Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Myron Baloney posted:

You don't break them open you freak them. Roughly the same size as a black & mild and everybody puts weed in those too. I have no idea how this matters.

I just don't know what to say when I see departments that are like "Use of force reports in personnel files too? No we don't do that why would we?" *scratches head*. Lack of dashcams is also puzzling, I don't know of a single department in my area - even counting villages with 2 or 3 officers total - that lacks them. To illustrate how seriously critical cameras are now, a malfunctioning camera has to be reported 1st thing at start of shift or the officer is in a fair amount of poo poo even without any stops or incident to need it for. I look forward to body cams they can't come soon enough.

Presumably they spent all the dashcam money on MRAP fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not a smoker or anything but I figured you just used cigarette rolling papers, like I see for sale all around, for smoking pot.

Some of those are primarily used for smoking pot. People who roll their own using tobacco tend to prefer the blue zig-zags, but I've yet to see a store not carry the white ones which are used for weed.

People roll blunts as a matter of preference. No one is going to steal a box of cigarillos just for rolling paper, though. Maybe if they wanted to mix the weed and tobacco, I guess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

potato of destiny posted:

Presumably they spent all the dashcam money on MRAP fuel.

They might get the fuel free if its some special type of gas instead of diesel. Whats that gas that US tanks and other heavy stuff run on?

Plus wasn't it that they had the cameras in a storeroom and suspiciously never got around to setting them up?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Real hurthling! posted:

They might get the fuel free if its some special type of gas instead of diesel. Whats that gas that US tanks and other heavy stuff run on?

Plus wasn't it that they had the cameras in a storeroom and suspiciously never got around to setting them up?

JP8

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Abrams use jet fuel for their turbine engines you silly person.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I'm sorry there's no footage of this (yet) because I just watched it live on Rachel Maddow's show but the Browns' attorney, during his reiteration of the "do not take the bait, do not engage in violence" plea with the community in the wake of the release of the robbery footage, added, "don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe."

As you were.

edit: yes, that. also now we have grenades in our avs, this world never ceases to amaze and inspire.
VVVVV

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 16, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Von Sloneker posted:

I'm sorry there's no footage of this (yet) because I just watched it live on Rachel Maddow's show but the Browns' attorney, during his reiteration of the "do not take the bait, do not engage in violence" plea with the community in the wake of the release of the robbery footage, added, "don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe."

As you were.

That's the weirdest way and context to say 'don't do anal' I've ever heard.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I really, really hope that the Feds know where he is. Both for his safety and so they can prosecute his rear end.

Yeah a cop skipping town after a deadly incident a couple days earlier isnt suspicious to anyone at all.

These guys are some IRL keystone cops but with enough fire power to conduct a low level insurgency, mostly on short sighted government handouts.

Welfare queens and their MRAPs, drat.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 16, 2014

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Swishers loving suck for making blunts. Their wrapping is paper-thin breaks all the time, compared to say Pom-Poms which have a wrapping made of several layers of proper dried tobacco leaf. Unless they're different in the States.

This is my erudite contribution to discourse on the Rodney King incident of our times.

You should always open a pack of Swishers right after you buy them. If it's not fresh, you can return them at no cost and get a fresher pack.

Pro Swisher tip: after you split it, breathe warm air over it. It'll act like a humidifier and soften up the wrap.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm pretty sure all the county PD armored vehicles just use diesel or gasoline. Military vehicles, generators, and heaters use JP-8 jet fuel, but that fuel is actually kerosene-based and is used in almost everything that would ordinarily be diesel for logistics' sake. Stuff that uses JP-8 can generally use diesel just fine.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not a smoker or anything but I figured you just used cigarette rolling papers, like I see for sale all around, for smoking pot.

I'm not super knowledgeable about pot culture but I vaguely associate blunts with being a more stereotypically African American thing. It definitely fits a nice racist narrative about him knocking off a convenience store for Swishers to roll blunts, then when the kind police officer rolls down his window to ask what he's doing in the middle of the street, Brown panics thinking he's being busted for the robbery and grabs for the officer's gun.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Does anyone know what database the NYT pulled this 1033 info from?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/15/us/surplus-military-equipment-map.html?smid=tw-nytimes

I've seen a few news organizations publishing similar data, so I assume it wasn't FOIAd, but I can't find it online

edit: bleh, they did FOIA it all the way back to 2000, just aren't publishing the raw data.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 16, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not super knowledgeable about pot culture but I vaguely associate blunts with being a more stereotypically African American thing. It definitely fits a nice racist narrative about him knocking off a convenience store for Swishers to roll blunts, then when the kind police officer rolls down his window to ask what he's doing in the middle of the street, Brown panics thinking he's being busted for the robbery and grabs for the officer's gun.

