Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

-If you have a healing action queued up and the last enemy dies, the healing action goes off automatically.

This is a great feature that everyone should adopt. It's so obnoxious in most games, especially ones where you can't use abilities outside of battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Bobo the Red posted:

This is a great feature that everyone should adopt. It's so obnoxious in most games, especially ones where you can't use abilities outside of battle.

In a similar vein, Chrono Cross requires you to basically charge up by performing basic attack actions in order to use your spells. At the end of a battle, if any characters with healing spells have the charge to use them, they do so automatically.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
e: removed pedantry

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 16, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

FredMSloniker posted:

In a similar vein, Chrono Cross requires you to basically charge up by performing basic attack actions in order to use your spells. At the end of a battle, if any characters with healing spells have the charge to use them, they do so automatically.

Oh yeah! I haven't played Chrono Cross in a while. I was lucky in a way, because I hadn't ever heard of or played CT, so I got to enjoy it.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Ok, I finally made to the end of Revengeance but I'm having a brutal time finishing the last fight against Senator Armstrong. Got zero nanopastes left and the bastard can kill me in 5 hits. The farthest I've gotten in the fight is when he starts to throw debris at you that you need to cut just exactly. There is a 1 second window to line up a cut and the mouse is not helping matters. For some stupid reason the cursor starts horizontal and the adjustment takes too long. I'm about to drop the game because this is fake difficulty. I had fun at almost every boss fight but this one sucks. Does anyone have any tips on how to kill him?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TerryLennox posted:

Ok, I finally made to the end of Revengeance but I'm having a brutal time finishing the last fight against Senator Armstrong. Got zero nanopastes left and the bastard can kill me in 5 hits. The farthest I've gotten in the fight is when he starts to throw debris at you that you need to cut just exactly. There is a 1 second window to line up a cut and the mouse is not helping matters. For some stupid reason the cursor starts horizontal and the adjustment takes too long. I'm about to drop the game because this is fake difficulty. I had fun at almost every boss fight but this one sucks. Does anyone have any tips on how to kill him?

If you dash straight forward toward him, you'll run under the blocks and be safe. HOWEVER, if you slash the blocks, they'll drop nanopastes you can use to heal up; the trick is, don't aim. You're taking too long to line up a perfect slash, but all you need to do is a quick motion in the general direction and you'll pull it off just fine. It's like Star Wars, just trust your instincts, turn off your targeting computer, and be the cyborg badass you always knew you could be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TerryLennox posted:

Get yourself a wired xbox controller and never have a problem with this, or any other similar fast-paced third-person game :v:.

Serious answer; you don't have to slash across with the mouse (assuming it works like the Right Stick on the console version), just line it up and press one of the attack buttons.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It works better if you switch the sticks so LS controls the angle, RS controls the camera, and you can get the angle and hit a face button. I always hosed up Armstrong because I would snap the stick like an idiot everytime and gently caress up the angle and the cut and promptly die.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

TerryLennox posted:

The farthest I've gotten in the fight is when he starts to throw debris at you that you need to cut just exactly.

Stop trying to do it perfectly. How many targets you need to hit depends on the difficulty level. If I remember right, below Hard you can hit only two and get away with it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

blakyoshi posted:

Stop trying to do it perfectly. How many targets you need to hit depends on the difficulty level. If I remember right, below Hard you can hit only two and get away with it.

This is good advice for cutting stuff in general. Don't overthink it and try to fuss it into being perfect or you'll mess it up. Do it quickly and more often than not you'll be a lot more accurate than trying to fine-tune it.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
You can also dodge twice (I always went right dunno if left works) and the debris will miss you, then you can run up and get a few hits in. He is an rear end in a top hat.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

PRL412 posted:

This is mostly true with a couple of exceptions where you split into 2 teams of 3. If you've been drawing magic frequently, everyone should have leftover magic they can junction and get by for those specific areas.

A lot of people get by without junctioning 1 of the 2 teams, so you're already ahead of the game by leaving them weaker spells.

Actually, you can transfer your junctions entirely from one character to another in these situations. And thanks to the level scaling everyone hates so much, you can use a team of level 10-15ish characters that you never used the whole game to beat one of the optional bosses in the final dungeon just by virtue of junctions.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Divinity: Original Sin question: Is there a condition required to meet in order to raise skills past a certain threshold? I'm still in the early game.

Also I'm not seeing a wiki entry for this yet, if anyone wants to toss their hat in.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I checked the wiki, but I couldn't find anything for Excitebike ...

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Divinity: Original Sin question: Is there a condition required to meet in order to raise skills past a certain threshold? I'm still in the early game.

Also I'm not seeing a wiki entry for this yet, if anyone wants to toss their hat in.

The cost to raise a skill increases by 1 for every level in the skill (not counting levels granted by gear or bonuses). So level 1 costs 1 point, level 2 costs 2 points, etc.

