicopter until GEN Springer!

BEST HELICOPTER. No since. Springer's got better weapons though, and by far the better car mode and head sculpt.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

HFTD Tomahawk is a nice helibot too.

My Skyhammer's rotor chest assembly seems to be busted and it's a pain to transform now. Maybe I twisted it the wrong way once or something? Maybe this is a sign that I should get voyager Drift, the colors and weapons are cool I guess.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Thew's review finally sold me on Springer. All the photos I'd seen of him had the drat gun attached to the alt modes and it ruined the whole thing for me. Seeing him without the weapons completely changed my mind.

Also order DotM Megatron off Amazon. Woo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

HFTD Tomahawk is a nice helibot too.

My Skyhammer's rotor chest assembly seems to be busted and it's a pain to transform now. Maybe I twisted it the wrong way once or something? Maybe this is a sign that I should get voyager Drift, the colors and weapons are cool I guess.

Yes, the rotor assembly plastic will wear down eventually. After a while transform him properly. I had to take mine apart and do a little damage control to the stressed plastic there. The bit that used to turn 90 degrees doesn't lock into place now like it used to, but it's not loose or floppy or anything that makes it unfun to play with. In fact, if you didn't know it was supposed to lock in place you'd never miss it.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Springer is fantastic, and I really need to pick up a Sandstorm. I actually just noticed a week or two ago you can top or bottom mount Springer's sword as a giant bayonet on his gun. :black101:

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Captain Blaargh posted:

I actually just noticed a week or two ago you can top or bottom mount Springer's sword as a giant bayonet on his gun. :black101:

One day, Springer Almasy is gonna tell you about his ROMANTIC dream!!!

And hopefully, it'll involve his elbows actually being strong enough to handle turning his weapons into a Gunblade. That was something I did on Hour One with mine, but had to abandon because it'd droop in seconds. I forget if there's enough clearance around the pins to just Future them up...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Phy posted:

BEST HELICOPTER. No since. Springer's got better weapons though, and by far the better car mode and head sculpt.

Well, yeah, Skyhammer makes for a better helicopter, but Springer remains the better toy overall. Still, both are some of my favorite figures of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Captain Blaargh posted:

Springer is fantastic, and I really need to pick up a Sandstorm. I actually just noticed a week or two ago you can top or bottom mount Springer's sword as a giant bayonet on his gun. :black101:

Not only that, but you can use the port on the top of Springer's gun to mount the partially-transformed sword in such a way as to create a sort of "crossbow" weapon.

Lastly, in robot mode, you can open up the flap at the base of Springer's backpack to expose the port used by the [gun in car mode/sword in copter mode], plug the gun in facing upwards, and then plug the sword into that same port on the gun to allow for double weapons storage!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Me Scorn don't know why everyone upside down?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If the actual retail ones looked like that I'd actually buy them.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blackheart posted:

Everyone mis-transforms that neck flap on Scorn. It's supposed to cover the flat plastic under his "elbow," it even sorta locks into place if you do it right.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I got some SDCC toys in the mail, AMA. The answers to all the questions are "I'm fairly sleepy, maybe I'll open them in a couple years?" Come see me in Chicago in October, I will have mini-bottles in my pockets. Be my roommate or even my part time temporary employee, I have an extra badge and a table.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blackheart posted:

...Wait the black parts are transparent plastic. drat it, unnecessary transparency is my gorilla arms.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Knormal posted:

...Wait the black parts are transparent plastic. drat it, unnecessary transparency is my gorilla arms.

To make matters worse, Slog, Strafe, and kinda-sorta Grimlock have gorilla arms.

TRANSPARENT PLASTIC GORILLA ARMS

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
And man they hosed up Scorn, not only is the head up-side down, but his legs are mis-transformed. You can see that butt gap, that awful, awful butt gap.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

To make matters worse, Slog, Strafe, and kinda-sorta Grimlock have gorilla arms.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
_/

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

DoctorWhat posted:

At least Slog can have big shoulder cannons so the wrist angle can work for a big Tekkaman shooty pose. If your big clumsy dinobot is in to that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A real customizer would probably hang me for what I have committed, but a couple metallic sharpies can really make your Galvatron pop! I painted his face and lots of tiny silver, gold and bronze details here and there. The toy is such a sea of gray out of the box that I feel you can't really do much wrong here.

Now on to the mold itself, I'm liking it a lot whole more than I expected. It's a respectably-sized voyager, chunky and very decently poseable (balljointed head on a big chunky neck, wonderful poseable ankles, double-jointed elbows). It's weird that his knees are super high on the leg, but it doesn't impede him much. He looks powerful and pleasantly bulky, and the weapon has a good arm-extension feel to it. The truck mode is super nice and big and is decently painted on its own. The cab-backpack compresses impressively and it's neat how you tend to not notice it in hand. Given what the toy designers had to pull off for the character design, it's a fairly amusing transformation. Which they could have solved some of Leader OP's problems as well as this.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Generations Springer and DoTM Megatron came in the mail today :toot:

Springer just doesn't seem to want to piece together into his car mode at all. All the tabs and slots are there and are just a hair off of actually fitting into place. Or if you get one in, suddenly the other all pop out. Really quite annoying.

