Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Another, much more risky but fun, option would be to set up a siege weapon at the end of a long hallway that you can force them to run through. Of course the most likely end of that option is the dwarves you assign will decide to gently caress off and drink right before the enemy arrives. But hey, fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

No giant axe blades? No horrible amounts of spears and swords and knives swinging around? Shameful.

In other news, DFHack 40.08r2 just went up and it seems solid as a rock. The download link is the same one.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

While I do like DFHack, I do not like how some of their more major mods relies on it as an essential feature. It's about as stable as playing an unpatched Bethesda game on a console practically.

They had it really solid before the switchover. You might be able to do a ton with the RAW files, but DFhack is pretty much required to do anything complex or not planned for by toady(Or to do the performance improvements in MW). If you look through the RAW files for masterwork, half of the interactions are just hooks to get DFhack to do something.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
In some years-old version I used to embark with a heavily militarized crew, dig straight down to the first cavern level, and seal everyone off from the outside world. Live bait Immigrants would be allowed in via a shack on the surface with a bridge-and-moat, and sometimes I'd channel down a big spiral staircase so the caravan can get in. The big restriction was not letting myself do much, if any, digging once down there, instead having to utilize the cavern-space for workshops and farming and dorms.

I have fond memories of hoarding whatever kind of wood would grow down there in order to add to the giant miserable bed-pile everyone slept in. Or building a rickety scaffold to put a marksdwarf on so I could get rid of whatever was flying around and terrifying my farmer. Or rushing out a simple barricade to stop the swarms of beasts from charging into my settlement.

The open sides of the map meant all sorts of Fun things could come shambling in, and sometimes dwarves would desperately run out of the safety of their camp to drink from one of the gross ponds (since my booze industry was terribly inefficient), cheerfully bringing back any slavering monsters that caught sight of them.

Is this kind of playstyle still do-able in the current versions?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Soho Joe posted:

In some years-old version I used to embark with a heavily militarized crew, dig straight down to the first cavern level, and seal everyone off from the outside world. Live bait Immigrants would be allowed in via a shack on the surface with a bridge-and-moat, and sometimes I'd channel down a big spiral staircase so the caravan can get in. The big restriction was not letting myself do much, if any, digging once down there, instead having to utilize the cavern-space for workshops and farming and dorms.

I have fond memories of hoarding whatever kind of wood would grow down there in order to add to the giant miserable bed-pile everyone slept in. Or building a rickety scaffold to put a marksdwarf on so I could get rid of whatever was flying around and terrifying my farmer. Or rushing out a simple barricade to stop the swarms of beasts from charging into my settlement.

The open sides of the map meant all sorts of Fun things could come shambling in, and sometimes dwarves would desperately run out of the safety of their camp to drink from one of the gross ponds (since my booze industry was terribly inefficient), cheerfully bringing back any slavering monsters that caught sight of them.

Yes! It's very fun.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Soho Joe posted:

You can -- the only hitch is that if your dwarves don't have any points in Discipline, seeing death and dangerous creatures may make them freak the gently caress out and do nothing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I've never used dfhack before. What's a good list of utilities to be using?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Glory of Arioch posted:

I get the most use out of digv (designate entire vein for digging) and prospect (mineral probe) personally, but I'm really into the siege engine GUI (turns siege weapons into free-aiming archer type things with designated arcs of fire and lets you load catapults with anything), the armory functionality restoration (weapon racks and armor stands actually work and take priority before stockpiles when people change out of uniform), Dwarf Manipulator (in-game Dwarf Therapist type interface accessible from the unit menu), basic cheaty stuff like mass dumping, map revealing, tile editing and lava/item spawning, that nifty UI bit that lets you dictate the exact reagents for hardcoded reactions, on-fly binary patching, Workflow, applying venom and other nasty crap to weapons and bolts and some other stuff I forgot. And that's all built-in.

See here for most of the commands and the thread OP for the new stuff.

And then there's the actual user-made plugins like TWBT and MouseQuery that are total gamechangers.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 15, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, digv, workflow, job-material change, renaming (especially levers and stockpiles), improved stocks display, search in everything. Less so showmood, seedwatch, autochop, lever.

I was surprised to see whoever saying that they found dfhack unstable. None of the released versions of dfhack I've used going back a couple of years have given me any stability issues. Some of the scripts don't handle edge cases extremely well, but not fatally either.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Glory of Arioch posted:

Just DwarfTherapist.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dwarf Therapist is without a doubt the most useful thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thanks. I use the heck out of Dwarf Therapist, but I'd never tried the dfhack stuff. I'll have to give some of that a shot this weekend -- the parts that aren't blatantly cheating, anyways. digv looks pretty nice.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Anybody else ever have a dwarf inexplicably teleport up through a channeled ceiling?