I can't remember the exact breakpoints, but you'll eventually start getting more skillpoints per character level, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Disgaea 4, the PS3 version.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

tidiox posted:

I can't remember the exact breakpoints, but you'll eventually start getting more skillpoints per character level, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's still pretty bad. You get 49 skill points up to level 20, 68 if you're Lone Wolf. You'll also unlock stuff in the Main Hub that let you trade a talent point for 2 attribute points or 10 skill points - note that this basically makes Talents like Scientist, All Skilled Up, or Bigger and Better completely obsolete.

Generally speaking you'll only be able to muster +2 or +3 to skills, but that can be used to make up the numbers for stuff like Crafting.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Stelas posted:

It's still pretty bad. You get 49 skill points up to level 20, 68 if you're Lone Wolf. You'll also unlock stuff in the Main Hub that let you trade a talent point for 2 attribute points or 10 skill points - note that this basically makes Talents like Scientist, All Skilled Up, or Bigger and Better completely obsolete.

Generally speaking you'll only be able to muster +2 or +3 to skills, but that can be used to make up the numbers for stuff like Crafting.

There's also a homestead vendor who sells +3 skill point consumables that restock every level, and the only reason to take most skills to 5 is for talents. You'll be fine unless you take a bunch of non-combat skills, and even then the game's difficulty curve peaks at like level 8 so you have room to branch out.

Don't spread yourself too thin but there are some very good spells that only require level 1. Witchcraft has a 50% damage buff, Scoundrel has a self-haste, teleport, and invisibility, Geomancer has a poison-immune spider. There are others, don't be afraid to diversify a bit.

Other D:OS stuff, since I just finished it:

Talents aren't balanced at all. Glass Cannon and Leech have no prerequisites, and Leech has no trade-off. Glass Cannon halves your HP from Constitution but that effect is meaningless by the end since resistances are more important than HP, and Leech makes physical damage meaningless since most hits make you bleed and heal yourself.

Crafting/blacksmithing are useful and can totally break the game economy if you're willing to take the time. I wasn't patient enough. There's a party member in the first town who comes with Scientist (+1 to both)

Take a point in Loremaster on someone. You can find it on necklaces and rings, so you won't need more than the one point for a long time. This just saves you from needing to go back to town to identify. On a similar note, 1 blacksmithing and a repair hammer on all of your characters with physical attacks means you don't have to waste a ton of time repairing.

You can respec both main characters later on, but all their skill books are lost. This isn't a huge deal though because you can craft spell books, but there are some skills that never show up again (mainly the two Man-at-Arms AOEs)

You're going to want sneak on someone, and you'll probably be tempted to have a ranged character to use all the arrows you find. It makes sense to have one character start out as a Ranger for utility but avoid taking too many points in Marksman, then switch over to Scoundrel for much higher damage.

Witchcraft is lousy as a primary because it doesn't get much direct damage until level 16 but it has tons of utility, you'll be happy you put some points in for your Int characters by late game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, it's not that bad. Just go in with a specific plan for your characters and you're basically guaranteed to be alright. Also I just realised what made my point sound extremely pessimistic:

Stelas posted:

I meant you'll be able to get +2/+3 to most skills via items, if you keep crafting sets around. Not via spending or anything.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
My question may be against the spirit of this thread, but I've been bitten by the nostalgia bug, and would like to experience Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear 3: Snake Eater again, or, to be completely honest, actually play them for the first time. In my teens, I saw tidbits of both games while visiting my friends, but never got to be the person holding the controller. So, what would be the most enjoyable way to play these games today? I currently own a high-end PC and an Xbox 360, but I'm probably getting a PS4 in the near future. I'm aware of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, but I'm unsure if there are plans for a similar release on PS4 - for example, is the Legacy Collection downloadable on PS Store?

I'm just wanting to make sure I don't get burned like I sort of did with the Gamecube Resident Evil Remake: just a few weeks after getting it, news drop of an HD remake of the GC remake. :saddowns:

So, what would be my best option?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kind of a dumb question, but how does one dodge in MGR: Revengeance?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

X+A, along with a direction. That's assuming you're using an xbox controller, that is. Square+X for the PS3, and whatever the equivalent PC controls are.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Morpheus posted:

You need to buy it in the shop. It has a really dumb name - "Defensive Offense"

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Also the "HELP" button in the start button menu is in fact a move list.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Anything for Dragon's Crown? Specifically, I'm playing as the elf if that matters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's a what? :suspense:. I've beaten the game twice and not known that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

President Ark posted:

You need to buy it in the shop. It has a really dumb name - "Defensive Offense"

Did buy it, but never actually found out how to use it.

Huh. This is really good to know.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Did buy it, but never actually found out how to use it.

