Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

"Jump" isn't centered over the selectotron. Makes me a little twitchy.

Also, would "last post" be more useful than "last page" there?

Seconded on last post instead of last page. I find myself wishing it did that all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
How do you post pictures from your camera roll using the app? I cannot figure this out and I feel foolish!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

something clever posted:

How do you post pictures from your camera roll using the app? I cannot figure this out and I feel foolish!

Tap to bring up the pop-up menu and arrow across to img

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

101 posted:

Tap to bring up the pop-up menu and arrow across to img

Thank you!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I didn't see in the last post/last page talk, do we want that to actually go to the last post too? Or just a change in the copy?

Also is "first page" fine, or should it be "first post"?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Lately, the app will fail to jump to a chosen page if I am on wifi. It will try to load but never display the page until it times out. Switching to LTE loads the selected page immediately.

Dunno if this has been brought up before, but I just started noticing it. My internet and wifi are otherwise unaffected.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Update is live on App Store (USA). When going to the basement what is the new background image?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's a naked selfie of myself that was blurred.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I expect nothing less from an Awful app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really wish that was true, the original image is here: http://unsplash.com/post/92288461449/download-by-jonas-lavoie-levesque

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

What's the basement?

Also did the blue in the Dark Theme used for unread numbers and Filter by Tag get changed? It seems a bit harder to make read, and doesn't match up with the > and Favorite Star on the Forums List.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Baram posted:

What's the basement?
The menu you get when you hit the hamburger button.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Swiping back into threads seems to work well. Nice work!

However, once again I must complain about the typographical travesty that is the YOSPOS loading screen. Where one would expect Loading... it instead says Loading… using a glaringly anachronistic non-ASCII glyph which is a foul abomination in the sight of god and a stink unto his nostrils. It is now several updates since this serious bug was brought to your attention and a fix promised, and I would like you to know that I have already reported your scamming ways to Apple and demanded a full refund. If you do not fix this promptly you will leave me no option but to instruct my counsel to file a class action suit seeking punitive damages.

Baram posted:

Also did the blue in the Dark Theme used for unread numbers and Filter by Tag get changed? It seems a bit harder to make read, and doesn't match up with the > and Favorite Star on the Forums List.
Yeah, it could usefully be lightened up a little.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think my vote will have to be for antialiasing the MacinYOS theme, otherwise letters look bold at random.

e: or going all-in on Chicago if that's possible. Wasn't it that way at one point?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

e: or going all-in on Chicago if that's possible. Wasn't it that way at one point?

It's never been Chicago in the app, but that would be my preference. As far as I can tell though, Apple owns the copyright on Chicago, and I'm not sure if it's entirely kosher to embed it in an app. I've seen at least one other app do it though, so it may not be something they care to stop.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
My apologies if this has been answered but I don't have access to my computer to search at the moment.

I just updated to the newest release from a half year old version that I've been using because the update at the time wouldn't open to bookmarked threads. Well I still can't seem to achieve this functionality on today's release. Is it just me or do I have to go back to the ancient iteration for that?

edit: I now see on the page before this that it returns to previous state, but that doesn't do much good when one closes apps often. ( I'm not going to get in that pointless discussion here ) - I'll just go back to my old version before the great cosmetic changes.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 12, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Even when you force quit awful it will reopen to its last known state. Stop being such a weirdo and get with the times grandpa.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

The Dave posted:

Even when you force quit awful it will reopen to its last known state. Stop being such a weirdo and get with the times grandpa.

Well my post was prompted by two instances of it opening to the forums instead of bookmarks. I could warm up to the new aesthetics but I quite like the old look. No worries.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

Lately, the app will fail to jump to a chosen page if I am on wifi. It will try to load but never display the page until it times out. Switching to LTE loads the selected page immediately.

Dunno if this has been brought up before, but I just started noticing it. My internet and wifi are otherwise unaffected.

Next time Awful is having issues on wi-fi, can you try the Forums in Safari and see if it works there?

spongeworthy posted:

I just updated to the newest release from a half year old version that I've been using because the update at the time wouldn't open to bookmarked threads. Well I still can't seem to achieve this functionality on today's release. Is it just me or do I have to go back to the ancient iteration for that?

edit: I now see on the page before this that it returns to previous state, but that doesn't do much good when one closes apps often. ( I'm not going to get in that pointless discussion here ) - I'll just go back to my old version before the great cosmetic changes.

That functionality does not exist in today's release, you are correct. It was replaced with the more thorough state saving, which unfortunately gets bypassed when you force quit Awful. I am sorry that it doesn't work for you. However, I have no plans to restore the setting.