Though again, we don't have any confirmation on whether or not he actually tried to grab the gun at all.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This entire incident emphasizes the need for police officers to have video recorders on their bodies at all times. There's no good excuse not to with modern technology.

I train security guards and work for a security company. All our guys are required by policy to have recording of any contact they make. On the basic level when someone accuses you of being rude it's easy to prove you weren't to keep clients happy. On the more extreme end it makes use of force situations much more clean cut. One of my students (white) was accused of a civil rights violation by a black inmate while he was working in a jail. The FBI reviewed the video which showed 10+ minutes of trying to reason and gain compliance in a cell search. The inmate initiated the assault on the guard and it was all recorded. The FBI determined there was no civil rights violation within 24 hours.

Lack of timely information seems to be the main aggravating factor in these incidents for public outcry. There's no reason video couldn't be reviewed by lawyers and released to the public within 24-72 hours.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SinistralRifleman posted:

This entire incident emphasizes the need for police officers to have video recorders on their bodies at all times. There's no good excuse not to with modern technology.
Besides other things, it's a money issue, right? They get all this military hardware almost for free, so there's no "if they have money for APCs surely they have money for this" argument to be made. There is of course an initial cost of cameras versus cost of litigation argument to be made, but that would require the kind of forethought that a PD like this clearly doesn't have.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
Wanna know the hosed up thing? The Ferguson PD has body cameras. They just don't use them. That's right. They spent God knows how much loving money on body cameras and and just flat out do not use them.

I live 0.3 miles from West Florissant and Chambers. I live ON Chambers Road. The past week has been completely loving surreal.

Sappo
Apr 6, 2002

Can't stop the rock!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Besides other things, it's a money issue, right? They get all this military hardware almost for free, so there's no "if they have money for APCs surely they have money for this" argument to be made. There is of course an initial cost of cameras versus cost of litigation argument to be made, but that would require the kind of forethought that a PD like this clearly doesn't have.

well they also refuse to install cams that they actually have in storage because they don't want to, apparently

so much like everything else to do with police policy the only way to change it for the better is to force them to do so with municipal, state, or federal legislation

Sappo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 16, 2014

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Party protest:
http://instagram.com/p/rvbnkUkQf6/

Same guy tweeted a pic of someone out there playing a drum set.
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/500460268334235649/photo/1

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

D Lambent posted:

Wanna know the hosed up thing? The Ferguson PD has body cameras. They just don't use them. That's right. They spent God knows how much loving money on body cameras and and just flat out do not use them.
Okay wow, not only do they not have the foresight like I mentioned earlier, but they can not see anything directly in front of their face. I hope they are destroyed and rebuilt by this.

edit: under what conditions were they bought, if they didn't intend to use them?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 16, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Those free APC's and MRAP's aren't free to run or repair. That right there is money that could be used to buy a camera or five.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The relevant gag starts at 6m09s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1umshC5U1s&t=369s

If St. Louis police refuse to use cameras this could be a the start of an important shift in policing. It is really a shame that another young man had to die for it to happen.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I was working as a cop there's no way I'd work without a camera rolling to cover my own rear end. The people scared of cameras are generally ones that don't know the law, don't know policy, and are afraid they'll get in trouble.

Private sector security has seen a definite cost savings in decreased litigation, less time testifying, and when the cops show up to arrest someone that was committing crimes on the property it is significantly easier to prove what they were doing. When the tax payers foot the bill for litigation, they don't care if all those things are more costly.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
"Oh whoops, my tactical vest's pocket flap accidentally covered my camera! You can clearly hear me yell 'Drop the gun!' though, right?"

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I haven't seen anything on who foots the bill on parts - it could be the federal government in partial or full.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

"Oh whoops, my tactical vest's pocket flap accidentally covered my camera! You can clearly hear me yell 'Drop the gun!' though, right?"

I would assume there would be a connected law saying any time the camera "malfunctioned" or was left off, it is assumed that the suspect is innocent. Should fold neatly under current "evidence destruction" laws.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Everblight posted:

I would assume there would be a connected law saying any time the camera "malfunctioned" or was left off, it is assumed that the suspect is innocent. Should fold neatly under current "evidence destruction" laws.

You honestly believe that such a law or even assumption would exist?

You are far more optimistic than I am. :smith:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you want to roll a joint. Joints are all pot. Blunts are made with weed and tobacco, and if you convert a store bought cheap cigar or cigarillo you can modify the flavor as well, which is useful if you're smoking cheap lovely weed. It's not a certainty but it's pretty likely that these Swishers were intended for weed smoking, but then again when I was 18 I was stupid as hell and smoked cloves.

