Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Opulent Temple brings a major system. That's about 1/2 of what we use to cover a 5000+ seat arena.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/powersoft_k10_amplifiers_drive_low_end_for_opulent_temple_at_burning_man_fe/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

minato posted:

This year I'm camping with a group of friends and we decided to research what it would take to get a PA system with a generator out to the playa. It turns out to be a much bigger and more expensive deal than we expected, and now I have a lot of respect for the soundcamps that actually manage it.

omg did Precious want to DJ?

ps that is now totally his playa name

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

IceLicker posted:

Opulent Temple brings a major system. That's about 1/2 of what we use to cover a 5000+ seat arena.
They don't mention they drive all that equipment from Dallas, crossing 4 states in a 25-hour non-stop drive each way. Those dudes are hardcore.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Speaking of amazing, the guys doing Embrace are doing 35 trips Reno-BRC-Reno to get the art piece out there. Each round-trip is about 7 hours without Burning Man traffic, but the crews are then also unloading and building. God drat. :aaa:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

My girlfriend and some other people drove down over the last couple of days to start building. Update from an hour ago: Storms on the playa have totally shut down traffic and nobody is allowed in. They're holed up in Alturas and Gerlach for the night.

I'm not too familiar with the climate down there; does this mean the playa is going to be muddy this year? Or does it only take two days of sunny skies for it to dry back up?

Black JFK
Jul 18, 2003
Noooooo!

stratdax posted:

My girlfriend and some other people drove down over the last couple of days to start building. Update from an hour ago: Storms on the playa have totally shut down traffic and nobody is allowed in. They're holed up in Alturas and Gerlach for the night.

I'm not too familiar with the climate down there; does this mean the playa is going to be muddy this year? Or does it only take two days of sunny skies for it to dry back up?

It takes no time at all to dry out after a short storm. A couple of rainy days leading up to/during the burn just keep the dust down. I'm hoping for some good thunder when I head up tomorrow but it looks like that's not gonna happen.

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
Hey Goons, I have 3 peeps hitting the playa this year, but only 2 tickets so far. We have a pass. If anyone figures out they can't go, and wants a stack of (face value + fees) cash, let me know and I'll get you hooked up.

We are virgins and can't wait!!!!

username (minus _001) at you know, the big g.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Since you're virgins, I'll say it: do NOT drive all the way to Black Rock City without a ticket. Whoever doesn't have a ticket will have a really bad time.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone here collect pins?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Alfajor posted:

Since you're virgins, I'll say it: do NOT drive all the way to Black Rock City without a ticket. Whoever doesn't have a ticket will have a really bad time.

Last year this English guy who camped behind us flew into Reno without a ticket or a ride. Ballsy.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
e: found

horribleslob fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 14, 2014

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Alfajor posted:

Also everyone in the vehicle will have a bad time. If anyone doesn't have a ticket... everyone who has a valid ticket gets it voided.

At least that's what I read on the internet.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Super pumped to go for the first time this year, with Hammer and Cyclery. I don't think I'll be able to make the goon meet, but stop by and say hi.

What are things I should pack that I wouldn't think of? What are things I absolutely have to do?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ninja Pangolin posted:

What are things I absolutely have to do?

- go in the Man before Saturday
- go in the Temple before Sunday
- go to Center Camp and hang out for a while. Talk to people, listen to the randomness that is usually on the stages, join a drum circle, whatever.
- be naked (even if it means going into deep playa where no one can see you)
- see the sunrise
- go all the way to the trash fence
- say "yes" more than "no"

I expect a post-burn trip report!

pharmphetish
Jun 3, 2009

Ninja Pangolin posted:

What are things I should pack that I wouldn't think of? What are things I absolutely have to do?

Visit camp Asterix at 2:45 and I for a breakfast mimosa and ukelele jam session. I'll be there with champagne in one hand and OJ in the other.

Shameless self promoting aside.. One fun thing I've always enjoyed is to get a "quest" from a random stranger. Whether this be visit a list of places or collect items from strangers, it's a great way to visit camps and talk to people you otherwise wouldn't have.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
another tip i would add is don't have a specific plan for the week. see the things you want to see, if you happen to pass by a camp doing some kind of workshop and you want to check it out, go for it. feel free to page through the event guide they give you and pick out some things that sound fun as well, but i would caution against scheduling a day plan of activities. part of the magic of the playa is floating organically between different sites and camps you'll find as well as taking it easy at your tent or with friends. filling your time with a regimented schedule will lead to focusing too much on what you could be doing and not enough time focusing on what's going on around you.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I can't believe I almost forgot it:
- be alone, do your thing
seriously. Do your thing. Check it out. Once you've had enough, find your next thing.