Huh. This is really good to know.

Something to keep in mind is that Raiden's dodge is really an absolute last resort, and you really need to learn how to effectively parry at some point because there's several bosses that will tear you apart if you don't. The game is built around parrying everything that soldier/tank/giant robot throws at you then slicing it into confetti.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Parrying was frustrating for me at first before I realized the timing is much easier than I thought. You can start your parry almost a full second before the attack strikes. I'm so used to action games that look at parry's as an advanced technique you can get by without, but in this game it's easier so you can feel like a total badass and always use it in your standard moveset.

I died a lot before I figured this out and then destroyed the rest of the game once I got it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Anything for Tropico 5?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Parrying was frustrating for me at first before I realized the timing is much easier than I thought. You can start your parry almost a full second before the attack strikes. I'm so used to action games that look at parry's as an advanced technique you can get by without, but in this game it's easier so you can feel like a total badass and always use it in your standard moveset.

I died a lot before I figured this out and then destroyed the rest of the game once I got it.

Chip Cheezum (of LP forum fame) put together a solid tutorial video on how to parry most effectively.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Chip Cheezum (of LP forum fame) put together a solid tutorial video on how to parry most effectively.

Dang that is a good video. Can anything be parried, then? I totally did not think you could parry a giant stomping foot (but then, I guess I'm used to other games where there are 'blockable' moves and 'non-blockable' moves)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Dang that is a good video. Can anything be parried, then? I totally did not think you could parry a giant stomping foot (but then, I guess I'm used to other games where there are 'blockable' moves and 'non-blockable' moves)

When an enemy flashes yellow they are performing an attack that cannot be parried.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The only things you can't parry pretty much are fire blasts and yellow colored abilities, which need to be dodged.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mr E posted:

The only things you can't parry pretty much are fire blasts and yellow colored abilities, which need to be dodged.

Does the entire enemy flash yellow? I seem to remember the Gekkos' legs flash yellow when they're about to kick, and I thought I've parried those in the past, but I could be mis-remembering.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Any useful tips for helping me be the very best, like no one ever was? I don't remember actually finishing a game since Gen I though I did own (but never played much) Heartgold though I missed Gen IV completely so I'm wondering about new stuff. I sort of understand Pokemonami and super training but only the minigame part none of the stat stuff. For me Pokemon breeding never went deeper than make two Pokemon gently caress, hope you get an egg. Useful moves, stuff like that.

edit: I wasn't very clear, I'm asking about Pokemon X/Y

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

juliuspringle posted:

Any useful tips for helping me be the very best, like no one ever was? I don't remember actually finishing a game since Gen I though I did own (but never played much) Heartgold though I missed Gen IV completely so I'm wondering about new stuff. I sort of understand Pokemonami and super training but only the minigame part none of the stat stuff. For me Pokemon breeding never went deeper than make two Pokemon gently caress, hope you get an egg. Useful moves, stuff like that.

If you just want to beat the main game, you really don't have to worry about any of that poo poo. Remember: The game is targeted at children.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

juliuspringle posted:

Keep EXP. Share on. Enjoy steamrolling the game.

That's it. Seriously. Super Training and Pokemon amie are both 100% optional, so give them a shot and if you find them tedious just don't do them. Pick your favorite pokemon. It's not a complex game. After one of the gyms (I don't remember which one, honestly) you're given a great pokemon with a mega stone that can basically handle the rest of the game for you, if you're having trouble.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

These Loving Eyes posted:

My question may be against the spirit of this thread, but I've been bitten by the nostalgia bug, and would like to experience Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear 3: Snake Eater again, or, to be completely honest, actually play them for the first time. In my teens, I saw tidbits of both games while visiting my friends, but never got to be the person holding the controller. So, what would be the most enjoyable way to play these games today? I currently own a high-end PC and an Xbox 360, but I'm probably getting a PS4 in the near future. I'm aware of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, but I'm unsure if there are plans for a similar release on PS4 - for example, is the Legacy Collection downloadable on PS Store?

I'm just wanting to make sure I don't get burned like I sort of did with the Gamecube Resident Evil Remake: just a few weeks after getting it, news drop of an HD remake of the GC remake. :saddowns:

So, what would be my best option?

There's nothing from Konami about releasing the Legacy collection on PS4 or PC. Your best option is the HD Collection for Xbox 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Morpheus posted:

Does the entire enemy flash yellow? I seem to remember the Gekkos' legs flash yellow when they're about to kick, and I thought I've parried those in the past, but I could be mis-remembering.

Only if the ENTIRE enemy enemy flashes yellow. Also there are attack that cause enemies or parts of enemies to flash orange, which means something else that I'm not remembering. Also the bosses in the final mission both have attacks that can technically be parried but you still take damage if you do and it's better to abuse invincibility frames on dodging.