The Dave posted:

I don't think that's how it works, actually, or at least it's not that straightforward. Force quitting will usually (maybe always) delete the preserved state. Ditto if the app crashes when trying to restore state on launch. It's to work around bugs in state preservation and restoration, which can be surprisingly hard to properly implement (or I'm doing it wrong, always a possibility).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ah okay. I was just opening the multitasker and swiping away the awful card and the reopening, which brought me right back to the thread I was in.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I might have just not noticed it until now but I wanted to input and say I love the frosted glass slide out for the navigation panel. Very sweet.

Maybe a little down arrow at the top and bottom of a post that you can tap once to jump down?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I was really hoping it was a blurred out goatse myself

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If anyone is planning a trip through Missouri could you stop by the Something Awful LLC office and take a picture for the basement thanks.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Since the latest update if I try to open a YouTube link from the app it times out about 80% of the time and the other 20% the video never buffers. If I long-click and open in YouTube instead things work fine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Since the latest update if I try to open a YouTube link from the app it times out about 80% of the time and the other 20% the video never buffers. If I long-click and open in YouTube instead things work fine.

That's a strange one, I don't think we did anything to youtube embeds in this update. It's one of the more annoying parts of the app as we get no real control over it, it's just a video tag in a webview.

It's still worth mentioning in the thread though sometimes we can do stuff about it!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

That's a strange one, I don't think we did anything to youtube embeds in this update. It's one of the more annoying parts of the app as we get no real control over it, it's just a video tag in a webview.

It's still worth mentioning in the thread though sometimes we can do stuff about it!

It could also just be my phone too (I'm on a 5) but I thought I'd mention it in case I wasn't the only one. I'm getting it on WiFi and on LTE for what it's worth.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Edit- Fixed it!

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 13, 2014

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Earlier I tapped on a YouTube link and watched the video in the awful browser, & starting immediately after any time I go back into Awful causes playing music to pause.

I'm not sure this is specific to Awful, I've definitely experienced it previously but wasn't paying close attention to my pattern of usage.

Latest iOS & Awful, iPhone 5.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Today this happened for the first time when I was attempting to check on the new posts from the bookmark for this thread.

It kept doing that until I clicked on the "page ? of 144" at the bottom and jumped to a few pages earlier then manually scrolled forward and now I can see the most recent posts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xilni posted:

Today this happened for the first time when I was attempting to check on the new posts from the bookmark for this thread.

It kept doing that until I clicked on the "page ? of 144" at the bottom and jumped to a few pages earlier then manually scrolled forward and now I can see the most recent posts.

There was a forums server hiccup this morning, it is probably from that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I didn't see in the last post/last page talk, do we want that to actually go to the last post too? Or just a change in the copy?

Also is "first page" fine, or should it be "first post"?

Missed this: both should say and go to the post.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

withak posted:

Ah ok, hasn't happened since then so that would fit.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

withak posted:

While this is a niche case, I know I'd find it comforting if Awful checked an independent source to see if somethingawful.com is down (assuming your internet connection is working).

I don't know if there are easy API solutions for that. http://www.isitdownrightnow.com is a site I use for Steam occasionally.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

DNK posted:

While this is a niche case, I know I'd find it comforting if Awful checked an independent source to see if somethingawful.com is down (assuming your internet connection is working).

I don't know if there are easy API solutions for that. http://www.isitdownrightnow.com is a site I use for Steam occasionally.

Relying on an external site isn't a great idea, they tend to go down or make breaking changes. AFAIK There is actually code in the app to parse known error types, but the outage today used a weird generic template site. Hopefully this is just a weird case since it's the new forum coders first day, as long as they use the standard error messages it won't be an issue.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

There really is no 100% way to figure out if the Forums are up. We could probably do a slightly better job than we currently do, but nothing's a guarantee.

the yeti posted:

Earlier I tapped on a YouTube link and watched the video in the awful browser, & starting immediately after any time I go back into Awful causes playing music to pause.

I'm not sure this is specific to Awful, I've definitely experienced it previously but wasn't paying close attention to my pattern of usage.

Latest iOS & Awful, iPhone 5.

If you manage to track it down to Awful let me know. As much as I dislike rummaging around in the audio APIs that should be fixable at least.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is it just me or is it a lot harder to swipe back after the update?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I thought it was just me being a spaz (still haven't ruled that out). Definitely feels different, though -- it takes me a few tries more often than not.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It seems to be more successful if pulled right from the edge like you do when pulling up the control center.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 16, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It might be a side effect of implementing the swipe from the right edge (to go back into the thread you just left). Whether it's a side effect of the hacky dickery we did to get that feature working, or simply a side effect of having gestures from both the left and the right edges, I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It definitely is.

• Locked thread