Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

jivjov posted:

Nope, but when people bitch about something they were specifically prompted about (and can opt out of at any time) and decided to call it "the most sinister thing ever", I get a little upset.

Let me paraphrase my post so that you can be at ease "heh, nintendo advert made me want to buy things that I probably shouldn't buy given how I probably won't be in any hurry to play them!".

Now that probably won't have cured the underlying problem, but hope this helps.

Can anyone recommend any not-brand-new but Wii U only indie titles that are worth a punt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Trending Miiverse on the start page its actually brilliant advertising. I don't know if they realize they could actually prioritize certain games for money though.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

TheRam posted:

Can anyone recommend any not-brand-new but Wii U only indie titles that are worth a punt?

I don't know what you mean by brand new, but the two best ones on there are Guacamelee and Shovel Knight.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Literally every console is flooded with ads and Nintendo's has the fewest by far of any console

Seriously, if you think the gamepad occasionally blinking on to alert you to a sale occasionally is bad (a feature that can be disabled, even), imagine half the tiles on the home screen being taken up by adspace like on the Xbox with no option to get rid of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheRam posted:

Pushmo World is fantastic, but if you already have Pushmo on 3DS you may not "need" it.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Fremry posted:

I don't know what you mean by brand new, but the two best ones on there are Guacamelee and Shovel Knight.

Own and can't own because I'm a Brit. I've also got the NES remix games, Ice Cream Surfer, Pullblox World, Armillo, Trine 2 and Bombing Bastards.

Wondering if any of the random little games with not-many-ratings have actually charmed the pants off of anyone.

Also as someone who loved Jamestown I really really can't recommend Ice Cream Surfer. Looks good, plays :smith:.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

greatn posted:

Trending Miiverse on the start page its actually brilliant advertising. I don't know if they realize they could actually prioritize certain games for money though.
Hulu has a golden "recommended!!" border on Warawara and is omnipresent. I think they realized it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

TheRam posted:

Wondering if any of the random little games with not-many-ratings have actually charmed the pants off of anyone.

You could look at the Miiverse communities for those games. Some people buy literally everything on the eShop

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A lot of people seem to like scram kitty, though I haven't played it. I really like 1001 Spikes, but it has a major downside of not being able to play gamepad only. Nano Assault Neo is really fun and has great local co-op.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

homeless snail posted:

Hulu has a golden "recommended!!" border on Warawara and is omnipresent. I think they realized it.

I just realized that it's been forever since I last saw Warawara plaza. That quick-start up update is great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheRam posted:

Own and can't own because I'm a Brit

I couldn't believe this so I had a look at how far along they are on getting the game out to Europe and Australia and wherever else

They still have a lot to go.

I feel for you guys. Someone send a 3DS with Shovel Knight over to this guy stat :smith:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I shut off the blow glow for a notification on the original Wii when the light woke me up at like 4am to tell me the Weather Channel was now available for download.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

greatn posted:

A lot of people seem to like scram kitty, though I haven't played it. I really like 1001 Spikes, but it has a major downside of not being able to play gamepad only. Nano Assault Neo is really fun and has great local co-op.

1001 spikes another game I want but isn't out in Europe.

The Toad game is coming out late here too.

I hope we really get something to make the yanks hate us soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Dos posted:

I shut off the blow glow for a notification on the original Wii when the light woke me up at like 4am to tell me the Weather Channel was now available for download.

Man, am I the only one that misses poo poo like the Weather channel and especially the Everybody Votes channel? I remember coming home from classes and voting almost every single day. I loved that silly thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two Tribes recently did some weird quasi-bundle type pricing dealio on their games that lets you buy 'em all for 12EUR, get those if you haven't already.

EDIT: you have to buy Edge, Rush and Toki Tori (2EUR each) and it'll let you buy Toki Tori 2 for 6EUR instead of 15EUR.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 16, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TheRam posted:

The Toad game is coming out late here too.

EFIGS is going to be the death of me. :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Edge and Rush are actually really good too. To be honest I like them both far more than the Toki Tori games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

TheRam posted:

Muscle March. Okay it's a Wii game and not indie, but who cares get Muscle March.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The bitching about the totally optional gamepad advertisements is the weirdest thing.

Like I can vaguely understand where people are coming from with how annoying it could be even though their own stupidity ignored the prompts and left the feature on, but it's weird that we had an entire thread bitching about the problems with the Wii U with advertising being one of the sizeable ones, and now that they have bought in some way of advertising their specials and promotions, a whole new group of people have crawled out of the woodwork to bitch about it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

FPzero posted:

What is this?
Art of Balance, from independent developer Shin'en, who also made some of the prettiest-looking games on the Wii, as well as Nano Assault Neo, which is also stunning.