Last night I had two dwarfs (a vampire/militia captain and a beekeeper) randomly wind up two z-levels above where they should have been. They were working on the bottom floor of a three-tiered collapsing chamber, and the two levels above them were completely free-standing, only held up by supports. They blipped off of z-level N and reappeared on z-level N+2. Then they couldn't get back down and everything went to hell.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Anybody else ever have a dwarf inexplicably teleport up through a channeled ceiling?

Last night I had two dwarfs (a vampire/militia captain and a beekeeper) randomly wind up two z-levels above where they should have been. They were working on the bottom floor of a three-tiered collapsing chamber, and the two levels above them were completely free-standing, only held up by supports. They blipped off of z-level N and reappeared on z-level N+2. Then they couldn't get back down and everything went to hell.

Maybe they jumped up, for some reason, and decided to cling to the wall or supports?

e: Maybe dwarves are like cats and they can climb up without a problem, but coming down is?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

"cleanowned scattered" is wonderful for finally getting rid of the multitudes of loose junk your filthy alcoholic midgets leave strewn about. Running that in the forts I had built up without dfhack resulted in thousands of Dump jobs :xd:

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Lawman 0 posted:

I already had some stonefall traps scattered around but yeah I think im gonna go with spamming cage traps in a hallway.

The most devastating trap you can probably make without pumping magma to the surface is a hallway of 10 upright spikes on each tile all hooked to a single lever that a dwarf activates on repeat when there are enemies in the hallway. You can do it with glass spikes too so you can have it up and running within the first year. I will say though it can make things a little boring.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

ProfessorGroove posted:

The most devastating trap you can probably make without pumping magma to the surface is a hallway of 10 upright spikes on each tile all hooked to a single lever that a dwarf activates on repeat when there are enemies in the hallway. You can do it with glass spikes too so you can have it up and running within the first year. I will say though it can make things a little boring.

You'd be surprised how dodgy Goblin/Human Lords are. I just had a siege wherein a goblin hammerlord danced through an entire hallway of weapons traps filled with various instruments of death before he got stuck in a cage.

Definitely dumping his rear end into the volcano. I've got a full squad of hammerlords, but I know they'd probably get pummeled fighting a legendary dodger.

EDIT: Also, Wereanimals are ludicrously tough. A werepanda showed up, and my axe dwarves spent like three minutes chopping it into little bits before someone finally cut it in two. It never 'gave into pain'.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'm pretty sure the quality of the stuff in the trap decides how hard it is to dodge. Anyway upright spikes on a switch fire so fast each group of 10 will get multiple tries to hit and you can have lots of groups of 10. Another advantage of upright spikes vs weapon traps is wagons can walk through them. Cage traps are boring anyway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I T B E G I N S

Toady One posted:

I decided to do some random suggestions today, just to get that started. Poles took a while, so it isn't a long list. I'll be back to bugs tomorrow.

• Added optional confirmation window after preparing embark (default: pops up if points remain)
  • Printed job after name when following unit
  • Added pole-setting parameters for world gen, allowed north+south pole and no-pole options
  • Marked dwarves as "New Arrival" on unit/job screen instead of "No Job" while they are new
  • Made several export filenames use the format (region)-YYYYY-MM-DD-(etc)
  • Added error for unrecognized CREATURE in entity raw

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

dual poles...? are we finally going to move towards toroidal maps?

edit : I guess not always having a hot pole and a cold pole would be a nice start regardless.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I still maintain that atom smashers are the finest product when it comes to personal home defense. Sure, you don't get to pick up any of the loot after the fact, but big deal.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Haifisch posted:

I had them chained near ramps outside, so that's probably it. Seems weird that nothing happened for four years of my fort's life, but that's DF for you.

they were probably falling and hitting themselves over and over again like some sort of hosed up chain/escalator accident

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I still maintain that atom smashers are the finest product when it comes to personal home defense. Sure, you don't get to pick up any of the loot after the fact, but big deal.

They definitely were the finest home defense strategy for a while, but with the addition of Forgotten Beasts and various other non-smashable monsters, the dwarven atom smasher is slowly going the way of the dinosaur.

Plus, the military has been improved tremendously since the heyday of the Atom smasher. I guess Toady wants players to take a more pro-active stance toward their defense than setting a lever to repeat.