DoTM Megatron is... uhhh... it feels like I got a chinese knockoff or something. All of his important joints are super loving loose so he's really hard to balance, but then the erroneous joints like his grill and his shoulder... uh, grills, are stiff as hell. And putting him into vehicle mode is weird as gently caress because there's so many chinsey little bits. Is this what all the movie toys are like? Evasion Prime is a solid loving rock in both modes and then one movie back and this dude just feels super cheap. On the bright side, he holds Evasion Prime's gun and looks badass doing it, so there's that.

Now I guess I wait for new bots to come out :shobon:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got MP Prowl today. I never imported the Takara version so this is my first exposure to the mold, I'm a little disappointed that I had to fumble my way through the transformations backwards because he comes packed in robot mode but the instructions only show car to robot. It wasn't too bad, but for a masterpiece figure you'd think they could afford to print both. Maybe they could save some money by not shipping him in a box twice as big as necessary. The figure itself is good, but I just can't get too excited about a thirty year alt mode. We're getting pretty close to the point where a Cybertronian alt mode would be less conspicuous for the "in disguise" portion than someone still driving a 280Z.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Knormal posted:

Maybe they could save some money by not shipping him in a box twice as big as necessary.
This is something I mentioned to hamster when we were discussing BBTS. While BBTS' shipping to Canada is not too terribly priced, they won't husk the dreadful dead weight of the packaging. I don't know how much a deluxe weighs, but I don't think it is higher than 150 grams, or about a third of a pound. BBTS lists deluxes at 0.7 pounds each, so their shipping costs are effectively doubled on what amounts to a silly box. Hasbro really needs to tone this stuff down, less packaging, more plastic. There shouldn't be more weight in the packaging if plastic budget is going to be such a concern.

As for Prowl, I agree I'd rather have him in a Cybertronian mode, though I have no plans on buy that MP. I did order a Streak KO for the alt mode, though, but as a police car Prowl doesn't rub me as a 'classic car' like Streak or Lambor does.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Masterpiece Sunstorm up on Toys R Us

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Knormal posted:

I got MP Prowl today. I never imported the Takara version so this is my first exposure to the mold, I'm a little disappointed that I had to fumble my way through the transformations backwards because he comes packed in robot mode but the instructions only show car to robot. It wasn't too bad, but for a masterpiece figure you'd think they could afford to print both. Maybe they could save some money by not shipping him in a box twice as big as necessary. The figure itself is good, but I just can't get too excited about a thirty year alt mode. We're getting pretty close to the point where a Cybertronian alt mode would be less conspicuous for the "in disguise" portion than someone still driving a 280Z.

The "disguise" thing was never actually important anyway. It's not like a police version of a 280Z was going to be a disguise anywhere outside of Japan, or a fire chief version of a Lamborghini Countach was going to be a disguise anywhere. The initial IDW comic launch with Furman's "-ation" books were really the first time anyone took a serious shot at integrating the "robots in disguise" concept into the premise in a literal manner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just compared the Japanese MP box to the US MP box and it's actually less than half the size. Pretty bad. Probably close to 1/3, actually.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

The "disguise" thing was never actually important anyway. It's not like a police version of a 280Z was going to be a disguise anywhere outside of Japan, or a fire chief version of a Lamborghini Countach was going to be a disguise anywhere. The initial IDW comic launch with Furman's "-ation" books were really the first time anyone took a serious shot at integrating the "robots in disguise" concept into the premise in a literal manner.

Yet another reason that Furman's initial run with the IDWverse was awesome. The reason for it made a lot of in-universe sense, too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is a pity the Furman awesome setting (covert war on endless worlds, dead cybertron, elite squads fighting on the ground with orbital command holding most of the gentler types) which I think does honestly set the high bar for G1 re-imagination had to be impregnated with a bunch of awful furmanisms like skywatch, 'headmasters', the dead universe and worst of all the reapers.

There is no worse moment in the IDW lore than the scene with the reapers, Sixshot and dead universe Galvatron using his zombie powers to kill a bunch of them. That is it, that's the bottom.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'll often stand up for the early IDW comics because Furman did legitimately have a lot of really cool ideas. For the first time, the Transformers were really robots in disguise and that played a big role. He had a lot of fuckin' lovely ideas too though - namely his Headmasters and Arcee. Another problem with them is he had about a million different story arcs all going on at once and it was a loving mess. You had the arc on earth with Optimus and Megatron, Shockwave's involvement with Ore-13, Scorponok and the Headmasters, Nemesis Prime and the dead universe, Thunderwing and Monstructor, Rodimus's backstory and Doubledealer's betrayal, Sixshot, and a million other things. Like, slow down, hoss. It's like Furman wanted to feature as many characters as possible, but Transformers has a LOT of loving characters, man.

