Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Armour Hunter Mellowlink, which is a prequel iirc is also on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs5mAN26aQ0

80's anime was the best :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not really a prequel, the main character of the TV series just makes a cameo in the funniest episode. Make a gif of the part where they stab Merrowlink in the feet with forks

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Space Dandy

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Here's a question, how the hell do I go about watching Evangelion? Any time I look it up online or whatever there's like a billion different things and they always seem to have different subtitles and I really do not have the slightest clue where I begin or what to do.

All I wanna do is watch it, is that so much to ask

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's got a pretty easy watch order.

TV series
End of Evangelion
Evangelion Rebuilds

Even if you are unsatisfied with the controversial and polarizing series ending, it's worth watching End of Eva and the Rebuilds regardless.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Balobam posted:

Yep, it's impossible without :files: or super expensive used copies since it's way out of print. The ones making that call are actually the rights holders in Japan, who let it go out of print in Japan as well. They haven't said why (Anno said that it's no longer relevant to contemporary viewers but that's probably not going to stop a release), but it's probably because they're afraid of one cannibalize sales of each other. There's a lot of people who would buy both, but just as many that would only love Eva enough to buy one or the other, but would buy the movie now and eventually be persuaded to buy the original series when that comes out.

There's definitely a demand for a re-release, so once the movies are done we'll for sure see one, but unfortunately it's good business sense to keep it in the vault for now.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Balobam posted:

Here's a question, how the hell do I go about watching Evangelion? Any time I look it up online or whatever there's like a billion different things and they always seem to have different subtitles and I really do not have the slightest clue where I begin or what to do.

I think it's best experienced in 320x180 RealMedia files downloaded from LimeWire, with subtitles so artifacted that they're more of a gentle guideline.

Attack on Titan OVA 3

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I just realise saying "subtitles" was less clear than I intended, and meant the word Evangelion is usually followed by different stuff, which adds to the confusion, but if it's just a series then various films then that sounds a lot more manageable than what I thought was a bunch of different series'!

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Balobam posted:

I just realise saying "subtitles" was less clear than I intended, and meant the word Evangelion is usually followed by different stuff, which adds to the confusion, but if it's just a series then various films then that sounds a lot more manageable than what I thought was a bunch of different series'!

Yeah. The short version of the running order is Neon Genesis Eva (the TV series) > End of Eva (film) > Rebuild films (Eva 1.11, Eva 2.22 et al).

There's a couple of other things in there (Death and Rebirth recap films), but they're largely skippable.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

The ones making that call are actually the rights holders in Japan, who let it go out of print in Japan as well. They haven't said why (Anno said that it's no longer relevant to contemporary viewers but that's probably not going to stop a release), but it's probably because they're afraid of one cannibalize sales of each other. There's a lot of people who would buy both, but just as many that would only love Eva enough to buy one or the other, but would buy the movie now and eventually be persuaded to buy the original series when that comes out.

In Japan at least, people just don't buy DVDs as much we do in the west. People mostly just rent (even now as Japan doesn't have any digital streaming services worth having) and every rental store already has a set of the Evangelion DVDs so there's not much money if any in re-releasing it in Japan.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Planetes

Bonus: that loving screw

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

It's got a pretty easy watch order.

TV series
End of Evangelion
Evangelion Rebuilds

Even if you are unsatisfied with the controversial and polarizing series ending, it's worth watching End of Eva and the Rebuilds regardless.

Regarding the TV series, you specifically want the Platinum version. The video and audio's remastered, plus it adds a lot of extra stuff to some of the later episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zeether posted:

Planetes
Bonus: that loving screw

I love the Planetes manga but the anime has a problem of just too much expanded stuff.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
dunno

Giant Robo

Space Dandy

Barakamon

Nozaki-kun

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Something I've always loved with older mecha/sci-fi anime is the effort put in to make it look like the big-rear end machine actually works whenever they show a peek under the armor. Just all the little components doing their own thing to make it look like the fancy future-tech device is actually doing something rather than just being a blinking box :allears:. Like the Wave Motion Gun in Space Battleship Yamato isn't just a few buttons on the bridge, it's half the crew doing a bunch of individual tasks to get the engine spinning up and removing a bunch of safeties.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I've always loved with older mecha/sci-fi anime is the effort put in to make it look like the big-rear end machine actually works whenever they show a peek under the armor. Just all the little components doing their own thing to make it look like the fancy future-tech device is actually doing something rather than just being a blinking box :allears:. Like the Wave Motion Gun in Space Battleship Yamato isn't just a few buttons on the bridge, it's half the crew doing a bunch of individual tasks to get the engine spinning up and removing a bunch of safeties.