Story time!
First burning man, first night. I had a very small 1 person tent, the lightweight backpacker kind. I went to bed around midnight, after having a lot of fun just after setting up tent before dusk. At around 3~4 am, I need to go piss away some of the beer, and while walking to the potties, I hear music I really enjoy. After emptying the tank, I feel rather awake so I figure I'll go check it out.
Next thing I know, I was dancing on the corner of Esplanade & 8:30, at a camp with big walls of light, and a DJ blasting old school 90s house/pop. I wasn't just dancing though, i felt like no one was watching, it was amazing. I was bustin' moves that I'd only done in my living room :slick: I danced like a god drat fruit, and loved every second of that experience. I didn't know I wanted that, but it would have not happened if I followed my own, private and personal instinct. If I'd been hanging with friends, girlfriend or wife, I probably would have gone back to bed or tried to convince them to come with me... and then I probably wouldn't have gone all :c00l:, so I hope you get the point: be alone, find a way to get weird, and go balls deep at it.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake
Re: filling your week up with plans:

The playa is where plans go to die. Roll with it!

Re: ticketless passengers

Yeah they won't let your car into the burn unless everybody has a ticket. They will NOT let you leave your ticketless person behind. Well, I do know of one time that gate let that happen, actually: they then hunted down the people inside the event and made them leave to figure out the ticketless person's situation.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Was on the art grant committee for the Florida regionals, approved a project because it sounded cool. He had one of the actual jets used in the movie Tank Girl. It was supposed to be converted into an art. The guy got a lot of cash and nothing ever came of it. This was over a year ago and the rumor is that the grant went on drugs.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 15, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

If you haven't been keeping up, watch and prepare your gear to handle similar conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OU0kF1E1iU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Throwdown posted:

Was on the art grant committee for the Florida regionals, approved a project because I saw what he had, to work one, one of actual jets from Tank Girl. Was proposed as art car with a dj booth inside and the back flames were to be controlled by a propane through the jets; similar to the flame throwers you see at every burn and use it as a mobile spinning station with a spot to light props and have safety's walking along side on stand by, seriously, the bets proposal I have had come into my e-mail in years . The guy got a lot of cash and nothing has happened, this was over a year ago and the rumor is that the grant went on drugs. If you abuse an art grant you are loving scum and I hope that you find yourself lost on the playa, during a dust storm, with no mask or goggles and when you finally find your way back to your tent it has been blown away, nowhere to be found.. So mad right now.

Are you on drugs right now? That was really hard to read for some reason.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody know if Black Rock Air are still around and in business?

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
Lot's of good advice up in here! I am aware of how stowaways play out so that's not going to happen to us. We'll get a ticket, somehow. The method will bring itself to light. We are combing Craigslist and the eplaya forums (those are silly). My wife is acquaintances with a Michigan BMOrg person who is an organizer of some big theme camp, so hopefully that will be an avenue for us (maybe if one of their theme camp members can't make, a ticket could become available). I took her advice and posted on the Michigan Regional BM FB page. I know it's a little ways away, but I can't help but feel anxious that we won't find that 3rd ticket, as you can well imagine.

Here's a funny thing: All 3 of us registered for the OMG sale. One of us went into the sale early. A message told him that he would be placed in a random spot in line. The other two waited patiently for sale time. The only one who got tickets was the one who went in early!

Our third tells us he'd be ok hanging out in Reno for the week and seeing if he could score a ticket and a ride, and while I'm sure there is fun to be had there, it's obviously not Burning Man. Hope springs eternal!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
If your friend has to stay in Reno his best bet might be at the airport. They have a booth set up for burner ride shares and I bet it sees a bunch of traffic.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Okay one more question. I'm having a tough time figuring out what guys wear on their lower half to keep warm during the night. Long johns + hiking-type pants? Leather? Jeans??? Any suggestions? I don't want to get too crazy with buying festival-specific stuff, because I'm only ever gonna use it this one time. At all the other festivals I go to it stays relatively warm at night. Thanks guys.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

IMO: It gets cold, but not so cold that you've got to worry about your legs. Legs are easy to warm up, and for me the constant walking, biking, dancing, being near fire, etc, make it so thin fake leather pants are my go-to night attire. On top: a vest of some sort, and a big fake-fur coat (scored from the Ladies section at the thrift store).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

stratdax posted:

Okay one more question. I'm having a tough time figuring out what guys wear on their lower half to keep warm during the night. Long johns + hiking-type pants? Leather? Jeans??? Any suggestions? I don't want to get too crazy with buying festival-specific stuff, because I'm only ever gonna use it this one time. At all the other festivals I go to it stays relatively warm at night. Thanks guys.