The main takeaway is that blunts of this kind are sort of associated with African-American pot culture so you're going to hear implications even though for all we know Mike Brown enjoyed smoking Swishers straight up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1033 should require full dashcam and bodycam deployment before any hardware is delivered. If you can't dress for the occasions, no military overkill for you.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
So I'm reading through the thread trying to catch up. Do we know for sure if Brown was shot in the back from a distance, while running away? (I know people have said 35 feet, not sure where that comes from). Just want to know what exactly is known and not merely spceulated about the actual shooting itself.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay wow, not only do they not have the foresight like I mentioned earlier, but they can not see anything directly in front of their face. I hope they are destroyed and rebuilt by this.

edit: under what conditions were they bought, if they didn't intend to use them?

No idea. I live in Bellefontaine roughly .3 miles from the intersection of West Florissant and Chambers. I live ON Chambers. I worked in Ferguson for several years and I have friends and family there. The cops are corrupt, useless and profiling. I remember hearing a little while ago that they got body cameras there but never heard anything of it afterward.

The truth is Moline Acres, Bellefontaine, Riverview.. They're all corrupt and profile the poo poo out of everyone. They make senseless traffic stops and play favorites with local authorities so they get their way. The municipalities here in NoCo are hosed. And the cops are a huge reason why.

Here is an article mentioning the cameras: http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/12/ferguson-police-chief-says-no-dashcams-i

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TrixR4kids posted:

So I'm reading through the thread trying to catch up. Do we know for sure if Brown was shot in the back from a distance, while running away? (I know people have said 35 feet, not sure where that comes from). Just want to know what exactly is known and not merely spceulated about the actual shooting itself.

Multiple witnesses have said he started running away after the first shot, then came to a complete stop and put his hands in the air before the fatal shots.

Unfortunately so much of this story is never going to be more than 'speculation'. The Ferguson police claim that the officer was treated for a head injury caused by Michael Brown, but have not released or even confirmed the existence of any evidence pointing to that. We don't even know for a fact how many times Brown was shot, as the results of his autopsy will not be released until after a full toxicology report that the department said is supposed to take weeks.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

TrixR4kids posted:

All of the details are based on eye witness accounts saying that Michael was shot twice in the back while retreating, turned around and was shot five more times in the chest and possibly head. Nothing else has been released and won't be until the autopsy is released in 3 to 6 weeks.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
As for eyewitnesses it's Dorian and Tiffany (who has no relation to Brown) correct? Are there any others? I thought Tiffany said she was with someone who was videotaping the confrontation with police but maybe I misheard.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Popular Thug Drink posted:

If you want to roll a joint. Joints are all pot. Blunts are made with weed and tobacco, and if you convert a store bought cheap cigar or cigarillo you can modify the flavor as well, which is useful if you're smoking cheap lovely weed. It's not a certainty but it's pretty likely that these Swishers were intended for weed smoking, but then again when I was 18 I was stupid as hell and smoked cloves.

The main takeaway is that blunts of this kind are sort of associated with African-American pot culture so you're going to hear implications even though for all we know Mike Brown enjoyed smoking Swishers straight up.

I've seen people smoke swishers, black and milds, etc that they didn't split open before, and also who twists a blunt and puts that lovely tobacco back into it? the cigarillo paper is the only tobacco that should be in a blunt.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrixR4kids posted:

As for eyewitnesses it's Dorian and Tiffany (who has no relation to Brown) correct? Are there any others? I thought Tiffany said she was with someone who was videotaping the confrontation with police but maybe I misheard.

There's also the guy who live tweeted the event. It has been posted a couple of times in the thread. So at least 3 people saying roughly the same thing.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Personally, I'm going to keep waiting for more information to come out about the whole situation, and to let the investigation run its course before I jump to an emotionally charged conclusion.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The guy who lived on the street and live tweeted it said two shots while he was running away, then he turned around and five more shots.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PuTTY riot posted:

I've seen people smoke swishers, black and milds, etc that they didn't split open before, and also who twists a blunt and puts that lovely tobacco back into it? the cigarillo paper is the only tobacco that should be in a blunt.

When I was 18 I made terrible smoking decisions too. I'm not trying to say that's what Brown's plan was, I'm just trying to explain to people who don't smoke pot the implications that racists will make. Most of the time when I smoke a black person's weed it's just a plain old joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PuTTY riot posted:

It's called a spliff.

• Locked thread