The SDF in Macross is cool when it transforms and everyone has to go to shelters because entire buildings start moving.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

SmokaDustbowl posted:

The SDF in Macross is cool when it transforms and everyone has to go to shelters because entire buildings start moving.

Japan loving loves people filing into shelters in an orderly manner because of giant monsters attacking and so do I.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Parasyte looks loving cool:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Is this Parasite Eve: The Anime or something?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Lance Streetman posted:

Sweet! I just read the manga earlier this year, had no idea it was going to be animated. I wonder if the show will have as many tucked-in polo shirts. The whole thing was mid-80s as hell, though the art was still top-notch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Catts posted:

Is this Parasite Eve: The Anime or something?

Naw, it predates it (although not by a whole lot); it's more like The Thing and/or Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Mawaru Penguindrum

Kyousougiga

Chaika the Coffin Princess season 2 preview

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
You people are the worst.
As much as I abhor the idea of a government monitoring its citizens, anime fans are the single greatest threat to children.

Kill yourselves.

No irony. Just do the world a favour, and help your weeping, shame-filled parents save some money for their retirement.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Pudding Space posted:

As much as I abhor the idea of a government monitoring its citizens, anime fans are the single greatest threat to children.

Kill yourselves.

No irony. Just do the world a favour, and help your weeping, shame-filled parents save some money for their retirement.

Cool story bro. :thumbsup:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pudding Space posted:

Kill yourselves.

Hey hey, look look at me! I'm being absolute worst thing! Look look, anime hey look!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pudding Space posted:

Kill yourselves.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Pudding Space posted:

Kill yourselves.

You are supposed to post a gif

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

GorfZaplen posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808

From a while back but: http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/do7RsZ3.gif&v=iHW1ho8L7V8&s=10

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 11:37 on Aug 16, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is excellent.

California Crisis

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Space Dandy

Little Witch Academia

Spirited Away

Lain

Cowboy Bebop

Some Macross something or other

AKIRA

The Running Man

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

Kind of weird that it's just getting an anime adaptation because the manga is kind of old.

The premise, for anyone wondering, is that weird parasites start falling from the sky and they begin to infect whatever they encounter. When they hit a human they go to the head and replace it with their own shape shifting body, the rest of the human body remains normal. The main character gets infected but the parasite gets stuck down in his right hand and replaces that instead. He teams up with his now sentient shapeshifting hand to hunt down and kill the other parasites because they're eating people.

Nothing really plot spoiler-y in that but it would probably spoil the first episode if you know nothing about the series.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of weird that it's just getting an anime adaptation because the manga is kind of old.

I think they're trying to bring it back. They're also releasing two live-action adaptations soon. Those are gonna depend heavily on the quality of the special effects, though.

And yeah, the original manga is really good and well worth reading.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How many difficulty-with-masturbation gags are there

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

How many difficulty-with-masturbation gags are there

None that I recall, but there is this: http://i.imgur.com/8PtEvCt.jpg (NSFW)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a feeling that panel was from this after finding out that the alien replaced his right hand.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

postin anime on the internet, making people mad

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of right hands, Midori Days:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is one of my favorite gifs because it's been used to trick people into watching Midori Days(which is weird and cute but middling at best) when the show has literally nothing to do with that gif.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't that the show where that guy's right hand turns into a tiny teenage girl?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Toradora

Don't know, don't care

Honey and Clover

^^^not a gif, just funny

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

shoujomangafans.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't that the show where that guy's right hand turns into a tiny teenage girl?
Yeah. It came out a decade ago so I might be forgetting some of it, but I think it was surprisingly tame for such an innuendo-fueled premise.

• Locked thread