Sleeping bag.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

stratdax posted:

Really long socks and one of these http://www.thegoofygiftshop.com/weenie_warmers.php

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

IMO: It gets cold, but not so cold that you've got to worry about your legs.

It's been below freezing in years past... I've heard its been pretty warm the past few years but you really never know from what I hear.

pharmphetish
Jun 3, 2009

Alfajor posted:

be alone, find a way to get weird, and go balls deep at it.

This is the most solid Burning Man advice I've seen in 5 years.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

orange sky posted:

Are you on drugs right now? That was really hard to read for some reason.

Exhaustion and typing on a phone. I believe I had been up for 2 days straight before typing that.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

mitztronic posted:

It's been below freezing in years past... I've heard its been pretty warm the past few years but you really never know from what I hear.

True. One of the principles is "self reliance", so... look up weather reports, figure out how cold is cold for you, and prepare accordingly! :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Another great piece of advice from yours truly.

Go on a guided art tour (http://www.burningman.com/installations/art_tours.html). You'll learn a lot about the art, the artist, why it was chosen, stories about the build, and all sorts of "playa lore" that you can then share back at camp, or while waiting for the Man to burn, and be just the coolest burner around.

(Or download the official audiotours and listen to them by yourself in your loving headphones: http://www.burningman.com/installations/art_installations_audiotours.html)

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

About to board on a plane to London and continue to LAX and then Reno. Going to be on playa in like two days. Never done early entry before, this should be interesting!

Everyone feel free come to the Toilet Bowl party on Tuesday at 4pm near the 9 o clock inner playa toilets. Bowling on two regulation size bowling lanes, liquor, and art cars! Say hi to the Finnish guy if you see him / it / me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

minato posted:

They don't mention they drive all that equipment from Dallas, crossing 4 states in a 25-hour non-stop drive each way. Those dudes are hardcore.

OT's sound pissed me off a few years ago, but I can't help but respect the work they put into it. Just had some rear end in a top hat trying to spin terrible music at 430am while I was trying to enjoy my pillow.

stratdax posted:

Kilt and boots, for me. As long as your goinal regions are warm, you'll be fine. But then I'm a heavyset bastard from the frozen plains, so I don't really rate Playa cold as 'real' cold.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 17, 2014

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Thanks for the tip, Alfajor. Hadn't heard about the art tours.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
got a tentative schedule

Monday 8-10pm - Desert Shift (Trip Hop)
Thursday 8-10pm - Dune Traveler (Psychedelic)

follow updates here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/461808887289932/

or add me on facebook (facebook.com/jonmitz) and print out the burner map before you go.

edit: burner map: https://burnermap.com/map/

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 19, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I'm surprised you don't have yourself a "page" for your DJ stuffs. You should, because you're pretty great IMO.

On the note of DJ things, I made a 1 hr mix with the journey to BRC in mind. Free mp3 download; ideally, you'd push "play" as you're getting off I-80: https://soundcloud.com/alfaj0r/burning-man-2014-caravansary

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I have this http://facebook.com/mitztronic and this https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz. Since I never really play out often or anything, my fanbase is pretty small and I think they all pretty much just use my soundcloud page.

Also, you're too kind. :)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Can I just say how happy I am for everyone who will be going this year and how good of a time you're going to have? I don't even think many of the new kids on the block realize it yet. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A loving BLAST AND GO DANCING AND SEE AMAZING PEOPLE AND AMAZING THINGS AND YOU'LL PROBABLY BE A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE DUST BUT IT WILL PASS AND THEN YOU'LL HAVE AN EVEN MORE AMAZING TIME SO IF YOU'RE NOT EXCITED YET I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE gently caress TO TELL YOU!

GET EXCITED, YOU'RE GOING TO BURNING MAN!!!

Please write something for me on the temple and also try to hang out in front of the BM live steam webcam as much as possible and wave to me because I'm gonna try (again) to watch it this year.

• Locked thread