TheRam posted:

Scram Kitty, Nano Assault Neo. Scram Kitty, Nano Assault Neo. Scram Kitty's even half-price right now (which bugs me a little since I bought it JUST before, and I don't want to play it right now since there's an update coming soon, but ah well).

I would recommend Toki Tori 2+ as well because it is one of the best games in its genre that I've played, but the PC version has a level editor and the Wii U version does not. I gotta' get Mighty Switch Force HD sometime.

greatn posted:

Edge and Rush are actually really good too. To be honest I like them both far more than the Toki Tori games.
You are dumb Toki Tori 2 is one of the best things ever

TheRam posted:

I hope we really get something to make the yanks hate us soon.
You guys are already getting more connection sales and will probably have much more cross-buy options far sooner than we will.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It was a single winking comment about it suddenly flashing ads at him in the middle of the night. Wii U owners sure are defensive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wendell posted:

It was a single winking comment about it suddenly flashing ads at him in the middle of the night. Wii U owners sure are defensive.

Followed by others agreeing that its somehow "super lame" for your game console to inform you of ongoing sales and promotions.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tiki tori is " Hey here's a bird. It can walk or chirp. So do something, there's probably a goal or something"

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

TheRam posted:

Own and can't own because I'm a Brit. I've also got the NES remix games, Ice Cream Surfer, Pullblox World, Armillo, Trine 2 and Bombing Bastards.

Also as someone who loved Jamestown I really really can't recommend Ice Cream Surfer. Looks good, plays :smith:.
Toki Tori 2+ is a fun, if extremely short, little puzzle game. It was on sale for like 3€ or so a little while ago, I don't know how much it goes for normally though.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

greatn posted:

Tiki tori is " Hey here's a bird. It can walk or chirp. So do something, there's probably a goal or something"

and it owns

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'm not sure I would call Toki Tori "extremely short," since I think I put about 8 hours in before beating the game (though I did goof off to locations where I didn't need to be). I guess it may not be very long if you go straight for beating the game, but there's a huge amount of content beyond that.

greatn posted:

It sounds like you watched an ad for the game or only played it for a few minutes. It's a brilliant puzzle game that relies on clever, open-ended level design over amount of abilities. It teaches mechanics to the player without directly explaining said mechanics, meaning that the only barrier to entry for any area is your knowledge. The pace is slow, but it's compact, so something's always happening. The environmental elements are extremely strong, making for a relaxing, ambient experience.

tl;dr You are dumb :mad:

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

TheRam posted:

Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is unironically one of my favorite games on the system.

edit:

whoops, didn't notice we were talking Wii U only :downs:

I stand by my post still.

vvvvvvv

Gandalf21 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 16, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gandalf21 posted:

Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is unironically one of my favorite games on the system.

That said, its not Wii U Only. Its out on Steam as well.

(And its narrated by Charles Martinet)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

jivjov posted:

Followed by others agreeing that its somehow "super lame" for your game console to inform you of ongoing sales and promotions.

No one was actually angry about this. You guys need to chill out.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

jivjov posted:

That said, its not Wii U Only. Its out on Steam as well.

(And its narrated by Charles Martinet)

Wait, what?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

He's saying PC games always tend to have the superior ports. I see nothing incorrect about that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Taint Reaper posted:

PC games always tend to have the superior ports.

Gather round the fire kids, and let me tell you about a little game called Watch Dogs...

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

He's saying PC games always tend to have the superior ports. I see nothing incorrect about that.

but what if i don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a computer? What then?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are few to no Wii U-exclusive eShop indie games worth caring about... Scram Kitty, Spin The Bottle and Chasing Aurora are the only ones that spring to mind, as well as Nano Assault Neo which is based on the 3DS game but not identical. EDIT: Armillo might be okay, haven't played that one.

Affordable Space Adventure will be exclusive to Wii U, and Stealth Inc. 2 and Swords & Soldier 2 will be exclusive at launch, at the very least.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

Gather round the fire kids, and let me tell you about a little game called Watch Dogs...

Those aren't glitches that's emergent gameplay becoming self aware and trying to escape into a better game. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The original request was for Wii U exclusive games, and Runner 2 (while awesome) is not a Wii U exclusive. And yeah, the narrator for the small handful of cutscenes in the game is none other than the voice-of-all-the-Mario-Bros Charles Martinet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Macaluso posted:

Watch Dogs is a better PC port once you go into the game's code and turn the better graphics back on. :v:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Charles Martinet is totally the narrator of the game! He announces it emphatically himself as soon as you load it up! :mario:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Austrian mook posted:

but what if i don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a computer? What then?

Play inferior ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Play inferior ports

I'm okay with that since I can spend my money on better things

• Locked thread