Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Close the Camps: Clive Palmer
Palmer United Party federal leader and Member for Fairfax, Clive Palmer, has called for the immediate closure of immigration detention camps because of their huge human and financial cost.
“Australia needs to move quickly to close these detention centres and implement a scheme to deal with the issue in a better way,’’ Mr Palmer said.
“The human and financial cost is too great if we are to continue with the Government’s current policy. Now is the time to make the change,’’ he said.
“On top of the very worrying human rights issues, the financial burden of running these centres is unjustifiable at a time when the government is cutting back its support to single mothers, families and pensioners.”
“I am calling on the Immigration Minister to find a better way and show leadership on this issue,’’ Mr Palmer said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

i got banned posted:

It's pretty simple why he said what he did when you consider he is a Monarchist

Aren't the scots keeping a monarchy even if they become independent, seeing as they already keep a seperate numbering system for monarchs to the english?

Also what in the actual gently caress you dumb poo poo abbott. Who could possibly think that is a thing that you should say?

edit: maybe he go confused and thought ISIS was the Islamic State of Iraq and Scotland :confused:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:psyduck:

Self-determination is an enemy of freedom. Flawless logic brought to you by the Commonwealth of Australia.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Last month we had Garnaut singing Bishop's praises, earlier this month there was a news limited piece praising her and now we have Hartcher doing the same thing. No idea why they all keep writing this.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/julie-bishop-a-firm-gaze-and-straight-talk-from-an-unflappable-foreign-minister-20140815-104nca.html

quote:

Watching Abbott’s forthright performance, Obama remarked to aides: “We need a few more Tony Abbotts in the world,” according to US officials.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Scylo posted:

Last month we had Garnaut singing Bishop's praises, earlier this month there was a news limited piece praising her and now we have Hartcher doing the same thing. No idea why they all keep writing this.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/julie-bishop-a-firm-gaze-and-straight-talk-from-an-unflappable-foreign-minister-20140815-104nca.html

"To make us all look much better in comparison"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
These are from The Daily Telegraph

quote:

The things being said about him in Coalition ranks in ­recent days are remarkably harsh. This, for example, from a frustrated Liberal MP: “We work our butts off selling the Budget. Then along comes Hindenburg Hockey.”

Another line from a Liberal yesterday was: “People criticised Joe for going on holidays to Fiji. Now some of us are sorry he came back”.

A cricket tragic on the ­Coalition side said: “The highest scorer for the Opposition is actually the ‘extras’ column — and it’s mostly off Joe’s bowling”.

The Treasurer is so on the nose at the moment that the national newspaper, The Australian, felt the need to run a front-page article yesterday warning against any thought that he should be sacked.

He “goes from train wreck to car wreck and makes a bad Budget situation worse”, the writer conceded, but argued that dumping him at this stage would be even more damaging to the government.

Congratulations Joe, NewsCorp doesn't even know how to address you anymore.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like they're circling the wagons around Hockey. Is there any precedent for ditching a treasurer?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Won't happen, but my god the tears on his stupid billowing face would be glorious.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
:ducksiren: Requesting Advice :ducksiren:

Completely off-topic but I'm hoping someone who's done this before might be able to help out.

Since my mum passed away I've had to pay rent on her caravan and annex while waiting to find out if I have permission to sell it. It's in a long-term residential park that was previously administered by the Public Trustee, but has just been sold to a company that does retirement homes and the like. With the sale I have also been given permission to sell, which is good because otherwise it'd have to be torn down and carted away at my own expense.

I really need to sell it ASAP because it's costing me a bomb just having it sit there. I've had a lot of interested people but no-one willing to close the deal - until just now. However the guy who wants to buy it can't come up with the funds all in one hit and wants to pay a lump sum of about half and then sign a contract for $1000 per month until it's paid off.

The sale is all being handled privately and there aren't any fees or the like because it's not a property sale per se. So, my question is has anyone been in this situation? What should I know about creating a contract to ensure that it's legally binding if it should come to it? The guy seems generally trustworthy, but I'm loath to go into an arrangement like this with no legal protection if it should come down to it.

