Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We don't need to spoiler speculation, y'all.

Also Tenzin's maybe-death is Korra doing something that the original series did very well: taking advantage of its status as a "kidsfamily show." Were this series NOT ostensibly targeted towards kids, we'd all "know" Tenzin isn't dead because we didn't see the body. But now that ambiguity is actually believable, since we know that if he did die they couldn't have shown it.

My new theory is that the Red Lotus doesn't want to take Korra alive, they just want to take her out while she's in the Avatar State so that the cycle ends forever (which they would know after learning about Raava, as Zaheer says they have.)

I also would love it if Korra tried to energybend Zaheer and it backfires, and Zaheer is like "My spirit is unbendable, Avatar."

The lion turtle told Aang that losing the battle of wills while trying to energybend would be really bad for Aang, right? Like, "your soul gets totally hosed up" bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We don't need to spoiler speculation, y'all.

Also Tenzin's maybe-death is Korra doing something that the original series did very well: taking advantage of its status as a "kidsfamily show." Were this series NOT ostensibly targeted towards kids, we'd all "know" Tenzin isn't dead because we didn't see the body. But now that ambiguity is actually believable, since we know that if he did die they couldn't have shown it.

My new theory is that the Red Lotus doesn't want to take Korra alive, they just want to take her out while she's in the Avatar State so that the cycle ends forever (which they would know after learning about Raava, as Zaheer says they have.)

I also would love it if Korra tried to energybend Zaheer and it backfires, and Zaheer is like "My spirit is unbendable, Avatar."

Or he's like, "Oh well! and kicks the poo poo out of her without bending. He WAS the leader of the Red Lotus BEFORE he was an airbender.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Ming Hua probably wouldn't have been able to bloodbend in prison because, IIRC, it has always been shone to use very heavy hand and finger movements to control the blood. Maybe one of the Season 1 bloodbenders didn't need to but if so I can't remember it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Man, that was a great episode. Love Zuko. Want Toph now.

LOK really does live up to ATLA. Including being kinda bad for the first 20 or so episodes.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dj_clawson posted:

Or he's like, "Oh well! and kicks the poo poo out of her without bending. He WAS the leader of the Red Lotus BEFORE he was an airbender.

Ozai seemed completely drained after Aang took his bending, I doubt Zaheer could put up much of a fight against a bender and martial artist as strong as Korra in that condition.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The one thing that felt a bit "bad" to me here -- the one single thing in midst of a completely awesome episode -- is that there was whole bit about them not being able to contact the Northern Air Temple and it just turned out the reason was that...welp, they just weren't paying attention to calls for some reason. Like, the gently caress were you all doing the whole day? Where did all your slaves acolytes go? It just felt a little contrived, like they needed a reason that the airbenders couldn't evacuate in time, except there was no reason that they could evacuate on time until you brought up the reason they couldn't!.....
:supaburn:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I will be disappointed if that cliffhanger gets resolved next week with a reveal that they really did kill Tenzin, if only because we haven't seen him do anything cool successfully yet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bongo Bill posted:

I will be disappointed if that cliffhanger gets resolved next week with a reveal that they really did kill Tenzin, if only because we haven't seen him do anything cool successfully yet.

I am pretty satisfied that they made it abundantly clear he could handle up to 3 of the top benders in the world solo.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Bumi was actually very clever this fight because instead of trying to depend on air bending he just grabs the dude and tries to bite his ear off.

Really even with the biting aside, he's an experienced combatant, in a world where even if you're a non-bender you've fought benders before. Even if he's new at being an airbender, is it any wonder that it was his siblings that Tenzin asked to cover the escape of the rest?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Would lavabending really be of much use to Bolin? It's an insanely lethal form of bending heavy on the collateral damage, completely inappropriate for the team's most happy-go-lucky member.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011
What?? They're not going to kill off Tenzin. They panned away because he was being beaten/tortured into submission.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

That was a drat good episode

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh actually, it's kinda nice to see the Northern Air Temple in such a pristine state (before the Red Lotus came along at least). The Mechanist had done a shitton of damage to the structures to install his crap, so it's nice to see that poo poo had (apparently) been torn out and the original structures restored.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Retro Ghost posted:

What?? They're not going to kill off Tenzin. They panned away because he was being beaten/tortured into submission.

The mentor always dies so the protege can come into his own. Tenzin biting it puts the onus of rebuilding the air nation on Korra (or Zaheer) and sets up a conflict where she must choose between her avatorial duties and her perceived duty to Tenzin/Aang.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

On the other hand, it's a cliffhanger, and we all know how cliffhangers work. Really, the question is whether they didn't show it because it did happen, or they didn't show it because they only want us to think it was about to happen.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

The mentor always dies so the protege can come into his own.

Iroh didn't.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Iroh didn't.

Iroh hosed off for an entire season. He only came back at the last second to tell Zuko 'atta boy.'

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Iroh hosed off for an entire season. He only came back at the last second to tell Zuko 'atta boy.'

And to rally the White Lotus to take Ba Sing Se back like a badass.

loving off for an entire season isn't dying, though. You could even compare that to Korra not hanging around with Tenzin much this season, more than you could compare it to a death.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Have they ever spoken about their original plan with Iron if Mako hadn't passed away?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

PriorMarcus posted:

Have they ever spoken about their original plan with Iron if Mako hadn't passed away?