The IDW timeline is also confusing as all hell with the Spotlights, Megatron: Origin, Autocracy, Monstrocity and a bunch of other flashback things. I really can't tell you what order things occur in or what the timeline is, because I don't know. I'm not sure if anybody knows. The Furman -ation minis, All Hail Megatron, the Costa Ongoing and then the current ongoings all happen in order, but the rest of the stuff jumps forward and back in time and I just dunno, man.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Another problem with them is he had about a million different story arcs all going on at once and it was a loving mess. You had the arc on earth with Optimus and Megatron, Shockwave's involvement with Ore-13, Scorponok and the Headmasters, Nemesis Prime and the dead universe, Thunderwing and Monstructor, Rodimus's backstory and Doubledealer's betrayal, Sixshot, and a million other things. Like, slow down, hoss. It's like Furman wanted to feature as many characters as possible, but Transformers has a LOT of loving characters, man.

Or, if you're a long-time TF fan, it's one of the few TF stories that doesn't drag rear end while explaining who everyone is. It's definitely a TF story on "Expert Mode" but man it's nice when compared to most TF media, which assumes you've been a fan for a few months, but haven't bothered learning who any of the post-1986 characters are.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The IDW timeline is also confusing as all hell with the Spotlights, Megatron: Origin, Autocracy, Monstrocity and a bunch of other flashback things. I really can't tell you what order things occur in or what the timeline is, because I don't know. I'm not sure if anybody knows. The Furman -ation minis, All Hail Megatron, the Costa Ongoing and then the current ongoings all happen in order, but the rest of the stuff jumps forward and back in time and I just dunno, man.

I own all the comics (in TPB form) but a few years ago I also downloaded a torrent of them because they were re-ordered correctly, and I could read them straight through without fuss.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oh on that note is any reading Primacy or whatever the spelling is? Because Roberts apparently announced an upcoming story arc that caps the trilogy of Chaos Theory / Shadowplay with a final set of flashbacks. I don't understand why the Dille/Metzen team is even writing stories in that era. Couldn't they have done a G1 style set up, previous to AHM but after the Furman stories? They never really laid down how long that was.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Brainstorm's coming in October! :)

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh on that note is any reading Primacy or whatever the spelling is? Because Roberts apparently announced an upcoming story arc that caps the trilogy of Chaos Theory / Shadowplay with a final set of flashbacks. I don't understand why the Dille/Metzen team is even writing stories in that era. Couldn't they have done a G1 style set up, previous to AHM but after the Furman stories? They never really laid down how long that was.

Roberts' trilogy happens way before Dille/Metzen's ones and I don't really see how there might be any clashes occurring between the two storylines. Dille/Metzen are doing an okay job in my opinion, and RID is satisfying my need for a "bots on earth" story.

But then again I didn't get into Transformers comics until MTMTE came out so I missed out on pretty much all the former series so I might be missing out on something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

Brainstorm's coming in October! :)

And Arcee and Chromia in September. So, read that as "in US stores by Sept and Oct, and on BBTS for October-November".

So Chromia's a monster retool of the RID Prime Arcee, yeah? The FE mold of her was really well done and didn't turn out to be nearly as fragile as it felt like when I got it, so I never got the RID version.

Speaking of MTMTE, when's the next one due out?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Phy posted:

And Arcee and Chromia in September. So, read that as "in US stores by Sept and Oct, and on BBTS for October-November".

So Chromia's a monster retool of the RID Prime Arcee, yeah? The FE mold of her was really well done and didn't turn out to be nearly as fragile as it felt like when I got it, so I never got the RID version.

Regarding Arcee, I actually prefer the RID version over the FE. The FE has better paint and two blades but I like what the RID version does with pose ability and transformation. I've got both Arcee and Chromia on pre-order now, along with all kinds of other poo poo (Takara skybite, rattrap, MP Magnus, the list goes on...).

edit: also to ^, the answer appears to be August 27. link

TheDK fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 16, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

MTMTE itunes preview just hit, so two weeks out it sounds like.

I have the BH retool of the RID mold and it is so much worse than the FE mold, but it is still pretty solid. I really wish they'd made a Flamewar out of that mold, though. Crazy flaming dragon wings and the like.

Also: I really hope those figures land before the holidays, because if they "show up" later than Nov welcome to buying from the BBTS-zone. (Save me saint hamster)

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Spiderdrake posted:

I really wish they'd made a Flamewar out of that mold, though. Crazy flaming dragon wings and the like.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they already did.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SpikeMcclane posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they already did.
When do you say 'they', do you mean Hasbro the friend of all men and women of good taste, or do you mean they who can not be trusted with our credit cards?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Spiderdrake posted:

When do you say 'they', do you mean Hasbro the friend of all men and women of good taste, or do you mean they who can not be trusted with our credit cards?

It was a botcon exclusive.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rita Repulsa posted:

It was a botcon exclusive.

It was a Botcon exclusive twice!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Don't disrespect my my head canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving love Furman's IDW run (well, most of it), enough to own it in multiple HC formats.

Speaking of, I own the two $100 OSHC collections but have since bought the "IDW Collection" HCs since that's the format that they decided to run with and I wanted my bookshelf to match. Any interest in the two HUGE HCs?

It's these books

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...sformers+idw+hc

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Premiere-Edition-Volume-Numbered/dp/1600104371/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YJK9Q340FP31NMXXHRZ