Any advice would be incredibly welcome as I can't find a lot of good resources particular to Australian law online.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Won't happen, but my god the tears on his stupid billowing face would be glorious.
It may look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fcGRXBFANA

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Biggest grin watching this again

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Orkin Mang posted:

Sounds like they're circling the wagons around Hockey. Is there any precedent for ditching a treasurer?

Yeah, but not recently.

There also hasn't been a big reshuffle yet.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Orkin Mang posted:

Circling the wagons means to defend. This is more circling like sharks getting ready to attack.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Nuclear Spy posted:

Just started watching this series, bloody brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

All six episodes were great, on the odd chance that you missed this two pages ago - go watch it now.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
So Abbott reshuffles in order to restore faith (as it's cheaper than a DD) and we have Mathias Cormann selling us budget 2.0?

Hockey to become minister for sports? :v:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think I need to get a dashcam for the future, but can you just report dangerous driving to the cops/crime stoppers and expect something to be done about it? Even if you get a license plate, I feel like it'll just be one person's word against another's and nothing would come of it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

WebDog posted:

So Abbott reshuffles in order to restore faith (as it's cheaper than a DD) and we have Mathias Cormann selling us budget 2.0?

Hockey to become minister for sports? :v:

He's got hustle!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

SadisTech posted:

:ducksiren: Requesting Advice :ducksiren:

Completely off-topic but I'm hoping someone who's done this before might be able to help out.

Since my mum passed away I've had to pay rent on her caravan and annex while waiting to find out if I have permission to sell it. It's in a long-term residential park that was previously administered by the Public Trustee, but has just been sold to a company that does retirement homes and the like. With the sale I have also been given permission to sell, which is good because otherwise it'd have to be torn down and carted away at my own expense.

I really need to sell it ASAP because it's costing me a bomb just having it sit there. I've had a lot of interested people but no-one willing to close the deal - until just now. However the guy who wants to buy it can't come up with the funds all in one hit and wants to pay a lump sum of about half and then sign a contract for $1000 per month until it's paid off.

The sale is all being handled privately and there aren't any fees or the like because it's not a property sale per se. So, my question is has anyone been in this situation? What should I know about creating a contract to ensure that it's legally binding if it should come to it? The guy seems generally trustworthy, but I'm loath to go into an arrangement like this with no legal protection if it should come down to it.

Any advice would be incredibly welcome as I can't find a lot of good resources particular to Australian law online.

Your instincts about not going into this situation without a legally binding contract are absolutely rock solid. However, the question "How do I draw up a contract so that it's legally binding if I need it to be" is basically "can someone give me a crash course in contract law". You should be pretty skeptical of anyone who says they can do that for you.

I would see if you can get legal aid or a community legal centre to help you draw up a straightforward contract. If you can't, you may be able to get a law firm (maybe a small suburban firm) to help you do it on the cheap.

If you are in Victoria, the Law Institute of Victoria has a list of law practices that will give you a free 30 minute consult. Other states might have something similar.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Tomberforce posted:

In other news the bland spread of the Coles/Woolworths duopoly continues in Perth with plans to bulldoze the genuinely vibrant and interesting Subiaco Station Street markets and imaginatively replace them with...... a Coles! This is approximately 100 metres from a large Woolworths and about 1km away from the nearest large Coles. I guess they've cottoned on to people having an option to buy fresh produce at less than half the cost of the large supermarkets and have decided to put a stop to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-12/plans-to-shut-down-subiaco-markets2c-open-mixed-office-and-com/5666336

The subi markets lost more than half their space years ago to another development anyway. The writings been on the wall for years, the land is worth way too much to be used for 2 days a week.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Orkin Mang posted:

If it happens, the SMH can just reuse this headline:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nuclear Spy posted:

If it happens, the SMH can just reuse this headline:

What's the status on Hockey's lawsuit, anybody know?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's the status on Hockey's lawsuit, anybody know?