Have Toph bend it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Retro Ghost posted:

Exactly this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd imagine it'd probably be roughly the same as it ended up. By keeping his appearances to a minimum, they had something that would force Zuko to grow and become his own man without having Iroh to lean on as a crutch throughout it all.

Having Iroh drill "you done hosed up" into his skull would be one thing; having Zuko come to realize it (mostly) on his own made his arc more compelling, in my opinion.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Regalingualius posted:

I'd imagine it'd probably be roughly the same as it ended up. By keeping his appearances to a minimum, they had something that would force Zuko to grow and become his own man without having Iroh to lean on as a crutch throughout it all.

Having Iroh drill "you done hosed up" into his skull would be one thing; having Zuko come to realize it (mostly) on his own made his arc more compelling, in my opinion.

I figured maybe he would break out earlier and we would see him recruit some White Lotus people or even have some scenes of him talking to Ozai while captive. Keeping him and Zuko apart was definitely for the best, but it would've been interesting if they had utilized him in some other way.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
The AV Club reviewer is calling this the best season of the entire Avatar franchise.

Maybe ATLA isn't as fresh in my mind, but I'm inclined to agree. I was never as excited in that series as I am for this season.

Finale, please don't be a huge letdown!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The season finale needs to land it really well, i'm not sure if i'm ready to say it's THE best Avatar has been, but at the very least it's on par with Book 2 of ATLA, which was the best book.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Even ATLA Book 2 gave us The Great Divide.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Even ATLA Book 2 gave us The Great Divide.

No it didn't, that was Book 1.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

thexerox123 posted:

No it didn't, that was Book 1.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also The Swamp.

blruuheghhg

I will hate The Swamp for as long as I breathe.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Superstring posted:

What! That's a great episode. It has Kyoshi backstory, Sokka being a detective, this guy:

(The Swamp, however... while I don't personally mind it, I'm not going to try to argue that it's a good episode.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 16, 2014

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

What! That's a great episode. It has Kyoshi backstory, Sokka being a detective, this guy:

Yes, those were pretty good parts. The village of the week in that ep was annoying as hell though.

BrianWilly posted:

Also The Swamp.

blruuheghhg

I will hate The Swamp for as long as I breathe.

I liked The Swamp. :shrug:

In other notes, lots of people have brought up how cool it was to see Tenzin and Zaheer finally fight it out. What's interesting is that despite it being the first Airbender vs. Airbender fight ever shown, Tenzin and Zaheer have pretty different bending styles. Zaheer uses a lot of... almost capoeira style kicks where he's kicking with both legs while supporting himself with one or both arms. It's definitely different than how we've seen Aang or Tenzin move, whick makes sense.

All the Red Lotus have pretty neat touches to their bending styles that set them apart from other benders actually. Ghazan uses a ton of elbow strikes in his movements and Ming Hua swings around like a Spider-Man.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Superstring posted:

All the Red Lotus have pretty neat touches to their bending styles that set them apart from other benders actually. Ghazan uses a ton of elbow strikes in his movements and Ming Hua swings around like a Spider-Man.

Yeah, actually it's really cool! I had always wondered if they'd introduce some kind of Muay Thai-like bender and we got something like that with Ghazan. It actually kind of makes a ton of sense -- Muay Thai is a very strong, "hard" style of fighting, practical, no-frills and quite lethal. Yet it's fast and flexible, so lava makes complete sense.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So, did the Airbenders get away at the end? It seemed like the bison all got scared off, leaving them stranded except for Kai.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I figured the airbenders were still stranded, because the bison got spooked.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm willing to bet Gazhan (how do you spell it?) learned elemental state changing from Ming-hua, just like Iroh I learned lightning redirection by emulating waterbenders.

Waterbending best bending.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I know the circumstances to set it up would have to be contrived as all hell. But a part of me does wish that the climax of the next season, which may very well be the last we see of the Avatar universe ever, were a fight between Korra against another Avatar-esque multi-element bender. That would be totes sick.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Bongo Bill posted:

On the other hand, it's a cliffhanger, and we all know how cliffhangers work. Really, the question is whether they didn't show it because it did happen, or they didn't show it because they only want us to think it was about to happen.

We still haven't seen the Zaheer/Tenzen philosocombat scene, so I honestly doubt he's dead.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Superstring posted:

I know the circumstances to set it up would have to be contrived as all hell. But a part of me does wish that the climax of the next season, which may very well be the last we see of the Avatar universe ever, were a fight between Korra against another Avatar-esque multi-element bender. That would be totes sick.

Korra fights all four lion turtles.

Or can a spirit become a multielement bender?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheModernAmerican posted:

We still haven't seen the Zaheer/Tenzen philosocombat scene, so I honestly doubt he's dead.
Tenzin loving schooling Zaheer by showing him how a real Airbender does poo poo was philosophy enough. Zaheer uses the air to boost himself while Tenzin uses it to lift him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
What a fantastic episode. Tenzin's fate is up in the air, but I'm hoping he's going to be held as a bargaining chip.

Thinking about the lavabending etc the show has given us, I can't help but feel the 'advanced' techniques need some adjustment.

Water -> Ice
Air -> Lightning
Earth -> Metalbending
Fire -> Lavabending

Of course the airbender would have to manipulate some clouds to generate the lightning.

• Locked thread