But lead minecarts, now...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just got sieged on my first winter. I have 17 dorfs. They killed one yak, then all the invaders freaked the gently caress out about the corpse and ran off the map. :iit:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't get how "death causes mass panic" isn't the top three things on Toady's list. I just donated, maybe I'll use "freaking out over dead bodies is overdone" as my quote.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well to some degree the panic at death is a neat feature but the rate at which dwarves gain discipline should probably be looked at.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm assuming this is a bug that literally anything on the map is causing all my dwarfs to become terrified and run away from it? My fledgling fort was bought to it's knees by a single manela walking into the fort and my entire army running away from it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm not seeing the fear thing happen? The only thing that has caused my dwarves to freak out is being heavily outnumbered by undead soldiers.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think Toady's quite as devoted to Dwarf Fortress development as people think. If this bugfixing period is anything to go by he puts in a standard 8 hour day or less meaning he has a life on the side.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think Toady's quite as devoted to Dwarf Fortress development as people think. If this bugfixing period is anything to go by he puts in a standard 8 hour day or less meaning he has a life on the side.

Thank god. If he burns out, we're all doomed.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
I can tell you that titan's can certainly take a catapult shot to the face. Either that or my dwarfs suck and were missing after hundreds of attempts.

Either way, he still wasn't immune to having lava dumped on him.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TheCIASentMe posted:

I can tell you that titan's can certainly take a catapult shot to the face. Either that or my dwarfs suck and were missing after hundreds of attempts.

Either way, he still wasn't immune to having lava dumped on him.

glass titans/FBs can handle lava just fine. Crystal glass basically requires masterwork steel to break.

:iit:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My experience with titans and the like is that they either die instantly because they're made of steam and just fall apart as soon as they exist, or they are impossible to kill because they are an amorphous blob of adamantium without even a head to get lucky and remove.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I love how a tantrumming hammer lord slaughter five people and the only response from CotG is a beating that puts his eye. :allears:

Also, an FB just showed up made of Basalt. Welp, definitely not going in the cavern anymore.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

A White Guy posted:

Also, an FB just showed up made of Basalt. Welp, definitely not going in the cavern anymore.

Put together a special squad of pick-wielding ex-miners. Rocks that are trying to kill you can't be that much trickier than normal rocks, right?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I don't get how "death causes mass panic" isn't the top three things on Toady's list. I just donated, maybe I'll use "freaking out over dead bodies is overdone" as my quote.

Yeah, I'm basically just waiting for this to get fixed to actually start playing again.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

Put together a special squad of pick-wielding ex-miners. Rocks that are trying to kill you can't be that much trickier than normal rocks, right?

I wish. I guess I could try to lure him into the water and then dump magma on him, but elsewise there's pretty much nothing I can do against that without resulting in FUN.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Nearly lost my fort to the tantrum spiral after elves killed my swordsdwarves. A migrant wave comes in, and while they freak out over the bodies a flying leech forgotten beast shows up. The new expedition leader kills it on sight, then succumbs to being punched in the head by a child throwing a tantrum. Everyone in the hospital starves. I've got two workers left, just churning out caskets and piling up the corpses. The outpost liaison said he hopes to see us next year. rear end in a top hat.

Let's hope the new migrant wave doesn't reignite the tantrum spiral.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

So hey Urist got back on his uristmobile and is dropping science again:

UristDaVinci posted:

Pulping appears to work by evaluating the layers in a body part. If each layer meets any one of the following criteria then the body part is pulped:
a) 100% bruised/burned/frostbite/melt/necrosis/blister/boil/freeze/condense (i.e. 10000+ in layer_effect_fraction)
b) 250% dented (i.e. 25000+ in layer_dent_fraction)
c) 100% cut (i.e. 10000+ in layer_cut_fraction) (cut in this case is synonymous with fracture)

Spines, skulls, and perhaps other body parts have the [PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE] token which prevents the parent body part (such as the head, upper body, or lower body) from being pulped until the sub-part is broken. It appears that only external body parts can be pulped, not internal organs. You will find that boneless body parts that don't contain a spine/skull part will pulp VERY easily (i.e. eyes/ears).

There does not appear to be any distinctions between the combat text descriptions of the pulping, beyond the messages being appropriate to the weapon used (edged, blunt, or creature body part).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, I'm basically just waiting for this to get fixed to actually start playing again.

I have never seen this bug. In fact I had a great experience today where a flock of keas was scared off by all my trained war dogs.

The freakouts don't last forever and they build discipline.