Last I heard it seems a bit stonewalled as Fairfax is requesting the identities of the rich anonymous donors to that article and the Hockey side is refusing to comply.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Lid posted:

Last I heard it seems a bit stonewalled as Fairfax is requesting the identities of the rich anonymous donors to that article and the Hockey side is refusing to comply.
Abbott on the Royal commission into union corruption

quote:

"Good unions have nothing to fear from this royal commission,"

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I like pasting this link to people who go "stop picking on Joe, he's a good man who is making some mistakes".

http://www.edenriley.com/2014/05/the-day-joe-hockey-pissed-off.html

No, he's a "good man" to people he considers it worthwhile and in his best interest to be "good" to - like his peers or his wife. Anyone else can eat a bag of soggy dicks, in his world.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

But surely people who are innocent have nothing to hide

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I got a reply from Wayne Swans electorate officer.

I emailed Wayne Swan on Thursday.

quote:

Wayne Swan,

I'd like to take the time to tell you I support you and feel you were a better treasurer, MP and human being than our current malicious idiot Smokin' Joe Hockey who ingloriously holds the position you once did. I quake a the thought of what rampant bastardry and economic vandalism the sitting Federal LNP will conduct over the next two painful years.
I have lived in your electorate for a year now having moved from Macgregor and I had the sharp displeasure of meeting Rob McGarvie while moving in right before the election. As I was moving furniture a blue shirted goon going house to house caught my attention and tried to ask me to vote LNP. I quizzed him on his partys stance on the NBN and whether my new residence will have speedy internet. Unable to provide a response he called Rob over from doorknocking the other side of the road to answer my questions. Rob gave me a firm handshake and proceeded to deflect and declare my questions about NBN, uncosted policies, cronyism, 'boat people', hostility towards science and climate change to be unfounded and unimportant. On the topic of refugees he regaled me with a tale of his work in africa and their refugees.
When I pointed out that our refugees are coming largely from the Middle east and SE asia, were genuine refugees and not illegal, he told me I was wrong, I didnt know what i was talking about, and his posse of three blue shirted goons scowled at me. We continued to discuss these topics and i was told i was wrong again, until finally my girlfriend called me away to continue unpacking the house.

I'm a scientist, and the lack of a science ministry that might stop the continued slashing of the CSIRO budget concerns me greatly. I'm also very concerned about the inhuman treatment of a paltry amount of refugees being incarcerated offshore including children, on this both major parties are in the wrong here with the Pacific Solution being instigated by the Rudd Government and not being improved by subsequent ones. And the systematic destruction of the FTTH NBN by the LNP is something that fills me with bile.
I met a project officer for Cloud Sigma while in Geneva and he told me of the middleware work they were doing to join numerous vast databases together to provide comparative analysis to benefit health, education, disease tracking and outbreak management and linking other Big Data projects like social mapping and town planning. These lofty Big Data projects require speedy backbones like the NBN, and I feel we will miss out on this.

Rod McGarvie showed that he was unfit to represent my interests, choosing instead to dictate them to me.

I dont know how to end this, but I feel I have few avenues to take action so I'm choosing to write to my MP and express my views and concerns. Please take them under advisement and make a stand in parliament for me.
Thanks [Kommando] BSc. (Chem)

And the reply:

quote:

Dear [Kommando],

Wayne thanks you for your email regarding Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey’s short-sighted Government and has asked me to thank you also for your support.

Your encounter during the 2013 campaign with Mr McGarvie was unfortunate – however his unwillingness to listen to your perspectives and properly answer your questions was a precursor to the style of Government that we have seen unfold since Tony Abbott took government.

As you note, Tony Abbott’s priorities do not rest with allowing Australia to fulfil its potential in science and research (compounded by cuts to higher education more broadly) , nor with a properly constructed NBN to meet our future needs. Additionally, this Government’s attacks on the vulnerable are too numerous to detail here, but please note that Opposition Leader Bill Shorten and Labor’s spokesperson for Immigration and Border Protection Richard Marles have repeatedly called on the Government for greater transparency in relation to their treatment of people seeking refuge in Australia.

Wayne is appreciative of the time you have taken to share your thoughts with him.

While in government Labor pursued an ambitious social and economic reform agenda that included, among other things: the rollout of the NBN to support the inevitable requirements of business, households and our healthcare and education systems; the progression of carbon pricing for a clean energy future; once in a generation reform of disability support services with the introduction of Australia’s first ever national disability insurance scheme; Australia’s first national paid parental leave scheme; superannuation reform to ensure those on lower incomes would be better supported in retirement; reform of financial services to protect the best interests of clients; an historic increase to the pension and improved indexation arrangements; Australia’s largest ever mental health package to improve access to support, prevention, and early intervention; improved targeting of the private health insurance rebate; historic investments in schools and education; as well as the repeal of Work Choices legislation – all this while keeping interest rates at record lows and containing inflation and unemployment despite the Global Financial Crisis and its aftermath.

Joe Hockey’s budget is a recipe for growing social inequality. Wayne, along with the rest of the Labor Opposition, continues to advocate for policies which will support Australia’s potential for economic growth but not at the expense of a fairer society.

Once more, thank you for your email to Wayne.

Kind regards,

Angela

I'm reasonably satisfied with that response.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Gough Suppressant posted:

But surely people who are innocent have nothing to hide

That's true and why the success of ICAC will no doubt be expanded federally.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Kommando posted:

I got a reply from Wayne Swans electorate officer.

I emailed Wayne Swan on Thursday.

And the reply:

I'm reasonably satisfied with that response.

Nice work.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Those On My Left posted:

Your instincts about not going into this situation without a legally binding contract are absolutely rock solid. However, the question "How do I draw up a contract so that it's legally binding if I need it to be" is basically "can someone give me a crash course in contract law". You should be pretty skeptical of anyone who says they can do that for you.

I would see if you can get legal aid or a community legal centre to help you draw up a straightforward contract. If you can't, you may be able to get a law firm (maybe a small suburban firm) to help you do it on the cheap.

If you are in Victoria, the Law Institute of Victoria has a list of law practices that will give you a free 30 minute consult. Other states might have something similar.

Thank you. drat it. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be that simple. You helped a lot by suggesting I look for free legal advice services, however, which led me to http://www.qails.org.au/default.asp. I'll call a few places on their list on Monday and see what they have to say. Googling for 'contract of sale', 'pro forma contract', 'contract example' and around a million other attempts had brought me to exactly jack poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jon Kudelka posted:

All Australian nationals returning from Scotland now required to prove they were not fighting for Scottish independence

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
Annual Pollie Pedal Cycling Event

Brain injuries are a terrible thing - but I think it might be a relatively smooth transition for the PM.

quote:

Abbott told reporters, “It is nice to swap the RAAF jet for the bike.”

Who am I kidding. Hope your bike disintegrates and you're promptly run over by a News Corp support car, you gently caress.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Abbott can spend as much time in an F-35 as he wants as far as I'm concerned.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

How long before Abbott starts wondering why our police don't have access to military gear?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pudding Space posted:

Annual Pollie Pedal Cycling Event

Brain injuries are a terrible thing - but I think it might be a relatively smooth transition for the PM.

Who am I kidding. Hope your bike disintegrates and you're promptly run over by a News Corp support car, you gently caress.

I like to imagine it like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85vsCS-b0g

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

xutech posted:

How long before Abbott starts wondering why our police don't have access to military gear?

They do. Don't you remember when those Bearcat armoured cars were purchased for every state's police force tactical units, including Tasmania of all places.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Pictured: a Queensland Police "Rescue Vehicle"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
"Then we rescued the gently caress out of them."

"When we were finished they were rescued to a crisp."

Maybe they can rescue Joe's budget:

One last fearless journal posted:

6 Aug 2014 The Weekend Australian ANNABEL HEPWORTH

‘Fix budget, quit the argy-bargy’

:siren:SHEPHERD WARNS OF LOSS OF CONFIDENCE:siren:

NATIONAL Commission of Audit chairman Tony Shepherd has urged the Coalition and crossbench senators to reach a compromise on the budget, warning uncertainty will drain business confidence and distract the government from other important reforms. Amid escalating frustration in the business community about the Senate derailing the Coalition’s agenda, the former Business Council of Australia president and respected company director :lol: has likened maintaining current government spending levels to a “short-term sugar hit”. Writing in The Weekend Australian today, Mr Shepherd says that in the “toing and froing” on the budget, people have lost sight of why government spending needs to be cut.

“Special interest groups say not us but the naysayers are not offering realistic alternatives to reducing expenditure and returning the budget to a sustainable surplus,” he writes. If Australia continues down the fiscal path it’s on, there will be “no reserve” to deal with a future crisis. And failing to put the budget on a sustainable path will “saddle our children and grandchildren with our profligacy”. “But eventually we, and the rest of the world, will wake up,” he writes. “We will then be forced to take drastic action which will be far more difficult for the community and the economy to absorb.”

The comments come after Andrew Liveris, Australian-born chief executive of US multinational Dow Chemical, warned on Thursday that the “scary” new political paradigm was an “embarrassment on the world stage” over the past six years. Business leaders have been lining up to warn about the risks of a dysfunctional Senate as Joe Hockey has tried to negotiate deals on unpopular budget savings. Former BHP Billiton chairman Don Argus has recently decried as “nonsense” that budget measures could be blocked by the Senate and warned this could stunt the economy.

Problems with the political setting are expected to be discussed at this weekend’s closed-door ADC Forum retreat at Hayman Island, which will be attended by senior politicians, bureaucrats and chief executives. Corporate leaders from Telstra, BHP Billiton, ANZ and GE Mining have also warned about the budget impasse and called on the business community to back the government’s agenda — a call echoed today by Mr Shepherd, who writes that the Coalition was voted in with an election platform that made fiscal reform a central pillar. “I trust the minor parties and independents will recognise what the government is seeking to achieve and recognise this is not the time for sectoral or special interests to prevail,” he says. But he also says all sides will need to come to the table. “This will require negotiation with the minor parties and independents in the Senate and compromise on both sides,” Mr Shepherd says. “This is democracy.”

Long-term structural savings including the $7 GP co-payment, university deregulation and the fuel excise are opposed by the Palmer United Party, while other crossbenchers fear the impacts of the budget on low-income earners. While the Treasurer has crisscrossed Australia in a bid to secure support from powerful crossbenchers for his budget, doubts within Coalition ranks have emerged over his selling of a tough budget. The audit commission’s report warned that to “do nothing” would result in a string of deficits to 2023-24, while the situation would worsen after that.

However, it was released on May 1 — less than a fortnight before Mr Hockey delivered the budget. Critics say it was released too close to the budget, meaning there was not enough time to explain the structural challenges to voters and argue the need for action. Speaking to The Weekend Australian yesterday, Mr Shepherd said convincing people of unpopular reforms took time. “The Australian public are one of the best educated in the world and if things are explained carefully to them, even though they are not happy, they will come on board,” he said. “And this does take time.”

In his article today, he notes the commission’s report is not the budget. But both assume “we are living beyond our means” and that this gets worse in later years as the cost of spending on new programs, including the National Disability Insurance Scheme, ramps up. Mr Shepherd writes today that tax reform is “necessary”, but bringing the budget back to a “sustainable” surplus by revenue measures alone would “strangle the economy”. He singles out the top marginal tax rate of 49 per cent and the company tax rate, which was higher than that in Britain.
A master piece, of it's kind.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

It's wonderful. He cries and moans that special interest groups should shut up and bend over so his special interest group can have even more money shovelled towards them, and bemoans the budget situation while advocating for less tax revenue for the government.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

A master piece, of it's kind.

Big business doesn't understand why the Government won't crush the losers already. News at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
The people voted for fiscal reform, they want to be crushed has hard as possible and this was totally made clear to them before the election. Oh, by the way, record profits from everyone this year

• Locked thread